Viz Media Licenses Berserk Film Trilogy

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
My wife just posted this article - thought some of you might be interested:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

First film will be released "this fall" apparently.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Too bad they didn't license the manga. :griffnotevil:

Glad we've got some idea when we'll see it. I really only know the (mostly) fine work Viz Media has done with Vagabond and Real, but what's their reputation when it comes to video releases?

Awesome news!

Griffith said:

Glad we've got some idea when we'll see it. I really only know the (mostly) fine work Viz Media has done with Vagabond and Real, but what's their reputation when it comes to video releases?

Nah Darkhorse is good. Viz would probably translate Griffith as Gliffith or something

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Griffith said:

They're not known for their punctuality when it comes to their release schedules. Viz Media's video releases are decent enough. Not too many blu-ray releases. But their known for working very closely with their Japanese counterparts, considered that their owned by Shōgakuka Shūeisha. I wouldn't expect more than a slip-cover from their physical release.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Griffith said:
Viz is great. It's them and Funimation that are the big two guys right now I think. Viz has produced some great dubs over the years, too. Ranma 1/2, Death Note, Bleach, etc... Depending on your opinion of course... I'd say they've been consistently good. And I think there's a good chance that with them they'd bring Berserk to select theaters.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's great news, licensing is the first step. But this article doesn't say whether the movies will get a theatrical release, or if they'll be straight to video.

Over on CrunchyRoll.com, they say this is for the DVD/Blu-Ray release, which will come out in the fall.

[quote author=http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/07/viz-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy]
Viz Media announced the acquisition of the Berserk film trilogy for future release on home video.

The first film will be released this Fall and as Viz Media currently has a working relationship with Warner Bros.[/quote]

Does anyone know if Viz-licensed movies have gotten theatrical releases in the past?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Walter said:
That's great news, licensing is the first step. But this article doesn't say whether the movies will get a theatrical release, or if they'll be straight to video.

Over on CrunchyRoll.com, they say this is for the DVD/Blu-Ray release, which will come out in the fall.

Does anyone know if Viz-licensed movies have gotten theatrical releases in the past?
Viz has its own small theater in Japan Town, San Francisco. They premiered the 20th Century Boys movie there the same day as in Japan and played the Gurren Lagann movie 2 there before it was out anywhere outside of theaters in Japan. They also played Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 before it was officially released in the US as well. So I think there's a pretty damn high chance of them playing Berserk in that theater. Probably not before the bluray comes out though. I don't think it'll come to any big theaters sadly.

http://www.newpeopleworld.com/films/films-4-2012/

Here's the site for the theater.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Uriel said:
My wife just posted this article - thought some of you might be interested:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

First film will be released "this fall" apparently.

Nice! Thanks for posting that, Uriel!

Griffith said:

No shit. Oh, what could have been (sigh). :sad:

SuperVegetto said:
Nah Darkhorse is good. Viz would probably translate Griffith as Gliffith or something

You mean like translating "Rakshas" as "Raksas"? Yeah, Dark Horse is awesome. :schierke:

Walter said:

I know that the Death Note live action movies that were licensed by Viz had limited theatrical releases around the US a few years ago. I'm not sure about any animated titles though.

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed; the idea of seeing Berserk on the big screen makes me tingle!

Dar Klink said:
Viz has its own small theater in Japan Town, San Francisco. They premiered the 20th Century Boys movie there the same day as in Japan and played the Gurren Lagann movie 2 there before it was out anywhere outside of theaters in Japan. They also played Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 before it was officially released in the US as well. So I think there's a pretty damn high chance of them playing Berserk in that theater. Probably not before the bluray comes out though. I don't think it'll come to any big theaters sadly.

http://www.newpeopleworld.com/films/films-4-2012/

Here's the site for the theater.

Fuck ye! I live in the Bay Area, thanks for the info :guts:

If the movie comes out in SF first, we East Coasters should fly n visit. Plushies, cosplaying, armor n all! Good news on the licensing front, thanks for the info Uriel and your wife.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Star of Milos had a theatrical release because of many fans demanding it. Now if only Berserk fans living in the US did so you could expect to see Berserk in many theaters in NA

SuperVegetto said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Star of Milos had a theatrical release because of many fans demanding it. Now only if only Berserk fans living in the US did so you could expect to see Berserk in many theaters in NA

Anyone up for starting/signing a petition? :ganishka: (But seriously. Anyone? :carcus:)

Dr.Legato

Art of War Supporter
So... Is it released yet? They finally came with the Bluray here last week or so, dvd has been released for months... (Netherlands, Belgium, France NOT VIZ) :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dr.Legato said:
So... Is it released yet? They finally came with the Bluray here last week or so, dvd has been released for months... (Netherlands, Belgium, France NOT VIZ) :daiba:
It's not due in the USA until November 27. Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-The-Golden-King-Blu-ray/dp/B008UE8ICK/ref=pd_cp_mov_0

Surprisingly enough I found it at my local Wal-Mart here in Florida! I went ahead and bought the one Blu Ray copy for myself, and all three DVD copies as Christmas presents, this will be my best chance to get my extended family involved with the Berserk movement!

Top Bottom