The Dark Knight

People think I'm crazy when I tell them how superior the animated series was to these new movies. Heath Ledger wasn't bad, but he doesn't even compare to Mark Hamill's insane laugh. They were so beautifully written, acted (Kevin Conroy has the best Batman voice ever, Christian Bale has the worst) and if you wanna see a true two face story, watch the 2 part from season 1, it's so much more emotionally intense then the stupid love triangle bullshit, not to mention the amazing music and background paintings that truly showed the dark side of Gotham.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I love the series too. But I dont think its as great to say its better than the new movies. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the greatest batman media outside the comics with out a doubt. The music for the show was good but it doesnt out do Hans Zimmers score.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Omega Tom Hanks said:
I love the series too. But I dont think its as great to say its better than the new movies. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the greatest batman media outside the comics with out a doubt. The music for the show was good but it doesnt out do Hans Zimmers score.

I liked Begins, but I can't sit through the movie again if I wanted to. On the other hand I can with the animated series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Batman: The Animated Series was indeed awesome for what it was (children's cartoon with an EDGE). Did you know that Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, the guys that headed the series, actually drew up plans and sketches for a more mature animation based on The Dark Knight Returns, but it never got green lighted? Too bad... It's really the pinnacle of Batman, for me, and PRIME material to be converted to a feature-length movie.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
(children's cartoon with an EDGE).

I just happened to tune into cartoon network maybe a year ago at around 6 or so pm, and they were showing an animated Batman movie where the Joker and Batman were fighting in a blood bank, and gore was EVERYWHERE. I remember making a mental note at how surprising it was. I never watched all of TAS, was this movie a part of that?

Scorpio said:
I just happened to tune into cartoon network maybe a year ago at around 6 or so pm, and they were showing an animated Batman movie where the Joker and Batman were fighting in a blood bank, and gore was EVERYWHERE. I remember making a mental note at how surprising it was. I never watched all of TAS, was this movie a part of that?

That's Mask of the Phantasm. Truly epic. I can't watch that movie and not get shivers. These new movies just have too much in them for me, even at three hours it seems rushed. It jumps around between characters constantly, most the time I didn't even really know what the hell was going on. They're just more entertainment based, whereas the animated series and Tim Burton films are more pure in their art, not to mention better dialogue/way of handling the mythology. I'm telling you, if you're familiar with the two-face episode, where Bruce and Harvey are old friends, it packs way more of an emotional punch then then that awkward love triangle in DK. The idea of Batman that I like is one where he isn't interested in women and love, only obsessed with his dark work.

Walter said:
Batman: The Animated Series was indeed awesome for what it was (children's cartoon with an EDGE). Did you know that Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, the guys that headed the series, actually drew up plans and sketches for a more mature animation based on The Dark Knight Returns, but it never got green lighted? Too bad... It's really the pinnacle of Batman, for me, and PRIME material to be converted to a feature-length movie.

They actually did a little segment in one of the episodes. I didn't really like the later seasons, they were more oriented for kids, although still cool. I mainly didn't like the change in the art direction they took, the first three seasons were TAS in it's prime. But anyways, here's a clip of that Frank Miller part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZLPwRCjcQ

Also, here's a good link to the title card songs from TAS.

http://www.toonzone.net/anbat/music/index.html

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Let's just not get caught up in what's the best anything. They aren't competing, and in most cases they're each serving a different purpose and can't really be compared. Begins and Dark Knight captured or explored aspects of Batman previous films missed, but it also had to sacrifice other elements do it, so there's no best one thing outside the comics. The comics themselves are many different stories and interpretations of the character.

By that same token, it's not fair to compare Two-Face in Dark Knight to those TAS episodes because there they were doing a story centered on his character and in Dark Knight he was just part of a grander scenario and theme, not the antagonist or something. Each was effective in what it was trying accomplish.

Scorpio

aufond said:
That's Mask of the Phantasm. Truly epic. I can't watch that movie and not get shivers.

My memory of Phantasm is admittedly a little fuzzy, but I would have remembered that scene from it. After a fair amount of research I found that the blood bank scene is from Batman vs Dracula, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472219/ which I believe has little to do with TAS, considering the artstyle (which I'm not a super fan of). Anyway, the fight I was talking about is at 5:30 of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWmDr1Jc00

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Scorpio said:
My memory of Phantasm is admittedly a little fuzzy, but I would have remembered that scene from it. After a fair amount of research I found that the blood bank scene is from Batman vs Dracula, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472219/ which I believe has little to do with TAS, considering the artstyle (which I'm not a super fan of). Anyway, the fight I was talking about is at 5:30 of this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWmDr1Jc00

Its tied to "The Batman"

I loved everything about this movie except for the batvoice. Did they not watch the movie themselves and realize that batman sounds like he's dieing of throat cancer? I kept wanting to jump into the movie and give him some of those menthol candy drops.

In spite of that, I can still overlook batvoice and give it a near perfect score, everything else about it was really well assembled. I can't believe it got a PG13 rating though, I'd have slapped an R on it for sure.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Yeah, the batvoice is ridiculously forced, I hated it Begins hate even more in Dark Knight, it sounds like Batman has emphyzema.

Scorpio

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care about the batvoice. I'm not saying its the best voice possible, but I never noticed any flaws in it until people started complaining. But hey, if people can nitpick about that, it must be a good movie, right?

Guts intestines

Scorpio said:
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't care about the batvoice. I'm not saying its the best voice possible, but I never noticed any flaws in it until people started complaining. But hey, if people can nitpick about that, it must be a good movie, right?

Its just the forced nature of it, I mean he talks one way as Bruce then another as Batman and it sounds horrible. At first I thought they had him do it because Bruce Wayne is trying to conceal his voice, thus helping him conceal his identity even more. Then I remembered that Bruce Wayne is a billionaire so he could use some voice altering thing, so its just stupid.

Guts intestines

Proj2501 said:
Yes. THAT is genius. :schierke:

Well damn, he's a billionaire and has a cape that can reflect bullets and allow him to glide around, why couldn't he use a voice alterator like they use for people who want to remain anonymous? Its not like its crazy technology, why the hell else would he try to sound like joe camel? Is a theory of him trying to conceal his voice really that retarded?

Oburi

All praise Grail
mike.william said:
In spite of that, I can still overlook batvoice and give it a near perfect score, everything else about it was really well assembled. I can't believe it got a PG13 rating though, I'd have slapped an R on it for sure.

? There is almost no foul language/sexuality (if any) and the violence is very brief (there isn't a whole lotta blood). It seems a little more violent because Ledger's performance is so convincing but pg-13 is totally acceptable. The scene where the guy burns to death and the deaths that joker video taped were a little violent but if you remember very little of that is actually shown on screen. In fact I don't remember even seeing it at all, you just hear them screaming. And the camera never focuses on the guy burning, he's just in the background. Yea pg-13 is very suitable, I actually thought they could have show a little more.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I know I've made as much fun of the Batvoice as anyone, but I did think it was effective in this one,
particulary in the the interrogation of Maroni and the Joker, and during the Joker's speech at the end.

BTW, this is a BIG STORY!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/08/04/mondaymoviebuzz.darkknight.ap/index.html

Nolan used enhancements on Bale's voice!? For shame.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I sincerely had no problem with his voice, and never have really. Even in Begins when he's interrogating Flass (" ...WHERE'RE THE DRUGS GOIN?!") when it was at its most over the top, I liked it, though I admittedly had a smile on my face. :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
"SWEAR TO ME!!!" That scene was awesome. :guts:

The only time the bat voice really got on my nerves was at the end of The Dark Knight when he's talking to Gordon. I think it's because he's trying to sound out of breath at the same time, but whatever the reason it just didn't sound right.

Top Bottom