Third Editions - Berserk book

Just saw this on my Berserk related feed.

According to google translate "Here is the First Print edition of #Berserk. In the Ink of Darkness, an analysis book by @ whatisalt236 with a cover illustration by @sinpiggyhead. Edition excluded 3rd with dust jacket & ex-libris. Book available in July. Preview @japanexpo_en!"

WTzkeLL.jpg

j85mSWU.jpg

The author apparently has also done a video talking about the series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HGVV25bH04

I haven't watched the video as yet.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So, what is it exactly? I know Third Editions is a publisher of essays and such, but is this guy really going to fill 200 pages with Berserk speculations?

I like the font treatment on the first one, but weird decision to break up a 5 letter word across 2 lines just to fit in the skull. Logo on the second one is just the 2016 anime logo, so that's unfortunate.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So, what is it exactly? I know Third Editions is a publisher of essays and such, but is this guy really going to fill 200 pages with Berserk speculations?

They say it's an analysis (text only, doesn't contain artwork). There's a bunch of similar books in Japanese, and like those, I expect this one to be of little value.
I've just watched the video linked above and it's well-produced but very superficial as far as the "analysis" goes. It's more like a lengthy overview of Berserk and a few of its main elements.

The guy gets a number of things wrong as well in his video, like saying apostles are "from another dimension", or that a place called "The Nexus" is "the central part of the Astral World, where both the God Hand and the Four Elemental Kings dwell" (he uses your old, incorrect diagram of the three worlds for reference). He also asserts things about the God Hand that are pure speculation on his part, like that Void "is the only one who can apply the Brand, and therefore also the only one able to remove it", or that Conrad "possesses the power to transmute physical reality", while Slan's powers are "incarnation, teleportation and manipulation of fate".

He adds that Void's name comes from the novel "Destination: Void" and Conrad's from "This Immortal", which is mere speculation and was never confirmed. In the same vein, he says Conrad's design was inspired by that H.R. Giger's picture of a wall of babies, which is not at all a sure thing (and is in fact unlikely). What else... He says that Femto rapes Casca, who "Guts loves subconsciously". He also says the Holy Iron Chain Knights are led by Mozgus, then adds that Mozgus is actually an apostle. There's more but you get the idea.

The vibe I get from it is that he read the manga over a short period of time, checked some information on the Internet and then made that video. Hopefully more effort will have been put into research for the book.

They say it's an analysis (text only, doesn't contain artwork). There's a bunch of similar books in Japanese, and like those, I expect this one to be of little value.
I've just watched the video linked above and it's well-produced but very superficial as far as the "analysis" goes. It's more like a lengthy overview of Berserk and a few of its main elements.

The guy gets a number of things wrong as well in his video, like saying apostles are "from another dimension", or that a place called "The Nexus" is "the central part of the Astral World, where both the God Hand and the Four Elemental Kings dwell" (he uses your old, incorrect diagram of the three worlds for reference). He also asserts things about the God Hand that are pure speculation on his part, like that Void "is the only one who can apply the Brand, and therefore also the only one able to remove it", or that Conrad "possesses the power to transmute physical reality", while Slan's powers are "incarnation, teleportation and manipulation of fate".

He adds that Void's name comes from the novel "Destination: Void" and Conrad's from "This Immortal", which is mere speculation and was never confirmed. In the same vein, he says Conrad's design was inspired by that H.R. Giger's picture of a wall of babies, which is not at all a sure thing (and is in fact unlikely). What else... He says that Femto rapes Casca, who "Guts loves subconsciously". He also says the Holy Iron Chain Knights are led by Mozgus, then adds that Mozgus is actually an apostle. There's more but you get the idea.

The vibe I get from it is that he read the manga over a short period of time, checked some information on the Internet and then made that video. Hopefully more effort will have been put into research for the book.

I was curious about this book since it has been announced.
I didn't took the time to check his video but after reading what you said... I know I won't buy it.

Slanisbae

Slan may be a thot... But she's still my waifu!
hey guys! I was scrolling through amazon when I found this mysterious new literary criticism on berserk!
it was released 2 days ago, not sure if anyone has brought it up
mentions some talk on miura as an author and includes some sort of relations between other artists like Bosch and a personal favorite of mine Gustave Dore!?? so random!

check it!
https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Quentin-Alt-236-Boeton/dp/2377842763

for those of you who may not know (Gustave Dore is well known for his ICONIC engravings depicting Dante's Inferno)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hey guys! I was scrolling through amazon when I found this mysterious new literary criticism on berserk!

This isn't new, so I merged your thread with the existing one.

mentions some talk on miura as an author and includes some sort of relations between other artists like Bosch and a personal favorite of mine Gustave Dore!?? so random!

Miura's appreciation of Gustave Doré is well-known, it's been mentioned here for almost 20 years. Check out this interview for reference. Nothing random about it either, Doré was a master illustrator and did many many things besides Dante's Inferno.

Slanisbae

Slan may be a thot... But she's still my waifu!
oh oops I didn't see this thread

thanks for the interview link!
I'm definitely aware of his other works outside of Dante's Inferno, He has an insane amount of illustrations, I just figured for anyone who didn't know about him would be able to better relate his works to the popularity of the Inferno and realize who he is. I would argue that series of his work is probably what he's most known for, as they're THE go-to depictions of Alighieri's epic. I feel like Doré is one of those artists you've definitely seen around but just didn't know his name.

what a shame that it's so off the mark and incorrect! the description really got my hopes up...
Thanks for saving me some money Beast of Darkness!

MerlinTheMage

“Because Humans are Afraid of Unknown Things..”
They say it's an analysis (text only, doesn't contain artwork).
So one cool thing about the book is there is a section called “The Labyrinth of the Imagination”. In this section it doesn’t have Miura’s artwork , which is probably what you were talking about in your post, however it does have some paintings from the past that Miura drew inspiration from. Such as artists like Escher & his paintings of things like the Garden of Earthly delights, & Relativity. Most of this whole section is just things that inspired Miura’s creative direction & artwork. Definitely a good little guide to show what type of things drew Miura’s interest. But so far I haven’t read anything that hasn’t been already said by the ones in the Skullkast Podcast. If it were me, I would recommend the podcast to a new berserk fan before this, which is much more palatable than a 230 paged book with 98% text. I will keep this thread updated on if I learn anything new from the book, or possibly something wrong or debatable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
In this section it doesn’t have Miura’s artwork , which is probably what you were talking about in your post

Yes indeed.

But so far I haven’t read anything that hasn’t been already said by the ones in the Skullkast Podcast.

Not to sound arrogant but I doubt even 5% of what has been discussed on the SkullKast gets addressed in that book.

I will keep this thread updated on if I learn anything new from the book, or possibly something wrong or debatable.

Sounds good!

MerlinTheMage

“Because Humans are Afraid of Unknown Things..”
Not to sound arrogant but I doubt even 5% of what has been discussed on the SkullKast gets addressed in that book.
Honestly you don’t sound arrogant at all. I’ve thought that same thing so many times, not about the book, just the whole lore in general. I can’t tell you how much I have searched the internet trying to find at least one thing that I hadn’t already heard on the podcast. My knowledge of almost everything surrounding this series I accredit to you guys, the rest is obviously from reading. Shoutout to ya’ll, I’ve listened to every episode 2 times now & I probably won’t stop there!:ganishka: Seriously though thank you guys for putting so much time & effort into it, its my favorite podcast!

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Honestly you don’t sound arrogant at all. I’ve thought that same thing so many times, not about the book, just the whole lore in general. I can’t tell you how much I have searched the internet trying to find at least one thing that I hadn’t already heard on the podcast. My knowledge of almost everything surrounding this series I accredit to you guys, the rest is obviously from reading. Shoutout to ya’ll, I’ve listened to every episode 2 times now & I probably won’t stop there!:ganishka: Seriously though thank you guys for putting so much time & effort into it, its my favorite podcast!
My sentiments exactly, if it wasnt for this forum and the discution, my knowledge of Berserk and how its made etc would be pretty small I must admit. So yeh, thanks for existing!!

Top Bottom