What Are You Playing?

FFXII's gameplay was great but the story sucked, so it's definitely not a contender.

The videos I’ve seen of FF12 make it seem kind of an MMO style of combat. Similar to something like xenoblade chronicles. Where you move your character around and select different commands but it’s not as fast paced as a game like the FF7 remake. It didn’t look appealing to me personally. It reminded me to much of combat from a game like world of Warcraft. Maybe that’s a really aweful comparison and I’m gettingnnit wrong? I’ve not actually played it but I’d like to be proven wrong. I enjoyed FF9 for the classic feel. But I also enjoy action RPGs if they’re done to my taste. In terms of gameplay. I agree the story of 9 was nothing to write home about.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Bloodborne - So last I wrote I was whining about how tough Ludwig was on NG++++ because I couldn't just R1 spam him with my greatsword on the first try, but after a few days knocking out a half a dozen bosses on BL4 I finally came back to this, leveled up the Saw Cleaver (I only ever got it to +6!?), popped a beast pellet and some fire paper and cut that motherfucker down like it twas no thang. BL4 definitely changes the way you play for the better. On that front, up next is the Shadows, I feel much better about my strategy for them, as in I actually have one, but I'm maxing out my weapon, gems and runes as much as possible first just to be sure.

I also have this problem. It doesn't help that there's no logic behind it (lvl 1 doors behind a lvl 4 door). I draw a mini map as I go along, helps a lot.

That's smart, I should really do that now since I basically need to check every door again for the reason you mentioned, but I'm too lazy to be that organized I'm afraid.

Beat Sekiro for the third time. Holy fuck I love this game so much. It's so fun.

But finally, I am Soulsborned out. I've played all of these games to death that I can finally move on for 10 minutes or so.

Why DON'T I feel this way about Sekiro? I thought I was Souls'd out but now I'm playing double Bloodborne essentially and loving it. For the record, my favorites in order are probably Bloodborne, Dark Souls III, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls (it's still the classic, but showing its age and DS3 essentially modernized it), DS2, Nioh... and then Sekiro ahead of knockoffs like Lords of the Fallen or The Surge that I really couldn't get into (anybody played Mortal Shell?). I just never clicked with or enjoyed the combat like those others, whereas Bloodborne somehow raised the skill cap AND was more fun. I'm probably just lazy/suck, but it was really a slog getting through that game, but I did still play NG+.

Also I'd say since 9 but I think that one's appeal was more in the characters/setting/music than story itself or I don't know too late to edit.
Don't even remember FFIX's story...

Something about crystals and an alien race of humans with monkey tails. I would have just stuck to the crystals and classic classes.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 is getting a ps5/series s version. Everyone who already owns the game will get a free upgrade. For pc owners as well.

Although I hope that I’ll have finished my witcher play through until then, seeing an improved version will be nice since the game is good looking to begin with.
I think I’ll only watch some footage of it but for those who want to play it (again) it’s a nice move by CD project red.

Griffith

Bloodborne - Completed my BL4 run to finally awake from this Soulsborne nightmare... Or follow up with my NG++++ character in the DLC, or maybe do a Bloodborne style DS3 run, at least until the Demon's Souls remake is out!

Actually, I was pretty burnt by the end of this, no more challenges for a while, thank you. Need to get back to and finish MG2 anyway.

Update:

Dark Souls III - Was trying to play this like a continuation of BB but couldn't get past the Wall of Lothric before shutting it down. I realise I haven't been able to play/enjoy DS3 since I played BB the first time; the gameplay, lore and visual design are just such a step back (let's switch it and DS1 back on my ranks =). So...

Bloodborne - Now I'm doing NG+, had a fun fight with Vicar Amelia by really trading blows and relying on rally, and replaying the Chalice Dungeons, because, hey, it's like 20 more bosses! The early dungeons are a little too easy for my NG+ Hunter though, maybe I should do them with my BL4 character... :magni:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Suikoden II last Friday. I messed up a couple times on my first playthrough, so I wasn't able to get all 108 Stars of Destiny, but I had a great time with it. I liked it a lot more than Suikoden, and I'm looking forward to playing the next one in the series. I was a little bummed that Luca Blight didn't end up being the main antagonist, but I liked the ending I saw and I'm eager to see the best ending possible one of these days.

I tried playing Sonic Adventure, but it was so damn glitchy I couldn't get through it. Plus, the exploration sections were incredibly boring. The game was gorgeous for its time, but the gameplay wasn't up to Super Mario 64's level, so I stopped playing after the third Action stage. I've heard the second game is better, but we'll see...

Right now, I'm playing Silent Hill, which is strange, because that's what my city looks like right now. My wife and I live in western Washington state, so we're covered in smoke and ash from all the wildfires (hope everyone living in California, Oregon and Washington state is staying safe). I like the game so far, but it's certainly nerve-wracking. I'm exploring the school at the moment, so I'm not too far in.

Griffith

Bloodborne - Simultaneously playing NG± and Chalices on PS Now and NG+++ whatever on my disc copy with DLC. I've got 99 Arc on the latter so I can take out the likes of Maria with the Executioner's Gloves, easy peasey, but Laurence was still a pain in the ass. He can basically one shot you at any time, even fully geared for fire, so I brought my old friends Valtr and the Whirligig Saw to even the odds and finished him off spamming A Call Beyond. Man that Saw is so much fun, along with all the other Old Hunter weapons, that DLC is probably one of the best ever made.

After that I did some clean up on the Witches, Logarius, etc. Because I'm at similar points in both games sometimes I forgot what I've already done in one or the other (like I killed the Cainhurst hunter the other night only to find him back the next day, because that was in the other game =). It happened again with Amygdala, and I've basically been taking each boss out twice consecutively. In NG± I took out Moon Presence twice because I teleported out before getting the echoes or credit for the win (it was just as "Nightmare Slain" came up). I go back and he's alive again in there, and I had just best him and Gehrman back to back! Oh well, no problem beating him again, only this time I teleport late and get the end cutscene before I've collected all chunks, etc! So I shut off the game and luckily it didn't move me to NG±±...

I think Kos is all that's left before Gehrman and the Moon Presence in my other game, and I'm thinking maybe I'll go for NG+6 on my full PS4 version and in the PS Now copy my endgame is basically online Chalices on PC; BlooDiablorne.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I finished Suikoden II last Friday. I messed up a couple times on my first playthrough, so I wasn't able to get all 108 Stars of Destiny, but I had a great time with it. I liked it a lot more than Suikoden, and I'm looking forward to playing the next one in the series. I was a little bummed that Luca Blight didn't end up being the main antagonist, but I liked the ending I saw and I'm eager to see the best ending possible one of these days.

Yea I highly recommend a playthrough with full completion of the 108 stars as well as the endings that come with it. Luca Blight is such a great villain and when I first played the game in the 90's, I had no idea where it ended so that epic confrontation with Luca where you fight him repeatedly with multiple parties, as far as I knew, was the end of the game. One of the most surprising aspects is finding out it's only around halfway done after defeating one the most twisted and evil villains ever, only to have your once best friend take his place. Such a great game, my favorite of all time, and Im glad you enjoyed it man.

Unfortunately, that's the high point for the series. The transition to 3D never added anything to JRPGs, for the most part, imo. To me, those games were never about the graphics. It was always about the story and the characters and the world. Like a classic novel. Every time they tried something new with the fighting systems or the graphics or whatever, it was almost always a detriment. In fact, like a book, the simple 2d sprite graphics and text bubbles from quaint little pictures (not to mention walls of numbered stats and experience points for countless spells, weapons and characters) and a straightforward, yet deeply nuanced and rich turn based combat system not just for party battles, but also one on one duels and big strategy army battles, allowed players to use their imagination to fill in the blanks. Suikoden 2 did this the best imo.

Damn now I want to play an old school RPG. Has anyone tried any of those remakes they have ps4 network? Secret of Mana is up there but I heard the new version kind of sucks.

Last edited:

Griffith

Bloodborne - So, I was feeling very zen-like taking on the Orphan today, enjoying the process and the dance to the point I was glad when I lost so I could keep fighting him. This led to a super clean win tonight where I took 1 hit and killed him in 3 just about consecutive visceral attacks, plus a couple of follow up slashes for good measure, in no time at all. Like, by the time I hit him with the 2nd visceral and he finished transforming into his second phase I had already killed him with the third.

Update: I've been happily rushing bosses in NG++++ whatever since that Kos fight, thinking I'm going to do max NG+ and max level my character (I'm about 120 levels away), then after that... another BL4 run maybe? On my PS Now character I finished the fixed story Chalice Dungeons and am now farming gems and echoes. If that oft-rumored remaster ever comes out I'm going to select Cruel Fate as an origin and go for max arcane and vitality, minimum bloodtinge, and 40-50 everything else. I've got a lot of Bloodborne irons in the fire. =)

Mario Maker - I haven't gotten heavy into the level creation yet but am enjoying the pre-packaged levels it comes with. They're almost like Super Mario Bros meets WarioWare: quick, fun and usually based around a clever design gimmick.

Demon's Souls - Had to dip back into these waters to truly see if a $500+ remake is worth it. Started a new character, completed the tutorial, and started exploring. We'll see how far I get, but I kind of don't see the point when I have Bloodborne right there plus Elden Ring and every other future game I want is also coming to PS4 or PC. :shrug:

Mortal Shell - Looks good but feels a little slow and heavy, more like Lords of the Fallen than Souls; not a good sign.

Nioh 2 - It's on sale in the PS Store now for half price. With the character creation feature it's more Souls-like than ever, but they still don't have a control preset that mirrors Souls controls, and seemingly won't even let me change some buttons under the custom setting, like I can't switch the dodge and interact button for reasons unknown. I should probably just get used to it this time. Anyway, feels fast and fluid like the original, which is really the only non FromSoft Souls-like that I put as much time into as the originals. Also, Nioh > Sekiro.

Last edited:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I beat Silent Hill last weekend, but I got one of the bad endings. I thought I explored pretty thoroughly, but I guess I missed quite a bit. I’ll try again one day (probably before playing the sequel). Since then, I’ve been playing Baldur’s Gate. I’m only a few hours in and I’m hooked. Hoping to play a bunch this weekend.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I beat Silent Hill last weekend, but I got one of the bad endings. I thought I explored pretty thoroughly, but I guess I missed quite a bit. I’ll try again one day (probably before playing the sequel).

It's easy to miss to be honest. There's some liquid you need to grab from... a gas station I want to say? Then throw it at the boss or something.

I’ve been playing Baldur’s Gate. I’m only a few hours in and I’m hooked. Hoping to play a bunch this weekend.

Don't forget to gather your party before venturing forth!

It's easy to miss to be honest. There's some liquid you need to grab from... a gas station I want to say? Then throw it at the boss or something.

You must find the plastic bottle in the kitchen of the hospital.
Then go to Kaufmann's office and put some of the red liquid that's on the floor inside that bottle.
Use it directly on Cybil Bennett during her boss encounter to save her from the parasite.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Don't forget to gather your party before venturing forth!

While that can be annoying, it's nothing compared to Noober. I was so very close to killing him, despite being lawful neutral, before he left on his own and gave me 400 XP. It's your lucky day, Noober. You don't know how close you came.

Bloodborne - Just completed the base game and the DLC for the first time ever. Took just over 70 hours and managed to get the platinum in a single playthrough which I don't think I've ever done for any game ever.

To put it bluntly, yeah it's the best From Software game, one of the best games of the decade and one of the best games of all time that I've ever played.

I'll say this, Dark Souls 1 was a better experience but Bloodborne was the better game. More consistent difficulty, no obvious rushes in areas or enemies/bosses, this feels like Miyazaki was given the budget and time to carefully craft this game into the vision he had without being held back by publishers, technology etc.

The environments, the creatures, the weapons, the lore, of all it just culminates to such a beautiful game that is some of the best that gaming has to offer. It is one of the best Lovecraftian adaptations that has ever been made, maybe THE best. The DLC is the best From have ever made...it;s just phenomenal.

The only gripes I've had with the game are how the Chalice Dungeons could have been better designed to give a more unique feel but the fact that they're optional means I can't point too much negativity at this. Some of the bosses (Defiled Watchdog) can go take a hike while some (Moon Presence) seem surprisingly easy? The level design is the best of the Soulsborne games but Dark Souls 1 still has the best world design (I doubt we'll ever see something like DS1's world design ever again).

I'm going to give it a strong 9/10, maybe a 10 depending on how I feel the game grows on me. If you haven't played this, do it.

Ah that's right it's on her. Man, that takes me back.

We are becoming old, aren't we ? :ganishka:

I've received and started 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim on last week-end, I played 4 hours more this afternoon.
Being a fan of George Kamitani's productions since Princess Crown on the Sega Saturn, I've been waiting for it since its first announcement.
This game is so beautiful... Vanillaware does such a great job, it's a piece of art.

Last edited:

Griffith

Bloodborne - Just completed the base game and the DLC for the first time ever. Took just over 70 hours and managed to get the platinum in a single playthrough which I don't think I've ever done for any game ever.

To put it bluntly, yeah it's the best From Software game, one of the best games of the decade and one of the best games of all time that I've ever played.

I'll say this, Dark Souls 1 was a better experience but Bloodborne was the better game. More consistent difficulty, no obvious rushes in areas or enemies/bosses, this feels like Miyazaki was given the budget and time to carefully craft this game into the vision he had without being held back by publishers, technology etc.

The environments, the creatures, the weapons, the lore, of all it just culminates to such a beautiful game that is some of the best that gaming has to offer. It is one of the best Lovecraftian adaptations that has ever been made, maybe THE best. The DLC is the best From have ever made...it;s just phenomenal.

The only gripes I've had with the game are how the Chalice Dungeons could have been better designed to give a more unique feel but the fact that they're optional means I can't point too much negativity at this.

It's a crazy move/experiment. Basically a second, different kind of game within the game, with largely unremarkable dungeon environments but with their own unique enemies and bosses. The environments feel tacked on and it might be the most inelegantly designed thing in the game and yet the whole endeavor is WAY above and beyond the call of duty and in some ways has made the game infinitely replayable. It's basically endless Souls.

Some of the bosses (Defiled Watchdog) can go take a hike while some (Moon Presence) seem surprisingly easy?

What's funny is the first time I played it I had no problem with the Watchdogs, which are basically like fighting the Beast of Darkness in a video game, but struggled with the Moon Presence. This time the defiled canine was a huge pain in the ass, along with Amygdala, and Moon Presence is like roll past him to win. The cool thing is different bosses will challenge the tendencies of different players. Most of the time you beat yourself trying to approach them the wrong way.

The level design is the best of the Soulsborne games but Dark Souls 1 still has the best world design (I doubt we'll ever see something like DS1's world design ever again).

Yeah, the first half of BB has that DS1 world magic, especially when you find the Old Workshop, connect the woods back to Yharnam, or visit the Unseen Village and eventually realize how it connects to everything. The drawback is later in the game and DLC because so many locations are literally disconnected from that plane of existence, but at least it makes sense (unlike DS3 where everything is just randomly connected locations you really just teleport to). Actually, in the different Nightmares, or Lovecraftian Dreamlands, you can allegedly see evidence of the others’ existence on different planes above or below whichever one you're in; like, the spires of Yharnam, the shipyard of the Fishing Hamlet, etc.

I'm going to give it a strong 9/10, maybe a 10 depending on how I feel the game grows on me. If you haven't played this, do it.

Well, it's aging like the finest wine to me, or maybe I've gone blood drunk. :beast:

BTW, here's my methodone to wean off the blood...

Nioh 2 - So far it's a lot of fun, I finally adjusted to the different run/dodge button placement (still don't get why they're so wed to it of all things), which got me killed a bunch of times, but once I got that down it's a blast like the original. Combat still feels like a natural evolution of Bloodborne's speed if it was combined with Sekiro's posture system now that we can compare (Nioh was ahead of its time =), except faster than the former and more fun than the latter. I'm not saying it's better than any of FromSoft's games, but it certainly feels more smooth, polished and yet complex (there's so much shit you can adjust on the fly situationally). I'm only on the 2nd mission though, so my opinion could certainly turn, but so far it's reminding me why I liked the original so much and this could be better (it's pretty much the exact same engine with some tweaks and new features, as has been fairly critiqued here before). Though I did prefer the semi-historical and mythological story elements of the last one, now it's just the ridiculous tone, dialogue and characterization.

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
While that can be annoying, it's nothing compared to Noober. I was so very close to killing him, despite being lawful neutral, before he left on his own and gave me 400 XP. It's your lucky day, Noober. You don't know how close you came.

Haha well he's made to be annoying so good on you for bearing with him. =)

We are becoming old, aren't we ? :ganishka:

Indeed...

I've received and started 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim on last week-end, I played 4 hours more this afternoon.
Being a fan of George Kamitani's productions since Princess Crown on the Sega Saturn, I've been waiting for it since its first announcement.
This game is so beautiful... Vanillaware does such a great job, it's a piece of art.

I hadn't really followed this so I watched a trailer. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. And I could never really stand "high schooler" stories. I don't know why Japanese people have become so fascinated with them.

I hadn't really followed this so I watched a trailer. Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. And I could never really stand "high schooler" stories. I don't know why Japanese people have become so fascinated with them.

Usually I'm not that much into the high school theme neither.
But for me it's a fresh take on that theme, and I've always been a fan of time travel stories.
I'll try to play a bit more today.

Been playing a lot of Persona 3 when I have the chances to. It's been a ton of fun this time around since I understand how to play the damn series a lot better than when I first picked it up.

Also been playing Fatal Frame 1 and 2 as Halloween gaming (Though Persona 3 has enough creepy shit in it to count too).

Though I Fatal Fucked my game of the first one. It's a point where I can't really do much without dying and it's more annoying to keep trying than just to restart it. Not sure how I screwed it up so badly, but it was probably vodka. Either way, this game can be a notorious asshole if you're not careful.

So I just jumped into the second game for now and I'll replay the first a little later. Love this series though. It's probably the only one on par with Silent Hill for me in terms of horror and creepiness.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 (Substance) available now for PC on Good old Games: https://www.gog.com/partner/konami

I used to have that edition of MGS2 for PC, and it was pretty great. Had everything, including all the VR missions, and the "Snake Tales." Dunno how it holds up now, so many years later, though. Reading the reviews, the MGS1 port is a bit more restrictive. It's a port from 2000 that has been lightly updated to run on modern machines, but no bells or whistles. For example, max res of 1024x768 (no widescreen), locked at 30 fps, and the Psycho Mantis fight and a few other things have been changed to accommodate the lack of rumble.

Kinda makes me want to see Konami just go all-out in remaking MGS1 for the Fox engine, even without Kojima.

Top Bottom