The Walking Dead

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Just watched the first episode really liked it and I'm going to have to watch this next episode right after Dexter tonight. I can't really complain about the differences between the show and the comic, but as someone that has never read the comic, I'm really digging this.

Walter said:
On the other, many are turned off by the relatively cliche zombie apocalypse situation.
I've watched a lot of zombie movies and Walking Dead (with the one episode I have watched) isn't comparable to all of that other shit being pumped into the zombie market.

I honestly hope George Romero watches this episode and kicks himself for not meeting this quality of directing and story telling.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ramen4ever said:
Another part that didn't make sense imo is how that Horse initially stayed alive, after the couple killed themselves at the farm. Or why he saddled up the horse without cleaning it first. They're pretty high maintenance animals. You throw a saddle on a dirty horses back and then ride off and you have a pretty good chance of giving it some kind of health problem. I suppose he doesn't know what he's doing, but I'm no horse expert and even I know that.
Yea I wish they showed all that, that would have been very interesting to watch. I also wish they had showed him taking a shit once in while, I mean we know he got to take a shower but when did he have a chance to take a shit?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
Yea I wish they showed all that, that would have been very interesting to watch. I also wish they had showed him taking a shit once in while, I mean we know he got to take a shower but when did he have a chance to take a shit?

Ha! I actually thought you were serious for a second.

Ramen
Obviously the owners recently killed them selves, and it doesn't matter about brushing the horse.

Johnstantine said:
He wasn't making any noise and the door was shut. Also, all of the zombies that were in the hospital were in that room that said 'dead inside'. So, there ya go.

Except that he did make noise, when he woke up he was running the tap, falling on the ground. The eaten woman outside that he saw in the hallway also indicates that there were zombies roaming the hallways or in rooms, and most likely not just in the "dead" room. And if he was in a coma, how did he survive with no water, or care of any kind.
The horse not being an important plot device doesn't really matter. From a survival perspective, it's only common sense to make what you have last as long as possible. That goes for your transportation as well.

Oburi said:

Then next time don't ask.
It's not like I was going to initially even say the few negligible details that I noticed. After all, they don't really matter.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Whew, second episode was great! Much faster paced. I like the character interactions. And it was nice to see Michael Rooker in there as a total badass, only to be out-badassed by the cop (forgot his name, sorry). I like Glenn, the asian kid the best so far though.

Just finished the second episode. Not liking these 'new' additions to the story, at all.
I'll keep it simple since I really need to go to bed.

What Didn't Work (for me):
- Doggy-style in the woods. "...What zombies?"
- The line that included, "Mr. Yo." :schierke: Aka: Hooky dialogue.
- T-Dawg (was it?) dropping the key, in 'Oh-No-Slow-Mo', down that little hole and dooming the Racist.
- Also, if I heard correctly...his name is T-Dawg.
- The whole scene where Rick gets emo over the zombie he's about to chop up.
- Adding characters unnecessarily. Unless the Racist turns out to be the Governor (which he won't), the black woman is Michonne (which she isn't), why the fuck did they throw these people in?!

I'll watch this whole season in all honesty and hope for the best (It worked with this season's Dexter). But Episode 2 has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh also: Continuity.
T-Dawg was sitting propped up on the roof, wearing a hat, talking to the racist. Then he's downstairs (sans-hat) and given the key after they chop up a corpse. Then, they run up to look at Glen and Rick walk amongst the zombies and there's good old T-Dawg, wearing a hat propped up on the little wall next to the racist?
Yep. AMC Quality. Anyone else notice this?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Ramen4ever said:
Except that he did make noise, when he woke up he was running the tap, falling on the ground. The eaten woman outside that he saw in the hallway also indicates that there were zombies roaming the hallways or in rooms, and most likely not just in the "dead" room. And if he was in a coma, how did he survive with no water, or care of any kind.

The building was probably not empty for too long. The eaten woman could have easily been shot by the military as they were pulling out of the hospital. From the looks of it that is what happened. As for Rick's stay in the hospital, he was barely growing a beard, so he wasn't in there for months, only a few days and as far as not dying from dehydration he was probably [he was in a hospital after all] kept on a consistent IV drip up until no one was able to care for him.

Had to record today's episode, Dexter came on and I was told I was watching that instead. :carcus:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Haven't read the original, so I'm judging the show purely on its own merits, and so far it's been alright. Obviously, the production values are through the roof amazing, but the TV melodrama has unfortunately been of standard quality. It's basically good enough that I'll keep watching for the potential that it really takes off and lives up to what I've heard/read about the source material, but I'm worried that the equally strong negative soap opera potential is what's going to take off instead. I can't say I like where it's going right now.

Proj2501 said:
Yep. AMC Quality. Anyone else notice this?

Yep, among other things...

"HEY I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS GONNA WORK!!"

"SHHHHHHH!!!!! STOP TALKIN!!!"

Lots of silly stuff like that, which completely undermine those efforts to ground the show in its own reality with some rules. I can't take the show as seriously as it wants me to when the characters have to be selectively stupid for the plot to work either (
not barricading the doors, the bullshit with the key and not giving the guy the hacksaw, never retrieving the guns, there either being no zombies or a ton of zombies depending on convenience, etc etc
). Turns even good ideas into bad ones, would be better if it was just consistent one way or the other.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
Well, it looked promising, hopefully the writers don't ruin it like Lost. I mean come on purtagory, horrible predictable cliche ending.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Ramen4ever said:
The horse not being an important plot device doesn't really matter. From a survival perspective, it's only common sense to make what you have last as long as possible. That goes for your transportation as well.

Then next time don't ask.
It's not like I was going to initially even say the few negligible details that I noticed. After all, they don't really matter.

You're putting way too much thought into a show about zombies, even if it is a well written show about zombies. I guess I could see where you're coming from with the whole "how did he survive that long" thing, but getting spergy about a horse is just ridiculous.

emo over chopping up a zombie

Uh most of the point of The Walking Dead was that the characters are still aware that the zombies were once people. FYI the title doesn't refer to the zombies.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
The building was probably not empty for too long. The eaten woman could have easily been shot by the military as they were pulling out of the hospital. From the looks of it that is what happened. As for Rick's stay in the hospital, he was barely growing a beard, so he wasn't in there for months, only a few days and as far as not dying from dehydration he was probably [he was in a hospital after all] kept on a consistent IV drip up until no one was able to care for him.

Had to record today's episode, Dexter came on and I was told I was watching that instead. :carcus:

Yeah, makes sense.
the time he spent there was muddled for me because of the clock. It stopped, and the scene literally zoomed in on it, lol. I automatically associate that with years. Since my clock is 3 years running on a single AA. lol there was a shot of the clock, like it was important. but then the flowers only look a few weeks old. Plus his wound isn't fully healed and his beard is about as much as I get in about two weeks. so the shot of the clock was completely useless because everything else indicates a relatively short stay in the hospital.

MrWeatherby said:
You're putting way too much thought into a show about zombies, even if it is a well written show about zombies. I guess I could see where you're coming from with the whole "how did he survive that long" thing, but getting spergy about a horse is just ridiculous.

I doubt it. I hardly put any real thought into it. It's not like I dissected the episode looking for these things. They just popped out at me on first viewing. They're not complaints. Just some semi-strange details that I happened to notice or made me question the scene a little. The reason I noticed the horse is because he puts the rope around it's head to lead it out, and you see the horses coat and it has all these dirty gray areas and even some spots. Does it matter, probably not. But you'd have to be pretty unperceptive to not notice it. Or how the horse looks exactly as dirty when he rides off. Imo that's just careless, but considering what happens after, not very surprising.
If I was gonna put more thought into the show, then I would have mentioned more important details, and actually.. more ridiculous details.
Like how he climbs under the tank, and just so happens to find an open hatch there, and once inside, he just so happens to be contacted on the radio before he has a chance to do himself in. It's hard not to laugh at something like that. Or how he just kept going deeper and deeper into the city. I mean come on, if you see zombies in the city. Do you really need things to be spelled out for you? there's probably a lot more where that came from. And genius as Rick is, he rode into them, chasing a helicopter? ahahahha!! I guess it's necessary, after all, if the main character had common sense and a survival instinct, there'd be no story.

Anyway, I'm gonna catch the episode in a few hours.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I doubt it. I hardly put any real thought into it. It's not like I dissected the episode looking for these things.

Actually you did, because you're putting an incredibly large amount of emphasis on things that don't matter in any way. He didn't groom the horse for five minutes, oh no my suspension of disbelief!

Like how he climbs under the tank, and just so happens to find an open hatch there, and once inside, he just so happens to be contacted on the radio before he has a chance to do himself in. It's hard not to laugh at something like that.

This is all logical plot progression and in no way a far stretch. The radio to a tank would not be off, survivors have already been shown using radios to communicate over short distances. Tanks have bottom hatches, and its likely that it was opened at some point. He also rode into a city street absolutely packed with zombies by accident. He saw two before that, not a few hundred.
What you're expecting from the show is a level of realism that would make it mundane and unwatchable.

In fact what you're expecting is for nothing bad to happen at all because everyone is much smarter than the undead. Don't bother watching the second episode, you'll get all retarded and ruin it for yourself too.

YOU SEE THEY WOULDNT BE FOOLED BY THE SMELL AND WALK ALONE THE ZOMBIE EYE IS VERY WLL TRAINED WITH REGARDS TO SKIN TONE AND FURTHERMORE

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You know how people will watch an anime, be interested, but not read the associated manga? That's like watching The Walking Dead, kinda liking it, but not reading the comic.

Read the comic. Read it now, or I'll ride my horse without properly brushing dirt off, which could seriously injure it later on down the line. Do you want that? No, I didn't think so.

Griffith

I'm not going to read it until the season is over since I doubt knowing exactly what they screwed up is going to enhance my expectations or experience with the show. So, worst case scenario, the TV series leads me to the comic.

MrWeatherby said:
Actually you did, because you're putting an incredibly large amount of emphasis on things that don't matter in any way. He didn't groom the horse for five minutes, oh no my suspension of disbelief!

Amusing, for me that was pretty negligible amounts of emphasis. And belief or disbelief are irrelevant, it's a zombie series. The details I noticed didn't alter my opinion of the show one way or another. I'm not really sure why you're on my ass about it.

MrWeatherby said:
This is all logical plot progression and in no way a far stretch. The radio to a tank would not be off, survivors have already been shown using radios to communicate over short distances. Tanks have bottom hatches, and its likely that it was opened at some point. He also rode into a city street absolutely packed with zombies by accident. He saw two before that, not a few hundred.
What you're expecting from the show is a level of realism that would make it mundane and unwatchable.
The radio being in the tank isn't surprising at all, being contacted on it however just before he blows his own fucking head off, is. Plus its obvious that it's gonna happen.. The open hatch was painfully convenient. That was some damn good luck. Not that that's a problem, but it is hard not to laugh at these kind of developments.

I never said I was expecting it. I don't have any expectations of this show. I'll enjoy it for what it is, simple as that.

MrWeatherby said:
Uh most of the point of The Walking Dead was that the characters are still aware that the zombies were once people. FYI the title doesn't refer to the zombies.

UH funny how I didn't complain about the scene where he talks to the bicycle-zombie as they look each other in the eye. It was well done and necessary to drive home what the heart of the show is about.

Rick getting sappy again in episode 2 was pushing it for me. It felt forced.
"I'm going to tell my son about Mr. So-So"
dawson-crying.jpg

:schierke:
I guess they're trying to drive home the fact that Rick is a 'deep' man.

MrWeatherby said:
In fact what you're expecting is for nothing bad to happen at all because everyone is much smarter than the undead. Don't bother watching the second episode, you'll get all retarded and ruin it for yourself too.

Ramen, you're right about the clock bit too. I couldn't help but think, "The clock's out? Why?" Battery opearated or electric. If battery...awesome timing. If electric, then I'll have to call b.s. cuz the lights were on in the hospital. It's details like this that make me shake my head at the effort that is being made.

Not expecting the most amazing show ever created. But these mistakes are blemishes on what could be something special.

Griffith

Proj2501 said:
Not expecting the most amazing show ever created. But these mistakes are blemishes on what could be something special.

Yeah, there are details that are important to be consistent with (rules and consequences for zombie survival to maintain suspense, balancing the human drama, overall continuity), and details that aren't (the horse, the clock, Guts' nipples, etc =), which won't determine whether it's something special or not, so I'm not for nitpicking everything about it to death.

On the other hand, we also don't need any overzealous fans vehemently defending even its most obvious flaws, ahem.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Ramen4ever said:
I never said I was expecting it. I don't have any expectations of this show. I'll enjoy it for what it is, simple as that.

He wasn't going to off himself in the tank, genius. Otherwise he wouldn't shut both hatches. I guess he just did that then so he wouldn't make a big mess for the zombies to see, I mean they have feelings too, guts are gross. As for getting conveniently contacted, somebody was watching the events unfold and was able to contact him on an emergency channel once he got in the tank. I managed to figure that out before having any context from the second episode, so whats your excuse?

But no, he's totally going to shoot himself and become a zombie by the second episode. And like, why didn't the professor just build a boat to get off the island? What the heck man.

I'm not even a fan of the comic and just barely heard about this show, but even I can tell when someone is being a moron and watching it wrong. Quit focusing on dumb things, duder.

I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing and nothing more.

Anyway, I enjoyed the 2nd ep. I'm really liking Glen's character, funny guy.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Ramen4ever said:
I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing and nothing more.

Anyway, I enjoyed the 2nd ep. I'm really liking Glen's character, funny guy.

Not really, I'm arguing because the fact that you expect detailed horse brushery literally hurts my brain.

EDIT: birthday party is what comics are like. all that dumb analysis is what you're like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbd0ZfwEfQo&NR=1

What how did he change clothes so fast, thats stupid it takes much longer in real life.

Professor X wouldn't kill an innocent human being, thats so out of character and forced.

professor x clearly didnt drown in the pool in issue 293, the closest thing he came to death was being phased to Earth-K in 218. even then he easily overcame the Mindlord's psychic grip on him and used his intellect to create a dimension gate to return home in the very same issue. These aren't big things, but I notice them.

2ls7bqa.png

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, they really went off script this episode, didn't they?

Though, I don't think anyone here should complain, as the episode's title was ... :guts:

MrWeatherby said:
Not really, I'm arguing because the fact that you expect detailed horse brushery literally hurts my brain.

EDIT: birthday party is what comics are like. all that dumb analysis is what you're like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbd0ZfwEfQo&NR=1

What how did he change clothes so fast, thats stupid it takes much longer in real life.

Professor X wouldn't kill an innocent human being, thats so out of character and forced.

professor x clearly didnt drown in the pool in issue 293, the closest thing he came to death was being phased to Earth-K in 218. even then he easily overcame the Mindlord's psychic grip on him and used his intellect to create a dimension gate to return home in the very same issue. These aren't big things, but I notice them.

2ls7bqa.png

You should really drop it already..

Walter said:

Yeah, I heard most of this episode deviated from the comic, but since I haven't read it, I'm not one to say by how much.
does the comic elaborate on what happened to the guy on the roof who got left behind? Or do things happen differently?

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:

I haven't read the comics yet, but from what I understand they added five or so characters and really went in their own direction which is sorta neat. I keep hearing
the prison arc
is the best part of the comic though. Too bad that won't be until season two at the very least.

Top Bottom