What are you listening to? (general music thread)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't know how serious the satanic theme is. I haven't followed Tobias Forge that closely. I have heard him talk about the importance of the metal and pop references to him; which mirrors then on his music. About the satanic theme... well, Sweden is not specially a religious country so this kind of stuff can be viewed as juvenile or silly, still. I would not be surprised if a heavy reason for the satanic theme was branding.

I think a lot of work went into developing the character(s) and themes, but yeah, it's aesthetics and stagecraft like Alice Cooper, and really like a lot of rock, and especially metal, bands pretending to be tough or scary somehow. This is almost a more honest "show" upfront.

I like both of them so I would not call Spillways horseshit.

I guess there wasn't a way to say that without it sounding extremely negative, but what I mean is that song has almost no relation to that aforementioned aesthetic or branding we were discussing, it's just a poppy glam rock song. So maybe it's not horseshit because it is exactly what it is.

About Prequelle... it is easier for me to compare it to Meliora and that's where it falls short.

For me too, thought it really dragged in the second half, but then I really dug in on subsequent listens; how can one not love a lengthy instrumental complete with saxophone solo? I had a very similar experience with Infestissumam, actually, and the albums preceding each of those respectively are the more straight-ahead guitar rock albums I like best. I'll have to give Impera another listen through the lens of it being kind of the synthesis and culmination of all this.

Thanks for the music; upon first listen, I find it much more enticing than Foo Fighters, indeed.

I like their big rockin' hits as much as the next guy but can not listen to one of their albums for the life of me, whereas I've already taken Dream Widow for a few of spins.

This is all very educational for me, because I've heard of Ghost but never bothered to dive in. Sounds like I should get started at Twenties! :troll:

I will say something nice about that song, which is the contrast between the 1920s and now and referring to today as "the 20s" while also sounding antiquated is cool. That's it. =)

But just try the first album, Opus Eponymous, it's pretty immediately representative of what good you're going to get out of this band and whether or not it's for you.

Aww, Probot was great! You know for some reason, I think of Lemmy more than any other on that album. :ganishka:

With good reason, his track was a standout and was pushed the hardest. I also think it's just objectively pretty memorable, from the title (SHAKE YER BLOOD!), music and lyrics on down, "Looking for relief, in your miserable life, you need some rock n roll, and you better get right!" It's so cheeky yet I feel the command to rock out right is genuine.

She said they aren't metal, which is correct. And that they're akin to Coldplay, which is correct as well.

Hey buddy, stop validating around with MY WIFE! :rickert:

All they are is a retro occult rock band with catchy pop choruses.
It's fine that you like them, everyone deserves to have easily digested bad taste here and there.

The former was a pretty perfect one-sentence summation actually. It would almost fit with a defense of their appeal if not for the second part. =)

All I'll say is, metal, rock, pop or whatever, those vocal and guitar melodies are consistently tasty as hell, easily digestible or not.

Last edited:

Griffith

I did give a few albums a try, but I think the lead singer's voice just grated on me. Personal preference, let's call it!

Certainly not my wife's preference either, and not usually mine (I like my male singing voices Hetfieldianly masculine, "OOH YEEEEAH YEEEEEEAAAAH!" :guts:), but I think that's why the creepy occult bit is important to the band's overall appeal outside of softer covers like If You Have Ghosts, and probably why I'm less enthralled with their recent glam rock leanings. I think my favorite vocal performance is the crescendo in the aforementioned Spirit, but that's of course greatly supported by the music as well.

Sounds like The Outlaw Torn covered by the Foo Fighters, so... Sure! Liked the groove.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
probably why I'm less enthralled with their recent glam rock leanings.
I'll tell you, if you just hit up Ghost via Spotify or Apple Music, you exclusively get served up that recent era as the first track. It'd be like if there was a Berserk playlist, and it kept playing "Ghosts" first.

Griffith

I'll tell you, if you just hit up Ghost via Spotify or Apple Music, you exclusively get served up that recent era as the first track. It'd be like if there was a Berserk playlist, and it kept playing "Ghosts" first.

At first I thought you were going to say it's like trying to get into the manga and only getting recommended the "new" continuation episodes! :magni:

Not that bad, but not far off from how these apps no longer compete to serve the user but to be served and make us pay our way out of their debt. I can't even play Jingle Bells off Spotify for my daughter ("here's the Jingle Bellz Playlist*!" *Jingle Bells not selectable without Premium), so what's the point of it? YouTube is better but I'm still seeing shit where I want to play like a Halloween playlist and all what's predominantly available, or recommended, are generic, and terrible, "live streamed" covers. The Internet economy has finally appropriately caught up to the real world where free stuff is worthless and if you don't pay top dollar you're getting the dollar store version... but now the crap it comes right to your phone!

Here, just listen to Con Clavi Con Dio and if you like it listen to some more:

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Internet economy has finally appropriately caught up to the real world where free stuff is worthless and if you don't pay top dollar you're getting the dollar store version... but now the crap it comes right to your phone!
Agreed ... but the other side of that annoyance is that if you DO submit to paying the premium $15/month for a music service, it is absolutely incredible the selection variety that's available on them. As someone who has been listening to music online constantly since like 1998, it still floors me how much is immediately accessible. The biggest problem I have is in reminding myself not to listen to the same 10 albums or so when I have access to the entire fucking world's history of music.

Judo

Midlands finest
Didn't even notice that Night Verses released a new album in September. Nice one.

And I've also been listening to some classical music lately. :guts:

Griffith

Agreed ... but the other side of that is that if you DO pay the premium $15/month for a music service, it is absolutely incredible the selection variety that's available on them. As someone who has been listening to music online constantly since like 1998, it still floors me how much is immediately accessible. The biggest problem I have is in reminding myself not to listen to the same 10 albums or so when I have access to the entire fucking world's history of music.

It's interesting how that works with music. Basically you can get everything for a reasonable price of what you'd spend on music anyway, but potentially get access to so much more for it (and then just listen to the same 10-12 albums you'd have spent the money on anyway =). Whereas television and movies are just recreating the cost of cable packages ala carte, only somehow worse because I THINK I'll be able to watch something but it's never on the services I have access to. I don't necessarily want someone to get a monopoly either, but the streaming bubble seemingly already burst, especially creatively where it was basically DOA once everyone threw their hat in, but maybe this comes full circle and all this streaming content just gets licensed to Netflix someday.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's interesting how that works with music. Basically you can get everything for a reasonable price of what you'd spend on music anyway, but potentially get access to so much more for it (and then just listen to the same 10-12 albums you'd have spent the money anyway =).

I'll subscribe alternately to Spotify and Apple Music for 3-month periods. Then I'll catch myself not using it or not being creative with how I use it, and I'll cancel. But I'm always back for more. :daiba: Honestly though, most of my music spending over the years has been on Bandcamp. I love finding obscure shit on there. It's been a better discovery tool for me than the suggested tracks on streaming services. I'll spend an evening listening to a dozen or so bands and end up buying an album or two each time.

the streaming bubble seemingly already burst, especially creatively where it was basically DOA once everyone threw their hat in, but maybe this comes full circle and all this streaming content just gets licensed to Netflix someday.
This is a bit astray from this topic, but I think if I were single, this wouldn't be a problem. I'd just cancel services I don't use. Then if something I want to watch is on it, I'd re-up for a month or so and remind myself to cancel. No problem! But if you map my family across the different streaming services, we use about 5 of them. I use HBO and that's it. But I can't cancel Netflix because my daughter uses it; son uses Disney for Star Wars crap; wife uses Hulu; and I can't cancel Prime because it's Prime, etc. etc. They've got families by the balls, and they know it.

Griffith

Coming full circle, your approach to premium music apps is basically how I handle streamers like Disney+ where if they're giving me a deal, like $1.99 a month for three months and my kids wanna watch Bluey or some shit, then I'm there for that $6 and whatever I can watch before getting back out again. HBO Max IS shockingly pretty useful, as in they have a lot of what I want rather than everything but, and yeah, Prime is Prime. At least I could watch Invincible when Omni-Man was coming to MK1. I think I was mostly excited something I randomly thought to watch was actually available to me without the aforementioned special offer machninations being necessary, "You mean I can just watch something I'm already paying for!?" :ganishka:

I often get bored of what's available on AppleTV or Netflix or Hulu or Disney+ or MAX and I tend to forget I have access to Prime. There's always some B-movie or something on there to check out. Also - hell yeah @ new Invincible, but I can't watch it all at once cos my wife can only take how brutal/ gruesome some of it is in small chunks.

It's been a weird year for music for me, with having just enough time to listen to whatever projects my friends are involved in, apart from a handful of new albums bought that were released this year.

Can't wait to release this on vinyl in a few months cos all pressing plants are backordered/ delayed (thanks Amazon) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMQ9m8Qtye8

Last edited:
To me, Spotify is the best. I share it with a friend with whom we buy the couple's package or something. There's where I have my mood-playlists, and enjoy it a lot. I can also listen to the Skullcast there. :ubik:

I have been using bandcamp recently because of a band which complete work isn't on Spotify. What a band! I saw them live a couple of weeks ago.

I don't buy streaming services because I'm just bored of their content for the time being. I might come to one of them at the right time. Probably, Crunchyroll.

Anyway, this is what I am listening to right now:

Been on a Autechre kick

Judo

Midlands finest

Top Bottom