What Are You Playing?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's why I think "top" lists are so difficult to create, take seriously, use as actual data, etc. because of the fact that you either have to honor the legacy titles or the latest and greatest, and most sites choose legacy. I'm not sure which is right and which is wrong, or if there's a right way to do them at all.

There's another aspect to the legacy factor too, specifically that some games, like Tetris, are timeless, while others, like Pong, are completely of their time. We naturally tend to favor timelessness; after all, if we can appreciate something now somewhat like people did originally, it must be more transcendent than its peers, right? But it's not necessarily a demerit to "have had to have been there" because those games often completely leveraged the means of the times to the max and pushed things forward, progress which would ironically render them obsolete eventually. I think Metal Gear 2 is a great example because even though you can definitely feel the limitations it's pushing it's still incredibly, and objectively, impressive what they're pulling, basically Metal Gear Solid in 8-bit; it's just not as fun to play now as Mario Bros still is.

I still haven't finished that one. Even without the Elden Ring hammer which shattered all my interest in this game

I absolutely put this game in timeout as punishment for the lame devs blaspheming Elden Ring. I'm also secretly not speaking to Walter for the same reason because he said it was too long even though there's only like eleven required bosses (it's like complaining about too big an orgasm)! Read our correspondence in the recent Berserk threads or Better Call Saul and you'll notice I never actually address him directly...

Ok, that last part's obviously not true, but I bet he didn't finish it either! =)

it was already hard to stomach with its awful leading lady.

She's actually chilled out since spending some time in the Forbidden West; everyone's not putting up with her walks on water bullshit out there.

And yeah, those dialogue trees were insufferably long, weren't they?

And they get longer, and for less and less interesting characters! It's one thing when an AI God is giving you the skinny on the entire fucking world and even beyond, it's another thing when it's some dumbass that thinks the equivalent of digital billboards are magical visions. I guess it's not that far apart, really.:shrug:

Actually I found a nice video that more or less echoes my sentiments toward this game. I doubt you'd have the time or desire to watch a video of this length, but in case you're interested:

Yeah, that's all I need, two more hours of Forbidden West talk! The game has more than enough of that already. Also, the first complaint in an almost two hour video is the game is bloated. =) Anyway, he's obviously right about the pace though because I already peace'd out on the plot to hunt robots, build armor and weapons, which has been fun and now I've got pretty optimal shit for every type of weapon and situation. Though after doing the giant super armor salvage quest(s) I may just stick with my previous set because I can boost its defense as needed with weaves and it has huge bonuses to both melee damage and evade. Not only can I dodge roll more with it but I also have like 250% melee damage with it equipped, it's crazy! I also hate that all the legendary gear is basically impossible to upgrade until you're basically already prepared to beat the game anyway. This is especially bad with heavy armor sets that include not only huge defense positive numbers but also some couple of major negative drawbacks until they're upgraded. You're better off maximizing a bunch of cheap shit.

Last edited:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
There's another aspect to the legacy factor too, specifically that some games, like Tetris, are timeless, while others, like Pong, are completely of their time. We naturally tend to favor timelessness; after all, if we can appreciate something now somewhat like people did originally, it must be more transcendent than its peers, right?
Based. Although I feel like nowadays, a game capable of reaching " timeless" status will become more difficult with time.

I absolutely put this game in timeout as punishment for the lame devs blaspheming Elden Ring. I'm also secretly not speaking to Walter for the same reason because he said it was too long even though there's only like eleven required bosses (it's like complaining about too big an orgasm)!
Based. Did they also fix Aloy's former design where she straight up looked like a man?

Griffith

Based. Although I feel like nowadays, a game capable of reaching " timeless" status will become more difficult with time.

Well, there's certainly more competition, like all media the number of games isn't just steadily increasing incrementally at a regular pace, it's expanding exponentially. Despite Rhombaad's best efforts, one literally couldn't play every game out there now.

Based. Did they also fix Aloy's former design where she straight up looked like a man?

She basically looks the same, though you notice when you change her face paint that she does wear eyeliner in her default appearance, and one is pretty cool and gives her dark lipstick and tear drops around her eyes so she looks like a cholla!

I think she looks fine, but I did enjoy these memes though:

a9E2Ld0_460s.jpg

That's not a fat joke, it's a PC joke!

Griffith

Horizon Forbidden West - I'm not much further plotwise than when I last checked in, but I'm putting respect on its name because I'm having fun just doing the Cauldrons, hunting robot beasts and scavenging upgrading materials to boost my weapons and attack abilities. There's even a couple of "party member" side quests I haven't been this engaged with doing since Mass Effect, so credit where credit is due; there's a lot to do and a lot of fun to this game. I just hope they don't blow it with the plot, which was a high wire balancing act from the start, but has done the whole post-apocalyptic future of high tech primitives about as well as anything, and it has yet to let me down and continued as the world, and universe, has expanded. I hope they stick the landing, and that the third one doesn't come out within a month of the next Zelda or Elden Ring game. =)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Max Payne this morning. Aside from the two dream sequences, it was awesome. I wasn't sure how well it would age, but I really enjoyed playing this one. I haven't experienced many third-person shooters, but this one worked really well. For some reason, I remembered the bullet-time effect being unlimited when I first played the game on Xbox in 2001 or 2002, so I was relieved to see that the meter only filled up a little bit each time you killed an adversary. It made the game more challenging, which I liked. One day, I'll play the game on the harder difficulty settings, but for now I'm moving on to the next game on my list: Golden Sun on GBA.

That's sort of untrue. The next games on my list are Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction (I beat the original Diablo II several years ago, but didn't end up playing the expansion). Right now, Baldur's Gate II is $19.99 on GOG, which is ridiculous. I'm waiting for it to go on sale, so who knows when I'll actually be able to play it. As for Diablo II, it's $9.99 for the original game and $9.99 for the expansion, which I just can't afford right now (we're living paycheck to paycheck at the moment, while my wife is on medical leave). I'll get to them eventually, though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Right now, Baldur's Gate II is $19.99 on GOG, which is ridiculous. I'm waiting for it to go on sale, so who knows when I'll actually be able to play it.

Baldur's Gate 2 is pretty cool, don't miss it, especially if you plan on playing later isometric games of that kind.

On my end, I recently played through Dandara, an indie game I got a while back on Switch and hadn't touched yet. I'll probably play Stray next but I'm in no particular hurry.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It just went on sale for $2.99, so I bought it. I’ll play it after finishing Golden Sun.
Golden Sun and then Baldur's Gate II. Wow, that's like eating a dessert and jumping straight into a multi-family Thanksgiving feast.

I had some time off yesterday so I revisited Elden Ring after putting it down for a few months. Hit 100 hours! I had left off after Castle Sol, and found my way quickly to a very tall, very big-mouthed guy. Ruined his day. Then I roasted my girlfriend (her request), and I got evicted to tornado town. Took me long time to find my way through that place–3 hours or so? But finally found Maliketh. Boy, what a fight! He didn't give me as much trouble as the golden guy outside his door, who stomped me 5x. Now I'm exploring Lyndell, in ashes. Guess I should be looking for a MGS3 sized ladder to make my way back up to that spot in the tree.

but for now I'm moving on to the next game on my list: Golden Sun on GBA.
Are you by chance planning on playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age? While it's technically a sequel to Golden Sun, they were originally conceived of as a single game, which was split due to technical limitations. The Lost Age was released the next year, and finishes the story that begins with the first one. I highly recommend playing them back to back, as one complete experience (Golden Sun is also a personal favorite of mine, so this admittedly comes in part from a place of bias). They're a case very similar to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, the main difference being that you can't combine them into a single game using lock-on technology :ganishka:. Though there is a sort of 'password system' that allows you to carry over your characters, items, and story-decisions. I also understand that you have a quite the list you're working through, so it's understandable if that's off the table!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Are you by chance planning on playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age? While it's technically a sequel to Golden Sun, they were originally conceived of as a single game, which was split due to technical limitations.
I also seem to recall that cart production for Lost Age was slim, so at the time many people weren't able to finish the story properly. Truly a Lost Age!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I also seem to recall that cart production for Lost Age was slim, so at the time many people weren't able to finish the story properly. Truly a Lost Age!

Indeed. And the first game ends up abruptly too, so like Zephyr said it was very unsatisfying if you couldn't play the second part right away (can you tell I speak from experience?). All that being said, I think these games have become a little overrated as time went by. Curious what Rhombaad will think.

Well... from my experience with the Golden Sun series, I didn't felt frustrated about the ending of the first one.
On the other hand, I was more excited to wait for the second part. Why are you saying these games have become a little overrated as time went by ? I don't get it. There are far worst games out there who are clearly overrated... this series was great.

@Rhombaad Have you played to Valkyrie Profile ?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Are you by chance planning on playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age? While it's technically a sequel to Golden Sun, they were originally conceived of as a single game, which was split due to technical limitations. The Lost Age was released the next year, and finishes the story that begins with the first one. I highly recommend playing them back to back, as one complete experience (Golden Sun is also a personal favorite of mine, so this admittedly comes in part from a place of bias). They're a case very similar to Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, the main difference being that you can't combine them into a single game using lock-on technology :ganishka:. Though there is a sort of 'password system' that allows you to carry over your characters, items, and story-decisions. I also understand that you have a quite the list you're working through, so it's understandable if that's off the table!

I plan on playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, just not right away.

@Rhombaad Have you played to Valkyrie Profile ?

I haven't. I got as far as reading through the instructions, and something about the battle gameplay just turned me off. I may give it a shot one day, because I like the idea of it, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well... from my experience with the Golden Sun series, I didn't felt frustrated about the ending of the first one.

Good for you!

Why are you saying these games have become a little overrated as time went by ? I don't get it. There are far worst games out there who are clearly overrated... this series was great.

I'm saying I don't think it's as great as some people make it out to be.

I haven't. I got as far as reading through the instructions, and something about the battle gameplay just turned me off. I may give it a shot one day, because I like the idea of it, and I've heard nothing but good things about it, too.

Bah... don't worry about that. Experience it yourself. When you can, give it a try. If I have a recommendation for you, it's that game.

Good for you!

For sure !

I'm saying I don't think it's as great as some people make it out to be.

Yes, I understand. I had the same feeling with the Mass Effect series.

Griffith

A dozen posts about the Golden Sun series, Baldur's Gate, and isometric games? ...

Now let's talk about something cool...

ztdJarz.jpg

I had some time off yesterday so I revisited Elden Ring after putting it down for a few months. I had left off after Castle Sol, and found my way quickly to a very tall, very big-mouthed guy. Ruined his day.

I've been away so long it honestly took me a minute to remember where Castle Sol was in the space and time of the game. For a second I thought you were talking about... Radahn? That's his name, right!?:magni:

Then I roasted my girlfriend (her request)

:ganishka:

But friend, why not be a true lord, take the flame thyself, spare the girl... and let chaos take the world?
AND LET! CHAOS! TAKE! THE WORLD!!

That I remember. =)

I got evicted to tornado town. Took me long time to find my way through that place–3 hours or so? But finally found Maliketh. Boy, what a fight! He didn't give me as much trouble as the golden guy outside his door, who stomped me 5x.

Oh yeah, he's a problem, especially because, unlike Maliketh, he doesn't have an easy exploit I know of like bleed or guard break. You can't even kite him without him lightning bolting you from anywhere, even hiding indoors.

Now I'm exploring Lyndell, in ashes. Guess I should be looking for a MGS3 sized ladder to make my way back up to that spot in the tree.

Nah, just a previously very big stairwell that's not so much anymore with all the ash. You're in the home stretch now.

Hori-Zon Forbi-Dden We'st - This could honestly be the most beautiful game I've ever seen, the view outside your home base is pretty incredible, maybe over the top if anything, like the clouds always look like the cover of a gospel album or something, anyway... I'm still plugging away at the plot, actually I think I'm almost done, gotta a real last mission vibe right now so I'm delaying while I continue collecting materials for upgrading armors, which I discovered you can transmog to look like any armor you have, so I can make my best armor my best looking as well... unfortunately I sold a bunch of cool looking shit because it was weak, including the starter armor, which is apparently impossible to get back because it's not sold anywhere. This is annoying because the game has a "buy back" feature that lets you get back anything you've sold, which I took advantage of to reinvest funds in new equipment with the knowledge I could get it back later... Or so I thought! The buyback only holds a certain number of the most recent items you've sold. Thanks for tricking me into getting rid of my stuff because I thought it was safe... bad UI/UX alert! Probably more importantly, I can fly now on a machine pterodactyl, which is pretty fuckin' awesome! A nice surprise too because I had no idea this would be a feature, thus why I'm hopefully preserving it for anyone else interested.

Last edited:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
I recently completed my replays of Doom 2016 and Final Fantasy IV. Now I'm considering replaying Xenogears because I don't remember much of what went down in the game.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just cannot get into Golden Sun. I've played it for 10+ hours at this point, probably more, and I can barely stay awake during the process. I think the ability to use your psynergy to solve puzzles outside of battle is really cool, and I like the djinn system, but the story is so bare-bones and stale, I just can't get into it. The combat is pretty fun, but that's just not enough to sustain me when I'm playing an RPG. If the story isn't there, or the characters aren't compelling, I just can't get into it. I had the same problem with Grandia. Every time I play Golden Sun, I find myself wishing it was over so I could play Baldur's Gate II, so that's what I'm gonna do!

I just cannot get into Golden Sun. I've played it for 10+ hours at this point, probably more, and I can barely stay awake during the process. I think the ability to use your psynergy to solve puzzles outside of battle is really cool, and I like the djinn system, but the story is so bare-bones and stale, I just can't get into it. The combat is pretty fun, but that's just not enough to sustain me when I'm playing an RPG. If the story isn't there, or the characters aren't compelling, I just can't get into it. I had the same problem with Grandia. Every time I play Golden Sun, I find myself wishing it was over so I could play Baldur's Gate II, so that's what I'm gonna do!
Hehe. No idea about Golden Sun, but life's too short to force yourself to play something you don't like!

---

I'm playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon (aka Yakuza 7). Loving it so far. RGG Studio is probably the most criminally underrated studio in the industry. Once again, I highly recommend this series (along with its sister-series Judgment). Great stuff!

Also replaying Shadow of the Colossus for the millionth time. I can never get enough of this game, which is to date my #1 game of all time. What a masterpiece.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Hehe. No idea about Golden Sun, but life's too short to force yourself to play something you don't like!

Amen, brother!

Told ya! :iva:

Enjoy Baldur's Gate II, it's a great game!

Yes, you did! Every time I thought to myself, “Is there something wrong with me? Everyone else seems to love this game,” I reminded myself that you didn’t think it was as good as some people said it was, which brought me some comfort. :ganishka:

I can’t wait to play Baldur’s Gate II. I loved the first game and Planescape: Torment. I’ve been eagerly anticipating this one for a while now. :guts:

Top Bottom