Voice Acting in Berserk Animation

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
KuraiDragoon said:
They responded to a couple of people's questions on their facebook page on the topic of bringing back the Media Blasters VAs:
I do not want the old VAs back. I don't care how funny their outtakes are; they didn't do a good job with the TV series. Why would they suddenly do well with the movie? I hope Viz does the right thing and hires better actors.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I really hope they don't have generic VA's that you see in every other English dub.

Like Jason Marsden http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDwvmISfbdw

I fucking hate that guy and he's everywhere. :femto:

I was going to post this in the Berserk project thread, until Walter redirected the discussion. Thanks Walter! :guts:

I'm not a fan of the English dub myself. It isn't that I have anything against English dubs per se; there are a few dubs that I find not only listenable, but enjoyable. The original Berserk dub just isn't one of them. I find it either too wooden or WAY too over the top for my tastes, particularly when it comes to minor characters.

I think a lot of it might have to do with when the anime was dubbed. It seems to me that quite a few dubs from this era, (with a couple of notable exceptions) still suffer a bit from an actor/directorial approach that treats anime like an American cartoon. The acting choices are very broad and almost comedically extreme even when the scene doesn't call for it.

There seems to be a gradual movement toward more subtle, layered and nuanced voice acting lately in English dubs. I'm just hoping that the new movies get that kind of treatment! And a cast that has the acting chops to pull it off admirably. I'll take a voice actor who has a wide, genuine range of vocal emotion over a VA who simply 'sounds' the part any day of the week!

Viz tends to typically use either Los Angeles or Canadian studios for their dubs. In recent years they've relied on Studiopolis, based in Los Angeles, for their dubs with titles that have broad appeal. These include Naruto, Bleach and the upcoming Tiger and Bunny. For smaller titles, they've used Salami Studios, also based in Los Angeles; such titles include Honey and Clover, The Prince of Tennis and Kekkaishi. I would expect Viz to use a Los Angeles studio the new Berserk films, but whether it's a union dub or not is another story; if it's a union dub, they would able to utilize talent not typically heard in anime dubs.

Having said that, NYAV Post, which worked on the series dub for Media Blasters, opened a recording studio in Los Angeles within the last few years, and their dubs now utilize both Los Angeles and New York talent. Viz might consider them now that the option's there, although to my knowledge they have yet to work with NYAV Post.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
When was the last time Viz used Ocean Studios for a dub? I'd like to hear those guys do Berserk, they're by far my favorite VA group.

The last thing Ocean Group worked on for Viz is the yet to be released Inuyasha: The Final Act, which was recorded in 2009 and 2010. That was more for continuity's sake as the previous series and films were done by Ocean back in the early 2000s. The Death Note franchise is the only other title I can think of that Viz and Ocean have collaborated on in the past five years. All their other titles have gone to various Los Angeles studios since the mid-2000s.

I was not sure where else to put this but I figured here would be a good spot because it might appeal to fans of the dub for the 97 anime(personally i prefer the original Japanese track but that's just me) anyway i did not make this I just stumble onto it randomly enjoy the musical use of new berserk music and old berserk voice acting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYY1LQC70vA

I'm definitely a sub guy, but the English dub cast was posted on Berserk's Viz FB page.

GUTS - MARC DIRAISON
YOUNG GUTS - COLIN DEPAULA
GRIFFITH - KEVIN T. COLLINS
CASCA - CAROLYN KERANEN
JUDEAU - CHRISTOPHER KROMER
CORKUS - DOUG ERHOLTZ
RICKERT - MICHELLE NEWMAN
PIPPIN - PATRICK SEITZ
ZODD - MICHAEL ALSTON BALEY
GAMBINO - RUSSELL NASH
YOUNG GUTS - COLIN DEPAULA
KING OF MIDLAND - CHRIS SMITH
BAZUSO - RUSSELL NASH
JULIUS - JESSE CORTI
CHARLOTTE - RACHAEL LILLIS
HASSAN - MICHAEL SORICH
ADONIS - COLIN DEPAULA
SIR RABAN - MARC THOMPSON
GASTON - SEAN SCHEMMEL
GENERAL GIEN - SEAN SCHEMMEL
MAJOR GENERAL - MARC THOMPSON
GIEN - SEAN SCHEMMEL
BLACK RAM CAPTAIN - PATRICK SEITZ
ANNA - LISA ORTIZ
ADDITIONAL VOICES -

CHRIS JAI ALEX
JAMISON BOAZ
MARIA DENTE
SEYQUE DEVUEX
CURTIS FORTIER
NATHAN JOHNSON
JUDE B. LANSTON
GARY LITTMAN
RUSSELL NASH
CHRIS NIOSI
PATRICK SEITZ
DIETRICH SETO
MICHAEL SINTERNIKLAAS
MICHAEL SORICH
MARC THOMPSON
AARON UMETANI

The Media Blasters dub is one of those dubs that's so over-the-top bad, it gets better with age. Some of those Guts line deliveries are gold.

Gobolatula said:
I do not want the old VAs back. I don't care how funny their outtakes are; they didn't do a good job with the TV series. Why would they suddenly do well with the movie?

To some, the laughable dub effort on the TV series would fit perfectly on the Berserk Anime Project :zodd:

Heck, considering how truncated the first 2 movies are, they could just fill in the blanks from the TV anime and have 95% of the movies' dialogue already dubbed. Sadly, American Guts' "NO! Not GRIFFITH!" will not be returning.

Walter said:
I see a lot of praise about the English voice work in the original Berserk anime. This 1.8mb wav file is dedicated to you people.

Oh, man, nostalgia bomb! The delivery is even more ripe (or half assed) than I remember. "He cut Earl's arm off and sent Dan to his grave" and "I've had enough of this bullshit" are among those I remembered over the past several years since seeing it. Listening to it again..... :isidro:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
Oh, man, nostalgia bomb! The delivery is even more ripe (or half assed) than I remember. "He cut Earl's arm off and sent Dan to his grave" and "I've had enough of this bullshit" are among those I remembered over the past several years since seeing it. Listening to it again..... :isidro:

I particularly like how Zodd sounds like he's turned on by Guts. "ahhuhhhHuhhhHuhhHawwwwww..!"

H

hellrasinbrasin

I'm happy that the old dub-cast is back together again too but this is going to be worse than anything we could possibly have imagined... Considering how over the top the script was just for character dialogue the dub-cast is going to be all over the place in these films.

Well...I suppose the English cast has, what, 15 years more experience now..? I guess that means the acting will have improved...? I...guess..?

I'm trying so hard to see Berserk movie silver linings right now that my eyes are starting to ache

After seeing who's involved in the dub of new film, it's nice to see the old voice actors from the TV series come back and play there characters again. I was worried for a minute thinking they were going to go the alternative which was celebrities voicing the main cast and additional voices done by actual voice actors. Now that the old gang of NYAV post is coming back reprising there roles again it might be interesting, also if they still are able to play there roles well as they did 15 years ago.

SuperVegetto said:
Ermm why is everyone saying they had the roles 15 years ago? They couldn't have dubbed it the year the series was still on going could they?

The series was originally dubbed back in 2002 if I'm not mistaken, sorry. 15 Years was how long it ran originally, the series itself was dubbed roughly 11 years ago correct me if I'm wrong.

Skullgrin140 said:
The series was originally dubbed back in 2002 if I'm not mistaken, sorry. 15 Years was how long it ran originally, the series itself was dubbed roughly 11 years ago correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're right now

Skullgrin140 said:

Oops! :farnese: That does sound more like it doesn't it? Sorry about that!

I'm going with the excuse that my poor, traumatized brain was clinging to the hope that more years+more practice=better dub this time around...and I wanted as many years as possible. :guts:

The Berserk dub was probably the worst I have ever heard; I couldn't imagine how anyone could stand listening to English speaking Casca for any extended period of time.

So to all the people who think that the Berserk dub was good:

So then what do you consider a bad dub?

Groovy Metal Fist said:
The Berserk dub was probably the worst I have ever heard; I couldn't imagine how anyone could stand listening to English speaking Casca for any extended period of time.

So to all the people who think that the Berserk dub was good:

So then what do you consider a bad dub?

Or Griffith :ganishka:

I watched a little of the dub purely for the lolz

Top Bottom