TV Series: Lost

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Lost Season 4

theblackswordman said:
You know, the final episode season 2, after the hatch implude, theres a scene with Jack and another man in a boat in antartica or something, and both speak portugese. Is that Jack or what?

I thought that there was two of him or something, when Kate, Locke and Sayid were looking for Jack and they found him playing footbal with the others. That scene was shocking, and I honestly thought that maybe he was the Jack from the boat or something.
Wow.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

:ganishka:

In his defense, that guy did look kind of like Jack, but yeah... c'mon guys, no wonder this show mesmerizes some people.

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.

Aazealh said:
You've probably gotten the hint by now, but just in case: NO.

Just confused. The first time I saw that scene, I thought he was Jack, but his accent made me wonder again if it wasnt him.
Then again, maybe it was Jack, traveling back in time to help himself blah, blah, blah :ganishka:

[quote author=Aazealh]
I even don't think they're really interested in building a city, that seems pretty much useless and completely inappropriate considering the location. Or do you think they're planning on building a resort, like in Dubai?[/quote]

The location is inappropriate, but will that really stop them? How would you expect them to live on this island, because I believe they've come to make it their home. After the Sri Lanka video (http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Sri_Lanka_Video) from The Lost Experience was released I've been theorizing about an "end of the human race" scenario were only the people who make it to this island can survive. That's why I think the Others want to stay, and that's why I think the new freighter people have come to stay as well.

[quote author=Aazealh]On a side note, who else thinks that Desmond's hypothetic father-in-law will turn out to be part of the evilest group of them all? [/quote]

I expect him to play a big role yes, same with Paik. They're probably connected to the freighter people in some way. I think the real villain might be Mrs. Hawkings though.

[quote author=Walter]I already feel the groaning coming on, since I'm betting most of the Season 4 premiere will be Jack and the others SHOCKED these guys aren't here to rescue them. WHAT?! *cue screeching violins, bellowing tubas* :isidro: [/quote]

48 more episodes means no filler or draging the show out, remember? I know you're skeptical and all but I believe... I believe.

Also, I don't think Mr. Sinister is going to be from the freighter. From the preview shots I've seen it looks like he might be either an Other or one of the 815ers who've been there all along. I'd like it if he is one of the 815ers, they've still got some unused potential there, and he melts in better than Nikki & Paulo.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
The location is inappropriate, but will that really stop them? How would you expect them to live on this island, because I believe they've come to make it their home.

But why build a huge city? Do they have a million people to house? And what about natural ressources? If they cover everything in tar, how are they going to live assuming they're planning on being in autarky?

A.C said:
I'd like it if he is one of the 815ers, they've still got some unused potential there, and he melts in better than Nikki & Paulo.

I don't know about that unused potential... Would it be credible to have had someone remarkable enough to deserve becoming a main character stay quiet in the background all along?

Griffith

Walter said:
I already feel the groaning coming on, since I'm betting most of the Season 4 premiere will be Jack and the others SHOCKED these guys aren't here to rescue them. WHAT?! *cue screeching violins, bellowing tubas* :isidro:

A.C said:
48 more episodes means no filler or draging the show out, remember? I know you're skeptical and all but I believe... I believe.

Aazealh said:
I don't know about that unused potential... Would it be credible to have had someone remarkable enough to deserve becoming a main character stay quiet in the background all along?

I think all three of you are giving the show too much credit. =)

To Wally's point, you actually think it'll progress that far so soon? I expect at least an hour of "pack your bags and say goodbye, we're going home" celebratory bullshit before anything actually happens.
If we're lucky they'll address the issue at all as the cliffhanger for next week. :troll:

The show just can't function without filler. It's 90% filler to begin with, otherwise the meaning of the revelations wouldn't be artificially heightened (OMG some other dudes live there in houses, AMAZING! :isidro:). By the same token, any bullshit can happen, I can't rule out any of these stupid theories because the show has no rules to differentiate between stupid or not, nothing is too stupid.

EvilLost.jpg

Special "Jacob" camerawork courtesy of Sam Raimi.​

It goes back to the fundamental difference between stories like Lost and Berserk I was talking about; to put even more simply, Berserk has rules, Lost doesn't.

Anyway, I sure hope the flashbacks, and more promisingly flashforwards, aren't so disappointing next season. Until the finale, they had gone from being largely useless (see season 2) to completely worthless (3). They basically became a formality last season.

Aeglos

I guess most of you know, but besides to the Season 4 Preview posted in the first post, there was also another video released (Did a quick search on the forum and found no references). It's the introductory video for a yet to be discovered Hatch, "The Orchid". It's quite old really, around 9 months:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bTvAUVPyLI

It seems that the show is indeed messing with time travel; they speak of a "shift" that was set to a certain number of minutes, thus the duped rabbits. Also the "Casimir Effect" is mentioned. A quick glance at wikipedia reveals that the Casimir effect is force between objects at the subatomical level. Bummer. The only distantly and possibly related thing I found in the wiki is this:

Morris, Thorne and Yurtsever[7] pointed out that the quantum mechanics of the Casimir effect can be used to produce a locally mass-negative region of space-time, and suggested that negative effect could be used to stabilize a wormhole to allow faster than light travel.

It'd be a mayor letdown if at the end of the show they go like "omgoxxors thereisa blackhole in the island omg!".

The video also features some one frame hidden images, a picture of some bearded guy (Jacob?), a picture of what I believe to be the U.N. building from the 70's (I have no idea really, please do correct me), and a message that reads: God loves you as he loved Jacob.

Interesting video at least, but hardly conclusive at anything. Only 11 days to go!

[quote author=Aazealh]
But why build a huge city? Do they have a million people to house? And what about natural ressources? If they cover everything in tar, how are they going to live assuming they're planning on being in autarky?[/quote]

Looking at the cityscape in the logo again, I don't think it will be that big or cover the entire island or anything. I can see them building the foundation for a smaller city, with maybe one skyscraper. Something fit a smaller community (they're probably alot bigger community than Ben's group or Dharma though) but still outrageous enough to anger Jacob and the Island like nothing before them.

[quote author=Aazealh]I don't know about that unused potential... Would it be credible to have had someone remarkable enough to deserve becoming a main character stay quiet in the background all along?
[/quote]

He has the beard to pull it off :ganishka:
If they make him a bit goofy like a background extra in the beginning and then bring him out more slowly then I don't see how it couldn't work. Infact, I thought he was just an extra in the promotional shots at first until someone pointed out the actor. He might even be
the "traitor"
that Locke mentions in the trailer. Besides, they need to do something with the rest of the 815ers. Will they just be rescued and disappear? Will they get killed off? The writers have said there were 48 survivors for a reason and that it was not because they were simply "monster-fodder". I believe the remaining 815ers will end up chosing sides, some will follow Locke/Team Island and some will follow the new guys/Team Civilization.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Looking at the cityscape in the logo again, I don't think it will be that big or cover the entire island or anything. I can see them building the foundation for a smaller city, with maybe one skyscraper.

Why the need for a skyscraper if it's a small city? It's not very logical, nor appropriate given the location.

A.C said:
If they make him a bit goofy like a background extra in the beginning and then bring him out more slowly then I don't see how it couldn't work.

The problem would be his absence for the first three seasons.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Season premiere is Thursday. Here's some dorky Lost as 24 shit to tide you all over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILPnh4mOKo

Griffith

Following up one what I said about Locke in the Rambo thread and this video...

180px-Lost_moments_jack2.jpg

"John?"

"This mission is over, John."

"They drew first blood, not me."

"Look Johnny, let me come in and get you the hell out of there!"

LockeBo.jpg

"They drew first blood..."

locke.jpg

WUUUUUAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHLT!

That was awesome! It's like the excitement of season 1 all over again! They didn't introduce us to any new, unfamiliar environment like the last two seasons which actually came as a relief, it was all about the Island, the characters, and the Flash-Forwards. Basically a continuation of the awesome season finale. Best part of the episode was the Twin Peakness of Jacob's cabin trying to summon Hurley. It didn't go as fast as I thought it would but that was okay. I'm till trying to wrap my mind around things.

Were those the same fruits in the opening shot that Walter assumed were on the Freighter? Looks like there weren't any traitor either, Locke was only talking about Juliet still. That's good, because having a traitor at this point would be dumb. Can't wait till next week!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Were those the same fruits in the opening shot that Walter assumed were on the Freighter? Looks like there weren't any traitor either, Locke was only talking about Juliet still. That's good, because having a traitor at this point would be dumb. Can't wait till next week!
Yep, this whole ep was filled with the writers shooting down internet rumors and predictions... in a pretty blatant fashion. The shot of the lemons/limes was a flash in the preview for season 4, and it ended up just being a stupid throw off, as did the line about the "traitor."

I really liked the episode though. Is it just me or was Charlie 500% cooler in death than in life? It's like it was a different actor.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Walter said:
I really liked the episode though. Is it just me or was Charlie 500% cooler in death than in life? It's like it was a different actor.

It's not just you, I thought the same thing. I wonder who's going to get left on the island and who the other Oceanic 6 (aside from Jack, Hurley and possibly Kate) are who made it off. The flashforwards to the future are refreshing. I felt the flashbacks were getting a little tiresome, especially when they strayed from the main characters.

I didn't think we'd get introduced to Jacob again so soon, either. Wonder what Locke was up to when he was hanging out in Jacob's cabin. Maybe he's found a way to communicate with him?

Griffith

Walter said:
Is it just me or was Charlie 500% cooler in death than in life? It's like it was a different actor.

It's the Tyler Durden factor. :carcus:

I enjoyed it, though it was actually kind of slow in places and I was under the impression it was going to be two hours, which really left me disappointed with the "cliffhanger" coming so soon (at least I didn't have to see any more ads for Eli Stone). Anyway, it was basically what I expected, and it wasn't overwhelming or anything. Since nobody posted about it after, I figured I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I got the impression these new guys aren't specifically a threat to the island, but that they were able to FIND the island was the real problem for Ben.

That being said, I don't have a clue why they're "lying" about who they really are.

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.

The only thing that pissed me off was that man who visited Hurley and asked him if "they" were still alive.
By the way, what sort of other interference was there anyway when the guy from the freighter called, didnt they shut of the jamming?

Nice episode, with nice flashforward.

Griffith

theblackswordman said:
The only thing that pissed me off was that man who visited Hurley and asked him if "they" were still alive.

I thought I was the expert on all things critical and negative, so what was wrong with that? ???

It was really the most intriguing thing to me (along with the revelation that possibly only six people survived and/or left the island).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:

Nah, I also liked him a lot more. Now I'm kind of wishing he comes back to life in some irrational way. =)

Rhombaad said:
I wonder who's going to get left on the island and who the other Oceanic 6 (aside from Jack, Hurley and possibly Kate) are who made it off. The flashforwards to the future are refreshing. I felt the flashbacks were getting a little tiresome, especially when they strayed from the main characters.

Yeah I also found that the flashbacks really got old even starting with season 2. It's indeed quite refreshing. As for the guys that came back, I guess we'll see the other three in the next flashbacks. It's really just a question of who could have the most fucked up life after coming back I think.

[quote author=Rhombaad]
I wonder who's going to get left on the island and who the other Oceanic 6 (aside from Jack, Hurley and possibly Kate) are who made it off.[/quote]

I'm thinking (or, at least hoping) Sun & Jin for the whole pregnancy story and maybe Claire and Aaron too. Desmond said he saw Claire getting into a helicopter (which is weird since she's now running off with Locke) probably Charlie changed the future when he wrote "NOT PENNY'S BOAT" on his hand and Claire will perhaps never get into a helicopter. Also, I have this feeling that the Freighter people are going to be looking for one specific person among the 815ers. At first I thought maybe Shannon or someone that's been killed, but now I'm thinking Aaron might be a target. If these guys coming are a kind of "Others", which I've been thinking, then I can see them coming for the only kid left with the 815ers.

[quote author=Rhombaad]Wonder what Locke was up to when he was hanging out in Jacob's cabin. Maybe he's found a way to communicate with him?[/quote]

I thought it was Locke in the cabin looking out at Hurley too at first, but then I rewatched the episode and I'm now convinced that guy was actually Jacob. In the season 3 DVD the producers point out that a close up of an eye in the cabin is actually the eye of Jacob. I noticed from the guest star list that Jack's dad was supposed to be in the episode, and after examining the figure of the guy sitting in the chair I'm convinced that is Christian Shephard's body wearing the same suit we saw in "White Rabbit"! Maybe the visions are not the Monster after all, but rather they are a form which Jacob takes to communicate with people. Maybe Jacob took both Christian and Yemi's bodies.

[quote author=Griffith No More!]Anyway, it was basically what I expected, and it wasn't overwhelming or anything. Since nobody posted about it after, I figured I wasn't the only one who felt that way.[/quote]

I did think we would get a mindblowing over-the-top intro sequence about the freighters, but in retrospect I'm glad we didn't. I think this is the perfect intro to season 4. I liked that it was serious and eerie like the first episodes of Season 1. It reminded me alot of "White Rabbit" and "Raised by Another". I think the reason no one posted about it immediately is because with LOST you need time to process the stuff you've just seen.

[quote author=Walter]I got the impression these new guys aren't specifically a threat to the island, but that they were able to FIND the island was the real problem for Ben.[/quote]

So far they don't appear to be sinister. I have a hard time believing half of the camp would go with Locke just because Charlie wrote "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand. Especially Claire who had that shocked look on her face when Locke knifed Naomi. And Desmond understood the message screaming they can't get in touch with that boat, yet he sticks with Jack's team? Danielle, Ben, Alex, Karl and even Sawyer I could see sticking with Locke though. And it was great seeing Ben be back to his witty hostage persona. He was always the best when he was "Henry Gale".

[quote author=theblackswordman]
The only thing that pissed me off was that man who visited Hurley and asked him if "they" were still alive.[/quote]

At first I thought he was going to offer Hurley a free golden pass from Oceanic Airlines :guts:

Charlie said that Hurley (and the Oceanic 6) should go back to "help" the ones left on the island. I don't think this "help" he's refering to is to rescue them, but I think the Island wants them back to fight against the people who will arrive in the next episode. I imagine we will gradually see the six people wanting to go back more and more and eventually succeeding (unless they die) because Jacob needs the Oceanic 6.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Yeah I also found that the flashbacks really got old even starting with season 2. It's indeed quite refreshing. As for the guys that came back, I guess we'll see the other three in the next flashbacks. It's really just a question of who could have the most fucked up life after coming back I think.

Yeah, season 2 is when a lot of the flashbacks started feeling obligatory rather than nessesary as part of the story or character development, and season 3... Christ. As for the Oceanic 6, we possibly already know five of them, if Walt and Michael are counted among them (not likely if Michael was smart, then again, Michael wasn't smart =).

A.C said:
Desmond said he saw Claire getting into a helicopter (which is weird since she's now running off with Locke) probably Charlie changed the future when he wrote "NOT PENNY'S BOAT" on his hand and Claire will perhaps never get into a helicopter.

Perhaps, but Hurley went with Locke, and he obviously got off the island. So we can't draw conclusions about who got off depending on who went with Jack or Locke in this episode.

A.C said:
I did think we would get a mindblowing over-the-top intro sequence about the freighters, but in retrospect I'm glad we didn't. I think this is the perfect intro to season 4. I liked that it was serious and eerie like the first episodes of Season 1. It reminded me alot of "White Rabbit" and "Raised by Another". I think the reason no one posted about it immediately is because with LOST you need time to process the stuff you've just seen.

Yes, it must take time for our brains, made out of the crude matter of our mortal flesh, to even begin to comprehend the divinity of LOST. Actually, no, that's not really what I was getting at. Other than another flashforward, there was nothing particularly special about this episode, and everyone was doing their usual shtick. It was more like a random episode from season three than anything approaching the pilot. Like I said, I enjoyed it, but it didn't exactly blow my skirt up, and I don't think they were going for that anyway. Just another episode of Lost.

A.C said:
So far they don't appear to be sinister. I have a hard time believing half of the camp would go with Locke just because Charlie wrote "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand. Especially Claire who had that shocked look on her face when Locke knifed Naomi. And Desmond understood the message screaming they can't get in touch with that boat, yet he sticks with Jack's team? Danielle, Ben, Alex, Karl and even Sawyer I could see sticking with Locke though. And it was great seeing Ben be back to his witty hostage persona. He was always the best when he was "Henry Gale".

Yeah, before he and the show jumped the shark tank. I also enjoyed Ben giving Jack the business (really, I just like Jack being made an ass of). Anyway, I'd have gone with Locke too from a basic logic standpoint; if these guy's were some sort of threat with questionable motives, possibly people operating outside the law, then best to be out of their way and hidden from them, and if they're people on the up and up, your presence on the island would be reported and you'd be rescued anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Aazealh said:
At first I thought he was going to offer Hurley a free golden pass from Oceanic Airlines :guts:

Me too, then I thought he was going to try to initiate him in his gang.

Griffith No More! said:
As for the Oceanic 6, we possibly already know five of them, if Walt and Michael are counted among them (not likely if Michael was smart, then again, Michael wasn't smart =).

I suspect Michael may have made it back home after season 2 and went underground. I don't think he's one of the Oceanic 6.

Griffith No More! said:
It was more like a random episode from season three than anything approaching the pilot.

You say that like it's a bad thing =)
I thought season 3 was awesome for the latter half starting with "The Man from Tallahassee". It may not have been another Pilot but I still think it felt more like a Season 1 episode than a Season 3 one.

Griffith

A.C said:
I suspect Michael may have made it back home after season 2 and went underground. I don't think he's one of the Oceanic 6.

That would make the most sense.

A.C said:
You say that like it's a bad thing =)
I thought season 3 was awesome for the latter half starting with "The Man from Tallahassee". It may not have been another Pilot but I still think it felt more like a Season 1 episode than a Season 3 one.

You mean the episode with the "magic box" that produces fan service and instant gratification without much thought? Well, it was good if you believe it's the destination and not the journey, it was also a good way for them to kill two birds with one stone and end two plot threads that had long ago passed the point when they should have naturally concluded. Anyway, I think it felt like a season 4 one, as in I've been watching this type of thing for 4 seasons already, so it no longer impresses me (especially after knowing what to expect for a nine month wait). Perhaps episode 2 will deliver the old feeling of surprise again.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Never seen the show but thought you guys would enjoy this IF it hasn't been posted yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MPUyuwWLcOk

It's not disgusting or anything.... honest.... I'm telling the truth..... Really I am this time. :ganishka:

Top Bottom