The Moonlight Boy

Was wondering about this boy myself. It could just be the form of Guts and Casca's child of how it would have been if it hadn't been tainted by Femto. With the rebirth of Griff, it seems dimensions and realities are overlapping and mixing more. Technically, Guts and Casca's child "died" when Femto tainted the foetus. With Griffit's rebirth, the mixing of the dimensions etc, the form of the cild that never was, appeared. maybe it got split and reborn in the egg apostle too, maybe it was able to form at the full moon on the beach since at full moon is when the power of magic is strongest, etc. This could be an explaination. I don't think it is Griffith tho. The boy was in the harbor amonst the captured children who were about to be sent off as slaves and I think he went with Sonia to Griffiths camp along with the other children.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Shadax said:
The boy was in the harbor amonst the captured children who were about to be sent off as slaves and I think he went with Sonia to Griffiths camp along with the other children.
What?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I even did due diligence and rechecked the whole scene looking for him just now, and no, the child was indeed not there.

Anyway, refreshing my thoughts on this subject, I still think he's some incarnation of Guts' and Casca's child manifested and projected via Griffith's power. Aside from that, the real question is whether it's a passive occurrence or not on either the child's or Griffith's part.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shadax said:
Technically, Guts and Casca's child "died" when Femto tainted the foetus.

No, I think it's clear that isn't the case. Technically, it was corrupted by Femto, as explained in the manga.

Shadax said:
The boy was in the harbor amonst the captured children who were about to be sent off as slaves and I think he went with Sonia to Griffiths camp along with the other children.

I imagine you mistook a random Kushan kid for the boy?

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, refreshing my thoughts on this subject, I still think he's some incarnation of Guts' and Casca's child manifested and projected via Griffith's power. Aside from that, the real question is whether it's a passive occurrence or not on either the child's or Griffith's part.

Well that remains the most logical explanation to me as well even after all that time. Where else could the boy's "superior" powers come from? And we know a part of him still exists within Griffith too, strong enough to make him act without thinking.

As for whether it occurs passively or not... I believe that it is an occurrence related to the full moon. Simply said, when the moon is full and magic strengthens, the boy can muster enough power to manifest himself into the world. The question this raises though is how it is done. Does he appear out of thin air? Does he use Griffith's body? The second possibility seems a little unlikely as it would have to include a way to neutralize the "evil" power Griffith inherently possesses and that Schierke or Guts and Casca's Brands would have picked up (although if he could actually transform his body, I guess anything else would be possible).

A plausible way events happened that night: the moon is full, Griffith is asleep or in a transe. Zodd stands guard not too far away. The child appears one way or another, and starts travelling towards his parents that he can feel are nearby. Zodd picks up on this, and decides to follow the boy. Having seen who he's meeting, he turns off and goes back to the camp, keeping the information to himself.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
I imagine you mistook a random Kushan kid for the boy?

Lol oh thats funny. I think the real question is what role will this character will play in the future. What is Miura saving him for. I actually forgot about the whole thing until it was brought up which I guess is something Miura might have intended since we haven't seen much of him since ( if at all right?).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I actually forgot about the whole thing until it was brought up which I guess is something Miura might have intended since we haven't seen much of him since ( if at all right?).
It hasn't been that long ago, really. Just over 5 volumes ago (four years, scoff scoff). But I seem to remember Guts thinking of him recently. I don't have the volumes handy though.

Anyway, I don't think the child's immediate role in the plot needs to be spelled out this early on. He will clearly be a major X factor in the remainder of the series, seeing as how his very existence compromises Griffith's control on his newfound powers. That's enough of a hint at what's to come for me.

Looked like the boy, just different complexion. Even the shirt was the same and the way Schierke says "That's!" And it immediatly focusses on him and he is prominently shown in pretty much every scene. Forgive me for thinking something about it. Had been a while since I read it.

Aazealh said:
No, I think it's clear that isn't the case. Technically, it was corrupted by Femto, as explained in the manga.

Which technically can be seen as: the child that would normally have been, would never exist because of the corruption by Femto => Technically, the child that Casca and Guts would have had stopped existing. Yay semantics.

I personally really don't think it is Griffith anyway..that would be way to cheesy.. I'm really curious what his role is tho.

Shadax said:
Looked like the boy, just different complexion. Even the shirt was the same and the way Schierke says "That's!" And it immediatly focusses on him and he is prominently shown in pretty much every scene. Forgive me for thinking something about it. Had been a while since I read it.

Which technically can be seen as: the child that would normally have been, would never exist because of the corruption by Femto => Technically, the child that Casca and Guts would have had stopped existing. Yay semantics.

I personally really don't think it is Griffith anyway..that would be way to cheesy.. I'm really curious what his role is tho.

To finish off this exciting episode of Quantum Leap and leave the readers with anticipation for the Moderators reply: "Oh Boy.."

Jaze1618 said:
To finish off this exciting episode of Quantum Leap and leave the readers with anticipation for the Moderatros reply: "Oh Boy.."

Yes, cause "Oh boy.." my post is so offensive and strange.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shadax said:

It's Ok, though honestly I have trouble seeing what kid you're talking about (I don't see a specific focus on any of them). I imagine it's one of the girls with a dress. Not only is their complexion different but their face is as well (quite clearly so IMO), their hair is shorter and they are visibly taller and older. And the dress itself is different from the oversized shirt the moonlight boy was last seen wearing, though there's a resemblance.

Shadax said:

Sorry but your use of the word "technically" here sort of negates the rest of what you say. So no, I wouldn't say that it can "technically" be seen as that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shadax said:
Which was my point on why I thought that

A resemblance between the shirt and the dress, not between the characters (and it's nothing that can't be differentiated if one looks closely). It doesn't eclipse all the other discrepancies. Anyway it doesn't really matter. You were mistaken, no big deal.

Shadax said:
My, aren't we snooty :s

Exactness matters.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Hi everybody, I'm new!
I've been lurking about, reading many threads, (my favorite would have to be this years April fools joke that Aazealh pulled, although I too was tricked :sad:)

This topic in particular intrigued me. I too have pondered about the moonlight boys "motives".
I do hope we get to see him by the next full moon. :guts:
Berserk_moon.jpg

The best theory I've read online is that the Moonlight Boy personifies Griffith's inherent feelings for Guts & Casca. Perhaps he separated this part of his ego to avoid any moments of weakness in the future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
The best theory I've read online is that the Moonlight Boy personifies Griffith's inherent feelings for Guts & Casca. Perhaps he separated this part of his ego to avoid any moments of weakness in the future.

That's a misconception of the reason Griffith felt anything for Guts & Casca on the Hill of Swords. It's because when he took over their son's body a part (or the totality, who knows) of the kid somehow remained. Those feelings are definitely not inherent to Griffith/Femto but are rather parasitic, and if they were separated from him then they're not a personification of his feelings, but a manifestation of the boy.

Oh, I know that. I'm saying those feelings are inherent because Griffith was reborn through Guts & Casca's child, which is why he needs some way to satiate that part of his being to prevent it becoming a problem in the future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
I'm saying those feelings are inherent because Griffith was reborn through Guts & Casca's child, which is why he needs some way to satiate that part of his being to prevent it becoming a problem in the future.

Griffith wasn't reborn, it's Femto who was incarnated. And the boy and him are originally (and may still be) two different beings, which is why it isn't inherent. Semantics, I know, but it matters with that kind of topic.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Are you saying that the Griffith that exists in the world now can't be called Griffith? I thought Griffith was "reborn" through Guts/Casca's child and incarnated as Femto at the eclipse.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Are you saying that the Griffith that exists in the world now can't be called Griffith?

No, that's not what I said. I call him Griffith myself in case you haven't noticed. But he's not the same Griffith than the one from the Golden Age arc.

Aphasia said:
I thought Griffith was "reborn" through Guts/Casca's child and incarnated as Femto at the eclipse.

Femto was born during the Occultation ceremony (born from the man who was known as Griffith). Femto was then incarnated during the events that occurred at Albion. Femto, like the other members of the God Hand, is a purely spiritual being, without a corporeal form. To be incarnated means that he received a body of flesh (you know, like Jesus Christ).

The body Femto was incarnated in looks exactly like the man called Griffith did. However, this doesn't mean that the person known as Griffith up to the Eclipse is suddenly back like nothing happened. Griffith became Femto in volume 13. He was irremediably changed. The one we now refer to as Griffith is merely Femto wearing a Griffith flesh-suit. It's important that people understand this.

Aphasia

Ah I see, thank you very much for the clarification. : ) Was a little confused about the specifics.

Aazealh said:
No, that's not what I said. I call him Griffith myself in case you haven't noticed. But he's not the same Griffith than the one from the Golden Age arc.

Femto was born during the Occultation ceremony (born from the man who was known as Griffith). Femto was then incarnated during the events that occurred at Albion. Femto, like the other members of the God Hand, is a purely spiritual being, without a corporeal form. To be incarnated means that he received a body of flesh (you know, like Jesus Christ).

The body Femto was incarnated in looks exactly like the man called Griffith did. However, this doesn't mean that the person known as Griffith up to the Eclipse is suddenly back like nothing happened. Griffith became Femto in volume 13. He was irremediably changed. The one we now refer to as Griffith is merely Femto wearing a Griffith flesh-suit. It's important that people understand this.

Yes, thank you for writing a clear run down of that! :serpico:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:

So then the Griffith from the Golden Age is truly dead....

Aphasia

One stark difference between the two is laughter..Griffith (or should I say Femto) only smiles now, and rarely. I remember when he used to laugh, and when I thought he was a decent guy. I guess that might have something to do with his soul being flooded with evil and all. :femto:

Top Bottom