What Are You Playing?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Before that, I played Golvellius. It is a SMS game and is pure fun. Even though it has janky controls (and a plethora of strange bugs near the end of the game), I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys games from that console generation. Give it a go on an emulator and you'll have a bit of fun.

Wow, the Master System, huh? I'd never heard of this game, but it looks like an overt Legend of Zelda rip-off. I'm intrigued!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Silent Hill 2 - Finally playing this classic after Aaz sold me on it in person in what feels like a decade ago. Playing on the road no less. It plays like Resident Evil on pills by way of Twin Peaks. Weird.
What version are you playing?

All these horror games have me wanting to replay Silent Hill 2. Though I really don't want to play the "remastered" version of the game.

Doom 3 is certainly an interesting game. Not quite like the other Doom games but that's fine. I actually started it last week, the atmosphere is what really gets me. It scared the shit out of me. I've enjoyed what I've played so far. Doom 64 is also unlike the other doom games, it's very puzzle based, lots of action and murder still, just a lot more thought put into level design, I think. Some people consider it to be the "true doom 3", and I can see where they are coming from, but ultimately doom 3 is doom 3, lol.
I think Doom 3 has one of the best, if not the best, beginnings in a horror game. The way they perfectly designed it to increase your feelings of isolation and disconnection from other people before unleashing Hell on you is a work of art. It gave me, a full grown adult, that terrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I hadn’t gotten since I was a kid watching horror movies for the first time.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Is it the first Silent Hill that you're playing to ?

Yep, back in my console war days I was strictly a Resident Evil man. I needed literal monsters trying to eat my brain, not my mind or something!

All these horror games have me wanting to replay Silent Hill 2. Though I really don't want to play the "remastered" version of the game.

I'm playing the "remastered" version of the game. =)

I heard bad things too, like it somehow looks worse than the original (which I could totally understand from an art direction standpoint, I feel the same way about MGS, especially with the use of fog here), though I did make sure to put on the original voices for authenticity (sorry Troy Baker, you'll just have to voice all the other games). Anyway, I'm playing on PS Now so I didn't really choose which version.:shrug:

I played the original version of silent hill 2 that was ported from PS2 to Xbox with an extra mini chapter added on where you play as that woman (Maria? Mary?). I’ve seen a lot of videos that talk about how Konami did a bad job with the fog in the HD collection. Does anyone know if it’s still as bad as it was when t was released? I was thinking of getting it and also playing silent hill 3.

Last edited:
I've just started a play-through of DS2. I previously played it at launch and remember being greatly disappointed. It felt as though it was a rushed and unfinished experience. Well, I'm still disappointed; it's just very boring and drab. I love the whole series and have played each game 2-5+ times, but I can't bring myself to play more of DS2. Does it get better?

After a few hours of DS2, I started Code Veronica for a second time. Absolutely amazing game and I am at the Chris part. Though, I got pissed off when a Hunter ran out of nowhere and killed me. Still, it is easily one of the best RE games.

Wow, the Master System, huh? I'd never heard of this game, but it looks like an overt Legend of Zelda rip-off. I'm intrigued!

Give it a go. It's janky (the controls are less precise than say Zelda), but it has its own charm. And yeah, the Master System is a damn good console. It was more popular in PAL regions than NA. I personally think that it has aged more gracefully than the NES, especially with titles like the Wonder Boy series. If you are looking for a better Zelda clone, there is also Golden Axe Warrior.

I played the original version of silent hill 2 that was ported from PS2 to Xbox with an extra mini chapter added on where you play as that woman (Maria? Mary?). I’ve seen a lot of videos that y’all about how Konami did a bad job with the fog in the HD collection. Does anyone know if it’s still as bad as it was when t was released? I was thinking of getting it and also playing silent hill 3.
No, it is still horrible. Just download it through PCSX2 and don't bother playing the unfinished version of SH3. It's not that hard to emulate and I'm saying that as a person who is tech illiterate.

Griffith

I can't bring myself to play more of DS2. Does it get better?

After a few hours of DS2, I started Code Veronica for a second time. Absolutely amazing game

Hmmm, to me those games are sort of kindred spirits, unique in their respective series, but not necessarily for all the right reasons. And to answer your question, DS2 pretty much is what it is and doesn't drastically change as it goes along, for better or worse. It's actually one of the more consistent and static feeling Souls games from start to finish IMO. So, if you don't like it at the beginning you probably won't by the end either.

Master System is a damn good console. It was more popular in PAL regions than NA. I personally think that it has aged more gracefully than the NES, especially with titles like the Wonder Boy series.

No disrespect to the Master System, but that's a pretty bold statement considering NES still has literally hundreds of classic games. I mean, I think classic Sega was cooler than Nintendo, but not better, then or now.

So, if you don't like it at the beginning you probably won't by the end either.
Thanks, you'll save me some time. I just had that craving for a FromSoftware title and have already played the other games enough. Maybe Otogi will suffice?

No disrespect to the Master System, but that's a pretty bold statement considering NES still has literally hundreds of classic games. I mean, I think classic Sega was cooler than Nintendo, but not better, then or now.
I grew up playing both the NES and Master System. It is a bold statement, but I believe the NES prioritises quantity over quality (with a lot of junk in-between the diamonds). When going on an emulator, I find it quite difficult to play NES titles for periods longer than 30 minutes. I just get incredibly bored with most games because they usually don't hold up well, except Zelda, MM2 and River City Ransom. The Master System is different for me. Wonder Boy III: The Dragons Trap has to be my favourite 8-bit game. It could've been released yesterday and still be appreciated. There is also a few other titles that are still worth while, like Phantasy Star (probably the best RPG from that era), Golden Axe Warrior, Kenseiden and so on. These are titles I could play for endless hours. The type of games that you feel like 5 minutes have passed in real life but it has been 3 hours. However, I am probably still speaking from a point of bias; so do not take my opinion too seriously.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Wasteland - Somehow, I missed this one when I first put my list together. For those who aren't familiar with Wasteland, it's a post-apocalyptic RPG from 1988, directed by Brian Fargo. Fargo would eventually go on to be an executive producer on Fallout, and it's clear from the outset that Wasteland was a big inspiration for the Fallout series. Despite it's quaint mechanics and storyline, I really enjoyed Wasteland and had a hard time tearing myself away from it. If they can get past the outdated graphics and mechanics, fans of Fallout will probably get a kick out of this one.

The Elder Scrolls: Arena - I gave it a shot, but after an hour or so my eyes were killing me. I hated the controls, too. Although I appreciated the fact that they tried to make melee combat more interactive (you have to hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse in order to strike), it was still awkward. Plus, the game is just too damn big, if that makes any sense. Good on 'em for trying to make the most realistic world possible, but I'm a gamer who needs a little direction. I heard The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall is even bigger, so I'm going to skip it for now, too, unless I receive an outcry or something. :ganishka:

Griffith

Thanks, you'll save me some time. I just had that craving for a FromSoftware title and have already played the other games enough. Maybe Otogi will suffice?

No problem, and props on Otogi because I had to look that up. You sure know your Sega releases!

I grew up playing both the NES and Master System. It is a bold statement, but I believe the NES prioritises quantity over quality (with a lot of junk in-between the diamonds).

I won't argue your opinion on the depth of those gaming experiences (though I will say NES did have a few more than the three you credited it =), but this reminds of the PS2 argument over whether its endless library of mediocre shit takes some of the shine off its many classics. To me it just comes down to how many diamonds were produced, however much junk ferried them on their way. I do know what you mean by an average NES game though, there was no shortage of really lazy or frustratingly busted shit you wouldn't want to play for more than a few minutes. You have me at a disadvantage though because I haven't played enough Master System to comment on its batting average, so your bias is better than mine.

I really enjoyed Wasteland and had a hard time tearing myself away from it. If they can get past the outdated graphics and mechanics, fans of Fallout will probably get a kick out of this one.

I've been meaning to play the whole Wasteland series for years but have regrettably never taken the plunge. I think it's the idea of it being more tactical/group oriented than Fallout that puts me off, but I could be way off base on how significant that is.

I heard The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall is even bigger, so I'm going to skip it for now, too, unless I receive an outcry or something. :ganishka:

I tried playing Daggerfall as a kid and I think it broke my brain. Like, I couldn't even comprehend it or how to play and would just wander aimlessly in the snow until getting into a fight with town guards and dying. It's an evil, evil game. =)

Man, PC RPGs were weird in the 90s; anybody ever play one of the old Might and Magic games?

MK11 - Well, now I have it for PC and PS4 where I've put in dozens more hours and started playing a few online tournaments. In one today I thought I had a set win, but it was a "Pro Kompetition," so 3 rounds out of 5, not 2 of 3. I did not adjust to this revelation in time and promptly dropped the remaining matches. =) Oh well, it's a learning experience, I was competitive even in the matches/sets I lost, and probably could have won the second set if I'd just been a little cheesier (I mean, I Flawless'd the guy one round in the match I won). I main Shang Tsung and will stick with him if competitive, but if he's getting stuffed I'm not above switching to Sheeva if the match up is good or I want to change the pace/control the match. I don't like abusing dragon drop though and try to play her more straight up, using the drop more to mix things up for other attacks like shokan snag, but sometimes that feels like I'm giving my opponent more opportunities out of pride and pissing matches away when she might've just stomped 'em out in the end. The players that inspired me to learn Sheeva sure had no such compunctions, and I never feel this way with Shang or my other subs, but then they don't have totally unique unblockable moves that can completely change how the match is played.:shrug:

Last edited:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Thanks, you'll save me some time. I just had that craving for a FromSoftware title and have already played the other games enough. Maybe Otogi will suffice.
Idk, if you have that craving Id still recommend playing DS2. Some parts are goofy but some levels and bosses are pretty great. Especially the dlc. I found the dlc maps to be sone of the best and most challenging parts in the whole franchise. Most of it is designed for coop I think which made it really fucking difficult for me since i did it all solo. That damn blizzard section in the snow level with three bosses at the same time probably took me more time than anything else in all of the games:mozgus:

Last edited:

Griffith

Oburi made a better case not to play it than me. =)

DS2 is basically like Souls cut with bleach to poison sick addicts, "Hey man, you ever done a boss four-way to get a Souls fix!? I have!" *compulsively scratches neck bloody before keeling over*

I say this as a DS2 addict myself; the first step is admitting there's a problem. But, speaking of the snow level, maybe I should solo that king asshole with the giant flame sword... if I get enough of those melted knight souls something good happens... *scratches neck* Gotta go!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Man, PC RPGs were weird in the 90s; anybody ever play one of the old Might and Magic games?

I played MM6 when it came out. Enjoyable game overall. Heroes of M&M had gotten me interested in the franchise at the time.
Regarding the NES vs Master System thing, I don't think a list of best games from both systems would look good for Sega. NES all the way here, and same for the SNES vs Mega Drive (I had both consoles).

Oburi

All praise Grail
I loved the Heroes of Might and Magic games. Can't even remember which ones I played but they were awesome high fantasy games.

Griffith

I played MM6 when it came out. Enjoyable game overall.

That's specifically the one I recall; I'm still haunted by the little character portraits at the bottom of the screen.

Regarding the NES vs Master System thing, I don't think a list of best games from both systems would look good for Sega. NES all the way here, and same for the SNES vs Mega Drive (I had both consoles).

Yeah, however many bad games NES had it also had a overabundance of classics as well. I agree on the SNES vs Genesis too, of which I also had both, though Sega had some pretty cool, unique games and features of its own like online play going way back in the 90s (they practically had streaming with the Sega Channel =). I love retro Sega for not only their respectable console and arcade operations, but for their mad scientist experiments:

4be92debb0172bfede22664bf73b1525.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've been meaning to play the whole Wasteland series for years but have regrettably never taken the plunge. I think it's the idea of it being more tactical/group oriented than Fallout that puts me off, but I could be way off base on how significant that is.

I haven't played the 2nd or 3rd entries yet (they've gotten good reviews), but I highly recommend playing the original. It's a lot more like old 8-bit RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in terms of how it plays. Very old-school.

I tried playing Daggerfall as a kid and I think it broke my brain. Like, I couldn't even comprehend it or how to play and would just wander aimlessly in the snow until getting into a fight with town guards and dying. It's an evil, evil game. =)

I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking. I've heard Morrowind changes things up a bit for the better, so I'll try it out one day.

I started Secret of Mana (surprisingly never played it even though I love the SNES to death) after a really busy week. While not particularly amazing, the OST and pixel-art give it this really charming fantasy atmosphere. I heard everyone complain about the AI, but I haven't experienced any problems thus far. The combat is also addictive.

Idk, if you have that craving Id still recommend playing DS2. Some parts are goofy but some levels and bosses are pretty great. Especially the dlc.
Sure, I'll give it another go. I feel as though I was being harsh on DS2. However, it still kind of feels like a cheap cash-in of DS1 (if you know what I mean). Bit unrelated, but I've been a lurker on this website for quite some time and I remember that profile picture (I even saved it onto my desktop). I actually had a classmate once watch me as I was browsing my desktop and he gave me an odd look when he saw that Schierke image. I just want to ask where you got that picture from? It's a bloody great one.

DS2 is basically like Souls cut with bleach to poison sick addicts, "Hey man, you ever done a boss four-way to get a Souls fix!? I have!" *compulsively scratches neck bloody before keeling over*
That analogy gave me a good laugh. You make DS2 sound like a herion addicts dose of meth he gets from a chemist, if you know what I mean?

I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking. I've heard Morrowind changes things up a bit for the better, so I'll try it out one day.
If you didn't like Arena, I really do not recommend Daggerfall. The game also makes my eyes hurt. I get the worst migraines from an hour of play. Daggerfall is the epitome of quantity > quality. However, please have a go at Morrowind.

Morrowind was my favorite Elder Scrolls game.
Fine taste.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Bit unrelated, but I've been a lurker on this website for quite some time and I remember that profile picture (I even saved it onto my desktop). I actually had a classmate once watch me as I was browsing my desktop and he gave me an odd look when he saw that Schierke image. I just want to ask where you got that picture from? It's a bloody great one.
As the text below it indicates, it's an original by Grail, one of our artistically inclined members. She's like an unofficial avatar creator since she's made several, including my previous one from many years ago (I might be due for an upgrade actually :carcus:)

Finally worked up the motivation to install the Xstation ODE I bought a couple weeks ago and boy am I glad I did. I'd had a mod-chipped PS1 for a while, but didn't play it a whole lot due to various disc drive woes. I'd been through a couple replacement drives and every one had problems reading most games regardless of disc quality or laser pot adjustments. The Xstation obviously solves all that since it's just running the disc images off an SD card, so the whole experience has been much better with it.

I finished Final Fantasy IX yesterday and even managed to beat Ozma for the first time. Holy shit, what a fuckin boss fight. Not only can one of his attacks potentially wipe your whole party, but if you manage to survive he'll typically follow that up with another devastating attack to finish the job. Basically comes down to RNG in the end regardless of your setup/strategy. Another fun quirk are the ATB shenanigans programmed into his AI. Apparently if you issue a command when Ozma isn't in a battle animation, his ATB meter will automatically fill up and he'll get move priority over whoever you issued the command to. Doesn't help that, like almost every other boss in the game, he has some pretty tempting steals that make the first part of the battle even more tedious if you decide to go for them. Took me more than a couple tries, but I was able to pull through eventually. The end bosses are kind of a joke after Ozma so actually beating the game was a piece of cake. :ganishka:

I just beat Bloodborne. Finally beat a FromSoftware game.:ubik: Struggled a lot trying to get through Central Yharnam first time but once I got the hang of the combat I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gascoigne, Logarius, Laurence, and Orphan of Kos each wrecked my shit over a dozen times but I didn’t have much trouble the rest of the bosses.

Have a friend interested in trying out Dark Souls 3 (she hasn’t played any Souls games) so I’m playing a bit again to get ready to help her in co-op. Never co-oped any of them so I’m excited. After Bloodborne I miss having a gun.

Griffith

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Oh yeah, I never posted a picture but I did complete this shit a few weeks ago:

Zo0ItrivmGHYVFog4Sw0JNJ7-FoBWPbBUNyuZFhD2RThN138P2DH7t6DqrPQmGfid2URfZyVErlM8Stjipezdj6mzu4sEg7_Ys3isfQv2LPTv8HMr-C_eXH429AGuHZw3qq7egPaouk=w240

Losing the requisite 99 fights, in best of 5 sets no less, was easily the longest, hardest part. It took me days.

I highly recommend playing the original. It's a lot more like old 8-bit RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in terms of how it plays. Very old-school.

That actually does sound very cool, like the equivalent of Metal Gear 1 for Fallout.

I started Secret of Mana (surprisingly never played it even though I love the SNES to death) after a really busy week. While not particularly amazing, the OST and pixel-art give it this really charming fantasy atmosphere. I heard everyone complain about the AI, but I haven't experienced any problems thus far. The combat is also addictive.

Aaz and Wally convinced me to play it retroactively years ago. Well worth it, especially for that gameplay as you allude to.

I feel as though I was being harsh on DS2. However, it still kind of feels like a cheap cash-in of DS1 (if you know what I mean).
That analogy gave me a good laugh. You make DS2 sound like a herion addicts dose of meth he gets from a chemist, if you know what I mean?

I like to say it's truly the darkest of Souls; it's Dark Souls gone hollow. In a certain sense, you can't get more authentic to the experience of what the game's represent than that. It was actually the first Souls I played after I couldn't get DS1 working on my PC at first. It has the most interesting multiplayer too and a lot of other features unique to it. It'll always be the black sheep for better or worse.

I just beat Bloodborne. Finally beat a FromSoftware game.:ubik: Struggled a lot trying to get through Central Yharnam first time but once I got the hang of the combat I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gascoigne, Logarius, Laurence, and Orphan of Kos each wrecked my shit over a dozen times but I didn’t have much trouble the rest of the bosses.

Congrats, the best and one of the most challenging too with DLC! Yep, those latter three are tough even if you know what you're doing against them (though if you interrupt Logarius' 2nd phase transformation he's not so bad). I think I had beginner's luck against Laurence the first time and so thought he was easy, but he's disabused me of that notion every subsequent NG+ in some truly hellish matches. At that point he can basically one or two hit you no matter how high your level or fire protection. Kos, or some say Kosm, is the most rewarding if you really learn him and quick kill him with parries, backstabs and visceral attacks.

Have a friend interested in trying out Dark Souls 3 (she hasn’t played any Souls games) so I’m playing a bit again to get ready to help her in co-op. Never co-oped any of them so I’m excited. After Bloodborne I miss having a gun.

Well, depending on how you used it you could always try a crossbow for range and a shield or rapier-style weapon for parries, though I never had as much luck with that stuff in DS3. I played DS3 before Bloodborne, and like 300 hours worth so I loved it, but frankly I haven't been able to go back to it after BB.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
That actually does sound very cool, like the equivalent of Metal Gear 1 for Fallout.

Exactly! One of my favorite parts of the game is the Paragraphs. At certain points, it’ll ask you to read Paragraph such-and-such. You open or print the Paragraphs .pdf included with the game, find the specific number and read a section of text. It was a great way to save memory in 1988, while still telling a decent story.

Anyone else check out the Resident Evil Village demo last weekend? I had a blast and am so excited for this game and (and also the Castle demo this weekend). The Village feels so atmospheric, cozy and creepy and the game just OOZES RE4 vibes. Besides the rural setting, the way you get swarmed and hunted by huge mobs of enemies ( I had 8 on me at one time) and able to barricade yourself inside buildings brought back some memories of certain other demo I played over and over again in my youth.

On top of that, I friggin shot a crow and it dropped money. I saw a shiny glint in a high up statue that when shot dropped a crystal. The merchant....the castle....It's honestly really surprising to me that we have those rumours floating around of a RE4 remake because this honestly feels like it!

Besides that stuff, a potentially related lore note. When I killed on of the enemies it dropped a crystalized skull. I wonder why the skull was crystalizing?

Also, from the initial reveal trailer they revealed a sort makeshift looking fetus monument/fetish thing with 6 black wings. Along with lots of shots of flying crows, I was leaning towards a sort of bird flu virus take with this game. I replayed 7 to hyped for 8 and might have discovered a big brain foreshadow. In the initial walking part of the game. You discover some body parts and then some crows fly away from them and startle you. You then duck down underneath that pig leg/saw blade fetish and what do you find on the ground? 3 dead crows (six wings....ooooooooooo!)

Anyways, I am super stoked for this game and I'm sure form past RE conversations I've seen on here a lot of you are too!

Griffith

Funny you mention the RE8 demo. I was annoyed by the PS5 only one, so when I heard about this the other day I downloaded it to my PS4, then I started it up and saw a countdown to the "next demo," which begged the question; what the fuck is Capcom doing?

Oh... this reminds me that the reason Capcom is in position to have so many make-good "comebacks," like RE7, RE2make, or the last couple seasons of SF5, is they're fucking up the other half the time in the first place! Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? I wanted to play this game without a demo, but all this exclusionary FOMO bullshit is aggravating and alienating. I'm honestly considering wasting my time and money elsewhere. Remember when people were annoyed by regular DLC or pay-to-win loot boxes? Gaming is going dangerously close in the direction where you're going to need to pay a subscription fee just to turn your system or games on to play by yourself, and I'm afraid it will work. So, my thoughts on RE8 are I think I'm ready for the pandemic to be over and to stop exposing myself to this kind of shit just to play some corny ass game about werewolves and vampires in a haunted castle. I'm sure it's cooler than that, but there's currently no way for me to confirm this. =)

Top Bottom