TV Series: Lost

Walter said:
there were a few of those that were answered -- just not very well.
Then again, it's not exhaustive either...
How did Eloise knew where Desmond would want to buy a ring for Penny, or that the guy with the red shoes would die?
What was up with the test Richard had young Locke pass? Was he assuming he would recognize the compass as being his? Why?
Why did Pierre Chang use aliases in the different Orientation videos?
Why did he have both arms in a 1980 video for the Pearl, explaining how the workers would have to observe what's going in the Swan station, when we've been told he lost an arm during the 1977 incident before the Swan station was even built?
Why did the DHARMA Initiative bother with the Pearl and Room 23? What did those have to do with the island and its strange properties/powers?
Why did the DHARMA Initiative let two guys handle the Swan station ever since the Purge if the fate of the world was at stake? Why didn't they ever come back?
What stopped Widmore from going back to the island if he had the address of Eloise's station right there on his desk?
What was the "loophole" that the Man in Black used to kill Jacob, and that he supposedly discovered sometime after trying to have Richard do the deed?
Who killed the other passengers of the Ajira flight?
etc.

X

Xem

I don't know what's wrong with me, but the "Hurley bird" is my biggest annoyance with the mysteries. I sit back and wonder what the creators could've possibly been thinking when they created a giant bird with a 17-foot wingspan screaming "HURLEY!" as it flew overhead... and then never even give a hint to it. Even if it's completely unrelated to any plot element I'd love to know the thought process behind that. Then I'd like to enjoy the disappointing response of "Uhhhh we just threw that in there for fun."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I don't know what's wrong with me, but the "Hurley bird" is my biggest annoyance with the mysteries. I sit back and wonder what the creators could've possibly been thinking when they created a giant bird with a 17-foot wingspan screaming "HURLEY!" as it flew overhead... and then never even give a hint to it. Even if it's completely unrelated to any plot element I'd love to know the thought process behind that. Then I'd like to enjoy the disappointing response of "Uhhhh we just threw that in there for fun."
I'd completely forgotten about that, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcHaa6PbKsw :ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
The egyptian god Horus had many forms, and one was a green falcon. And since there's the whole egyptian theme within the show, my guess is that it was just a representation of God choosing Hurley to do whatever it is he's supposed to do. Also, possibly some foreshadowing on him being the protector of the island since that's how it ended.

I guess.

It's best to let this show lay to rest and move on because these fucks aren't going to answer any questions anyways.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It was just ham-handed way to show Michael his gun wasn't loaded because they didn't trust him. The Hurley thing was just a joke, as the Sawyer crack punctuated. It was nothing. Get over it, Deci.

Anyway, I don't really see the point of nitpicking it to death anymore. Especially every non-answer one should have already known we weren't going to get or wasn't important anyway, and even more so if it was actually fun or effective at the time. The whole point was just tossing these questions out there, any answers would ultimately disappoint in my opinion. If anything, the problem was the quality of the mystery and mythology itself went downhill in the latter seasons.

That said, I still rate early Lost as some of the best television I've ever seen, it's just unfortunate that they couldn't keep it up and it was a mixed bag in the end. Or that it didn't live up to its potential if you want to look at it that way, but it's not the worst show ever or even the worst disappointment by any means; it's biggest crime might be that it was too good in the beginning. It conned us into thinking it was something better than it was, and maybe that's why it's more upsetting than a typical TV show that eventually went downhill. To me the irony is it might have actually been much better for longer had they never decided on an end date and just tried keeping it up as long as they could like any other show.

Walter said:
wtzBE.gif

This gif is so hilarious XD oh man thank you for that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
This gif is so hilarious XD oh man thank you for that.

Yeah it made my day. Anyway, I think you guys are a bit unfair about the unanswered questions. I'd argue that the most important of them all WAS answered in the end
(who Kate chose between Jack and Sawyer)

Considering Kate escaped with Sawyer though, you can't help but wonder if the two of them lived out their days banging each other. Though Jack did get Juilet for awhile in limbo world so maybe it all evens out

Also, I saw somewhere someone pointing out how bad it might be for the survivors.

Especially Frank. He makes it back with the same airplane that they left in minus every passenger but one. Also we have one of the saved oceanic 6, 2 from the original crash that were supposed to be long dead, a 200-300 year old dude (Though I suppose he's traveled off the island before so who knows) and Miles who's been missing for years. Yeah, this won't cause problems.

There were many talks about Lost Finale in the past two years, like it's never gonna meet the expectations, but for me it was a perfect ending, I'm glad I watched the series.

Griffith

Those lists and videos of unanswered questions only goes to show that the series was SO flawed in that regard, there's simply no point in addressing each thing specifically. It's like asking about one of thousands of single scratches on the body of a car that's been in a collision, flipped over several times, exploded, and then burnt into a husk. It doesn't really matter if it got keyed before that.

That said, who was inside the car still matters, and I addressed that in some chats with genuine Lost fans that weren't just bitterly watching out the string in resignation, so if you care, give it a read (spoilers for the final episode):

Me: Last thing if you're going to sleep soon... Lost finale?

OnyxMagnolia: oh
it's growing on me
i LOVED EVERYTHING but the last 10 minutes

Me:
Oh yeah, I had a physical revulsion when he said, "I'm dead."

OnyxMagnolia: but i think the more i think about it, the more i'm learning to accept it
YEAH
me too

Me: Yup

OnyxMagnolia: i was upset right after

Me: It was a first
I've not liked stuff before, but that was like, my body knew.
Sinking feeling

OnyxMagnolia: yeah same here

Me: But, I wasn't upset by the end
once I interpreted that the island stuff WAS real
Just the flash sideways was BS (in about every way)

OnyxMagnolia: yeah
i know

Me: Though the footage of the wreckage at the end threw me.
"Wait, were they just all dead!?"
Then I heard that was like, an ABC decision
Not actually part of the show

OnyxMagnolia: but i guess i was just upset by the cheesy religiousness and the fact that at the end there were no answers

Me: Oh yeah, the weird religious vibe
Oh I was happy with no answers, cause I was right!
Told you!
haha

OnyxMagnolia: lol

Me: They could have used less actually, like those last 10 minutes and the Across the Sea episode were horrible

OnyxMagnolia: i do love that we saw all the characters in the sideways and got to say goodbye to all of them

Me: Even their explanations explained nothing and sucked to boot
Yeah, that was nice

OnyxMagnolia: but yeah, i wanted something more than just them moving on

Me: They did a good job playing up the characters

Me: Since that's what there was to like by the end
I'd given up on the plot

12:10amOnyxMagnolia: like i said though, i'm learning to like it more and more as the days go by

Me: Because it was the worst season ever by that standpoint

OnyxMagnolia: now i'm just sad that it's over
yeah

Me: I feel like they should have just done it like a regular series
Until it ran dry
There was NO reason in the end to have an end.
Or an endpoint.
I think it might have actually improved the quality of the show for a few more years, or at least been on par.
Like, I didn't mind things just getting crazier and crazier in season 2 when they had no plan

Me: And I feel like season 3 was sort of the best ending of the show.

OnyxMagnolia: ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THERE WAS NO COOL ENDING
in the end, it just looked like they didn't have shit planned at all

Me: Season 1-3 was Lost, 4-5 was like... the sequel. =)

OnyxMagnolia: hahaha yeah

Me: Bigger and crazier, not as good.

Me:Didn't make sense

Me: And the season 3 ending explained as much and made more sense than the finale, except it was an awesome ending
Like, I'm still pissed they killed John Locke now because... there was no reason to
Smoke monster amounted to smoke basically

OnyxMagnolia: EXACTLY
me too

Me: Might as well have been John Locke

Me: Did you watch Kimmel after?
I thought it was interesting he didn't know he was the smoke monster during season 5
Terry O'Quinn

Me: Like, that was much cooler at the time too

OnyxMagnolia: yeah, i had heard about that before
he's an amazing actor

Me: It wasn't enough that they just had Terry O'Quinn recast as the villain in the last season, kind of a betrayel
Just complete the arc of Locke's character instead
Like, I was still hoping they'd play that up with the sideways Locke
Repossessing the body or something
Or some kind of dual personality/struggle

OnyxMagnolia: i mean, i liked that twist when i saw it but yeah, locke was such an amazing character and i missed him
yeah

Me: Good Locke/Bad Locke for lack of a better way to say it

OnyxMagnolia: i know what you mean
i kept waiting for that too

Me: That's what I though Desmond was doing, trying to kill him there so he'd somehow go back?
Like, one of the coolest things was when Flocke referenced the hatch with Jack... because it tied to Locke.
And Jack's response was basically how I felt, but towards the writers.
"Why'd you disrespect the character?"

12:18amOnyxMagnolia: hahah
yeah
OMG i gotta say jack did redeem himself at the end
i actually fell in love with the character during the last 2 episodes

Me: He was kind of a dick for the longest time

OnyxMagnolia:
and seeing him dying next to vincent I CRIED OMG
yeah, he has been a dick the whole time
even this season
little whiny bitch

Me: I feel like they didn't do enough to explain his change of heart, like I got it and was ready to believe it and fully expected it, but even he didn't explain it well to Kate.
Like, why the Island was important to him.

Me: I thought they could have spent more time on that, less with the BS with Widmore and Smokey
Which was like filler for no reason

OnyxMagnolia: i think at the end he turned into the man of faith
he just believed he had a purpose there
yeah
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THE POINT OF EVEN HAVING WIDMORE THIS SEASON
soooo fucking stupid
there was absolutely no point...only that he brought desmond back

Me: And really, they could have done that any other way
I mean, it didn't even have to be Desmond

Me: And yeah, the final shot was a win
With Vincent and all
And the plane
Good little thematic circle, if obvious

OnyxMagnolia: yeah, i always have high hopes for desmond so i was disappointed with how the character was wrapped up on the island
yeah

Me: But yeah, it was like, instead of being better when they decided on an end point, it just accelerated the "demise" of the show

sigh

Me:
But hey, we can all meet in a church later and go into the light!
haha sorry
I'm trying to lesson your post-finale depression by bringing up something you WON'T miss

OnyxMagnolia: lol

Me: Did we discuss Lost finale already?
I don't think we did.

Jasmare: nope, still kind of wrapping my head around it
i'm reading up on it right now actually
thoughts in a nutshell?

Me: Season 6 was the worst ever, story went nowhere, but the finale did a good job celebrating the characters

Jasmare: the temple.. what a waste of time!

Me: It all was!
Widmore
Smokey
It should have just been Locke.

Jasmare: eh, yeah i could have done with a lot less of that stuff
Did you see this video? http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936291
wait what?

Me: Season 5 was better because he WASN'T the smoke monster yet

Jasmare: wasn't he? we just didn't know it

Me: I mean, it was basically just Locke that season.
Could have been him, and SHOULD have I can now say.
Because there was no reason to recast Terry O'Quinn as a generic lame villain that wasn't worth it.
What'd you think?

Jasmare: it wasn't locke, he was clearly different

Me:No, i'm saying it SHOULD have been Locke.
The MIB/smoke monster stuff was an abortion.

Jasmare: i liked that it wasn't

Me: It was in no way validated.

Jasmare: i was happy with it overall
i don't know, i'll have to watch it again

Me: It was a pretty sudden and dramatic turn when you think about, and I just don't feel they took it anywhere worthwhile
Great, he wanted to leave for no reason
on his rickety boat lol
Then Kate shoots him
We had to abandon the character of John Locke and his arc for that?
Him and Jack didn't have better unfinished business?
I don't think so.

Jasmare: i disagree with you but i don't have the energy to defend this
..being three hours ahead and all

Me: I don't think you have the material to defend it, say sorry.
It's not you, it's just that it's not there. It's not very defensible.

Jasmare: locke was a tragic character

Me: It was bad, I mean, you can like it, but it's not like it was something substantial and great that can be backed up.

Jasmare: the fact he died and his form was taken advantage of like that makes sense to me

Me: No he wasn't, he got to be justified and go heaven at the end. =)
Wasn't that sweet!
All Locke's go to heaven.

Jasmare: wah wah

Me: In the end, Flocke was basically generic villain filler.
Didn't have to be that way, granted, but that's all they mustered.
Should have just done something with resurrected Locke if that's all they had with this plot line.

Me and my girlfriend just started watching season 1 of Lost in the past week and a half. We only have 4 more episodes to go. Loving it so far! But I see from a lot of the recent comments that a lot of people are dissapointed. Oh well, I will just try and enjoy the ride.

Aazealh said:
You're making a mistake. This won't end well.

Just watched parts 1 and 2 the Season 1 finale last night. Not bad, I wonder why Ethan Rom was unarmed and gunned down so easily if other members of the others have hand guns as well.

I already knew some spoilers about season 1, as well as some of the details about what will be inside the hatch now that it's opened. Still, so far so good, its interesting to see how the relationship between John and Jack develops over the course of the season.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
it's even better watching it fall apart starting with episode 1 of season 2 all the way up to the series finale.

Haha, that takes me back, first time I reacted to one of their major plot turns with a real visceral, physical revulsion; that sinking feeling you get when you reject something on such a base, fundamental level that it's not even a conscious decision.
The last time that happened was... oh yeah, the last 10 minutes of the finale! :troll:

Ok, so season 2, episodes 1 & 2 have been watched. If I understand correctly the plot twist must be that Desmond is inside the hatch. I think that was a little rushed, being that they had only just briefly introduced the character in a flash back about 13 minutes prior. Otherwise still enjoying it. Stay tuned.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Ok, so season 2, episodes 1 & 2 have been watched. If I understand correctly the plot twist must be that Desmond is inside the hatch. I think that was a little rushed, being that they had only just briefly introduced the character in a flash back about 13 minutes prior. Otherwise still enjoying it. Stay tuned.

You don't have to give us such precise reports you know, you might as well do one per season at this point.

Good to see Olivier fighting the good fight on Gamefaqs >.>

I was following this thread for a few days: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960566-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker/55357987 and I recognized the name, but it didn't sink in until now.

I'm still disappointed to see people trying to compare Lost and the Metal Gear series. :sad:

Top Bottom