Tsunami in SW Asia

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I should probably know better then posting something like this in here just because once something even remotely intelligent comes in here it usually ends up in a utter flamed ship wreck of its former self.... In anycase though...

We all know the tragedy of this event and how many have died or estimated to be dead. Now that relief work is on its way there the subject has come up in several areas about the amount of money that is being given for relief...

I have heard reports that at a UN meeting that someone from the EU had called the U.S. stingy for the amount of money being sent... from a different source I had heard that the EU combined did not even send the same amount that the U.S. had sent. The amount in question is... 35 million in immediate money... meaning just what we could send right away.

For those of you not aware on how it works in America.. the President has to ask for more money from the senate which they have to approve, so I am pretty sure more money and man power will be sent down to that area.

I also know that they are criticizing America for spending much much more money in the war then in relief for the victims.

So what do you all think?

I think America is doing fine in allocating funds for relief for these victims and I think America falls into the category of no matter how much money they give... it isn't going to be enough... which is rather obsured.. but shit, I guess it cant be helped.

d00kiemastah

All I want to do is...bicycle.
I agree that it will never seem to be enough in the eyes of many. But what I'd like to know is this; I have no idea how much is alot of money for this kind of situation. Do the people saying it's not enough know? How much is going to be needed to help the situation?

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Now beacuse of that incident, people here in houston are freaking out because we might be hit by a tidle wave. Houston even made a committe dedicated to protecting Houston from tsunamis.

The funny thing is that Houston is about 50 miles at the least from the shore... dumbasses.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Well yea it is pretty stupid of what is going on in there Demon X... I don't Houston is going to feel anything that is caused by the Tsunami.... As for you Queenfan.. Well people are bitching that America is only giving 35 million while we are spending multi-billions on the war. Well what the fuck do they except? Its kinda hard to balance both and all though it is a tragedy, if we would give as much as we are spending on the war to those in need in the Tsunami stricken area... well it would not have good re-precutions... first of all we would be grossly even more in debt and certain things would even be more lacking over there in Iraq... so I think with every countries combined amount of money being given will be more then enough..

I also see that Japan is getting ready to send a vast amount of aid workers over there, so I know that they will get the help that they need... but why is it that some of these countries are criticising us? I know we are the "big" boy on the block but shit... get off these nuts.

Where were people from other countries when 911 happened? GRANTED.... America has the funding to help itself and the countries in question are very poor 3rd world countries... but still. For the most part we didn't really complain to other countries why they didn't help us during that event... but don't quote me on that, I am not aware if we have or not... but I am assuming that we haven't. But here we are helping these other countries and all we are getting is... "Geez why the fuck are you guys being stingy with money."

I think its people being selfish... blah

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The reasoning that we're cheap even though we easily send the most comes from the fact that we send about the lowest percentage of our GNP. Anyway, the comment on the part of the U.N. beancounter was very stupid, but I sure don't think the Gov should have gotten itself into a pissing contest over it. In the wake of the deaths of about 100,000 people or more, we have Colin Powell whining on TV about how Dubya's charity isn't being recognized and bragging about how much money we send? Kinda of a self-deafeating argument if we want to prove we aren't petty and self-centered. Team Bush seems to only play smart politics during election time; I guess that's the only time it matters for them.

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well people are bitching that America is only giving 35 million while we are spending multi-billions on the war. Well what the fuck do they except?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that we gave more money to the tragedy then any other country.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I know, I am just saying that people are saying that we are still stingy cause we are spending more for the war then this Tsunami thing.

Griffith

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I know, I am just saying that people are saying that we are still stingy cause we are spending more for the war then this Tsunami thing.

I only heard about the U.N. guy saying Wesern Nations in general were stingy. Who's dumb enough criticize us for spending more on a long-term war than relief for something that just happend? Of course it's going to be more.

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
I have no clue about the numbers.

But I imagine that the gist of the argument is what Griffith said:

A guy who makes a million a year gives 100 bucks to charity.

A guy who makes 10 000 a year gives 50 bucks to charity.

The rich guy gives more, but will still be critized for not giving enough.

But I guess no amount of money will be enough here.

People here in sweden is still kind of a shock. We was hit hardest by the tourist nations, there might be as many as 4000 fatalities if the worst scenarios come true. Khao Lac, Phi Phi islands and Phuket in Tailand is huge swedish resorts, especially at christmas. We had something like 20 - 30 000 tourists down in Thailand.

I'm just lucky my parents weren't there. They are planning to go to Borneo this year isntead...

SaiyajinNoOuji

"Griffith No More!" said:
I only heard about the U.N. guy saying Wesern Nations in general were stingy. Who's dumb enough criticize us for spending more on a long-term war than relief for something that just happend? Of course it's going to be more.
Exactly... but oh well, looks like dumb people are everywhere and not just this board ;D

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Here in IL, they are accepting donations and money for the victims and their families. I really can't say much about the US and the opinions of around the world, but I myself and my wife donated 100.00 today. If it's the same in other states I encourage everyone that lives in the US to donate what they can.

My prayers are with them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think Griffith and Fishbomb explained people's reaction well already, and as he said, it's probably just a statement by some guy from the U.N., not a general resentment.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well people are bitching that America is only giving 35 million while we are spending multi-billions on the war. Well what the fuck do they except?

I'll be honest and tell you that though I'm neutral on the subject, you didn't convince me, actually by trying to justify it you rather gave me a negative view of the thing. I don't see any good justification for the USA spending so disproportionate amounts of money like that.

The money used for the Iraq war could have been spent for better stuff, and the USA could have been the greatest altruist nation, universal savior, etc. But they just use their money like they want and that's it, really, that's all there is to say.

I don't know about the numbers, but I doubt this to be specific to the USA anyway, it's just the country people are looking at. It's already good that they gave more than the others when they theorically could have given nothing at all.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Where were people from other countries when 911 happened? GRANTED.... America has the funding to help itself and the countries in question are very poor 3rd world countries... but still. For the most part we didn't really complain to other countries why they didn't help us during that event...

Oh come on, it was a fucking world wide tragedy, we had silent minutes again and again in France, thinking of the poor, poor Americans, and we still talk about it now... And it's just 2 buildings that fell, the shock was symbolic, how dare you compare the two things? I think you should reconsider your views on this really.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I think its people being selfish... blah

Yeah, people are selfish everywhere, and US citizens aren't an exception. Nothing new. Anyway, it's a matter of governments and politics, people in the street don't have anything to do with it.

I think it was lucky for my country, It is surround by island of Indonesia and malaysia, we didnt even see any wave raising above 1 m ;D

But then 4 of my fellow locals perished oversea, feel really sad for them :'(

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
Oh come on, it was a fucking world wide tragedy, we had silent minutes again and again in France, thinking of the poor, poor Americans, and we still talk about it now... And it's just 2 buildings that fell, the shock was symbolic, how dare you compare the two things? I think you should reconsider your views on this really.
Well I believe they are more the same then you would think. Granted one was natural and the other was terrorist, both were incidents that happened to many and effected people all across the world. It was a International business area, and the only point I am trying to make is... with 9/11 How many people from different countries started up a foundation for the people that died during it? None that I recall. How many people did they send for relief? None that I recall. Yea you may have shed a tear and said a silent prayer but if the U.S. would have done that in this case with the Earthquake in SW Asia, well hell, we would be called monsters. So I believe I am pretty just comparing the 2. Shit, we even paid the familys for what had happened! Although I am not sure if we paid the foreign familys.... anyone else know anything about that?

So if I am still wrong in any of this, then please by all means, correct me.

And other then body count difference, can you think of anything else that is differnet from this event and 9/11?

SaiyajinNoOuji

Smith said:
Latest News: 118000 ppl perished.... Horrible man
Just saw that myself, fucking nuts... I know that some units over here in Okinawa are involved with the Humanitary relief... Thats like my city of Everett in Washington state and then some just dissapearing off the face of the earth. Fucking nuts.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Just saw that myself, fucking nuts... I know that some units over here in Okinawa are involved with the Humanitary relief... Thats like my city of Everett in Washington state and then some just dissapearing off the face of the earth. Fucking nuts.

Aceh alone had 80000 confirm death.... 118k is just confirmed, many many more are still unaccounted for...

This is as serious as global disaster even though it only affected SW Asia

P

paradise_lost

Smith said:
Aceh alone had 80000 confirm death.... 118k is just confirmed, many many more are still unaccounted for...

This is as serious as global disaster even though it only affected SW Asia

The right count could be between 205.000 and 315.000 ... what's bad ...

:'(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
with 9/11 How many people from different countries started up a foundation for the people that died during it? None that I recall. How many people did they send for relief? None that I recall.

Honestly, I don't have any info about whether people made foundations, or sent people for relief, so I can't say about it.

All I can tell you for sure is that many world leaders and countries showed empathy, and that poor countries sending money wouldn't have done much... As I said, it was I believe more of a symbolic attack, shock, and threat, than a cataclysm.

Now, my point was more about the disaster amplitude, the 9/11 total amount of victims is 2,792 from what they say at http://www.september11news.com, and in terms of infrastructure, the WTC and a part of the pentagon were destroyed.

The Tsunami killed more than 150.000 people (I bet the dead count will grow more and more), and destroyed everything on very large areas. If these countries, that are some of the poorest on earth, don't get help from other nations, it's twice the number that'll die of starvation/epidemic/etc.

Anyway, both were dramatic incidents, and I have a feeling that victims of the 9/11 and of that recent disaster are the most apt to understand the others (well, victims of any disaster).

The thing is that's only the US government giving that much (44 Million as of yesterday and the UK giving as of yesterday 24 Million). The private charities in America haven't even put together their donations yet. Overall what they get from America should be a pretty large sum of money. Even if we did stop at 15 million America already gave more than any other country.

Besides I see no one bashing France for giving (as of yesterday) 100,000 Euros.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gaiseric The Great said:
The thing is that's only the US government giving that much (44 Million as of yesterday and the UK giving as of yesterday 24 Million).

They said they would, for know, it's only saying.

Gaiseric The Great said:
The private charities in America haven't even put together their donations yet.

Same goes for other countries.

Gaiseric The Great said:
Besides I see no one bashing France for giving (as of yesterday) 100,000 Euros.

France already gave that yeah, maybe more by now. They also sent an airplane with trained secourists, medication, etc that cost 500.000+ €. As for the planned funds, it was 20 millions dollars 2 days ago, and it's apparently $30M today. The one promising the most seems to be Great Britain from recent news, they plan something like $100M according to Reuters, meaning more than the USA. Of course, the European Union will be giving money separately too.

Interesting to note than India refused any help, stating they could overcome the problems by themselves.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gaiseric The Great said:
Kofi Annan's press conference had stated that countries have pledged a total of 500 Million. Not bad but only 1/2 way to their goal of a billion (at least a billion).

I read that $14 billions would be needed to cover the disaster... Not that much compared to the $30 billions that Hurricane Andrew cost to the US in 92.

It appears that most countries would be increasing their donation pledges in the following days, too (especially the USA). Anyway, this will probably be the largest international help ever given to aid poor countries after a naturel disaster.

Griffith

Looks like the U.S. is gearing up to send lots of cash over the long term, I'm curious to see what it will amount to when combined with what Europe sends. Private donations should be interesting to see as well.

Hopefully, Kofi and his son won't be in charge of administering the aid.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
Looks like the U.S. is gearing up to send lots of cash over the long term, I'm curious to see what it will amount to when combined with what Europe sends. Private donations should be interesting to see as well.

Yep, as I said, I think it's gonna surpass anything done before. UK seems to be willing to give quite a lot, USA said the $35M was just a beginning, and other countries will probably follow up. The EU pledged up to $30M ("if needed" ::)) as of now, and private donations meet an unprecedent success at the moment, though associations said it has to last over time to be useful.

Top Bottom