The End of Vagabond?

Over/Under: 1 episode of Vagabond in 2011?

• Over

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Under

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Sort of. :carcus:

http://comipress.com/article/2006/12/31/1258

Now that I have your attention, here's an interview I read a while back but couldn't find again. Wally and I had been looking for it with no luck, but then I recently stumbled upon it randomly and thought I'd share it here. Lots of interesting stuff on Inoue's own take on Vagabond and it's creation, you should read the whole thing just for that, but as for the part pertinent to this thread...

To the End of the Story

"In the beginning I wanted to create a simple road trip movie," said Inoue, "but due to my own habits, it's not easy for me to make things like that."

According to Inoue, Vagabond will end in one and a half to two years. In Vagabond, Musashi has already finished his fight with Shishido Baiken, and has beaten his rivals, including Yoshioka Seijuro, Gion Toji, and Yoshioka Denshichirou. Sasaki Kojiro is the only one left.

Inoue succeeded in arousing in his readers a strong sympathy towards Kojiro by narrating the childhood days of Kojiro. Readers understand that Kojiro will fight a life-or-death battle with Musashi, so there is only a limited world which Inoue should draw.

As for Inoue, he is only seeking ways on how to draws it and one could say he is suffering from it, because Inoue wants to complete this manga, a challenge to him, as a professional manga artist.

So, is the clock already ticking? Is Inoue now wrapping up Musashi's loose ends with his friends before his final battle with Kojiro? Is 12-31-2008 really THE END!?

Geez, I sure hope not, and I think there's plenty of reason to think Inoue is going to go beyond his estimation there, including his comments on his own nature. In any case, it should become clearer shortly whether or not Vagabond will likely continue beyond this year (we'll predict it like the groundhog with his shadow, "Op, looks like six more weeks of Vagabond, at least"). I'd also take everything written in that interview with a grain of salt since something might have gotten lost in the translation, if anyone is interested in the original article, look here:

http://switch.excite.co.jp/061120/interview/next/01.html

If you happen to see something there that doesn't come across right in the English version, please, do tell.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Re: The End of Vagabond Announced.

Seems kind of sudden but if he can end it well I'm all for it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Awesome, you found the holy grail of Vagabond interviews!

But... Im not sure Im buying the FULL legitimacy of this article anymore. "According to Inoue, Vagabond will end in one and a half to two years."

It's this line in particular that doesn't feel right to me, and its of course, the most important one. This part isn't a DIRECT quote. If they had to use an indirect one, as shown here, with "according to..." it shows you couldn't get him to pin down that fact in a quote, but it was just alluded to.

Well,it's a pity but we know this was bound to happen,Vagabond is not Berserk after all (now,the end of Berserk would really upset me...)

I haven't read the novel yet,so,apart from the final match,is there some mayor event waiting or that's all basically?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

You shoulda just asked, Griff. I'm very familiar with it...

However, I can see how this is much more relevant now. We've gone through one hell of an arc and we're licking our wounds before the next big event. It's been mentioned plenty of times by other members here and myself that the "down-time" arc might not be included, even with all the bandit purging (this is as much as I can remember to answer your question, Baldulf -- sorry). Kojiro has been mentioned to Musashi more than once at this point... so the ending has definitely been alluded to within the pages of the manga. Yet, I feel that the pacing might suffer if we jump right onto the beach, oars in hand waiting for the sun to show itself.

Still, the appeal of a volumes full of contemplation and gardening might bore "fans" to tears.

At the end of the day, Wally has the right of it. The article, while informative, fails on the aforementioned aspects. I'm still keeping fingers crossed for much, much more =)

I feel like a big fool now,while reading again the last Vagabond's volumes I found a very recent interview with Inoue where he talks about the future of the manga (completely forgot about it,maybe my mind wanted to skip that part on purpose)

Well,the interview was made after the end of the Yoshiokas slaughter,when asked if after that is going to move to the final duel answered that he hasn't decided that yet,but that he is going to skip all the "boring" parts with the Shogun (he laughs here)

When asked about the estimated lenght of the manga he said that about thirty-two volumes approximately and that forty would be too much (apparently he talked about forty vols in a previous interview)

So,sadly,the end is nigh.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840

In my experience with other mangas, I wouldn't put too much stock in author estimations of length.

Griffith

Yeah, but lets look at it from a standpoint of Inoue personally, his longest work is 31 volumes (I don't know if surpassing Slam Dunk or not is a goal, but he must be aware of it), and it's not like he was saying all this stuff in the middle of his run with Vagabond, it was all recent, suggesting more than just a plan or estimation he has, but an indication that he may just want to wrap it up soon and move on, which is a more pressing feeling.

Anyway, I hope he gets stuck in another huge arc and gets further inspired to do more, because I think if motivated, he has enough material he's setup for well beyond 40 volumes (he just may not want to do that).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Inoue Confirms End of Vagabond Manga by Year's End

Posted 10 minutes ago... here's the blurb from Anime News Network:

Acclaimed manga creator Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk, REAL) confirmed on his website on Monday that he will end his manga within the year. He had already said in April of last year that he will end the manga "within one or two years."

Inoue has been drawing the manga since 1998, and Kodansha is publishing the 32th compiled volume in Japan this month. Viz Media published the 30th volume in North America in November. Viz also publishes Inoue's Slam Dunk and REAL manga.

The Agency for Cultural Affairs of the Japanese government gave Inoue the MEXT Art Encouragement Shinjin Prize in the Media Arts category last March. Inoue won the separate Media Arts Festival Award in the Manga category for Vagabond in 2000. The same manga earned the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize in 2002.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-04/inoue-confirms-end-of-vagabond-manga-by-year-end

:judo:

Re: Inoue Confirms End of Vagabond Manga by Year's End

Oh... So that's what the latest Inoue News was about... :judo:

I wonder if he'll keep doing the exhibition... I really want to go.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Well I broke the news last time, so I guess it's really happening. Oh well, at least we are being part of a great ride. No regrets!!

Griffith

So this is why I can't get on to Inoue's site tonight, I think I saw it this morning though but didn't bother to Google translate it... Certainly a bummer, but at the same time, I'll believe it when I see it (we've heard this before). Certainly he's made up his mind to head toward the series conclusion though, I just wonder how he's going to go about it and what exactly "in the next year" means as far as the amount of material goes, particularly the buildup to the duel with Kojiro and that encounter itself.

Over/Under: 1 episode of Vagabond in 2011? :guts:

Well, here's Google's translation:

Year of the Tiger

2010 years now. Happy New Year everyone.

Now write this one in Osaka is in the room Potsunento Tempozan Suntory Museum staff. "The last manga exhibition" version of Osaka "," was able to greet the opening of the safe today, thanks. The second half from a 12 month Orimashita been engaged in the preparation of this exhibition. People who staff the holidays to give up your precious holiday, give up Thank you Good luck in New Year's Day, Dearimasu filled with gratitude. Thank you very encouraged from Kumamoto reinforcements from coming to Ueno, Dearimasu only have to thank. You really す FIRST! Later.

The spatial differences begin with, there sat down to draw the picture for Osaka (or how it will take a look at filling in), I have also been established with a different space with Ueno, Kumamoto. Morning of the first day and eventually finished at 5! (With something like that again)
If that is what our visitors have the impression that what your are getting excited and looking forward to it.

And shall see the opening, what needs fine-tuning of the first day that watching the evening and coordination (such places are already emerging, is sick of living cartoon exhibition) to return. From a little rest from the No. 1 series resumes in preparation for release late.

2010 "Real" Me Round 10th anniversary number 10, and 12-year anniversary of "Vagabond" will be Rasutoiya. ,,,, Should be. Do. Around the zodiac in one (long!) It's better for the separator. Ueno lasted from 2008 was "Manga Exhibition" this "version of Osaka", to be held from 5 to early July "Sendai Edition" is in the stanza.

Many years to become darker in color sense is inevitable. And I do not want to go to a special viewing though. Thank you very much again this year.

Good for you as one our best wishes for years.
Takehiko Inoue
01/02/2010

Wow, I don't know if it's because it's not my mother tongue, but I didn't understand one sentence! :beast:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

Well, for those who have read the Novel, you think he's in the right place to finish it the manga in the next year? I haven't read it, so I'm just gonna go with my gut feeling and say he can probably finish it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Th3Branded0ne said:
Well, for those who have read the Novel, you think he's in the right place to finish it the manga in the next year? I haven't read it, so I'm just gonna go with my gut feeling and say he can probably finish it.
Not ... really. But like me and Griff have been talking about for a while, Inoue could feasibly end it whenever he wanted, and just opaquely canvas over the remaining portion in some kind of Mushi soliloquy.

It'll be sad to see the series end, but it's not like we didn't see this coming 3-4 years ago when he first started talking about the end.

I hope he focuses on one manga this time. Finish REAL, and then start doing something else. Not because it's faster to release, but because judging from the Inoue News, he has serious mood swings when he's exhausted like that. I mean, look at what he said a few blog posts later... it's worrying. You can also see that on that NHK Special (seriously, every fan should watch that. Too bad it doesn't have a translation).

I love his works, and I'll start reading REAL as soon as Vagabond ends. Everyone should read Slam Dunk, it's fucking beautiful. I seriously hope he never stops doing stuff.

Griffith

Walter said:
Not ... really. But like me and Griff have been talking about for a while, Inoue could feasibly end it whenever he wanted, and just opaquely canvas over the remaining portion in some kind of Mushi soliloquy.

It'll be sad to see the series end, but it's not like we didn't see this coming 3-4 years ago when he first started talking about the end.

I'm actually excited about it in a sense, but also wary of the outcome you mentioned. I don't know if a year is enough time to end the series properly, and by that I mean in the manner that Inoue has continued it to this point, right up to the end of volume 32. Actually, I'll just flat out say I don't think it is possible to finish it in the fashion Inoue's done the previous arcs. Though, as I've opined, that style seems geared toward growth, not necessarily conclusion, which is why it still seems like there are so many branches left to explore. This announcement, like the others before it, just doesn't seem very organic, but more like he's forcing his own hand.

Eluvei said:
I hope he focuses on one manga this time. Finish REAL, and then start doing something else. Not because it's faster to release, but because judging from the Inoue News, he has serious mood swings when he's exhausted like that. I mean, look at what he said a few blog posts later... it's worrying. You can also see that on that NHK Special (seriously, every fan should watch that. Too bad it doesn't have a translation).

I love his works, and I'll start reading REAL as soon as Vagabond ends. Everyone should read Slam Dunk, it's fucking beautiful. I seriously hope he never stops doing stuff.

Agreed, but if he intends to stick to this deadline, which I'm still dubious about one way or another, I hope he puts REAL on hold so he can focus on finishing off Vagabond.

UPDATE: Added poll.

グリフィス said:
UPDATE: Added poll.

From the evidence we have so far, I'll stick to Over. Maybe if he makes a sudden flashforward or keep mentioning the end, I'll change my mind. Until then, I'll agree with you, I won't forget how he works:

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/12/05/takehiko-inoue-interview-part-2/ said:
PWCW: What is next for you? You are so busy with many projects. What do you enjoy the most?

Inoue: I try not to think about what’s coming next.
:badbone:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Oh man, the series might be over by the time I catch up to you guys. :schierke:

Well this is quite sad news, although I wouldn't be to sad if it ended, we all saw it coming sooner or later. :slan:

Grail

Feel the funk blast

It is a bittersweet thing to hear, but as long as Inoue's satisfied with how he finishes the series, I doubt that we'll have much to complain about, either. :guts:

Eluvei said:

Same here. I'm definitely picking up Slam Dunk and REAL once Vagabond is over; as far as I'm concerned, anything with Inoue's name on it will be well worth a read. :serpico:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
From the evidence we have so far, I'll stick to Over. Maybe if he makes a sudden flashforward or keep mentioning the end, I'll change my mind. Until then, I'll agree with you, I won't forget how he works:
:badbone:

Yeah, that's a good quote, and I don't know if I've mentioned this enough, but he did even the Last Manga exhibition in less than a month. He started April 29th 2008 and finished the morning of May 24th, a couple of hours before opening. It says in the catalogue that most weren't optimistic about it being completed in that timeframe, but when Inoue was done inspecting everything for the last time and putting on the finishing touches he said he finished earlier than he thought, then crawled into a tent they had setup there and and went to sleep. Then entire staff and crew assisting him followed suit, and it was described as looking like the end of the 70 man battle.

I know one thing, whether he finishes in a year or takes longer, he's going to be dedicated to getting it done, and right.

slan69 said:
Well this is quite sad news, although I wouldn't be to sad if it ended, we all saw it coming sooner or later. :slan:

Yeah, I'm not sad, more excited than anything, if this is how it has to be, that's fine, I just don't want Inoue to rush or end it prematurely for the wrong reasons. Mostly, I'm looking forward to what he's going to come up with, as I've said before, i'm interested in the personal nature of creating this story for Inoue, his experience, and that's another subplot for me, how he wrestles with it and his future as much as Musashi does.

Rhombaad said:

Oooh, does that mean you might be reading past volume 14 sooner than expected? :badbone:

Grail said:
It is a bittersweet thing to hear, but as long as Inoue's satisfied with how he finishes the series, I doubt that we'll have much to complain about, either. :guts:

Same here. I'm definitely picking up Slam Dunk and REAL once Vagabond is over; as far as I'm concerned, anything with Inoue's name on it will be well worth a read. :serpico:

Yeah, same here on both counts, the worst would be if Inoue feels later that he left something on the table... of course, he could always come back. :zodd:

After this I really won't have any reason to hold back on Slam Dunk or Real, it'll almost be like they're taking Vagabond's place.

グリフィス said:
I know one thing, whether he finishes in a year or takes longer, he's going to be dedicated to getting it done, and right.

We can certainly expect this to be a hell of a year for Vagabond, that's all we can be sure of after that announcement. :badbone:

Grail said:
Same here. I'm definitely picking up Slam Dunk and REAL once Vagabond is over; as far as I'm concerned, anything with Inoue's name on it will be well worth a read.
グリフィス said:
After this I really won't have any reason to hold back on Slam Dunk or Real, it'll almost be like they're taking Vagabond's place.

Nice! I started loving basketball because of Slam Dunk! Can't wait to read REAL as well...

Top Bottom