TV Series: Lost

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Lost Season 4

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Never seen the show but thought you guys would enjoy this IF it hasn't been posted yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MPUyuwWLcOk

I don't think there's anything that hasn't been done to, and it's still working.

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
It's not disgusting or anything.... honest.... I'm telling the truth..... Really I am this time. :ganishka:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jXzu2WQDnY

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
I suspect Michael may have made it back home after season 2 and went underground. I don't think he's one of the Oceanic 6.
Well, I don't even think he made it back home.

[quote author=http://www.tv.com/story/9944.html]
"I'm really, really excited to go back to Hawaii and hang out with my friends," said Perrineau, of getting back to work on Lost.

"We can confirm [Michael] isn't coming back just for a quick pop, he will be coming back as a series regular," said Lindelof. "We can't tell you when, but the way he does comes back is awesome." [/quote]
Based on a few interviews I've read, this one included, I think Michael may have been going in circles for a while, unable to find anything but the island. We'll see, of course.

Also, in the same interview, the creators say this season will feature flashbacks AND flashforwards. :schierke:

Griffith

I like that the guy is referring to the events of his own show as "awesome." I hope they add that blurb to the commercials for advertising of the upcoming Michael episode. Anyway, I just hope he doesn't come out of a magic box.

[quote author=Griffith No More!]
You mean the episode with the "magic box" that produces fan service and instant gratification without much thought?[/quote]

The "magic box" is a metaphor, and I'm not sure what Anthony Cooper has to do with fanservice? Obviously they had to resolve that issue, and even though most fans had already figured out that Cooper was the original Sawyer the writers still stuck to that idea. This speaks well of the writers and give hope that they won't change things simply to surprise us.

[quote author=Griffith No More!]Well, it was good if you believe it's the destination and not the journey, it was also a good way for them to kill two birds with one stone and end two plot threads that had long ago passed the point when they should have naturally concluded.[/quote]

This was the best time to conclude those plot threads I felt, since it marked the half-way point for LOST. The Others obviously kidnapped Cooper and brought him to the island once they found out all about Locke, but the writers couldn't resolve that until the Others had been properly introduced. Ben said he came for Locke in the hatch, maybe that's when they got Cooper on the island, but it wouldn't have worked to have Locke leave the hatch at that point. They had to push the button and save the world.

I think they should have made a reference to Sawyer's letter earlier in season 3 though, it felt like most people had forgotten about the letter at that point.

[quote author=Walter]Well, I don't even think he made it back home.[/quote]

I used to think he made it back because Ben gave a promise that he would find rescue and Ben always make it a point never to break a promise. Once Micheal left he might have had a run-in with the Freighter people though.

Griffith

A.C said:
The "magic box" is a metaphor, and I'm not sure what Anthony Cooper has to do with fanservice?

Whatever it was, I think they dragged those season 1 connections and "mysteries" for far too long, and then concluded them rather abruptly. Maybe there just wasn't a good way to pay off on them, but then, maybe they just shouldn't have paid off directly. I can just imagine people cheering and clapping when the evil Cooper got his for what he'd done to Sawyer and Locke. :judo:

An example of something along those lines being done more naturally was Sawyer telling Jack about his father. Imagine if they'd waited until season 3.

A.C said:
I used to think he made it back because Ben gave a promise that he would find rescue and Ben always make it a point never to break a promise. Once Micheal left he might have had a run-in with the Freighter people though.

Yeah, but Ben's also a habitual liar. Anyway, I could go with any of these possibilities, I was thinking maybe he's already with the freightor folks too, but that'd be... odd. Personally, I'd like to see him off the island, if he just pops out of the jungle again looking wild, I'll be disappointed. His whole coming back as a cast regular on the island like he never left for a season just seems retarded if you take a step back and think about it in TV show terms, "Hey guys I'm back now!" =)

Maybe he went through the same post-island depression the rest of them are going to go through. I wouldn't want to be haunted by Ana Lucia and Libby, unless it was in the shower.

Griffith No More! said:
I can just imagine people cheering and clapping when the evil Cooper got his for what he'd done to Sawyer and Locke. :judo:

I can't remember anyone cheering when that happened, not online anyway. Most people seemed to be pretty disgusted with Locke who didn't have the guts to do it himself. Sawyer had also been developing in a healthy way up until that point and having the two of them murder an elderly man was pretty horrible. It was a really good episode though, I enjoyed the acting a lot from Anthony Cooper who was at his finest. It was a shame they got rid of him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I cheered, and I was glad Cooper got what he deserved. Locke definitely acted like a coward though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
Locke definitely acted like a coward though.
See, that's definitely not how I took his choice to use Sawyer like that. Maybe I just think too highly of Locke, but I think Ben was trying to set Locke up by killing his own father. As if that in some way taints the Island's perception of Locke and would spoil whatever is in store for him. Killing fathers and general daddy issues seems to be a big theme in Lost anyway =). Maybe Im thinking a little too grand, but it really seemed to me that Ben was going out of his way to make Locke kill The Man From Tallahassee.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
See, that's definitely not how I took his choice to use Sawyer like that. Maybe I just think too highly of Locke, but I think Ben was trying to set Locke up by killing his own father.

Coldly planning the murder and tricking Sawyer into it isn't much better than killing him with his own hands though. And Locke openly admitted that he just couldn't find the strength to do it himself. As for Ben, I also think he was trying to undermine Locke, but if I remember well in the episodes it seemed to be an effort more to keep him out of the Others' group and to avoid taking him to Jacob, because he knew Locke wouldn't be able to kill his father.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

So... why exactly did he have to die? Another mystery of LOST to be revealed in 3 seasons? :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
So... why exactly did he have to die? Another mystery of LOST to be revealed in 3 seasons? :schierke:

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure we'll never be told any reason. Do you think we'll ever see the mystery box too? And what about the giant statue's foot Sayid and the Koreans saw while on the boat? Four toes?! :isidro: Guess the writers forgot about that one.

Griffith

It's because it's a Festivus tradition, "C'mon George, be a man and fight your father!"

Anyway, I'm in the Wally camp, I'm not going to deduct too many points from Locke for not murdering his own father, I don't really look at Locke as lacking the guts, but the conviction (he wasted Naomi pretty readily when he believed he needed to =). Plus, I thought it was only fitting and right that Sawyer get the kill, and that Locke give it to him with his blessing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, I'm in the Wally camp, I'm not going to deduct too many points from Locke for not murdering his own father, I don't really look at Locke as lacking the guts, but the conviction (he wasted Naomi pretty readily when he believed he needed to =). Plus, I thought it was only fitting and right that Sawyer get the kill, and that Locke give it to him with his blessing.

Well, he went through a lot of efforts to have him killed by Sawyer, so I'm not sure about a lack of conviction since in the end he was killed anyway. But I agree that it was fitting for Sawyer to do the deed. It was a good moment and it would have only been better had it happened earlier and with less flashbacks beforehand.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Well, he went through a lot of efforts to have him killed by Sawyer, so I'm not sure about a lack of conviction since in the end he was killed anyway. But I agree that it was fitting for Sawyer to do the deed. It was a good moment and it would have only been better had it happened earlier and with less flashbacks beforehand.

It's sort of a catch 22, because he is responsible for killing his father, he just used Sawyer as the tool. I don't think he had the conviction to do it with his own hands though, he just didn't feel that way about it, but he knew that he deserved to die and didn't mind making it happen, obviously.

But hey, wait, don't bad mouth those flashbacks, didn't we absolutely need to see Locke on the weed farm!? Actually, it totally supports your case that he's a weenie. =)

Yeah, those retardedly random flashbacks ruined it. By the time they revealed how he couldn't walk, I didn't care anymore.
It was a disappointment no matter what at that point, because they totally blew the chance for surprise. In his other eps, you were just waiting for it, they teased, but nothing. Then in the commercial, "THE JOHN LOCKE STORY YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!"

Yeah, I was, for too long, so I stopped caring about it a year previously.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
But hey, wait, don't bad mouth those flashbacks, didn't we absolutely need to see Locke on the weed farm!? Actually, it totally supports your case that he's a weenie. =)
Ugh, I forgot about that weed farm. Also, "DONT TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, those retardedly random flashbacks ruined it. By the time they revealed how he couldn't walk, I didn't care anymore.

So you mean you didn't like how his old man could push him through a 2 inches thick building window made of unbreakable glass? I found it interesting to learn that Anthony Cooper had Super Strength.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
So you mean you didn't like how his old man could push him through a 2 inches thick building window made of unbreakable glass? I found it interesting to learn that Anthony Cooper had Super Strength.
Don't question the methods of a professional con man. He conned the owner of the building into installing the kind of glass Hollywood uses for action sequences. Sawyer has a lot to learn about conning.

Griffith

Point taken, I said it would have been disappointing no matter what, but that's not true. The reality is what happened was just disappointing. =)

Griffith No More! said:
didn't we absolutely need to see Locke on the weed farm!?

Well that flashback showed that Locke couldn't kill, and possibly how Ben could be aware of that. The impact of him killing Naomi wouldn't be as strong if it weren't for that flashback.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Well that flashback showed that Locke couldn't kill, and possibly how Ben could be aware of that. The impact of him killing Naomi wouldn't be as strong if it weren't for that flashback.
But that "impact" was dampened by the fact that she wasn't dead. She died later of blood loss after falling on Kate from a tree like in Snake Eater.

And I still to this day fail to see why Locke killing his father on a ritualistic stone in front of the Others would have won some sort of popularity contest for him.

"What's wrong, chicken? Won't slaughter your dad who's tied prostrate to a rock? Huh? Come on, wuss. WUSS!"
"What a loser..."
"I thought you were someone ... but I guess I was wrong."

I was as confused as Kate watching Jack (Jack's clone?!?) spike the football with Tom.

Griffith

Oh please, this really must stop, that weed farm bullshit was a random filler John Locke adventure in support of an entire filler episode (at least it turned out to be). Filler background in support of the filler main plot of John finding the fortitude to look for the soon to be meaningless Mr. Eko. It doesn't add or subtract from what Ben did or didn't know about John or why, and as for the Naomi scene, by the same argument, it contradicts it as much as it gives it "impact." As for that scene, as it is, on a serious impact scale, it registers about a 0.1. The biggest impact it had was on the unintentional comedy scale for how over the top it was. While it was the coolest thing Locke did in that episode, it was straight out of B movie.

"It's diali... UURRRP" *spit fake blood* OMG KNIFE IN THE BACK! :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:

Granted, Locke's a fag. Here's what he should be like:

Locke_badass.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
In the whole series?
Are we dissing Locke all around now just because he WONT rip someone's throat out? Im sorry but this is where I draw the line in the sand. You either go with Jacky-poo to get "rescued" or come live in the BARRACKS with ME. Now who's with me?

PS: And the coolest thing he did in the whole series was the dlelivery of this line:

"Im not here for Jack ... Im here for the SUBMARINE."

And then the subsequent explosion of it. That's the John Locke I know and love.. Only in my version, he doesn't turn himself in. He rips.... OK, point taken.

Top Bottom