Vagabond: Volume 27... new pages (spoilers)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Can be used later for the Viz release....

So stop me if you guys have already seen this, but I just got the Japanese version and thought I'd mention that it features a couple more pages after Akemi chucks herself into the water. It shows Musashi looking in good health and contemplating in the snow, whilst envisioning Otsu. It then cuts to Kojiro who is swinging his bloody stick around (while Hon'ami and his wife (name?!) watch on expressionless), pausing only to right a name in the snow: " 武蔵 " which is, as I'm sure most of you know, Musashi. After Kojiro looks up to the winter sky in seemingly deep though it promptly cuts back to Musashi, who turns his head around sharply as if sensing something (Kojiro, perhaps?).

It's not a lot, I'll grant you, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Vagabond: Volume 27...

I'd cry spoiler, but I would have read it all anyway after I started, still, I think I'm going to make the thread title more clear...

Anyway, that sounds pretty cool, but the randomness of it kind of worries me, like is he only teasing with Musashi/Kojiro for later or is it already on the docket, like next stop? I certainly hope it's the former. Does Musashi look visibly different aside from being healed? Older, scruffier, etc?

Griffith

I might be miffed by such a question, except I kind of thought the same thing initially. After some thought though, while it's a low key addition to what was originally an affecting shocker ending (though now that I remember, I wasn't totally thrilled with it in the first place), I think this gives more meaning to that climax and adds a nice resolution to the volume. After that powerful act by Akemi, Musashi's understandably thinking of his own loved one, and probably his lifestyle in general and how it affects his relationships, and while he's meditating on the meaning of that, by contrast, Kojiro continues to think only of the sword and Musashi.

Of course, knowing those last lines would help too. =)

Page 98 (I presume?)

Akemi - ...Let me say one thing.

Page 99

Akemi - I am Yoshioka Seijuro's woman.

Page 110

Musashi - Where should I go from here on.

Page 111

Musashi - ....Kojiro.

With a request from GNM I thought I'd give you guys a little present. Merry Christmas!

Griffith

Awesome, thank you, yota! Favorite gift I've gotten this year, you want like a custom title, or avatar, or something? =)

And of course, the dialogue takes the wind out of my analysis, but it still works, at least he was thinking of the girl before :daiba:. Anyway, now this really scares me, it literally says "next stop." I hope that at least means another full arc, since the purpose of these new pages seems to be to add a definite closure to this one and transitioning to a next and...*gulp* final?

Uriel

Arse biscuits, I'm late!

Sorry about that yota! Thank you for the bang up job of the translations =)

Griffith

Something the translation reveals the extra pages also add is a nice segue to the next episode.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the new pages, Uriel, and especially thanks the translation Yota.

I think it's amusing that since leaving Koetsu's place, Musashi has dueled with Denshichiro, met with Matahachi, killed more than 70 Yoshioka and is contemplating a new direction for his life ....

While Kojiro is still playing in the snow, to a bewildered (and somewhat frustrated at his overstaying his welcome? :serpico:) Koetsu and grandma.

Griffith

61JiWPaPg5L._SS500_.jpg

Orange instead of pink, March 18th.​

http://www.amazon.com/Vagabond-Vol-27-Graphic-Novels/dp/1421520087

Uriel

I can't wait! :badbone:

Orange looks great, even with such deep blues as the background image, but I it would have been pretty cool if they would have stuck to the colours Inoue had selected. It's not a big deal, though, and I am looking forward to putting it on my shelf!!

Oh, and I love the fact that the next volume of Blade of the Immortal is on that Amazon page. BotI is lurve :idea:

Griffith

http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?product_id=7356

27 comes out tomorrow, and Viz actually acknowledges the existence of this one (check the nav bar, it jumps from 25, which still has no cover image available, to 27, still no 26), but there's an interesting development:

pd7356.jpg

Pink edition cover!?​

Previously only the original Japanese release had the pink title, images for the English release displayed orange, as you can see in my earlier post here and on most other websites selling it. So, report in on what kind of covers you see out there everyone, and we'll settle this once and for all. If this pink model exists, I want it. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent. I've already reserved my copy of the orange and polka-dot logo variant edition with foil-embossed Mushi sweat.

Griffith

Well, I picked up a copy at my local Borders, they had the orange edition, which is what I expected (report if this pink one is real or just some spec image).

This one wasn't as smelly as the last, I'm happy to say, but the ink still seemed very heavy in places, and it gave it a muddy look at times, but that could also be Inoue's doing. There was no fading though thankfully, or the awful cropping or lack thereof from the last couple of volumes. The translation and the fan trans deviate greatly in places, not just in choice of words but in total meaning, one thing will literally be made into something totally different, and I must admit, I find the fan version preferable in some instances. The Viz version is clearly more accurate and understandable, but sometimes feels so streamlined that it could possibly be at the expense of more subtle meanings, or maybe just a choice of words. Unfortunately it's something I can't judge for myself against the original, but the more I read the Viz edition and get used to it, the more I come to prefer it.

Top Bottom