Vagabond Returns (Spoilers).

Re: Vagabond Returns.

Here's the website for the artbooks, it has a prewiew of both books.

http://shop.kodansha.jp/bc/yoyaku/comics/m25vagabond/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Anyone able to pick up volume 22 yet? It's supposedly been out since August 15th, but no one across the 2 states I've traveled this week has it in stock, and even special orders have been delayed, it seems.

Am I the only one? :judo:

S

Sanguinius

I have volume 22 ordered, but it seems to delayed because the supplier is restocking, maybe thats a widespread problem?

Walter said:
Anyone able to pick up volume 22 yet?  It's supposedly been out since August 15th, but no one across the 2 states I've traveled this week has it in stock, and even special orders have been delayed, it seems.

Am I the only one?  :judo:

Same here, checked all my usual places. Nothing...

Walter said:
Anyone able to pick up volume 22 yet?  It's supposedly been out since August 15th, but no one across the 2 states I've traveled this week has it in stock, and even special orders have been delayed, it seems.

Am I the only one?  :judo:

I have the same problem out the three Borders around the two that usually get Vagabond don't have Volume 22. After buying Volumes 14-21, now I'll have to wait to read vol.22. :judo:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

I ordered some at my Borders. Nothing back from them yet, though. If they get a few, should I let anyone know? You could call that store and ask for a transfer.... desperate times cause for desperate measures.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

You're not alone, guys. I've called on several occasions since even before the 15th since 21 was out ahead of schedule, and yeah, nothing. As a matter of fact, the answer went from "in a couple of days" to "a few weeks."

BTW, last time I called and asked, the guy said, "Geez, everybody's calling about that title." I didn't bother to mention that everybody could have been me. =)

All of you guys are into this series? It must be good.  I'll have to check it out, but I can hardily find a sample page on the net... or a forum.  I suppose I'll have to go ahead and buy the first volume, It better be good.  :serpico:

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840

Well....its akward at first. I was dissapointed myself.
But slow starts are usually worth it.
And here it sure is.
It grows on you, and before you know it your reading some really amazing stuff.

Uriel

Ugh, my Borders JUST called me to let me know it arrived. About bloody time. Hope all of you are so lucky
thumbup.gif

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!

I still had to get 21, and I was also able to get 22 today. For anyone that's still looking, have you checked comic stores? I got mine there, and have to assume it came in on Wednesday with the regular comic delivery.

Morgen

De Arimasu !

I'm happy that there is a subject here about vagabond ! Inoue is a great mangaka but the only problem is if you read the book first, you will be disapointed by the manga, inoue don't respect all the things there are in the book, sadly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Morgen said:
Inoue is a great mangaka but the only problem is if you read the book first, you will be disapointed by the manga, inoue don't respect all the things there are in the book, sadly.

The manga is inspired by and based on the book, but it's not meant to be a faithful adaptation. That would not only be unambitious but also uninteresting. No, Vagabond is its own thing, and it should be taken as such.

Kagami

Goo!

NYC seems to get Vagabond pretty fast, I have had vol. 22 for a while now :)

Anyone else wonder when Kojiro will get the drying pole back? Or how? I think that the sword being polished by Koetsu is most likely the blade, but it was thrown into the sea last time we saw it :O

BTW any news on the cover for vol. 24?

24? Dont you mean vol. 23? Oh well. :p

Speaking of vol. 23, I just picked it up yesterday. Looks real good and all, but no real matchups yet. :puck:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

Well, the cover of 23 was posted on page 1 of this thread. So I think him asking about #24 wasn't a mistake.

Wow, I am up to date on Vagabond now.  I only actually own two volumes, but the print quality is so great. Everything is perfect.  Viz is so awesome, it really is a shame that they didn't get Berserk.
:troll:

The art is nearly as good as Berserk!

Griffith

pippin22 said:
Wow, I am up to date on Vagabond now. I only actually own two volumes, but the print quality is so great. Everything is perfect. Viz is so awesome, it really is a shame that they didn't get Berserk.

Yeah, the reverence with which Viz treats Vagabond makes Dead Horse's rape of Berserk all the more painful. Vagabond is a Viz signature editor's choice title; they're basically going out of their way to show how great it is. Meanwhile, Berserk is a part of Dark Horse's esteemed "Jap Fap Comix" lineup. Though, just saying it's from Dark Horse is embarassing enough.

And the appendix of information in the back of every issue of Vagabond, in addition to fully integrated sounds, must be costing Viz a FORTUNE! :isidro:

Just ask Chris Warner. :carcus:

Uriel

vagapic24.gif
For those buying the tankōbon's, Volume 24 will be out in Japan on 10.23! The volume cover looks to be a good one, but no larger resolutions, yet.

Inoue also updated us with a little more on 『 WATER | SUMI 』. I really, really want these artbooks! Can anyone recommend a good place to get them, or should I just hit up places like Sasuga Books and Kinokuniya in the hope of finding it? Inoue wrote a lot on the production for them in his latest English news post. 160 pages each and "an incredibly large number of illustration" was all he needed to say to sell me. I do get the feeling that the WATER collection will be the most popular.. but if I can afford it, I plan on buying both.

More good news: the newest chapter should be with us shortly. Inoue has the latest previews up on his website, and once again they prove be to EXTREMELY detailed.

• pic1j.gif

pic2j.gif

P.S. Wally, was it you who revamped the entire Vagabond article on Wikipedia? If so, great job! It lacks pictures though =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Well, I can tell what's going on in those preview pages more than normal. Osugi's in the first one, yay.

Good to hear more info on Sumi and Water. Not sure when or where I'll get them from, but I plan to buy both books.

I did revamp most of Wikipedia's Vagabond section a few months ago (in late July, I think...). But they were reverted a few times and I just gave up. The guy that's most active in the section is really set on writing pointlessly huge descriptions of each section of the manga. No one's going to read the stuff, and it's not even accurate in most cases...

I hate Wiki :miura:

I received my copy of volume 23 few days ago at my local bookstore (wow, I guess those tiny independent stores can get their stock of new releases faster than Borders or B&N), and I've gotta say, it's pretty damn nice. Excellent translations, sound effects handling, the color pages being retained, and everything else. Each new volume of Vagabond seems to be better than the last. Hell, the only problem I have with Viz Media's Vagabond release, is that they print the parental advisory label on the cover, instead of just using a removable sticker. Oh well.

Even now, I'm still surprised on how loudly Viz promotes their "Shonen Jump" titles like Naruto and Bleach (which're released edited, and have a below the par printing/paper quality), and at the same time stays mum about Vagabond.

Griffith

BayJumper said:
I received my copy of volume 23 few days ago at my local bookstore (wow, I guess those tiny independent stores can get their stock of new releases faster than Borders or B&N)

I don't know, I got mine on the 12th (looking for 22), and I don't know how long they had it before since I wasn't looking for it.

BayJumper said:
Vagabond seems to be better than the last. Hell, the only problem I have with Viz Media's Vagabond release, is that they print the parental advisory label on the cover, instead of just using a removable sticker. Oh well.

I thought 21 was a high in both presentation and content, and I don't pay any notice to the advisories (can't say I can think of a reason to like them though, unless I want to impress the chicks with my EXPLICIT CONTENT!).

BayJumper said:
Even now, I'm still surprised on how loudly Viz promotes their "Shonen Jump" titles like Naruto and Bleach (which're released edited, and have a below the par printing/paper quality), and at the same time stays mum about Vagabond.

Fine by me as long as they keep giving Vagabond the royal treatment (take notes Dead Horse). I'd rather it stay on the downlow, personally. Those other titles they could edit right off the shelves for all I care, then I wouldn't have to feel the shame picking up my Vagabond shoulder to shoulder with... those people. =)

Anyway, as for the spoiler that won't die and now lives on in Saiya's quote, it hadn't even occurred to me that that could be the child. I was imagining something more like the flashback of young Seijuro, he just wasn't old enough to show up on my radar. But, maybe even more for that reason, and for the Yoshioka's intended purpose of just parading him out there, it could work. If so, and Inoue goes with it (don't be too sure, he's already gone against Yoshikawa and history on most of these matters) that would be extremely cruel (fits perfectly with and changes the whole vibe of a few scenes already).

Basically, I like the idea. :guts:

Top Bottom