TV Series: Lost

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Lost Season 4

Walter said:
All the LOST discussion here caused a fever dream in me aided by cold medication. Overnight I dreamed I'd bought Lost Seasons 1-3 on DVD.

When I woke up today to check my bank account, I HAD BOUGHT THEM. Fuck you amazon one-click purchase...

Hahaha, truly a nightmare!

Walter said:
PS: Season 3's on sale at bestbuy.com for $30. So much for that deal. Maybe someone else here can take advantage of it.

Did you get insta-shipping or something and can't change/cancel the order?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
Hahaha, truly a nightmare!
Did you get insta-shipping or something and can't change/cancel the order?
Well, now that I've bought them, I kinda want them :guts: It's been a long time since I saw season 2, and I missed about 6 episodes of Season 1.

I'm really hoping time apart will improve my opinion of Season 2. But somehow... I doubt it. I remember the parts that I enjoyed were infinitely overshadowed by the parts I groaned audibly through, which is pretty much par for the course with this show.

To its credit, Lost interests me far more than any other show on television right now. Again, that's really not saying too much. But I tried watching Heroes and... I just couldn't. And 24 was a huge let down last season.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Griffith No More! said:
I mean so you can get the season 3 deal though.
That would delay the inevitible pain and frustration after it ships and arrives on my doorstep by approximately 1 day. I will not repent. I need it now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
To its credit, Lost interests me far more than any other shows on television right now. Again, that's really not saying too much. But I tried watching Heroes and... I just couldn't. And 24 was a huge let down last season.

Well there's always good old NCIS! :void: Anyway, it's the same for me, Lost is the only TV series of its kind I'm interested in. In itself that already speaks volumes about its quality.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless

Same for me, Six Feet Under was amazing, the first season of 24 too. I wished i had the time to see more of Sopranos.

I've never seen Six Feet Under. Is it any good?
I remember enjoying Sopranos, at least the few episodes I managed to catch years ago. I need to watch it from the beginning sometime and see if I still like it.

I watched the first 4 episodes of 24 on DVD but I couldn't get into it. Too much action, not enough chat and characterization. I'm not a big fan of car-chases and big explosions. A friend let me borrow his Prison Break DVD and I enjoyed that show much more.

Griffith No More! said:
P.S. A.C, wasn't that coffin a little small for Michael?

I dunno. Is it?
I'm just looking at it logically.
1. It can't be Ben because Jack seemed surprised that nobody showed up. Jack wouldn't have been surprised if he was going to Ben's funeral considering he blew up his friends and followers on the island.
2. The newspaper clip said the dead person left a teenage son.
3. It was a black neighborhood.
Which is why I'm thinking it is Michael or one of the redshirts.

Griffith

Didn't see the thing about the teenage son, certainly swings it toward Michael, though it could be to double fool us! And that sounds like something they'd research on a site like thetailsection, hyper zooming in on screen caps of the article. =)

Anyway, I wouldn't say Jack was "surprised nobody showed up." Didn't he just say something to Kate like he thought she might go? Also, while it appears to be a black neighborhood, it's also Los Angeles, which could mean it's just a diverse neighborhood (heh), and would at least mean that Michael moved from NY, to where a good portion of people who would know about his crime, should they ever make it back, lived. Which actually makes sense, considering he was pretty stupid. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I thought the most telling clue to the identity was when Jack asked Kate why she didn't go, and she responded half-angrily: "Why would I go to the funeral?"

Anyway, there's no way we can know who it was yet. It was done so obliquely it's not possible even with the almighty TiVo! Which, I thought was really retarded, like much of the arbitrary suspense built by this show. Instead of just letting the audience know who it was and experiencing their death and Jack's reaction to their funeral genuinely, we likely won't know until the final episode of Season 4 and by then won't care. Smooth.

Someone from the production team actually uploaded the obituary so anyone could read it a few weeks after the final episode aired. I tried finding it again on Lostpedia but apparently they are unaware of it. Too bad I didn't save it when I saw it.

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Obituary

Anyway, the only thing of interest missing from that TiVo deciphering is that the full name is "John Lantham" and the obituary ends saying he left a teenage son.

Also, I wasn't kidding when I said I think the boat people will build a city on the island. I think the reason the Hostiles purged Dharma was because they intended to build roads and shit. The island/Jacob could not have been happy about that. This time I see Locke (and whoever is going to end up on Team Island) be forced to try and do the same thing when the boat people starts building a city. That's how I interpret the new logo with the island/mirrored cityscape. It'll come down to technology/civilization versus the island and it's forces. I can see the show ending with the volcano destroying this city.

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.

Lost is one of my favorite tv shows; also, Prison Break, 24, The Unit, and the old canceled Vengeance Unlimited.

By the way, I have only downloaded Lost, but want to buy them all 3 in bluray, and Ive heard that only season 3 is available in bluray.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

theblackswordman said:
By the way, I have only downloaded Lost, but want to buy them all 3 in bluray, and Ive heard that only season 3 is available in bluray.

You heard correctly, but I'm sure the first two seasons will eventually make their way onto Blu-ray, maybe even sometime this year.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

A.C said:
Also, I wasn't kidding when I said I think the boat people will build a city on the island. I think the reason the Hostiles purged Dharma was because they intended to build roads and shit.
So, let me get this straight. New people are coming to the island with THE EXPRESS PURPOSE of building a city? Sorry, not buying it. How would that benefit them, exactly? The little village the Others had was pretty damned advanced (refrigerators and whatnot). WHat would these guys have differently? How about building skyscrapers, like in the logo's reflection! Yeah..! Wait... What?

These guys probably want whatever the island's many security features are keeping from the rest of the world.

Rhombaad said:
but I'm sure the first two seasons will eventually make their way onto Blu-ray, maybe even sometime this year.
Yeah but don't buy it yet. Wait for the Complete Super Blu-Ray HD Lost Experience with Season 1-6 and added commentaries and special edition Dharma Brand Box including the behind the scenes featurette: "You Watched The Whole Thing? Jesus."

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.

Rhombaad said:
You heard correctly, but I'm sure the first two seasons will eventually make their way onto Blu-ray, maybe even sometime this year.

My God, I wanna watch them all in full hd.
I also heard that 24 will be available on bluray.. It sucks, man, I have them all on dvd.
Ive just recently installed projector with 106 inch canvastv at my dads place, so Im new to full hd.

Walter said:
Yeah but don't buy it yet. Wait for the Complete Super Blu-Ray HD Lost Experience with Season 1-6 and added commentaries and special edition Dharma Brand Box including the behind the scenes featurette: "You Watched The Whole Thing? Jesus."

Then Ill probably have to wait untill 2011/2012

Griffith

Walter said:

Hahaha, at this point in DVD history I'm even dubious of the first special edition box set, always better to wait for the second one. :schierke:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

Griffith No More! said:
Hahaha, at this point in DVD history I'm even dubious of the first special edition box set, always better to wait for the second one. :schierke:

No kidding...then HD DVD came along and made things even more complicated...  I used to go for the regular special editions, rather than the huge gift packs with tons of stuff I have no room for. Now I'm only buying HD DVDs.

[quote author=Aazealh]
Incorrect use of the term! :troll:

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Redshirt
[/quote]

Ah yes. I should have said Michael or a Redshirt. :guts:

Incidentally, I found the full obituary text in the theories section. The reason it's not on Lostpedia's obituary page is because the clipping leaked from unofficial sources. I saw the actual scanned clipping though so I believe it's real:

The body of John Lantham of New York was found shortly after 4 am in the 4300 block of Grand Avenue. Ted Worden, a doorman at the Tower Lofts complex, heard loud noises coming from the victim's loft. Concerned for tenants' safety, he entered the loft and found the body hanging from a beam in the living room. According to Jaime Ortiz, a police spokesman, the incident was deemed a suicide after medical tests. Latham (sic) is survived by one teenaged son. Memorial services will be held at the Hoffs-Drawlar Funeral Home tomorrow evening.

[quote author=Walter]So, let me get this straight. New people are coming to the island with THE EXPRESS PURPOSE of building a city?[/quote]

Well, maybe not with the express purpose but yeah. I think that's what might happen. I don't disagree that they want the island's security features but I also believe they want the island for many of the same reasons as Ben's group. Because the place is special. Infact, I think the guys coming are another faction of Others who have come for the island. Probably they have their own lists too, and while Ben's faction favored people like Locke, these guys probably favor people like Shannon and I think they have no interest in living like Locke and Jacob or even Dharma on this island. These guys are likely heavily attracted to technology (even Sayid hadn't seen equippment as sophisticated as that phone) and I think they want to make a home for themselves on the island but with all the comforts the very best civilization has to offer. So, yes, I'm thinking skyscrapers, like in the logo's reflection.

These are the bad guys :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I can't say I agree with your speculation, A.C. I doubt those guys will have a list and would favor people like Shannon or anything. I even don't think they're really interested in building a city, that seems pretty much useless and completely inappropriate considering the location. Or do you think they're planning on building a resort, like in Dubai?

To me, they just want to take all they can from the island and exploit its incredible riches/properties to their advantage (in a good old "evil corporation" way). What this means in detail isn't known yet. Honestly, I don't think Ben's a good person, in spite of what he's been saying. And I don't think the new people will be good either. The real good guys are Locke and Jack and their buddies. :guts:

On a side note, who else thinks that Desmond's hypothetic father-in-law will turn out to be part of the evilest group of them all? Ever since the first time we saw him I had that feeling, like how I always thought Locke's father would turn out to be the real "Sawyer".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Aazealh said:
On a side note, who else thinks that Desmond's hypothetic father-in-law will turn out to be part of the evilest group of them all? Ever since the first time we saw him I had that feeling, like how I always thought Locke's father would turn out to be the real "Sawyer".
I could buy that. Perhaps that's why Penny was searching for Desmond so desperately (in addition to being in rabu-rabu with him), to get to him before her father's men did. She seemed to know where to have her men looking at the end of season 2.

Anyway, these new guys appear to have been out at sea for a long while. One of the clips in the preview section of ABC's website shows a pile of lemons/limes, full of citrus that keeps away sea-sickness. Well, that's just what I made of that clip anyway =). And though this isn't exactly a groundbreaking idea (Im pretty sure most people are thinking the same), I think they've probably been looking for the island for a long time, and Jack just gave them a pinpoint location to head towards. Smooth move, doc.

lost_l.jpg

Since we're talking so much about these new guys,
here's a pic from ABC with most of the new cast.
Nice and awkward looking shots. Great.

I already feel the groaning coming on, since I'm betting most of the Season 4 premiere will be Jack and the others SHOCKED these guys aren't here to rescue them. WHAT?! *cue screeching violins, bellowing tubas* :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Hmm yeah, most of them have weird faces in these shots. And I also think they've been looking for the island for a long time.

Griffith

Walter said:

lost_l.jpg

Since we're talking so much about these new guys,
here's a pic from ABC with most of the new cast.
Nice and awkward looking shots. Great.

What a murderer's row, at the helm we've got William Turner, revived Seung-Hui Cho, Slut of Dracula, Kevin Garnett, and Andy Dufresne! Well, they all certainly look scary in their own ways, except William Turner, and these are just red-carpet type photos. The asian guy looks familiar as Hell, wasn't he Uncle June's crazy buddy on Soprano's last season? I think I've seen him elsewhere too...

xman.jpg

Oh yeah, he was sea urchin man from X-Men 3. Speaking of which...

sinister.jpg

Mr. Sinister!​

Griffith

Fucking Christ, Tom is back, "Give us the boy." Kind of looks like a bearded Daniel Day Lewis there too, which is a plus, but I do know someone who can fuck with that beard:

mel4.jpg

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.

You know, the final episode season 2, after the hatch implude, theres a scene with Jack and another man in a boat in antartica or something, and both speak portugese. Is that Jack or what?

I thought that there was two of him or something, when Kate, Locke and Sayid were looking for Jack and they found him playing footbal with the others. That scene was shocking, and I honestly thought that maybe he was the Jack from the boat or something.

Top Bottom