The Walking Dead

Wow, 112 gotta be one of the worst chapters in a long time. TWD is famous for leaving a sour taste due to majorly touching tragedy, but this time it was straight-up because of poor writing. Well, perhaps its building up to something good, but man, on its own, it was pretty damn horrible. Especially considering the climax of 111, after reading that, I was craving for more but now Im not really sure if I´ll read the next one, of course I will eventually but I dont remember ever considering putting it off for a longer time, like for 6-12 issues or so.

Well, its not as if I´ve completely lost faith in it, I guess it still has a lot of potential. Its just, reading 6-12 in one go has always seemed like the ideal way to go about it. Till now I just havent had the patience for it, but now seems like the perfect time.

So, whatta you guys think?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Hanma_Baki said:
Wow, 112 gotta be one of the worst chapters in a long time. TWD is famous for leaving a sour taste due to majorly touching tragedy, but this time it was straight-up because of poor writing. Well, perhaps its building up to something good, but man, on its own, it was pretty damn horrible. Especially considering the climax of 111, after reading that, I was craving for more but now Im not really sure if I´ll read the next one, of course I will eventually but I dont remember ever considering putting it off for a longer time, like for 6-12 issues or so.

Well, its not as if I´ve completely lost faith in it, I guess it still has a lot of potential. Its just, reading 6-12 in one go has always seemed like the ideal way to go about it. Till now I just havent had the patience for it, but now seems like the perfect time.

So, whatta you guys think?

112 was better than 111, which was way better than 110.

Other than that, the series has been stagnant and predictable for the past few years.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Other than that, the series has been stagnant and predictable for the past few years.
Wish I could disagree. Honestly I think the TV show involvement has distracted Kirkman. He's hardly contributed anything worthwhile to the comic since it took off.

That being said, I'm about a volume and a half behind. Unaware of recent developments.

Hanma_Baki said:
Wow, 112 gotta be one of the worst chapters in a long time. TWD is famous for leaving a sour taste due to majorly touching tragedy, but this time it was straight-up because of poor writing.
I'm all caught up now, and I like where things are headed, but it has indeed been very, very predictable. I also think that my earlier guess that
Negan isn't going to turn out quite like the monster he was introduced as, so far has proven true.
He's just, ya know, got his own crazy way of dealing with managing people in this new world. :void:

Johnstantine said:
112 was better than 111, which was way better than 110.

Interesting. Care to elaborate? (Never discussed TWD that much with anyone, would be nice to hear another´s opinion)

Walter said:
That being said, I'm about a volume and a half behind. Unaware of recent developments.
I'm all caught up now, and I like where things are headed, but it has indeed been very, very predictable. I also think that my earlier guess that
Negan isn't going to turn out quite like the monster he was introduced as, so far has proven true.
He's just, ya know, got his own crazy way of dealing with managing people in this new world. :void:
Yeah, I dont really mind Negan all that much but what I dont like is that this whole thing makes Rick look like a total retard, its been like this, back and forth for what feels like forever now.
Negan; the SUPER BAD GUY who miraculously shows the grumpy main character mercy due to some random "dues ex machina"
...granted, this doesnt seem to be the case in the next issue, judging from Negans last comment on the matter (which btw is the best, if not only good part of this issue). Im just saying this almost feels like a summarization of this arc and didnt really provide anything new.

I don't fully understand your comment, but I will say that I found this episode moved at a snails pace and barely escalated the current predicament.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Jaze1618 said:
I don't fully understand your comment, but I will say that I found this episode moved at a snails pace and barely escalated the current predicament.

What you said, but in fewer words.

It was better than the last few issues, but that's not really saying much.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished it. Man, Kirkman's really been dropping the ball lately... Predictable scenarios one after the other. Virtually nothing happened in this issue despite all that's on the line, despite the dramatic line from the ending of last issue.

I'm still holding out hope this arc ends well, but even if it does, it took far too long to get there.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
114 was actually a pretty good issue.

Apparently, the series is going to be release twice monthly for a few months:

115, October
116, 117, November
118, December
119, 120 January
121, 122 February
123, 124 March
125, 126 April

Pretty cool. I always thought it should have been, seeing that the art is pretty scratchy AND in black and white.

Anyone watching the TV show? I'm up to episode 4 but hope to catch up on Thursday. So far, it's a slow start to the season, some scenes feel long. I just want everyone important to die off and that one annoying character, Carl, should be the last man standing. It'll be interesting to see how Daryl reacts
to Carol's disappearance.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
IncantatioN said:
Anyone watching the TV show?
The show lost me in the penultimate episode of last season. I don't have cable, and I have absolutely no desire to resume watching. Maybe once it's one Netfilx I'll check it out, but as it stands I still haven't even seen the Season 3 finale, nor do I particularly want to. Oh well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
Maybe once it's one Netfilx I'll check it out, but as it stands I still haven't even seen the Season 3 finale, nor do I particularly want to. Oh well.
The show is on Netflix now. I think they have everything up to the end of S3.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I just read the whooooooole thing up to #125. I'm not quite caught up on the show yet. The show characters seem to be substantially dumber than the book characters. They've left a lot of great scenes out of the show and not really replaced them with much added awesomeness. Still watching though, cause I'm a terrible sucker for zombies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
The show characters seem to be substantially dumber than the book characters. They've left a lot of great scenes out of the show and not really replaced them with much added awesomeness.

Yep, as I've said a number of times in this thread, the show's portrayal of Rick is a sad shadow compared to the man in the comic. It's what turned me off to the show the most.

Regarding 125:
Wow, I uh, guess I should have seen that coming. Now what?

Season 4 (TV show) started real slow. Overall there are a few (handful) of good moments but by the end of it I thought they could've gotten a lot more accomplished before the end to the season, as if they were milking it now that they have a higher viewership. Plenty of unconvincing or "that's just too easy" moments though. Zombie design changed (around their mouths/ teeth) and they also forgot how to attack compared to other seasons.

How much of the story has been covered in the TV series compared to the comic? 20/ 30% ??

I'm only still watching it just to make comparisons to the comics. It's the same reason why I even bothered to watch all the Berserk films. I'm curious to know what stays the same and all the changes to it.

IncantatioN said:
How much of the story has been covered in the TV series compared to the comic? 20/ 30% ??

So far, the TV series loosely adapts up to issue 64, which is close to 50% if you ignore all the changes to it.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Just read issue 127.

I gotta say, after about two years of not really giving a shit about the series...this has me curious and super interested.

Lithrael

Yeah, 127 is more like what I like to see; I find myself really enjoying the slice-of-life stuff and getting pretty bored with 'oh no!! shit hits the fan again!!!' stuff pretty quickly. I guess it does make sense that for a threat to be credible it has to take a good few issues to play out, but as far as I'm concerned, the threat is only there to shake up the characters and make some more stuff happen.

On the zombie genre in general, I would think huge zombie herds wold be the main, unrelenting problem in all long-term zombie stories though. I mean there's millions and millions of them out there. I find myself wondering where are all the zombies? It makes sense for rural areas to have a manageable zombie population, but there are hundreds of cities with more than a hundred thousand people in them. Are all the city zombies just hangin out in the cities? Cities like Chicago, Philly, Boston, Miami, super-fucked with upwards of ten thousand people per square mile? At least the big zombie reboot, Dawn of the Dead (wow, was the ten years ago already?) did seem to play it that way, with the protagonists trapped by a straight-up sea of zombies.
So I liked the glimpse of that in this issue.

Oh and the Toshiro Mifune look is great for Jesus.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished 127. Hot damn, the series hasn't been this good in 5-6 years. Such a breath of fresh air after the recent arc. Great to see Kirkman making bold decisions again.

Carl looks utterly ridiculous. In other words, an uncanny portrait of a teenager in a post apocalyptic world.

The TV show was very stale during the governor phase...

I am actually looking forward to this next phase as it looks good.

Lithrael

Salibu said:
The TV show was very stale during the governor phase...

I am actually looking forward to this next phase as it looks good.

Agreed. I can't wrap my head around why they gave that guy like two extra episodes all to himself. I don't think anybody was interested in seeing more of his story. The TV version of the guy was just this pathetic asshole, not spectacularly evil, but really amazingly selfish, who had a high enough charisma score to string people along for a while. I didn't feel like he needed any fleshing out.

I agree.

Whats worse is...they basically took two episodes worth of time to try and make you like the dude....only to turn around and confirm your initial thoughts that he was a huge douche-nozzle.

I understand the argument that they did that to actually show you just how evil he was...but the thing is, our last memory was him gunning down 20+ innocent people...we already knew he was an asshat.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We should really make two separate threads at this point. One for comic. One for show.

Top Bottom