Teez's stuff

Hello!
When I'm messing around in Photoshop and chatting about Berserk on the forum chatroom, then of course I get tempted to paint it... so here's something from last night

farnezecaska.jpg

Looking forward to continue browsing the forums and to meeting more of you! (Go in the chatroom more, you guys!)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Easily one of the best pieces of fanart posted on the site. Bra-vo! :ubik: :ubik: :ubik:

The only thing keeping me from calling it perfect is that to me, Farnese's face seems a little strange, and not a perfect resemblance. I also think the Qliphoth should be a little darker than what's shown here. Remember, Schierke had to cast a spell on her staff in order to light the way through it.

But the colors, atmosphere, lighting, and overall style of this thing are utterly fantastic.

By the gods, this is amazing! Nice job on the girls' hairs and clothing, great facial expressions as well.

Don't mean to be an ass, but does your avatar have a bigger version? I'd love to see it in its original size. :carcus:

Bekul, glad to hear you might be visiting the chatroom more ;D

Thanks Walter for the helpful crit, I'll definitely be keeping it in mind when I touch it up !

And Eluvei, yep there's a bigger version, but it's a WIP. I'll try to wrap it up next chance I get to work on it. Hopefully soon, since I just wanna chug these things out instead of noodle too much on a single one... Berserk provides so many ideas for speedy painting that it's making me ADD! :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a noob question, but what's your medium? Is this thing ALL in photoshop? It doesn't look like it to me. If not, what kinds of paints, canvas and brush do you use when you work on something like this? Also, how big is the original?

Walter- Yep, it's all Photoshop. There are custom brushes, textures, and tricks to use that can emulate real brushstrokes rather convincingly. If you want, later today I can put up a screencap to show some of those brushes.
I don't have the full res image right now to check, but typically I like to work on a canvas at least 3000 pixels on one side.

If I were to do this in traditional, I'd have done it with Winsor Newton watercolor + gouache. For me they are the most portable and fastest of the traditional paints, and you can get a nice mixture of transparent and opaque strokes between the two.

Oils are great too but an annoyance to setup and clean (and dry). So I usually just do all my paintings digitally; much faster (and cheaper), and you're free to scribble around and scrap and experimentally edit things.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
:isidro: WOW! When I got quiet in the chatroom for too long, it's because I'm blanking out! This is truly amazing Teez, and making me feel truly lazy... :troll:

Teez.

I will just say one thing : This is the best fan art I've ever seen from Berserk... I checked out your blog, omg your style (environment style in particular) reminds me of Craig Mullins, but I have to say you draw & create your characters even better! :carcus:

While being on your blog I was wondering to myself "Jesus, what the hell can't she draw?" :isidro:

By the way, I looked for your avatar on your blog but I didn't find it. :judo:

Hope to see nice stuff from you again! :slan:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I think my favorite part of that piece is the fog and trees in the background. But seriously, the entire thing is fantastic, and I demand more. :ubik:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Teez said:
Oils are great too but an annoyance to setup and clean (and dry). So I usually just do all my paintings digitally; much faster (and cheaper), and you're free to scribble around and scrap and experimentally edit things.
Amen to that! I've never worked much in oils myself, but I always got the impression from watching other people that it's the painting process itself is much slower. While acrylics might not be the same quality-wise, I think I'm too impatient for anything else. :ganishka: What about you? Judging by how quickly you finished your Schierke and Guts portraits in the oekaki, you're a pretty fast painter.

Anyway, to echo the other comments, that really is a great picture. It looks like you like to play with opacity a lot; how many layers do you typically end up with after you're finished with a piece?

Ah, thank you guys very much for your input!

Grail- Haha yeah, oil takes forever to dry, but you can actually be pretty fast about putting paint down. Alla prima painting is one of my favorite styles to look at and usually those are done in one sitting! But yep, some take months to do... But you're right, I try to paint quickly, if not only because I change my mind too much, get bored quick, and keep wanting to move on haha ;D
As for layers it really depends. Generally I lean more on the layer-heavy side though, since I like to be able to backtrack if need be, even if I usually don't do so. It's kind of a safety crutch, but I'm trying to cut down on that and be more minimal.
Sometimes to keep myself super organized I keep to my "3 layer basics", which would be one layer for the rather rough line drawing, a layer underneath for the colors, and then a layer on top of both (since I usually end up scrapping and/or painting on top of the line drawing). But when I'm doing more experimental things on photoshop, like for this painting, I end up using a lot of layers. I think I had around 47 layers, although some were hidden and never used again. Usually for longer projects that end up accumulating many layers over time, I'd end up flattening them to save the computer / to save my mind from the clutter!

Saephon- haha yeah, the trees were really fun to do. I had fun experimenting on them so I learned a few things from doing them, so they're also part of my favorite as well!

showguynie- thanks! Yeah, Craig Mullins is a total badass! And thanks for dropping by my blog! And nope, my avatar isn't on there, I tend to neglect that thing. Whoops. So yeah, you can be assured my berserk stuff will be on these forums first! lol

Dar Klink- Haha, blanking out! It's ok.

Anyway, for those of you who are curious, here are a few work in progress snap shots. (Well Grail, here's one good thing about keeping so many layers, it's that I can easily hide them to see the different stages of completion...haha!)
caskafarnesesteps.jpg

(Hope it isn't too big. Just got a new monitor and it's hard to judge if I'm spamming you guys with oversized images or not.)

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Teez said:
(Hope it isn't too big. Just got a new monitor and it's hard to judge if I'm spamming you guys with oversized images or not.)

Oh you are. And I love it. :badbone:
Only thing I can suggest, if I may, would be to touch up or remove some of the initial sketch lines. They're most prominent on Farnese and Casca's clothes. I'm assuming the rest of the outline is still in the picture, but those areas are the only places it seems to stand out. I think replacing those with some more tones/shading is what will push it clearly into "painting gallery" territory. :guts:

turkitage

ターク
As I had mentioned in the chat room... this is very amazing! :eek:

Thanks for the work in progress ones too, I always like to see the different stages of a masterpiece!

Teez said:
showguynie- thanks! Yeah, Craig Mullins is a total badass! And thanks for dropping by my blog! And nope, my avatar isn't on there, I tend to neglect that thing. Whoops. So yeah, you can be assured my berserk stuff will be on these forums first! lol

You bet, no need to thank me for visiting your blog... :troll:

By the way, I know it surely is a little complicated for you, but you made me angry with your artwork...

Could it be possible for your next artwork (because I know it, there will be more Berserk stuff from you, It has to be :carcus:) to make some making of? I know this is kind of what you did here with this one, but I am very curious about your steps.
For example: If you're using references, I'd be curious to see them :badbone:, I don't see the point of making a cloud background (for your first step), is that for contrast areas? Don't you ever make a black and white version of your drawing before putting the colors?

Ok I'll stop asking questions... For now. :daiba:

Top Bottom