The SOPA Hearings

H

hellrasinbrasin

Its been shelved, because Congress is waiting for The Presidential Elections; to end before putting the bills to vote again.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
American law means nothing to me. Also, while no one's talked about it yet in this thread, SOPA and PIPA have been shelved indefinitely.
You re correct when you say that they are shelved but only as they are now, I am pretty sure they will try to sneak them in piece by piece at a later time just like a lot of other people are thinking they will do. :griffnotevil:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
902850850.jpg

H

hellrasinbrasin

We never said, the Justice System was perfect; we just said it was run by someone else.

H

hellrasinbrasin

And in, the post megaupload world; shut downs continue on.

Several high-profile file-hosting websites have moved to block file sharing or other features, in the days following the American government's shutdown of the site MegaUpload.

FileSonic's front page now states, "All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally." Another service, Fileserve, has enacted identical measures. Yet another file locker site, Uploaded.to, has blocked American access entirely. Several other sites, including Filejungle, 4shared, and Uploadstation, have been reported to be deleting premium accounts and affiliate programs.

Meanwhile Derek Labian, CEO of the Texas-based cloud-based storage service MediaFire, told venture capital newsletter VentureBeat that he isn't worried about government intervention. “We don't have a business built on copyright infringement,” he said. “Like many other cloud-based sharing services like Box.net and Dropbox, we're a legitimate business targeting professionals.”

MegaUpload Limited was shut down by the U.S. Justice Department on January 19, following the indictment and arrest of its owners.

source:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-23/filesonic-uploaded-others-remove-file-sharing-options

"Now I'm really pissed off"

H

hellrasinbrasin

Aazealh said:
Because you don't know how to download illegal content without using these websites?

No I'm pissed, because all of my recordings; of places I traveled to were hosted on
these sites. So now, I can't share them with my friends; due to the fall out from
Megaupload.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Looks like, I'll have to use Youtube now; or just burn them to disk.

:femto:

Or use another hosting service; there are plenty of them out there (see what Mediafire's CEO said in the article you posted). But I agree with Johnstantine, nothing beats having your own domain. And it costs something like $50/year.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Sounds, like a good idea; I'll look into it. This crap, with the internet; is really inconveniencing people
like myself who aren't downloading illegal content.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Sounds, like a good idea; I'll look into it. This crap, with the internet; is really inconveniencing people
like myself who aren't downloading illegal content.

Create a Hotmail account, you have 25GB of Skydrive hosting space for free, accessible from your phone or any computer at any time, and it's never going away or going down or anything. Specific parts of the content can be shared with friends on a basis you define yourself without any hassle. And like I said, Dropbox and such that were cited in the article you posted offer similar services. These guys are legit. I know a lot of people did it, but using Megaupload to back up important data was a mistake in the first place.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:
Create a Hotmail account, you have 25GB of Skydrive hosting space for free, accessible from your phone or any computer at any time, and it's never going away or going down or anything. Specific parts of the content can be shared with friends on a basis you define yourself without any hassle. And like I said, Dropbox and such that were cited in the article you posted offer similar services. These guys are legit. I know a lot of people did it, but using Megaupload to back up important data was a mistake in the first place.

I'd also like to mention my personal favorite, Evernote.

Top Bottom