US Slam Dunk Nearing Completion

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Viz will release volume 29 of Slam Dunk in the US tomorrow, which means the series is just two more issues away from being released completely. The final volume is expected to be released by December.

I haven't yet checked out what Viz has done for Slam Dunk. I was waiting to see if they'd actually finish it out, but turns out they are!

For those who don't know, Slam Dunk is still one of my favorite series, and it's what got me into Inoue. Highly recommended.

Thanks for posting this Walter. I'm up to 26 so far. They've been consistent releasing a new volume every month (or every second month I think) which is kinda affordable too.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but I saw those d/books versions a few months ago, they're hard-covered (will re-confirm soon) with different covers that look just as cool as original ones. Tempted to pick those up slowly, one by one. Preview them here -http://www.slamdunk.it/gallery/index.php?level=picture&id=242

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
IncantatioN said:
Thanks for posting this Walter. I'm up to 26 so far. They've been consistent releasing a new volume every month (or every second month I think) which is kinda affordable too.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but I saw those d/books versions a few months ago, they're hard-covered (will re-confirm soon) with different covers that look just as cool as original ones. Tempted to pick those up slowly, one by one. Preview them here -http://www.slamdunk.it/gallery/index.php?level=picture&id=242

Those are Italian and the covers look just the same as the Japanese ones . These are like the omnibus vagabond that Viz has.

Interesting. I thought the Japanese and Viz translated versions mirrored each other (reference ...
3_zpsa68f2d59.jpg
).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, in Japan there are (at least) two editions of Slam Dunk. The only difference is the cover. Around 2003-4, the series was re-released as a "deluxe edition" with new covers drawn by Inoue. When the series was being localized, some regions used those new covers, some used the older ones.

Personally, I prefer the originals because they often depict scenes rather than mere character portraits, and there's just something jarring about seeing Inoue's "new" style strapped on as a cover to his old work. Just like inside the volumes, you see his skill grow over time with the covers.

It's great to hear they're doing all the volumes. I've wanted to read the series ever since you talked about it on the podcast, Walter. I'll definitely have to check them out. I wonder if they'll do some kind of box set once they've finished with all the volumes. (Do they even do box sets for mangas?)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The final volume (31) is out. I just finished reading through the last few, and it is still breathtaking. Definitely one of the best endings to a series that I can think of. For completely subjective reasons, I actually like Slam Dunk even more than Vagabond. So if you're a fan of that series, please give Slam Dunk a shot. Like Vagabond, it starts a little rough, but grows into a different kind of beast as it progresses. The final 10 or so volumes are just incredible on all fronts. It's so cool to see Inoue develop as an artist during those early days.

I was also really impressed with Viz' work on this one. Clean transfers on all images. They put Dark Horse to shame. Honestly, they look even better than my original Japanese editions, and I'm not even sure how that's possible. Better paper quality, I would imagine. Though, I was bothered by their choice of "Phenom" as the translation for "天才," making the finale of the series a little... awkward looking.

It's interesting to look back on this series now. It includes many of the key elements of both Vagabond and REAL. Those two series are truly natural progressions for Inoue that he started in Slam Dunk.

They're between $7-9 each on Amazon.

Top Bottom