What are you reading?

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hey everyone. I'm just curious to what fellow SK.Net goers are reading for books these days? I mean, other then Berserk and other mangas, what are you reading for pleasure? I'm into a lot of suspense novels lately, and have a liking towards Dean Koontz, great suspense author. I just finished reading his novel Intensity and just started up reading another one of his titled From the corner of his eye, both excelent thus far.

So whats everyone else into? Have any suggestions? I'm a big reader so I'm pretty open to all suggestions :)

Well, if you include mandatory reading for liberal studies courses, then "Winter of our Discontent", by Steinback and "Corporate and Government Deviances", by two authors that I can't recall.

As for suggestions, the only American books I've read are Star Wars novels and some political garbage crap. I highly recommend the Rogue Squadron series though.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I have very little taste in books, but I just finished Diamond Age (fogot the author already :???:). Good cyberpunk stuff. Right now, I'm reading On the Warriors Path by Daniele Bolelli. Cool stuff on martial arts mentality. It's more authentic than a lot of the other BS on the market.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I work at a call centre so I tend to get only to read a 1 minutes - 5 minutes between calls. So I've been going though alot of quick science fiction reads. Doing alot of Warhammer 40K novels. And picked up the Inquisitor esienhorn books.

Also If were counting RPG books, I'm going though once again the Warhammer Fantasy roleplay, and legend of the 5 rings. Not the most enlightening reads but still good quick fun.

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
I'm taking a British Literature course right now and I'm reading some of the modernists. We just finished Virginia Woolf's short stories and Roald Dahl's adult stories. Now I'm getting ready to read James Joyce.

Right now I'm reading the Forgotten Realms. I'm on the Legacy in R.A Salvatore's Dark elf series. I havn't been ablt to read it lately a) I've been pretty busy with other things and b) I'm in a big Berserk phase right now. :guts: But it's an amazing series and I'll be getting back to it real soon. Definately worth checking out if you're into fantasy and you're unfamiliar with the series.

Vaxillus

Meathook said:
I work at a call centre so I tend to get only to read a 1 minutes - 5 minutes between calls.  So I've been going though alot of quick science fiction reads.  Doing alot of Warhammer 40K novels.  And picked up the Inquisitor esienhorn books.
Good books, I loved reading these...

Meathook said:
Also If were counting RPG books, I'm going though once again the Warhammer Fantasy roleplay, and legend of the 5 rings.  Not the most enlightening reads but still good quick fun.
...unfortunately the rules system they're based on is broken and crappy. Go read Dark Age instead, it's also cheaper. :carcus:

I'm totally the kind of guy to judge a book by its cover, so let's see 'em guys!

What I'm currently reading is probably of little interest around here, but I like it:

0299181642.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's pretty great. Puts the entire movement into a cultural perspective.

Before that, I'd just read In Cold Blood, by Capote. He was retarded, right Wally? :guts:

I'd love to read the classics. Anna Karenina was my last great accomplishment in reading. So wonderful, Tolstoy's a genius.

I'm taking this summer off from school, so I hope to get some more reading done. We'll see how that works out.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
In my brief moments of leisure, I try to read the first book in Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast series, called Titus Groan. It's pretty bizarre with loads of imagery, and I would reccommend it to anyone who's looking for something really out of the ordinary.

Otherwise, I've had to read Beloved for my English class. Talk about trippy. :puck:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm currently in the middle of reading two books, one for school and one for fun. I'm reading "The Riverman" for my Sociology of Murder class. It's by a guy named Robert Keppel and is about how he tracked down the Green River Killer with help from Ted Bundy, also a major nemesis of his (his first case as a homicide detective was the Bundy murders). It's pretty interesting but is very creepy because it goes into a lot of detail about various homicides that Keppel has investigated, in addition to Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway's confessions. On a lighter side, I'm in the middle of "Krondor: The Assassins" by Raymond E. Feist, one of my favorite fantasy authors at the moment. It's not as good as most of his other Midkemia novels, but the lead character is one of my favorites in the series, so it's enjoyable nonetheless.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
just finished "The Loser" by Thomas Bernhard. Great book, if you're an artist or musician - read it.
Now i started with Sting's autobiography "Broken Music".

-TS

i just made an amazon order today :)

The 16th Round: From Number 1 Contender to Number 45472
Byrne's Complete Book of Pool Shots: 350 Moves Every Player Should Know
Brunel: The Man Who Built the World
Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills
Precision Pool
Naruto: Volume 9
The Sword of No-sword: Life of the Master Warrior Tesshu
Berserk Volume 11
The Gracie Way: An Illustrated History of the World's Greatest Martial Arts Family
The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm pretty open when it comes to reading, hell I'll read just about anything that catches my attention.

Right now I'm reading the Forgotten Realms. I'm on the Legacy in R.A Salvatore's Dark elf series. I havn't been ablt to read it lately a) I've been pretty busy with other things and b) I'm in a big Berserk phase right now. Guts But it's an amazing series and I'll be getting back to it real soon. Definately worth checking out if you're into fantasy and you're unfamiliar with the series.

I'm an R.A Salvatore fan as well, great books. I'm also a fan of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Anyone who likes fantasy but doesn't mind a lot of reading, I highly suggest checking them out. I'm re reading the entire series off and on, and I'm on the one that comes right after the Dragon Reborn (5 or 6th I think?).

Lately I've had a craving for Chuck Palahunick books....currently re-reading Haunted.
Now on a manga note: Has anyone read EDEN? I picked up both volumes and am REALLY into it so far.
I've also caught up on my manga collection (scans are nice but i like the real thing *plus it good to support the artist...like you already didnt kno that*)
Here's the list of what I've got this week:
Hellsing vol 7
Berserk vol 11
BOTI vols 14 & 15
Trigun vols 6-8 (anyone else reading it? Alot better than the anime by far.)
Crying Freeman
Eden vols 1-2
Naruto vols 6-9
Haunted by Chuck Palahunick

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I've been reading George R.R. Martin's "A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE" series. Excellent read, I'm to the latest book after finishing the third book.. which was 1,200 odd pages big. I'm hooked right now and have no idea how what else I will read when I'm done and waiting for the next book in the series... I guess I could just read Berserk? :badbone:

Gluestick

Oh yes Evil Tree.
I have been reading the Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony currently on Volume 3 also I have been reading Children of The Mind.

To Proj have you read Invisible Monsters?

Gluestick said:
I have been reading the Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony currently on Volume 3 also I have been reading Children of The Mind.

To Proj have you read Invisible Monsters?

Not yet, any good?

D

darkbane

Currently also re-reading "A Song of Ice and Fire". Berserk fans should feel right at home in that setting :guts:

Vaxillus

Proj2501 said:
Now on a manga note: Has anyone read EDEN? I picked up both volumes and am REALLY into it so far.
YES! I love Eden, truly awesome. While it's a manga, it definately feels more like I'm reading a really philosophical book. I liked the first one more than the second though, let's hope it picks up a bit more with the third and onward.

Anyway, sorry, back to regular books.

SMZKAH said:
I'm taking a British Literature course right now and I'm reading some of the modernists.  We just finished Virginia Woolf's short stories and Roald Dahl's adult stories.  Now I'm getting ready to read James Joyce.

Check out China Mieville, he's an excellent new author whose works combine all sorts of elements from sci and fantasy to horror and cyber punk. He merges genre's with a bit of a flowery type of prose and creates some excellent stories and characters. Check out Perdido Street Station, the Scar, or The Iron Council! I also think he ran for Parliment if I remember correctly.

Im reading "Divine Comedy" translated to portuguese.
Today i've bought:
"Rulers of the World" - its about how easily we are manipulated.

"The Bible for Non-believers" - it's the bible w/ an analyses.

"Great War for Civilisation" - about the war in Middle East, i recomend this one

Top Bottom