TV Series: Lost

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Spoilers for Seasons 1-6 abound.

Spoiler tag all posts pertaining to NEW episodes. Tag-free posts are fair game once the NEXT new episode has aired.

I just realized there wasn't a LOST thread, even though discussions for the show have carried over into a number of threads, namely the Heroes thread.

Anyway, Season 4 is set to air 8 episodes beginning January 31. Only 8 episodes were written prior to the strike, from what I read, so that's what the actors have to work with. The creator of the show has already said it will be an anticlimactic ending because of the stunted material, so we can all expect an even BIGGER cock tease from the show that lives to tease us with cliffhangers and unanswered questions.

Here's the promo for the season, with plenty of SPOILERIFIC clips from upcoming episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJY3Kx0E8ZM

Check out the new logo at the very end of the clip. Notice anything below the text, such as the hovering cityscape? My guess is this is a hint to expect half the flashbacks to be flashforwards of characters who made it off the island, as we saw throughout the final episode in Season 3.

What do you guys make of it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Lost Season 4

I'm at work so I haven't watched the trailer, and I'm not sure I'll watch it anyway since I'm a spoiler hater, but I'm pretty sure we're going to see a lot of the stuff the writers originally denied was there. Time travel, life after death (isn't that one a given already?), all that shit. I'm really just waiting for aliens now.

Wow, it took you this long to start a LOST thread? I was searching for one but didn't find any so I didn't think you guys were Lost fans. I have been waiting for this season to begin, a shame about the 8 episode season though.

As for the new logo with the hovering cityscape, it probably refers to flashforwards although I've had a theory for some time that the new boat people who are coming will take over the island and build a massive Las Vegas like city on it in the future :guts:

[quote author=Aazealh]
I'm at work so I haven't watched the trailer, and I'm not sure I'll watch it anyway since I'm a spoiler hater, but I'm pretty sure we're going to see a lot of the stuff the writers originally denied was there. Time travel, life after death (isn't that one a given already?), all that shit. I'm really just waiting for aliens now.
[/quote]

The writers denied life after death? I thought they only denied "purgatory". btw there is a new Alternate Reality Game called "Find 815", with the game's main protagonist (Sam Thomas, an IT technician for Oceanic Airlines who is disgruntled by the company's decision to stop searching for Flight 815) having been contacted by a mysterious individual or group, hinting that they may have the answers to what he seeks - what happened to Flight 815 and his girlfriend, Sonya.

quote:
The game is expected to end at the end of January 2008, coinciding with the Lost Season 4 premiere. Until then, fans can enjoy a tale which promises interesting revelations in the show's mythology.

Also, check out the mobisodes if you haven't. Some of them are rather silly but there has been at least two really cool ones with Ben/Jack and Walt/Room 23 flashbacks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
As for the new logo with the hovering cityscape, it probably refers to flashforwards although I've had a theory for some time that the new boat people who are coming will take over the island and build a massive Las Vegas like city on it in the future :guts:
Hey, I can see that. Kind of like a supernatural Jurassic Park :chomp: (I'd need a smoke monster emote for this to really make sense. Oh well).

:carcus: "Rescuing you isn't really isn't one of our primary objectives."
:isidro: "Then what is?!"
:carcus: "Jacob's Wacky Waterpark"

there is a new Alternate Reality Game called "Find 815", with the game's main protagonist (Sam Thomas, an IT technician for Oceanic Airlines who is disgruntled by the company's decision to stop searching for Flight 815) having been contacted by a mysterious individual or group, hinting that they may have the answers to what he seeks - what happened to Flight 815 and his girlfriend, Sonya
The game is expected to end at the end of January 2008, coinciding with the Lost Season 4 premiere. Until then, fans can enjoy a tale which promises interesting revelations in the show's mythology.
Huh? What kind of game are you referring to anyway? Video game/board game/ god forbid a pen and paper game (ugh, jesus no). Details please.

PS: Michael's back. "WAAAALT?! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLT! That's my SON, MY SON!!!!!!!!"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
PS: Michael's back. "WAAAALT?! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLT! That's my SON, MY SON!!!!!!!!"

What we've all been waiting for since the end of season 2.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
What we've all been waiting for since the end of season 2.
Yeah... just in reading fan response to his return on different forums, I'm really surprised at the welcome praise he's getting. He just became the most obnoxious character throughout season 2 after Walt was kidnapped. Now that they're together again (I assume they still are), maybe he'll lighten up and stop pulling a Deus Ex Machina, shooting people because Ben tells him to.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
He just became the most obnoxious character throughout season 2 after Walt was kidnapped. Now that they're together again (I assume they still are), maybe he'll lighten up and stop pulling a Deus Ex Machina, shooting people because Ben tells him to.

Well, the thing is, even if he's become the nicest guy ever now, I can never forgive the bullshit he's pulled out in the past.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
Well, the thing is, even if he's become the nicest guy ever now, I can never forgive the bullshit he's pulled out in the past.
He only shot those people because they were caught drunk and partying off-camera, those monsters. Poor Michael was only executing the will of the producers :judo:

I kind of wish Eko had clubbed this guy's brains out following that incident. Would have been more climactic than what actually happened.

"You shall pay for your sins in grey matter! So says my wild African SUPER-STRENGTH! FUNGAH!" (Man, I miss Eko.)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Walter said:
I kind of wish Eko had clubbed this guy's brains out following that incident. Would have been more climactic than what actually happened.

"You shall pay for your sins in grey matter! So says my wild African SUPER-STRENGTH! FUNGAH!" (Man, I miss Eko.)

I miss Eko and his Christ Club... :judo:

[quote author=Aazealh]
They denied a ton of stuff over the past 3 seasons.
[/quote]

I hear that alot, but ever since I've been keeping track (around the beginning of season 3) I have yet to hear them deny much of anything other than purgatory and alternate realities.

[quote author=Walter]
Huh? What kind of game are you referring to anyway? Video game/board game/ god forbid a pen and paper game (ugh, jesus no). Details please.
[/quote]

It's online/website based.

It began with Oceanic Airlines announcing its return to the airways in an ABC press release. It was announced that Oceanic would be returning to business on December 31st and thus a new site (http://www.flyoceanicair.com/) was created. This was the intro before the game started. Soon the website featured a hacked video which lead to another site (http://find815.com/) and the game was on.

The key sites so far for this game are:

http://www.flyoceanicair.com/ - The first site found
http://www.find815.com - This is the main game site and should be the one you use.
The Maxwell-Group - New site which requires Username/Password which players are waiting on.

I'm not participating in this game myself, I've only been keeping up with the revealed info at http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Find_815.
Lostpedia is great for info on Lost.

[quote author=Walter]I'm really surprised at the welcome praise he's getting. He just became the most obnoxious character throughout season 2 after Walt was kidnapped. Now that they're together again (I assume they still are), maybe he'll lighten up and stop pulling a Deus Ex Machina, shooting people because Ben tells him to.[/quote]

Nobody told him to shot people, Michael made the difficult choice of chosing his son over his fellow castaways. I agree that the whole "They took my son" thing became annoying but he ran off so suddenly and I've been waiting for his return, I always suspected he would come back. Apparently he is supposed to be a very different person this season and I'd like to know what happened to him.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Nobody told him to shot people, Michael made the difficult choice of chosing his son over his fellow castaways. I agree that the whole "They took my son" thing became annoying but he ran off so suddenly and I've been waiting for his return, I always suspected he would come back. Apparently he is supposed to be a very different person this season and I'd like to know what happened to him.
Ah, I did get that part wrong. Just remembered it badly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
I hear that alot, but ever since I've been keeping track (around the beginning of season 3) I have yet to hear them deny much of anything other than purgatory and alternate realities.

Well, what can I tell you, maybe you should have started keeping track earlier. In any case, the idea of purgatory in itself is rather close to what they seem to be experiencing on the island now, so even just that statement is already more than dubious. Same with having people dead somewhere and alive elsewhere, that's not too far from the concept of alternate realities mingling with each others.

A.C said:

I hope his son either disowned him or died. That'd teach him. Hopefully he dies early in the season (and painfully). I'm a real fan of this guy. =)

Aazealh said:
Well, what can I tell you, maybe you should have started keeping track earlier.

Alright, I'm going to look around for some old quotes and see if I can find anything about that.

Aazealh said:
In any case, the idea of purgatory in itself is rather close to what they seem to be experiencing on the island now, so even just that statement is already more than dubious.

Nah, they're just messing with us. The fact that some characters (Cooper) think they're dead makes it pretty obvious they're not. Same thing when Juliet's joking about building a runway for aliens.

Aazealh said:
Same with having people dead somewhere and alive elsewhere, that's not too far from the concept of alternate realities mingling with each others.

Yes, but again I doubt there actually are dead bodies of the castaways in the outside world. I think it was all staged by the boat people.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Yes, but again I doubt there actually are dead bodies of the castaways in the outside world. I think it was all staged by the boat people.

That's what I thought too, but you never know. Jack kept talking about how they shouldn't be there and such in the last episode, I wonder if he didn't even say that they shouldn't be alive, so...

Nope, Jack didn't say that they shouldn't be alive or anything like that, only that they weren't "supposed to leave" the island. And it's not like people have to die to end up there.

There's even been a fan rumour going around that the intro to season 4 will be a flashback to when Oceanic 815 crashed but this time we'll see it crash in the ocean and get shots of dead bodies of familiar people. I don't buy this rumour though, infact I think the reason the Producers denied multiple realities is because the fan discussions were going silly places. I've found the show to be much more straightforward than that and I can only read so many crazy sci-fi fan theories before I get fed up with it. Personally I see this show leading up to an apocalyptic battle between good and evil on this island with the Castaways ending up in the middle of it.

And you are right, Damon did say there wasn't any "Time Travel or Spaceships" going on in the show back in January 2005 but at that time he was right, there wasn't any Time Travel.

quote:
"We're still trying to be ... firmly ensconced in the world of science fact."
"I don't think we've shown anything on the show yet ... that has no rational explanation in the real world that we all function within. We certainly hint at psychic phenomena, happenstance and ... things being in a place where they probably shouldn't be. But nothing is flat-out impossible. There are no spaceships. There isn't any time travel."

Notice how he says they haven't shown anything like that yet. He didn't say there never will be.
Also, we cannot be sure that Desmond actually did travel back to 1996. It could have been a simulation in his mind brought about by the forces of the island.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Nope, Jack didn't say that they shouldn't be alive or anything like that, only that they weren't "supposed to leave" the island.

Ok. I can't really remember and I'm too lazy to bother checking it out, so I'll take your word for it. :serpico: In any case, the question of whether the bodies were fakes or not is still up in the air.

A.C said:
There's even been a fan rumour going around that the intro to season 4 will be a flashback to when Oceanic 815 crashed but this time we'll see it crash in the ocean and get shots of dead bodies of familiar people. I don't buy this rumour though, infact I think the reason the Producers denied multiple realities is because the fan discussions were going silly places. I've found the show to be much more straightforward than that and I can only read so many crazy sci-fi fan theories before I get fed up with it. Personally I see this show leading up to an apocalyptic battle between good and evil on this island with the Castaways ending up in the middle of it.

Hahaha, it's a bit funny how you discard other theories as crazy and silly, then proceed to give your own crazy theory. =) Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying it won't happen or anything, but the way you're saying this (as if your idea were more reasonable) is amusing.

A.C said:
And you are right, Damon did say there wasn't any "Time Travel or Spaceships" going on in the show back in January 2005 but at that time he was right, there wasn't any Time Travel.

So you're saying they write the show as the weeks go by and don't have a real idea of where it's going? :guts:

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, it's a bit funny how you discard other theories as crazy and silly, then proceed to give your own crazy theory. =) Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying it won't happen or anything, but the way you're saying this (as if your idea were more reasonable) is amusing.

My theories are crazy, and probably way off. But I wanted to throw a different theory out there. :void:

Aazealh said:
So you're saying they write the show as the weeks go by and don't have a real idea of where it's going? :guts:

I think they have had a real idea of where it's going since the beginning. I was re-watching Season 1 and 2 not too long ago and noticed how the continuity was consistent right from the beginning, and like any show it is also flexible to some changes. Now Desmond is a relatively new character and they needed to get Charlie into that underwater station to sacrifice himself, and I do think they had planned to let Charlie die sacrificing himself from the moment the character was conceived by the Writers. On the Season 3 DVD there is an extra called the Lost Book Club where Damon says that many characters were inspired by the characters in Stephen King's "The Stand". they specifically use Charlie as an example, saying he was based on Larry Underwood. In the novel, the character Larry Underwood is a "one hit" singer, who falls in debt to a drug dealer. Later he quits drugs and begins romantical relationships with a woman called Lucy and much like Charlie's fate is to sacrifice himself for the sake of the other survivors' survival so must Larry.

I also thought it was cool how in Charlie's season 2 flashback episode Charlie has a dream where his mother says "One day you will take us all away from here." which is what Charlie believed he was doing for Claire and the Castaways at the end of season 3. An easter egg perhaps? So to give Desmond an interesting arc on the show they give him visions which appears to be flashes of the future. I actually don't think these flashes are a real gift though, I think Desmond was being manipulated by a force to make way for the boat people to arrive on the island. Notice how if it wasn't for Des and his flashes they never would have saved Naomi and they wouldn't have shut off the Looking glass' jamming equipment? Also notice how Desmond's flashes mysteriously stopped when that was accomplished...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

IGN recently did an interview with Michael Emerson, AKA BEN of Lost. (source: http://tv.ign.com/articles/844/844337p1.html)

[quote author=IGN]
Emerson was initially signed to only appear in a handful of Lost episodes. But very quickly Emerson's performance as the character Benjamin Linus – don't let that Henry Gale alias fool you – proved to be incredibly dynamic and engrossing, making him someone the audience was immediately intrigued by. As a result, Emerson found himself elevated to a lead role in Season 3, with Ben quickly becoming central to much of the action and back story on the series.
[/quote]
This doesn't really say much for the writers' credibility in having a continuity of events and characters.

This is the only section of interest for Season 4 teases:
Emerson: The first part of this season we were filming a lot in the jungle, tramping around in rain and heat and blood and violence. It's been so violent so far, the first part of the season, I can't tell you…

IGN TV: Wow, even more so than the beginning of last season when you were holding Jack, Kate and Sawyer prisoner?
Emerson: I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think this is as violent as we've gotten. [Laughs] For awhile there, it just seemed like it was all guns and beatings. Very intense.

By the way, did anyone else know that LOCKE scored an Emmy for his performance in Season 3? Way to go Locke. You're really the only reason I keep watching this damned show.

Video of his award acceptance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFfpJInve4

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Terry has himself a whole lotta woman there, what a man. Funny speech too, I think he basically is John Locke, except for the lame moments (like all of season 2).

Anyway, I haven't posted because most discussion of this show just causes me to hate it. I hate this thread, and every post in it, this one included, and I hate LOST because of it.

So uh, when's it start again, the 31st... ? =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
This doesn't really say much for the writers' credibility in having a continuity of events and characters.

Yeah, and what to say about Eko's sudden death because the actor felt like leaving the show. I'd expect the production to enforce some sort of contract so that they didn't have to change whole parts of the plot as a result.

Walter said:
This is the only section of interest for Season 4 teases

Sounds good to me. =)

Walter said:
By the way, did anyone else know that LOCKE scored an Emmy for his performance in Season 3? Way to go Locke. You're really the only reason I keep watching this damned show.

Awesome, and well deserved. All the guys I know that watch Lost do it for Locke. He's the reason I got interested in it (and keep watching) as well.

Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, I haven't posted because most discussion of this show just causes me to hate it. I hate this thread, and every post in it, this one included, and I hate LOST because of it.

Hahaha, to be honest I don't really enjoy extensively discussing the show either. Whenever I get into details all I can think of are its defaults.

[quote author=Walter]
IGN recently did an interview with Michael Emerson, AKA BEN of Lost. (source: http://tv.ign.com/articles/844/844337p1.html)
[/quote]

Actually, the writers said they had the possibility of "Henry Gale" being Ben in mind all along when they cast the role, but they decided to hire an actor for only a three episode arc in case it didn't work out. Ben would always have been central to Season 3, it's just that it would have been a different actor if Emerson hadn't worked out and "Henry" would have been dismissed as a lower ranked Other.

[quote author=Aazealh]Yeah, and what to say about Eko's sudden death because the actor felt like leaving the show. I'd expect the production to enforce some sort of contract so that they didn't have to change whole parts of the plot as a result.[/quote]

You're mistaken again. Adewale only signed on for a year, just like Michelle Rodriguez (Ana-Lucia). They actually managed to extend his role on Lost for the beginning of Season 3 just to have his death not be too close to Ana's.

[quote author=Walter]
By the way, did anyone else know that LOCKE scored an Emmy for his performance in Season 3?
[/quote]

I've known for some time, and yes he's one of the best things on the show along with Michael Emerson.

Meh, you guys aren't interested then I'm not going to bother discussing it. I will defend this show 'till the end though :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

It's not that I'm not interested, I'm just in the same boat with Aaz, I turn my brain off to enjoy Lost, because if I think about it, my brain starts hurting.

As you can tell by my writing at the moment, it's obviously hurting right now. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
You're mistaken again. Adewale only signed on for a year, just like Michelle Rodriguez (Ana-Lucia). They actually managed to extend his role on Lost for the beginning of Season 3 just to have his death not be too close to Ana's.

No I'm not, and I wasn't mistaken before, so there's no "again". It's pretty clear to me that nothing was prepared for his death, so it came rather abruptly and wasn't particularly relevant to the rest, nor very good. If they knew his contract was to end, they should have inquired earlier about it and prepared themselves for his departure. By "contract" I didn't mean any contract but one that would have ensured the actor would stay for as long as his character was supposed to be on air. At least Ana-Lucia's death was written in much more smoothly. The point remains that the writers are sloppy in many ways.

A.C said:
Meh, you guys aren't interested then I'm not going to bother discussing it. I will defend this show 'till the end though :guts:

Yeah, that's pretty much why we didn't make a thread before. It's cool that you're such a fan of the show, but as you can see we're more critical of it in general. In the end though, we're still all watching it.

Top Bottom