The Walking Dead

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=69060

The forced southern accent makes my eyes squint. Idk, it looks mediocre as is right now. :judo:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I believe the first episode is airing tonight. I'm at work sadly, but is anyone going to watch it? I plan to as soon as I can.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I believe the first episode is airing tonight. I'm at work sadly, but is anyone going to watch it? I plan to as soon as I can.
I'd like to but I just canceled my cable... I'll find a way :badbone:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Just watched it, and loved it. Granted, I never read the comics... I was taken by the hype and glad I did.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The show has amazingly high production value, but man the casting is just awful. Rick comes across as way too stupid, and not crafty and intelligent like in the comics, and Shane is a 100% douchebag in the show, where in the comics he's at least somewhat relateable. Carl also should have a hard edge to him, even early on. But nope, he gets a generic kid actor.

What's left is very promising. But just like the prospect of a Berserk anime or film, I'd really just rather read the comics.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Unfortunately I was so incredibly tired after work that I ended up watching the first half hour before falling asleep, then woke up at some random part but fell back asleep again. So i can't really judge what I saw, but from what I remember it was good. They really got the zombies down, I think, as Walter said productions were good. And they didn't shy away from violence either. I really want to see this episode when I'm not so out of it. I've also never read the comic either but I might now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I haven't read the comics, and just wiki'd it for info on em.
That's pretty repugnant, dude. It's really not how you should experience the series. Or anything, for that matter.

It isn't repugnant if I wanted to find out how many volumes there are to the comic series now is it? If I didn't Wiki it, I'd have gone to a store and picked up single volumes versus the Omnibus edition or asking for the hardcovers ^_^

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
It isn't repugnant if I wanted to find out how many volumes there are to the comic series now is it? If I didn't Wiki it, I'd have gone to a store and picked up single volumes versus the Omnibus edition or asking for the hardcovers ^_^
Well, you didn't specify what you'd "wiki'd." You just said you wiki'd info about the comic series since you hadn't read it. Which sounded to me like you're reading summaries of what occurs in the comic.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Moving on, it's interesting to me reading reviews of people's impressions on the episode premiere. Opinions seem to be split down the middle. On one side, many are impressed by the quality of it, given the TV medium. On the other, many are turned off by the relatively cliche zombie apocalypse situation.

Well, for those in doubt of this series' originality, there is a LOT more to it than zombies. I'd say about the first 2 volumes cover the basic bullet points for most zombie flicks. And sure, most of us have "been there done that." Granted. But from there, it continues on into territory well beyond where most of those movies have ended.

As it progresses, it becomes less about zombie-specific incidents/how to survive, and becomes more about what kind of people are left, and who they become as a result of surviving. The main character, Rick, is no joke one of my favorite fictional characters. The ways that he develops over the series is just fascinating to watch. He's the heart of what keeps the series ticking month after month.

Family, religion, morals, civilization, all these things are twisted and have new meanings after the focus of the show pans out beyond simply "killin zombies." It's actually been disconcerting to me to read letters written to Kirkman (the author) recently asking when we'll see more zombie attacks. As a reference, this would be akin to someone writing to Miura asking when the next time Guts and Co would get attacked by ghosts.

There's a lot more interesting material to explore than the superficial action elements in these situations, and I'm glad Kirkman has the balls and vision to tell those stories. It's what makes Walking Dead special.

I'm not big on zombies, or horror for that matter. But you guys say its story and character development heavy. So.. I might give it a shot.

X

Xem

Walter said:
Well, for those in doubt of this series' originality, there is a LOT more to it than zombies. I'd say about the first 2 volumes cover the basic bullet points for most zombie flicks. And sure, most of us have "been there done that." Granted. But from there, it continues on into territory well beyond where most of those movies have ended.

Personally I'm offended that people would have a "been there done that" perspective, this isn't a vampire story. I've been hoping that trend will die out for ages. What started that anyway? Blade? :troll:

I've been wanting to pick up the volumes for a while, I even went to buy them but the earliest volume my shop had in stock was volume 11 at the time. Hopefully that will change now. I've recently converted a few people as well. Just like the Berserk anime or the Watchmen movie, I'm sure this will convince more people to pick up the comic. The first episode was rather good in my opinion and I'm sure the comic is 10x better at least.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Id actually say the show is better than the comic, in terms of these early issues. The comic starts out a little awkward, and the artist that did them didn't really jibe with the writing. Kirkman gets a different artist around volume 2 that stays with him for the rest of the series (thus far) and he's really great.

Watching the first ep.
I'm really liking it so far.

There are some things that are kind of strange but whatever. It's a zombie tv series, it's not like things need to completely make sense.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finished watching it finally, thought it was awesome.
The end where he is crawling under the tank was intense. I felt bad for the horse :judo:
One of the better things to watch on television for sure.

Ramen4ever said:
There are some things that are kind of strange but whatever. It's a zombie tv series, it's not like things need to completely make sense.

What didn't make sense to you?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The first episode is on Hulu now: http://www.hulu.com/watch/190905/the-walking-dead-days-gone-bye

Oburi said:
Finished watching it finally, thought it was awesome.
The end where he is crawling under the tank was intense. I felt bad for the horse :judo:
One of the better things to watch on television for sure.

What didn't make sense to you?

Quite a few things, mostly minor details. but the biggest is how he woke up in the hospital. with so many zombies around, he should have been eaten shortly after falling out of bed and making all that noise, if not before. It's also interesting how he was simply just forgotten there. Another part that didn't make sense imo is how that Horse initially stayed alive, after the couple killed themselves at the farm. Or why he saddled up the horse without cleaning it first. They're pretty high maintenance animals. You throw a saddle on a dirty horses back and then ride off and you have a pretty good chance of giving it some kind of health problem. I suppose he doesn't know what he's doing, but I'm no horse expert and even I know that. Another part that didn't make too much sense is how the black guy decided to just start shooting out the window. I mean why didn't the zombies charge the house after he started? In Atlanta, the mob was literally clawing at the tank. But back at the town, nothing.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Quite a few things, mostly minor details. but the biggest is how he woke up in the hospital. with so many zombies around, he should have been eaten shortly after falling out of bed and making all that noise, if not before.

He wasn't making any noise and the door was shut. Also, all of the zombies that were in the hospital were in that room that said 'dead inside'. So, there ya go.

It's also interesting how he was simply just forgotten there.

It's logical to think that if a person is in a coma, then they're going to be dead weight. They needed to get out as quickly as possible. Survival of the fittest at its finest.

Another part that didn't make sense imo is how that Horse initially stayed alive, after the couple killed themselves at the farm. Or why he saddled up the horse without cleaning it first. They're pretty high maintenance animals. You throw a saddle on a dirty horses back and then ride off and you have a pretty good chance of giving it some kind of health problem. I suppose he doesn't know what he's doing, but I'm no horse expert and even I know that.

Maybe he wasn't a horse expert, either? You work with what you have and what he had was a horse. It's not like the horse was a huge plot device, anyways.

Another part that didn't make too much sense is how the black guy decided to just start shooting out the window. I mean why didn't the zombies charge the house after he started? In Atlanta, the mob was literally clawing at the tank. But back at the town, nothing.

The difference is is that the ATL zombies had sight of the target as opposed to Morgan being hidden behind a window. The zombies only had sound to go on when it came to him.

The thing that stood out the most to me was
he got shot in the left shoulder, but was bandaged around his gut area.

Top Bottom