What are you reading?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've said it before, but if you haven't already read Howard's Conan. It's great, and save for a few stark examples there's less racial insensitivity there. Sometimes Conan even seems to experience prejudice as a Cimmerian, except when he's in the jungle and becomes the great white hunter by default.

I plan on it! I’m going to read all of his Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, Conan and Cthulhu Mythos stories. :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The Incal was great. One of the most imaginative stories I’ve read, full of great characters (“Deepo, you are my brother!”), locales and writing. Moebius’ artwork seemed to grow more gorgeous with every page. A true masterpiece.

Stephen King’s Here There Be Tygers was an enjoyable little story about a boy who thinks a tiger is lurking in his school’s bathroom. King wrote it when he was in high school, and it’s got some good stuff in it.

H. P. Lovecraft’s The Festival was amazing. His prose is so enjoyable to read. It’s like eating a good meal with your mind. I’m spacing his stories out over time. I don’t want to read them all too quickly, since there’s only so much left.

Next up is George R. R. Martin’s The Hero!

The Sun also Rises, it's kind of a chore at times. This is the third book by Hemingway I'm reading, and this may just not be my type of author. After this, I'll give him one more chance since I already bought A Farewell to Arms. After that I think I've read all his major books anyway.

I mentioned in my last post that I was reading manga to learn French and that I was ready to leave shonen behind and pick up something more difficult. But after reading some posts here, I decided to try Slam Dunk first. And guys, I'm hooked! I already knew about it, but I thought about skipping it because I watched Hajime no Ippo, which is supposed to be the nr. 1 sports anime/manga. Since I do boxing myself I figured nothing would beat it. What makes Slam Dunk more interesting though, is that it's about a team sport, so the relationships between the characters are evolving during play. In Hajime no Ippo you have 2 opponents, some guys commenting in the audience and the trainer being a trainer. It's the same dynamics over and over again and you never get to see something interesting like 2 guys that hate each other, but are forced to work together or something. I also prefer annoying Sakuragi over that boring nerd Ippo.

Anyway, I already put REAL and Vagabond (though I already read the at times frustrating Musashi book some years ago) in my to read list.

Yesterday, I started reading Blade of Immortal. I finished reading the first 5 volumes but it didn't take me that long. Above all, the drawing style seemed heavy to follow and even the story seems to me nothing like the protagonists (Manji and Rin). What do you think? Do you recommend to continue it?

Not exactly sure what you mean by "the story seems nothing like the protagonists".

For a manga, it's quite sophisticated, in both a literary and artistic sense. The drawing techniques are a lot more traditional than typical manga art, with realistic mannerisms and less exaggerated forms overall, and the dialogue contains a lot of nuance and period specific terminology. I haven't read it in a long time, but I remember enjoying the storytelling and gradual evolution of the characters, each with their own philosophy of combat and motivations. I can easily recommend it, but if you haven't taken a liking to the style it goes for yet it might just not be your slice of pie.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "the story seems nothing like the protagonists".

For a manga, it's quite sophisticated, in both a literary and artistic sense. The drawing techniques are a lot more traditional than typical manga art, with realistic mannerisms and less exaggerated forms overall, and the dialogue contains a lot of nuance and period specific terminology. I haven't read it in a long time, but I remember enjoying the storytelling and gradual evolution of the characters, each with their own philosophy of combat and motivations. I can easily recommend it, but if you haven't taken a liking to the style it goes for yet it might just not be your slice of pie.

I'm sorry, I wrote wrong. I meant to say that the story doesn't attract me. The same for the protagonists

I'm sorry, I wrote wrong. I meant to say that the story doesn't attract me. The same for the protagonists
The pacing is slower in the beginning, but it evolves significantly, and there will be some twisted developments later on. The relationship between the two main characters is also something that forms tactfully over the entirety of the series, and it can be better appreciated once you reach the final stretches of the story.

Ok. Then I will continue it. Thanks!
Something I forgot to mention, which you've probably already noticed if you had been reading the Dark Horse volumes is the modified, left to right reading orientation. This was apparently something commonly done back in the day by western publishers. The author specifically asked that they don't flip the artwork, so what they did instead is cut the panels up and rearrange them to be read from left to right. This can mess up the continuity of some scenes and it's a pretty awful and confusion inducing practice in general. What's more, in classic Dark Horse fashion, despite releasing multiple editions over the years they still haven't done anything about the orientation, so bear that in mind if you're gonna continue reading.

I am currently reading Jazz Theory: From basic to advanced study by Dariusz Terefenko and Lifespan by David Sinclair. I am a steel drum player who is interested in music theory and jazz. I also listen to JRE a lot and have been trying to read some of the books by the guests who come on the podcast. David Sinclair is a Longevity Researcher at Harvard and has been on JRE a couple/few times.

Something I forgot to mention, which you've probably already noticed if you had been reading the Dark Horse volumes is the modified, left to right reading orientation. This was apparently something commonly done back in the day by western publishers. The author specifically asked that they don't flip the artwork, so what they did instead is cut the panels up and rearrange them to be read from left to right. This can mess up the continuity of some scenes and it's a pretty awful and confusion inducing practice in general. What's more, in classic Dark Horse fashion, despite releasing multiple editions over the years they still haven't done anything about the orientation, so bear that in mind if you're gonna continue reading.

But I'm Italian, therefore I take the manga in my language. Thanks anyway!

This problem you told me, in Italy we have it with Berserk.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just finished Parasite Eve. Not a bad little novel from a first-time author. A bit on the technical side, but forgivable due to Hideaki Sena’s original profession being a doctor. It was a slow burn, but the final chapters made the whole thing worth it.

Next up is a short story by George R. R. Martin called The Hero.

I just finished reading Blade of Immortal. I thank the user who advised me to continue it. All in all, it's a good manga that didn't make me shout at the masterpiece, but in the end it's a reading that I highly recommend.

I don't know how active this thread still is but here goes. I'm currently reading Jorge Joestar, a light novel based off of the characters of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Universe. It's...something, to say the least. You certainly won't be bored reading it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My wife got me the deluxe, hardcover edition of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, so that’s what I’m diving into next. I love the movie, so I can’t wait to read the manga.

I read the 11 chapters that have been released so far of “May I Ask One Final Thing?” (alternate title is “Mad Dog Princess”). It’s a shoujo manga set in a fantasy world about a noble girl punishing corrupt aristocrats by beating the absolute shit out of them. Not expecting much depth to the story but over-the-top action depicted with delicate, flowy shoujo art is the kind of dumb crap I apparently love so I’ll follow it for now.

Also the heroine’s name is Scarlet el Vandimion...

Midway through reading A Feast For Crows and despite it being not liked in the fandom as it was a noticble downgrade from the third book I have to say it had some great moments like Euron's Kingsmoot, Victarions battle, Sam in Braavos and Cersei's chapters were all fun to read.

Just finished
RE:Zero Book 13
Fullmetal Alchemist Fullmetal Edition 10
Cells at Work: Code Black 5

All awesome for what they are.

Currently reading the dark tower series by Stephen King, I’m in the middle of the fourth book “wizard and glass”.
I remember that the first book didn’t catch me that much, I wasn’t a big fan of the writing, something seemed weird/off. Maybe it’s because it was (one of) his first book(s).
From the second book on I quite enjoyed the read, so far I really liked every book since. The mystery about what’s going on in Mejis is really interesting and although you know the outcome for many characters already, since this book pretty much is a long flashback so far, it’s still nice to get to know them and see how they develop.
I heard this series doesn’t get spared of SK (not you :badbone:) not being able to finish a book properly from some people, from others that they enjoyed the ending a lot. With my reading speed it’ll take a while before I get there, though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Due out Sept. 15, Piranesi is the long-awaited next book from Susanna Clarke, author of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, which is one of my favorite books. It's been about 16 years since then. It's not a sequel, which she's talked about writing over the years, which is a bit of a bummer. Instead it's something completely new, and it's getting decent reviews.

That slim volume, titled Piranesi, is not the sequel Clarke had once alluded to in interviews. But if her first novel established her as one of the world’s best fantasy writers, Piranesi is set to place her in the pantheon of the greats, no modifier necessary.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind yesterday. It ranks up there with Berserk and Vagabond in terms of my favorite manga. I thought it started out a little weak, but man did it finish strong. It's one of the most creative stories I've read in a long time.

Now, I'm about to dive into Longitude by Dava Sobel. It came highly recommended to me by my aunt, and it's about a subject I haven't looked into all that much. Can't wait!

Patrick Rothfuss’ books are excellent. His books’ history, language and mythology are as detailed as Tolkien’s worlds but with better story structure and characterisation. I highly recommend his work.

I have the first two Guin Saga books but I haven’t read them all yet. It annoys me that I can’t find the rest of the series translated haha

Douglas Adams, Alfred Bester, David Gemmell, William Gibson, Rob Grant, Stanislaw Lem, Doug Naylor, Terry Pratchett, Patrick Rothfuss, Michael Shea, Clark Ashton Smith, Charles Stross, Jack Vance and Gene Wolfe are my favourite sci-fi and fantasy authors.

Brian Lumley and Dan Simmons are my favourite Horror/Sci-Fi authors.

George MacDonald Fraser, Carl Hiaasen, Rudyard Kipling, Robert Rankin, Tom Sharpe and P.G. Wodehouse are my favourite historical/general authors. It’s hard to seperate genres sometimes haha

I recommend the Fantasy Masterworks and Sci-fi Masterworks series as well. I have most of the books from those series.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm near the end of the last book (4) of The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe, and I'm at a loss for words at how to describe it. It's probably enough to say that I love it, and I'll probably be re-reading this series until I'm dead. But it's also not a series I can readily recommend to just anyone, because it is extremely, refreshingly, unconventional.

It's become an obscurity within the genre, because despite how masterfully it's crafted, the author is utterly unconcerned with your expectations for what a fantasy story should be. That bold, authorial vision ends up being both its power and its weakness, at least insofar as its reach. It is like nothing I've ever read before, and yet I can easily see people dropping this thing after the first 50 pages.

There's a lot I could say about what makes this series unique and attractive to me, but what immediately took my attention in the first book was how foreign-yet-familiar this dying, far-future Earth was. The setting for each book is generally what I'd characterize as backwoods medieval, except for all the details that betray that presumption. This planet's history is so far removed from our own time that characters’ language, the architecture, and the descriptions of technologies provide hints that they are distant ancestors for things we'd probably recognize at a glance, layered on top of wholly new human creations and histories from the years beyond our own. In hindsight, it's a bit like a whole series where the most interesting bits are conveyed through disparate Dark Souls item descriptions. :ganishka:

The best example I can give for these kinds of riddles is an early scene where Severian ends up in a gallery, surrounded by paintings from throughout time. One of them catches his eye:

The picture he was cleaning showed an armored figure standing in a desolate landscape. It had no weapon, but held a staff bearing a strange, stiff banner. The visor of this figure's helmet was entirely of gold, without eye slits or ventilation; in its polished surface the deathly desert could be seen in reflection, and nothing more. This warrior of a dead world affected me deeply, though I could not say why or even just what emotion it was I felt.
It's up to readers to deduce any meaning from this enigmatic description. But this painting holds no special significance in the series, so I'll clue you in -- Spoiler: He’s describing this.

I get quickly bored with conventional stories that take you linearly from place or time A to place or time B. Books that dare to do more, and require readers to invest more, often get their hooks into me deeper and longer. And this process of literature via archeology, where you have to sweep over the descriptions and puzzle out the meaning, feels like something that was made just for me.

Fervent Enigma

Loveless
^thanks for the excellent recommendations.

I’ve been on a binge of Gaiman material as of late, including Good Omens, Stardust, and Sandman, of course. I’ve also been habitually addicted to talented prose magicians, i.e, Neruda, Kerouac, Rimbaud, as well as more esoteric poets like William Blake. I’m drawn to obscure and obfuscated symbolism as a moth is drawn to a flame. The Gormenghast trilogy is also another series I’ve been close to finally finishing and from what I’ve read, it’s the apex of the fantasy genre in my own subjective worldview.

Top Bottom