Twin Peaks Returns

Natt_Himmel

"Just a guy who reads Berserk for fun."
Some people may have noticed that Carel Struycken is credited as just "???????" in Season 3 instead of "The Giant" as he was in Season 2. There being seven question marks.

If you check out the recent soundtrack you see that the song that was played during The Giants most recent scene you'll notice that it is called "The Fireman".

Now it makes sense in the way that The Giant is alerted by an alarm and he goes off to most likely avert or remove the danger. Now "Fireman" also contains seven letters.

It could also make sense that if The Giants purpose is to save or fight against the black lodge, whose evil is often connected with fire, such as with the quote "Fire walk with me". So it makes sense that The Giant is the fireman to put out the fire caused by the black lodge. So is it possible that his new name is "The Fireman"?

PSBtQjr.jpg

A

alexenterprises1

Another interesting interview, this time with Kyle MacLachlan, has popped up. Very interesting read.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-star-kyle-maclachlan-promises-everything-will-make-sense-1019076

I forgot to mention it:
The locust/frog have a pointy nose. So, it could very well be "The Little Boy" or "The Jumping Man" from FWWM.

...The boy in the 1950s segment of part 8 was a dead ringer for a young Frank Silva (BOB). Anyone here going to comic-con 2017 if you are you'll get to see part 11 early.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those who saw tonight's ep: http://thesearchforthezone.com/

This is the kickoff of an ARG, apparently.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This isn't a spoiler at all, but I'm really going to be sad when Dougie Jones is inevitably ushered off the stage. He's still around, and I'm already missing him.

Missing him.

Highlights from tonight's ep:

Doug-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nadine's business exterior.
Albert's date and Gordon/Lynch's reaction.
Confirmation that the Horne family tree is fucked up.
Diane's apparent role in what's to come.
Candy.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
After a rough start (we somehow saw episodes 2 & 3 before the feature length pilot; talk about surreal storytelling =) we're almost done with season 1 of Twin Peaks, but I've heard bad things about season 2 and Lynch's lack of involvement (here, no less), and the movie isn't highly regarded as well, which leads to my question... I'm impatient to join everyone on season 3, but is season 2 and/or the film necessary to understand and enjoy it or are they largely ignored? I'm assuming it's the former but figured I'd ask in case season 2 is considered irrelevant or something and I can save the 22 hours.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
but is season 2 and/or the film necessary to understand and enjoy it or are they largely ignored?

Understanding what happens in Season 2 and Fire Walk With Me is absolutely vital to following the new season. There are many scenes, characters, even props, where the meaning is left unexplained, relying on the audience to piece it together. That being said, Season 2 ... taken at a leisurely pace, I think there are bits that are genuinely good. But they are few and far between the absolute crap. I had the pleasure of watching it with friends back when the show wasn't even on DVD yet (on tapes recorded when it was airing — with commercials), and we laughed through most of it and had a blast. Watching it solo now, with the knowledge of much better things on the horizon, I can totally understand someone squirming through it. :guts: So if you're racing to catch up with us, and I don't blame you, I'd advise reading up on what happens (this is good enough, followed by watching this video I guess? ), and then dive straight into the finale, which marks Lynch's return, and is amazing.

Also, I'm struggling to think of something that was wrong with Fire Walk With Me. As I understand it, it had bad initial reception (in 1992), I suppose because it followed on the heels of the up-and-down Season 2. But distanced from those strange early days, you won't find much to complain about now. It's quite loved by Twin Peaks fans.

Finally, hey guys, I finished the Untold History of Twin Peaks book, and I thought it was truly awful. Ask me anything!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
This chart has come in handy when revisiting Season 2. That said, I would still recommend suffering through the second season in its entirety, if you can manage it without doing this --> :mozgus:

I think that, like Walter said, Fire Walk with Me got a bad rap back in the 90s, but among Lynch fans nowadays, it's all good. So go forth and enjoy, once you're done with the rest of Season 2, that is. :carcus:

One piece of advice I would give is that you shouldn't necessarily feel like you need to rush to the "finish line" that is Season 3. Try to enjoy the ride and have a good time before worrying too much about the grand scheme of the Twin Peaks universe. You can only enjoy those big moments once!

Walter said:
Finally, hey guys, I finished the Untold History of Twin Peaks book, and I thought it was truly awful. Ask me anything!

Bummer! I still haven't gotten around to finishing the audiobook version, myself. I found a lot of the initial history to be dreadfully dry, but once I got past some of the more lengthy explanations, it was a lot more enjoyable. One thing I'm confused about (based on what I've heard from others) is how there are some apparent inconsistencies with the show that have lead people to believe that the book's referencing an "alternate" Twin Peaks in which some events involving the cast are slightly different. What's your take on that?

All that aside, I'm excited for the new episode tonight. Lynch has been doing a great job of juggling surreal/metaphysical and more mundane events in the show, and the past few episodes have been a fantastic example. I, too, am relishing every moment we have now with Dougie. Is anybody else bothered by Tammy's distracting wiggle-walk? I wonder if the actress was specifically directed by Lynch to do that. It just doesn't look natural.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:

This is awesome.

Bummer! I still haven't gotten around to finishing the audiobook version, myself. I found a lot of the initial history to be dreadfully dry, but once I got past some of the more lengthy explanations, it was a lot more enjoyable.

I can imagine that reading the actual book is probably a better experience, because the source materials are laid out like actual notes. That's cooler than the audiobook, which even though it gets some narrations from the actual cast, their performances are mostly phoned in (Cooper's in particular, Christ!). It just bugged me the direction they went, the things they were interested in focusing on, it all seemed so tedious and peripheral to the stuff I actually care about.
Maybe fans of the goddamned Martell / Packard / Horne rivalry are just bonered up for it though. That stuff on top of all the Nadine, high school football, and Josie crap that populates the book, retconning the mayor's brother into being a key character ... It just all reeked of crap, to me.

One thing I'm confused about (based on what I've heard from others) is how there are some apparent inconsistencies with the show that have lead people to believe that the book's referencing an "alternate" Twin Peaks in which some events involving the cast are slightly different. What's your take on that?

Yeah I came across some of that after looking online for "did I miss why this book was important?" But, I don't put much stock into those notions,
because it seems like a case of the fans being too familiar with the material, and see more significance in details like inconsistent maiden names and where rings were on fingers -- the kinds of details that could easily have just been oversights. The competing timeline and reality theory has been brought up a few times, over on Reddit, but consistently gets disproven by things like Jade mailing the key (and it arriving in Twin Peaks shortly after). Fans will be fans!

Griffith

Season 2: Bad but essential, just as I'd feared. I may have to go it alone. :ganishka:

I'll let you know what I think of season 1 once we wrap it up. It's not as weird as I'd expected yet, probably because TV has had plenty of room to grow just as weird in the meantime, though definitely offbeat as hell and I'm enjoying all the 80's faces I'm recognizing. It's a bit of a weird experience that it's nostalgic for me when I haven't seen it before.

Grail said:
Is anybody else bothered by Tammy's distracting wiggle-walk? I wonder if the actress was specifically directed by Lynch to do that. It just doesn't look natural.

I guess she's exaggerating it a little bit but I wouldn't say I'm bothered by it in my case... it's mesmerizing... :slan:
I've read a lot of hate for her character but personally, I like her.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Is anybody else bothered by Tammy's distracting wiggle-walk? I wonder if the actress was specifically directed by Lynch to do that. It just doesn't look natural.

I find a lot about her problematic.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
After a rough start (we somehow saw episodes 2 & 3 before the feature length pilot; talk about surreal storytelling =) we're almost done with season 1 of Twin Peaks, but I've heard bad things about season 2 and Lynch's lack of involvement (here, no less), and the movie isn't highly regarded as well, which leads to my question... I'm impatient to join everyone on season 3, but is season 2 and/or the film necessary to understand and enjoy it or are they largely ignored? I'm assuming it's the former but figured I'd ask in case season 2 is considered irrelevant or something and I can save the 22 hours.

The movie not being highly regarded is only because it feels nothing like the show. It's an amazing horror movie, my 4th favorite Lynch, and features the best soundtrack of all his films. Kermode explains why it was panned and reviews it best - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrpAyb438Sc

Skip season 2 after episode 8 or 9 and just watch the finale, you won't miss a thing. I say rush it, unless you're reaaaally into it (highly doubt it). Even the supposed "less bad" parts of season 2 are quickly put aside by Lynch in the finale.

The Beast of Darkness said:
I've read a lot of hate for her character but personally, I like her.

She's a singer not an actress, and a friend of Lynch's, who likes to hang around hot young ladies. Her singer persona is kinda oversexed as well. I find Dern as Diane way more annoying.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
She's a singer not an actress, and a friend of Lynch's, who likes to hang around hot young ladies. Her singer persona is kinda oversexed as well.

My concern is more with the leering nature of some of her scenes. The butt of the joke in one scene is literally her righteous butt. It just feels cheap in an otherwise sll-star production. But hey, "SHE'S GOT THE GOODS," so maybe I just need to "fix my heart or die." :iva:

NightCrawler said:
I find Dern as Diane way more annoying.

You may as well complain about the character at this point, since no one has portrayed Diane before.

Regarding last night's ep,
the standout scenes for me were the R+R shooting and of course, Gordon's experience with the vortex (at 2240 Sycamore). I was also pleased that the Jim Belushi scenes are seemingly coming to a close, after feeling long-in-the-tooth 2 episodes ago, christ. Only 7 more eps.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
My concern is more with the leering nature of some of her scenes. The butt of the joke in one scene is literally her righteous butt. It just feels cheap in an otherwise sll-star production. But hey, "SHE'S GOT THE GOODS," so maybe I just need to "fix my heart or die." :iva:

I agree that her scenes are bad and void of purpose. Since I knew who she was beforehand, I just decided to not give much importance to her character. So much that I don't even remember that joke.

You may as well complain about the character at this point, since no one has portrayed Diane before

Indeed. I should've said it differently. Diane, the character, is annoying.

Off topic: I haven't posted in a while, but I don't get why my post deserved several downvotes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pause the staircase scene in the latest ep. There's some familiar, floral wallpaper in the background. Might have seen it in a particular painting of a doorway from Fire Walks With Me.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Season 2: Bad but essential, just as I'd feared. I may have to go it alone. :ganishka:

I'll let you know what I think of season 1 once we wrap it up. It's not as weird as I'd expected yet, probably because TV has had plenty of room to grow just as weird in the meantime, though definitely offbeat as hell and I'm enjoying all the 80's faces I'm recognizing. It's a bit of a weird experience that it's nostalgic for me when I haven't seen it before.

I didn't watch the show until years after either, I ran into the same problems as you. For everything I had heard about it, it wasn't quite as strange and surreal as I was expecting, especially already being a mega Lynch fan. Although, like you said, it has it's charm and is somehow nostalgic anyway and I really grew to love it. Then season 2 happened ... It's a slog to get through. I must have amnesia about it too because so much of the final third of that season is erased from my memory (save the final of course). But the movie is really cool and essential. I just wish there was a special edition of the movie where the Missing Pieces segments were back in, because there's some great stuff in there too.

But hang in there Griff! This new season is paying off awesomely well. It's everything I wanted in the original series but felt there wasn't enough of. Some of these more surreal episodes are classic Lynch with nightmare inducing sequences. I'm absolutely loving it, even though I haven't put in the time or effort most others have to unlocking all the secrets, leaving me quite confused at moments :schnoz:

Griffith

Oburi said:
I didn't watch the show until years after either, I ran into the same problems as you. For everything I had heard about it, it wasn't quite as strange and surreal as I was expecting, especially already being a mega Lynch fan. Although, like you said, it has it's charm and is somehow nostalgic anyway and I really grew to love it.

Well, I haven't quite hit the "grown to love" point yet, it definitely has it's moments (basically with Cooper) and seems to be getting weirder (better), but I'm now a couple episodes into season 2 and firmly giving it (and all you fans =) the side eye and going, "O-kaaaaay, yeah, ayyyye GET it, BRILLIANT!" *backs away slowly, makes no eye contact* For all its charms I'm not seeing the big deal, and at this point the show seems to almost purposely be trying to engage in an antagonistic relationship with the audience at times... but maybe that is good! I mean, I haven't stopped yet, it's stimulating in a weird way, but I'm still firmly in Homer Simpson mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDa-_Vq51I

Oburi said:
Then season 2 happened ... It's a slog to get through. I must have amnesia about it too because so much of the final third of that season is erased from my memory (save the final of course).

This is where I'm running into trouble, because if the best is behind me, and what's behind me I didn't find so great, and even the fans think this part's not so great... then where's the great part again!? Is it the sum of the parts? Ugh! I guess it happened and I just don't get it. *puts on dunce cap* :???:

Oburi said:
But the movie is really cool and essential. I just wish there was a special edition of the movie where the Missing Pieces segments were back in, because there's some great stuff in there too.

But hang in there Griff! This new season is paying off awesomely well. It's everything I wanted in the original series but felt there wasn't enough of. Some of these more surreal episodes are classic Lynch with nightmare inducing sequences. I'm absolutely loving it, even though I haven't put in the time or effort most others have to unlocking all the secrets, leaving me quite confused at moments :schnoz:

Well, here's where my head is at the moment: I don't think I can go through 20 more episodes like the last two I watched if something doesn't really grab me besides the occasional "lol they're fucking with me" moment or genuinely scary Lynch nightmare sequence, so my plan after the advice and resources I've been offered here is to go with Nighty's middle way and watch to the middle of season 2, where I understand it kind of gets away from the Lynch/Frost MO anyway, then read summaries of the following episodes as Wally suggested, jump to the finale, the movie, and start season 3. I don't particularly like this half-measure, but it's hard to swallow an extra 12 episodes even the hardcore fans don't recommend when I'm not even that engaged yet. My ideal hope is that by the time I reach that fork in the road something clicks on the show or in my head and I am engaged to the point I simply can't look away like after the season 1 finale (and as Grail recommends and I agree with in principle), so we'll see!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Well, here's where my head is at the moment: I don't think I can go through 20 more episodes like the last two I watched if something doesn't really grab me besides the occasional "lol they're fucking with me" moment or genuinely scary Lynch nightmare sequence, so my plan after the advice and resources I've been offered here is to go with Nighty's middle way and watch to the middle of season 2, where I understand it kind of gets away from the Lynch/Frost MO anyway, then read summaries of the following episodes as Wally suggested, jump to the finale, the movie, and start season 3. I don't particularly like this half-measure, but it's hard to swallow an extra 12 episodes even the hardcore fans don't recommend when I'm not even that engaged yet. My ideal hope is that by the time I reach that fork in the road something clicks on the show or in my head and I am engaged to the point I simply can't look away like after the season 1 finale (and as Grail recommends and I agree with in principle), so we'll see!

I won't hold it against you. In fact, maybe the reason I don't remember some of the later episodes is because I skipped a few myself. Nightcrawlers advice isn't a bad way to go (for what it's worth i gave you some good karma for the suggestion Nighty :serpico: ).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
This is where I'm running into trouble, because if the best is behind me, and what's behind me I didn't find so great, and even the fans think this part's not so great... then where's the great part again!? Is it the sum of the parts? Ugh! I guess it happened and I just don't get it. *puts on dunce cap* :???:

Hey, you made me watch all those crappy Magnum P.I. episodes before I could get to the good ones! :farnese:

I don't think the best is behind you, though. I don't think I fell in love with the series until the season 2 finale, and it and the movie gave me a new appreciation for everything. There is something special about those early episodes, but they feel quite tame now, almost cute, with everything that's transpired since.

The way that I'd explain the appeal of the show is that there's never been anything like it on TV, and I think it helped set the stage for the modern-day hour-long prime time TV dramas. It's got an atmosphere, characters, and a sense of humor that only Lynch can provide. He'll take a sharp turn in an otherwise terrifying or sad scene to show something like Andy crying next to the train where Laura was murdered because he's too emotional. Little moments like that, of which there are a half-dozen or so each (good) episode, are constantly playing with your expectations. I think the "whodunit" that launched the series got played out early on, and I stopped caring at a certain point. I don't think that's what the show did well. I just wanted to keep seeing what the characters were up to.

Also, I think your earlier perceptions of the show might have tainted your viewing of it. The legacy of the show really isn't its randomness. I think that's just how some people in the '90s perceived it before the revelations in the finale and the movie. The series' supernatural elements really aren't weird for weirdness sake. Watching those early episodes now, there's a pattern to almost everything. Just like Dark Souls isn't great because it's "the hardest game of all time!" Twin Peaks isn't great because it's "the strangest most surreal thing you've ever seen!"

watch to the middle of season 2, where I understand it kind of gets away from the Lynch/Frost MO anyway, then read summaries of the following episodes as Wally suggested, jump to the finale, the movie, and start season 3.

There's very little about Season 2 that you need to see to make sense of the finale and the rest. Really, there are just two characters which don't take much time to explain. I wouldn't feel too guilty about skipping past most of it if you really aren't feeling it. Though you're going to miss some great stuff with Leland and of course Leo's shoes.

Griffith

Oburi said:
I won't hold it against you. In fact, maybe the reason I don't remember some of the later episodes is because I skipped a few myself. Nightcrawlers advice isn't a bad way to go (for what it's worth i gave you some good karma for the suggestion Nighty :serpico: ).

It didn't help him much (0), but with my vote he's back in the black! :ganishka: Does anyone care about these arbitrary karma points though? Everyone knows sexual prowess is tied to your post count anyway. :carcus:

Walter said:
Hey, you made me watch all those crappy Magnum P.I. episodes before I could get to the good ones! :farnese:

That hurts, poor Huggins. :guts: BTW, just to update you Sneakers is stuck in the queue behind Peaks.

Walter said:
I don't think the best is behind you, though. I don't think I fell in love with the series until the season 2 finale, and it and the movie gave me a new appreciation for everything. There is something special about those early episodes, but they feel quite tame now, almost cute, with everything that's transpired since.

The way that I'd explain the appeal of the show is that there's never been anything like it on TV, and I think it helped set the stage for the modern-day hour-long prime time TV dramas. It's got an atmosphere, characters, and a sense of humor that only Lynch can provide. He'll take a sharp turn in an otherwise terrifying or sad scene to show something like Andy crying next to the train where Laura was murdered because he's too emotional. Little moments like that, of which there are a half-dozen or so each (good) episode, are constantly playing with your expectations. I think the "whodunit" that launched the series got played out early on, and I stopped caring at a certain point. I don't think that's what the show did well. I just wanted to keep seeing what the characters were up to.

Also, I think your earlier perceptions of the show might have tainted your viewing of it. The legacy of the show really isn't its randomness. I think that's just how some people in the '90s perceived it before the revelations in the finale and the movie. The series' supernatural elements really aren't weird for weirdness sake. Watching those early episodes now, there's a pattern to almost everything. Just like Dark Souls isn't great because it's "the hardest game of all time!" Twin Peaks isn't great because it's "the strangest most surreal thing you've ever seen!"

I think perception and expectation is definitely playing a role here, not that I expected it to be the most mind-bending thing I've ever seen and anything less is a disappointment, but just the fact that I've probably been exposed a lot of what it's inspired so I'm not getting the "best TV show ever?" impact it had at the time. It sure doesn't look like a TV show from the era, more like a film, but now everything does. Same for the non-traditional storytelling elements, though it also plays up the tropes nicely, which is another thing that was probably more novel at the time, and now it almost feels more genuinely like that old TV than a goof on it (like it really is Invitation to Love now; "as Emerald AND Jade" lol). Plus, just judging from the conversations here I got a bad impression of season 2 going in, which I ass-u-me'd meant the magic of the show was locked in the first 8 episodes, but apparently not so. That's good, because I'm fine with the progression from season 1 into the early episodes of season 2, glad it shouldn't be "devalued," though I'm still getting, and admittedly giving, mixed signals.

Walter said:
There's very little about Season 2 that you need to see to make sense of the finale and the rest. Really, there are just two characters which don't take much time to explain. I wouldn't feel too guilty about skipping past most of it if you really aren't feeling it. Though you're going to miss some great stuff with Leland and of course Leo's shoes.

Yeah, I love Ray Wise here, and he's basically the A#1 80's face I was referencing before, plus Sully(!) as one of my favorite whimsically murderous, marshmallow-loving bad brothers! The ledger/marshmallow scene pretty much encompasses everything I love and hate about the show.

Top Bottom