The Horror Movie Thread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Myers was The Thing all along! :isidro: :ganishka:

I jokingly thought this too when trying to figure out what Green could possibly be talking about. Would explain a lot! They're definitely leaning back into the occult, which would fit the bill of a lot of other Carpenter, but which they also rebooted this thing after the original to specifically get away from because the non-Carpenter Halloweens botched it so horribly (they're staying vague enough for plausible deniability this time)! Again, it looks insular as hell for something that's supposed to, thematically at least, cover the scope of Carpenter's career (his first movie took place in space!), like Mike's off the grid but he and Laurie will meet up in some house to fight to the death, both "die." THE END...? I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with more than kerts the eye in these trailers, but I'm not holding my breath. Also, Michael has just been living in a cave, in costume no less, for the last 4 years? Did he take the previous three halloweens off? Will they reference COVID (he's an older guy; the mask probably saved him =)? It's basically a mess no matter what they do now.:shrug:

There is one thing that will make this worth it no matter what though, the real exciting Halloween release October 14th:

Another soundtrack of this beautiful, nostalgic weirdness.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I jokingly thought this too when trying to figure out what Green could possibly be talking about. Would explain a lot! They're definitely leaning back into the occult, which would fit the bill of a lot of other Carpenter, but which they also rebooted this thing after the original to specifically get away from because the non-Carpenter Halloweens botched it so horribly (they're staying vague enough for plausible deniability this time)! Again, it looks insular as hell for something that's supposed to, thematically at least, cover the scope of Carpenter's career (his first movie took place in space!), like Mike's off the grid but he and Laurie will meet up in some house to fight to the death, both "die." THE END...? I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with more than kerts the eye in these trailers, but I'm not holding my breath.

The thought that actually first came to me (and legit enthused me) was a crossover with Prince of Darkness. Michael Myers as the literal Antichrist. =)
It's probably just going to be some stupid shit, though. But I still win, since I've only ever watched the original Halloween and won't be watching this either. :ganishka:

There is one thing that will make this worth it no matter what though, the real exciting Halloween October 14th:

Another soundtrack of this beautiful, nostalgic weirdness.

Nice! I'm glad Carpenter has been able to focus on his music, which he always seemed to love more than making movies anyway.

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
I recently watched Hellraiser 3 and 4 and they’re not too bad. The Descent easily takes the cake as my favorite horror movie. Some honorable mentions go to The Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Cabin in the Woods, and Oculus.

Griffith

The thought that actually first came to me (and legit enthused me) was a crossover with Prince of Darkness. Michael Myers as the literal Antichrist. =)

Same, but then the franchise actually kind of already went down that road, including a cult of Michael and him having some cursed child with... his niece. :magni:

It's probably just going to be some stupid shit, though.

I'm not even expecting it to be anything substantial enough to be stupid. Just some more vague, "no human could do this" BS they never get deep into.

But I still win, since I've only ever watched the original Halloween and won't be watching this either. :ganishka:

Hey man, at least watch Halloween II, it's basically the second half of the night and really unleashes Myers.

Nice! I'm glad Carpenter has been able to focus on his music, which he always seemed to love more than making movies anyway.

That's a left-handed compliment. =)

I heard he's got the itch again, though! It would be nice if they let him make his Western, but I'm guessing it's gotta be a horror movie of some kind to get made. At least he's receiving a lot of retroactive appreciation for his work, in film and music, during his lifetime.

I recently watched Hellraiser 3 and 4 and they’re not too bad. The Descent easily takes the cake as my favorite horror movie. Some honorable mentions go to The Thing, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Cabin in the Woods, and Oculus.

Well, if we're going with favorites for me it's gotta be: Creature from the Black Lagoon, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Halloween I & II, Alien, Evil Dead 1 & 2, The Fog, Duel, Little Shop of Horrors, The Thing, Christine, They Live, and In the Mouth of Madness. Or to put it another way: Carpenter, Romero, and Raimi, please. It hasn't been like a 30 year dry spell or anything either, I'm just hesitant to categorize recent movies I've liked among those, even a 90s classic like Scream, let alone The VVitch or Get Out. I also like Jason, Freddy, etc, just not as much as those or in one particular movie.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Same, but then the franchise actually kind of already went down that road, including a cult of Michael and him having some cursed child with... his niece. :magni:

Oh wow. Cursed child indeed.

Hey man, at least watch Halloween II, it's basically the second half of the night and really unleashes Myers.

Yeah I know, I've been delaying it... Maybe this Halloween!

That's a left-handed compliment. =)

I heard he's got the itch again, though! It would be nice if they let him make his Western, but I'm guessing it's gotta be a horror movie of some kind to get made. At least he's receiving a lot of retroactive appreciation for his work, in film and music, during his lifetime.

Yeah it is, can't deny it. I'm genuinely happy for him if he's happy with that, though. But it's too bad his directing career ended on a sad note. He deserves better. And yeah, honestly some rich asshole just ought to give him a budget and let him do his dream film.

Griffith

Oh wow. Cursed child indeed.

It's like the Cult of Thorn or something, and Michael has a thorn tattoo, and there's even a mysterious G-Man like character in a suit that goes around like Michael's fix it man cleaning up after him, letting him out of jail n' shit (yeah, at one point he's just locked in the slammer and this guy let's him out =). My point is, if you think these new Halloween movies look dumb, to paraphrase Dr. Loomis, "You don't know what dumb is."

Actually, the premise of Michael as some indestructible weapon asset is actually a pretty interesting premise on its own, if it wasn't so ridiculously far removed from the original point of these movies! "If only we had one of these in Fallujah..." :ganishka:

Yeah I know, I've been delaying it... Maybe this Halloween!

Well, it's pretty legit, written, scored and second-unit directed by Carpenter and produced by Debra Hill, same crew etc (Carpenter basically took over in post-production and reshot a bunch of it, specifically adding more gore to keep up with the competition).

Yeah it is, can't deny it. I'm genuinely happy for him if he's happy with that, though. But it's too bad his directing career ended on a sad note. He deserves better. And yeah, honestly some rich asshole just ought to give him a budget and let him do his dream film.

Well, I figure Blum would give him a reasonable amount of money to make a film. And as for his music versus his film career, I think it's just much harder and more collaborative to make films of course, but he also always seemed at odds with the business of filmmaking where his successes kind of pigeon-holed him and his failures held him back from bigger things, no pun intended. Even Halloween, his greatest success, resulted in him being conscripted into making the sequel rather than getting to do what he wanted next (it was actually used against him). That was kind of his whole career. Whereas his music was only ever an asset that mitigated some of that cost until it started outright making him some money. Plus, he just gets to hang out with his son and godson all day playing video games and music. Sounds a lot better than dealing with the whims of some rich asshole.

One I always "loved" (as in shat my pants each night I watched it) and treasured as a child on an old VHS I had that even got corrupted was Sleepaway Camp. It was just so scary to me, back then, I always showed this movie when a new friend came over for a pijamada and the overall reaction was always shocking, but still a ton of fun getting insomnia out of it talking about the movie afterwards.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's like the Cult of Thorn or something, and Michael has a thorn tattoo, and there's even a mysterious G-Man like character in a suit that goes around like Michael's fix it man cleaning up after him, letting him out of jail n' shit (yeah, at one point he's just locked in the slammer and this guy let's him out =). My point is, if you think these new Halloween movies look dumb, to paraphrase Dr. Loomis, "You don't know what dumb is."

Yikes. We need a face palm emoticon.

Well, I figure Blum would give him a reasonable amount of money to make a film. And as for his music versus his film career, I think it's just much harder and more collaborative to make films of course, but he also always seemed at odds with the business of filmmaking where his successes kind of pigeon-holed him and his failures held him back from bigger things, no pun intended. Even Halloween, his greatest success, resulted in him being conscripted into making the sequel rather than getting to do what he wanted next (it was actually used against him). That was kind of his whole career. Whereas his music was only ever an asset that mitigated some of that cost until it started outright making him some money. Plus, he just gets to hang out with his son and godson all day playing video games and music. Sounds a lot better than dealing with the whims of some rich asshole.

Yeah it seems the film industry just kept fucking him over, unfortunately. He should have moved to France, and I say that without any irony. He would have probably found more sympathetic producers here. Just look at Roman Polanski! :troll:

So I'm quite an avid horror fan and just saw this great topic right now.
Some of my favorites horror movies (with no particular order) are :
  • The Shining
  • The Witch
  • The Exorcist and The Exorcist Legion
  • The Wailing
  • Alien
  • Hereditary
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Blair Witch Project
  • Kairo/Pulse (2001)
  • Twin Peaks Fire and Walk With Me
  • Mulholland Drive (I was scared despite not being labeled as "horror")
  • Eraserhead
  • Tale of Two Sisters
  • Lake Mungo
  • It Follows
  • REC
  • Jacob's Ladder

What do you guys think about The Omen?
Finally watched it recently because it's considered a classic, so I had to watch it.
But I found it kinda goofy, it dropped the ball after the first half.

Before this I watched The Descent, and...it's a decent movie.:sweatdrop:
Nothing extraordinary but the atmosphere is quite good and the ending is enjoying.
Unfortunately the scares get a little repetitive after a while, I don't know why they've given so much exposition, killed all the tension imo.

Anyway, I think the next movie I'll watch is Inland Empire, which is famous for being confusing and unsettling.
It's 3 hours long but I think I can push through it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I just started rewatching the Hellraiser series. I absolutely love Hellraiser but I am a little lukewarm on the rest of the series. I think Hellraiser 2 does a good job concluding the story from the first movie (in a way that Halloween 2 just doesn't). I started rewatching 3 and will watch 4 next.

Has one of the best none Michael deaths in the series.

One I always "loved" (as in shat my pants each night I watched it) and treasured as a child on an old VHS I had that even got corrupted was Sleepaway Camp. It was just so scary to me, back then, I always showed this movie when a new friend came over for a pijamada and the overall reaction was always shocking, but still a ton of fun getting insomnia out of it talking about the movie afterwards.
Sleepaway Camp is a solid movie.

• The Shining
  • The Witch
  • The Wailing
  • Alien
  • Hereditary
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Blair Witch Project
  • Kairo/Pulse (2001)
  • Eraserhead
  • Tale of Two Sisters
  • Lake Mungo
  • It Follows
  • REC
  • Jacob's Ladder

Finally watched it recently because it's considered a classic, so I had to watch it.

Nothing extraordinary but the atmosphere is quite good and the ending is enjoying.
Unfortunately the scares get a little repetitive after a while, I don't know why they've given so much exposition, killed all the tension imo.

Anyway, I think the next movie I'll watch is Inland Empire, which is famous for being confusing and unsettling.
Great list of horror films! Since I agree with just about everything on that list and the only one I haven't seen is Lake Mungo, you've likely given me a great movie to start off the Halloween season with this weekend! :guts:

If you're into weird/confusing and unsettling movies, one I watched a couple years ago that I really enjoyed was "Mother!" (yah, the exclamation mark is part of the title. From what I read afterwards, there are a lot of people that REALLY don't like the film, and I'm curious if there are others here who have opinions. The premise is very simple, a husband and wife played by Javier Bardem and Jennifer Lawrence move to the secluded country side to start a new life and family together. The husband is a writer, and fans of his start to randomly show up at the house. It's a slow build of off putting and rude fans being accommodated for and welcomed into the house by the husband while the wife does her best to put up with it. Let's just say, things escalate.:beast:

Last edited:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
  • The Shining
  • The Witch
  • The Wailing
  • Alien
  • Hereditary
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Blair Witch Project
  • Kairo/Pulse (2001)
  • Eraserhead
  • Tale of Two Sisters
  • Lake Mungo
  • It Follows
  • REC
  • Jacob's Ladder

What a list! I never really considered The Witch or Rosemary’s Baby to be horror movies, but they’re both extremely good. The only one on there I haven’t seen is Hereditary. I will get on that at some point.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
What a list! I never really considered The Witch or Rosemary’s Baby to be horror movies, but they’re both extremely good. The only one on there I haven’t seen is Hereditary. I will get on that at some point.
Really? The Witch definitely is. I can see why you would feel that way about Rosemary's Baby, but I feel that's more in tone with the style of the time. But Hereditary and Rosemary’s Baby are part of the same cult horror.

Great list of horror films! Since I agree with just about everything on that list and the only one I haven't seen is Lake Mungo, you've likely given me a great movie to start off the Halloween season with this weekend! :guts:

If you're into weird/confusing and unsettling movies, one I watched a couple years ago that I really enjoyed was "Mother!" (yah, the exclamation mark is part of the title. From what I read afterwards, there are a lot of people that REALLY don't like the film, and I'm curious if there are others here who have opinions. The premise is very simple, a husband and wife played by Javier Bardem and Jennifer Lawrence move to the secluded country side to start a new life and family together. The husband is a writer, and fans of his start to randomly show up at the house. It's a slow build of off putting and rude fans being accommodated for and welcomed into the house by the husband while the wife does her best to put up with it. Let's just say, things escalate.:beast:
Thanks!

Yes, I've seen it, "Mother!" is a damn good movie.

The first time I didn't get the plot though.
It was great trip, all of those visuals and sound, along with the actors playing their part, pretty well executed.
But I didn't understand what the movie was all about.
Like you said, things escalate - and pretty quickly. So it didn't give me time to interpret anything.

Then I've read some posts online giving an insight about the movie, and went to watch it again.
Finally I understood what was the meaning of (almost) everything, and the experience improved a lot after that.

This is indeed one of those movies that only "click" if you watch more than one time.
Kinda like the works of David Lynch in that regard, where most of them require to pay a lot of attention to details.

They are different than the other ones in the sense that they're not that terrifying (at least for me).
But I think the "horror" vibe is there.

BTW, do watch Hereditary.
Comparing to the other two, I'd say it's completely horror.

I watched Texas chainsaw massacre last night the original for the first time and noticed that this is what some of resident evil 7 was based on specifically the crazy family they even have the family dinner scene that reminded me of the first part of the game, Also probably inspired the chainsaw villager in re4. There is a LOT of screaming from the female lead and I wanted a bit more storyline but it was okay. I plan on watching the new Hulu hellraiser next

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I watched Texas chainsaw massacre last night the original for the first time and noticed that this is what some of resident evil 7 was based on specifically the crazy family they even have the family dinner scene that reminded me of the first part of the game, Also probably inspired the chainsaw villager in re4.

Indeed. Still a great movie.

@IncantatioN and @Griffith - What horror movies are you most excited to watch this October, the most haunting time of year?

New movies on my radar...

Smile (2022, directed by Parker Finn). The trailer is a little horror cliché but I'm still excited for this one. Also, I kind of like the interesting yet assholish promotional stunt for this movie at baseball games: https://www.cbr.com/smile-movie-creepy-viral-promo-major-league-baseball/

Halloween Ends (2022, directed by David Gordon Green). I am going to watch this but I think the lack of publicity (as far as I've seen) says something about Universal's opinion of the film. I could also be wrong.

Older movies

The Prowler (1981, directed by Joseph Zito). I watched this earlier this year and loved it. Now I am looking to make my wife watch this.

Cat People (1942, directed by Jacques Tourneur). This was mentioned in a book called Nightmare Fuel and in Shudder's 101 movies to watch. I know very little, but I am a cat person so I'll watch it.
I was curios about Smile - did you watch it?

I wasn't able to do my 30/ 31 movie marathon this year, but I did check out what's available on the usual streaming platforms.

Barbarian (HBO Max) - this was fun honestly and I think I was probably more nervous than I should've been going in. I liked the build up till we get to the final act - those moments kept me on edge. The final act was satisfying. This one's getting a lot of chatter online which's good, in general, for Horror movies and Horror movie fans.

Midnight Club (Netflix) - this's another one from Flanagan and a solid entry, although don't be fooled by the name - it has nothing to do with his other show called Midnight Mass. This one follows a group of terminally ill teens, gathered in a mansion (vs a hospital undergoing treatment) to live their lives as they'd wish to. Each of the kids tell stories and there are some fun scary ones told, most predictable, but I like how it's driving the plot forward in telling you a little more about those characters.

Hellraiser (Hulu) - it's not the original, and I doubt there will be a movie that'll be better than the original, but this is a good (re)entry to the franchise. It explores the lore a bit more and I felt like it could've been
a lot more gruesome
than it was, but hey, you can't please everyone. Worthy enough not to miss. SK's very own cenobites are gonna RIP ME APART FOR SAYING THAT. I can chat more, but I don't want to paint a sour picture of it.

Nope - it's not all that, however is it Horror? It is just a Sci-Fi Thriller/ Drama? Whatever it is, if you go in with the lowest of low expectations, you're going to come out thinking the movie wasn't all that bad after all. Yes, there's a hype around the Director, and from a pure Horror perspective, this was the weakest in the 3 movies he's released.

Final Destination 1, 2, 3 - movie marathon at a friend's place (not my pick) and 1 was a lot better than those other 2 combined.

Incantation (Netflix?) - you see what I did there ^_^ but I re-watched this found footage style South Asian horror flick because I had to look away the first time and now I knew exactly when things are going to happen, so it made my viewing less stressful. I get scared too. A lot.

Black Phone - everything I expected, the less you know the better - worth checking out.

Hellbender - same as above!

M3GAN - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYY_hBnVjcI

Stoked to watch this because I saw a behind the scenes of how they use an actual doll and a real actor for the doll's movements = elevated creepiness that appears on screen/ evident in the trailer.

Evil Dead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwfK0OvBdfs

Don't watch the trailer ahead of the first minute. I got spoiled on a lot by finishing it. Definitely curious about this one.

Infinity Pool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnIMvVEkrA

I dig Brandon Cronenberg and appreciate the attempt at the body horror concepts in his last 2 films. He's not his dad, but those two movies were really good attempts. His movies are never in-your-face or made for commercial cinema.

Renfield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LmO6rmDW08&feature=emb_title

Stoked to see Cage's interpretation of the character - this looks fun.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Unfortunately no. My wife wasn't feeling well so we didn't go to see it in theaters on Halloween like we planned. Instead, we watched a movie you recommended last year, Malignant. We absolutely loved it.
I forgot to mention, I watched Smile. I enjoyed it as did my wife. Though I felt one part was a bit gratuitous.
M3GAN - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYY_hBnVjcI

Stoked to watch this because I saw a behind the scenes of how they use an actual doll and a real actor for the doll's movements = elevated creepiness that appears on screen/ evident in the trailer.
Ditto. I am excited.
Evil Dead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwfK0OvBdfs

Don't watch the trailer ahead of the first minute. I got spoiled on a lot by finishing it. Definitely curious about this one.
It is a very spoiler heavy trailer. I couldn't help it, I watched the full trailer. Excited about this one.
Infinity Pool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnIMvVEkrA

I dig Brandon Cronenberg and appreciate the attempt at the body horror concepts in his last 2 films. He's not his dad, but those two movies were really good attempts. His movies are never in-your-face or made for commercial cinema.
I'll check out the trailer and get back to this.

Edit: I have no idea what was going on but it looks weird, which is my thing.
Renfield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LmO6rmDW08&feature=emb_title

Stoked to see Cage's interpretation of the character - this looks fun.
This movie looks fun as hell.

Last edited:
I like horror movies very much!

such as:
Annabelle
Don't pick things up and don't throw things away. hahaha
The Conjuring
It was moving, more moving than scary.
Orphan
This story reminds me not to fall in love when you're in business.
The Bad Seed
The leading lady of this movie is so lovely, I like her.
Constantine
Keanu Reeves is so handsome!(By the way, I think Griffith would play the gods around like Constantine.)

I love all of Hannibal's movies.:griffnotevil:

I finally watched the Hellraiser reboot. And it was fine, nothing special really but One thing I'll mention is they kinda ruin the mystique of the Cenobites, they are just casually walking around the place and some of them are just rabid horror movie creatures that chase the heroes around, if I recall in the original they only appear in a few scenes and it's very impactful, I'm glad they didn't ruin pinhead though, he still seems very composed, I understand why they made them more prominent in the story because that's really what we want to see, but I wasn't really scared of them by the end. I do like how they conveyed them earlier on, it's like reality is shifting around them and only the one who summoned them can see it clearly.

I will say there is moments that really remind me of the god hand there is a specific scene where pinhead literally says something exactly like void, along the lines of " you will live your life with regret knowing you didn't make the correct choice" it don't remember the exact line but it's very similar to something void says, also the Cenobites offer wishes through the leviathan configuration puzzle box but at each eight stages you must sacrifice another human and have them cut themselves on the box, and if you reach the end you'll be granted audience with god and have a wish, but it's not as it seems and the wish is twisted like how it is in Berserk and even the audience with god isn't what you think. I don't want to completely spoil it but I liked the ending.

There are these very generic main characters that are just your average horror movie group of young adults, didn't really care for any of them. But what is funny is how nonchalant they are at some points, like after their friend completely disappears into a pool of blood they are just making quips and casually arguing about dumb stuff like they are chilling at their house, dude your friend just died, and yeah they never mention her again or give a shit about it lol, ( I think it's because she's a very very minor friend that barely spoke). But yeah I only enjoyed the Cenobites parts

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Recently I watched Skinamarink. It's like the craziest parts of Eraserhead with little to no narrative
. I enjoyed it but it's not for everyone.

Sure - Vampire Hunter and I commented in the posts above. Cautiously optimistic because the trailer looked scary.
Please. My father is Vampire Hunter. Just call me Bob.

The trailer is effective. I am planning on watching it at 5 AM, like every movie I watch now.

I finally watched the Hellraiser reboot. And it was fine, nothing special really but One thing I'll mention is they kinda ruin the mystique of the Cenobites, they are just casually walking around the place and some of them are just rabid horror movie creatures that chase the heroes around, if I recall in the original they only appear in a few scenes and it's very impactful, I'm glad they didn't ruin pinhead though, he still seems very composed, I understand why they made them more prominent in the story because that's really what we want to see, but I wasn't really scared of them by the end. I do like how they conveyed them earlier on, it's like reality is shifting around them and only the one who summoned them can see it clearly.

Yes, the Cenobites are okay. My wife is a Chatterer fan, and, honestly, I wish they kept the number of Cenobites to a minimum and kept Chatterer around for longer.

I still don't know how I feel about the changes to summoning the Cenobites. But I didn't hate it.

Top Bottom