What are you watching? (television thread)

After rewatching it recently I'd say that it may not be the best anime movie ever made, the plot is a bit messy and convoluted (if you're able to follow all the storylines at first viewing) but I still think it's an absolute treat in animation, its style and tone. The first 10-15 minutes are absolutely jaw-dropping and iconic to me.
The manga does a much better job at presenting the plot, characters and giving a depth to it all and of course its art is magnificent, but the film and manga are essentially two separate iterations of the same concept and basic story. I have to compliment Katsuhiro Otomo for being able to craft the film in radically different ways while he was in the middle of the publication of the Akira manga, instead of trying to cram everything into a 2 hour movie.
I hope you'll enjoy your first viewing, but don't worry if you end up not loving it, its appeal isn't for everyone.
I have seen the movie, I think the story is quite understandable. Boys' troubled adolescence is linked to an old philosophical problem. "Where have we come from, who are we, and where are we going?" From ancient times to the present, there have always been people who have tried to search for the power that governs everything, or find a way to live forever, but the results have always been absurd and terrible.

For ongoing series, I'm watching Shrinking (Apple TV+), The Last of US (HBO) and Abbott Elementary (Hulu). Looking forward to new seasons of Ted Lasso, Barry, Shadow And Bone (comes out this month).

I started the Monster anime on Netflix (once I saw that the whole series was available) in mid February and I've been watching it with my twin, now we're very close to the end and will finish it within the end of the week. It's been my favourite thing in these past 2 months, I adored the mood, the setting, the intrigue, revelations and investigations that happened this whole time, but now that the conclusion is near I fear that I may not find it as satisfying as I thought. I find that some things aren't adding up and are quite confusing as of now. I'm not jumping to conclusions though and will wait for the end but for sure I'm not ready to let go of this series! It's very addictive, and I wish there were more works like this out there, lemme know if you have similar recommendations!

I've also been watching Vinland Saga Season 2, which is pretty great. Easily my favourite arc of the manga, I hope the last episodes will hit me just as much as the chapters did. Honestly I wonder if with the upcoming end of AOT (maybe its void may lead other studios to produce more seinen oriented content), the Vinland anime finding a continuation and Pluto finally coming to a release soon after several years of unknown status, if the industry is gradually moving towards producing more quality seinen works. I surely hope for more content of this kind.

I started the Monster anime on Netflix (once I saw that the whole series was available) in mid February and I've been watching it with my twin, now we're very close to the end and will finish it within the end of the week. It's been my favourite thing in these past 2 months, I adored the mood, the setting, the intrigue, revelations and investigations that happened this whole time, but now that the conclusion is near I fear that I may not find it as satisfying as I thought. I find that some things aren't adding up and are quite confusing as of now. I'm not jumping to conclusions though and will wait for the end but for sure I'm not ready to let go of this series! It's very addictive, and I wish there were more works like this out there, lemme know if you have similar recommendations!

I've also been watching Vinland Saga Season 2, which is pretty great. Easily my favourite arc of the manga, I hope the last episodes will hit me just as much as the chapters did. Honestly I wonder if with the upcoming end of AOT (maybe its void may lead other studios to produce more seinen oriented content), the Vinland anime finding a continuation and Pluto finally coming to a release soon after several years of unknown status, if the industry is gradually moving towards producing more quality seinen works. I surely hope for more content of this kind.
There's a show called true detective, it's first season is quite brilliant, I recommend it if you haven't watched it. And yeah monster is great, I loved it

S1 of Silo (Apple) - although it felt a little predictive, if you're a fan of a slow paced show this's it for you. I liked the post-apocalyptic world setting, amazing production/ set design and how the story unfolds in the first 2-3 episodes before things dip a little and gain momentum in the end. Rebecca Ferguson x Tim Robbins made it worth checking out.

S4 part 1 of The Witcher (Netty) - it wasn't as bad as reviews make it out to be, but yeah, it slows down the breaks a bit on the action sequences and focuses more on the political side of the story and maybe they're leaving more on the table for part 2 that comes out next month. The books/ games are probably better, but I haven't read/ played them. I don't love it, but I don't mind watching.

S1 of Deadloch (Amazon) - this stood out for me and I enjoyed it a lot. Typical story - dead body washes up and it launches a murder mystery. An outside detective is sent to solve the case quickly and there's this unique dynamic with everyone else in this small town in Tasmania. I enjoyed it a lot more going in blind, so do check out the first episode. If it's not for ya, skip.

I loved the visuals and world building in S1 of Foundation - S2 I think comes out this month or is already out. Stoked to continue that. Arnold's 3 part biography - recommended, his new TV show though was bearable cos I'm a huge fan.

EDIT: S2 of The Bear (Hulu) - a much better S2 with a lot of really good standout performances and a much tighter script. Every time Richie and Jamie Lee Curtis's character were on screen, they stole the show.

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Science fiction fans who’ve felt bored by the last decade or so of TV shows (sorry, I did try The Expanse, but it was too much space soap opera for me) should check out Scavengers Reign on HBO Max. It’s animated, and it fully embraces the wildness that the medium affords it. It’s about humans stranded across an alien planet, but the real stars of the show are the alien ecology. It does some very creative stuff, grounded in adaptation behaviors.

Judo

Midlands finest
I really liked the short film from 2016. So when I read that Bennett & Huettner are making a full TV show of it, I got pretty excited.
Sadly there is no HBO Max in my country. :judo:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Science fiction fans who’ve felt bored by the last decade or so of TV shows (sorry, I did try The Expanse, but it was too much space soap opera for me) should check out Scavengers Reign on HBO Max. It’s animated, and it fully embraces the wildness that the medium affords it. It’s about humans stranded across an alien planet, but the real stars of the show are the alien ecology. It does some very creative stuff, grounded in adaptation behaviors.
It looks interesting, but it also looks like one of those shows that will get cancelled after one season and used as a tax write-off.

Judo

Midlands finest
Adding Carnivale to that list... I still get frustrated when I think about it's cancelation. Imo one of the best shows HBO ever produced and the most captivating performance that Clancy Brown ever delivered.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Adding Carnivale to that list... I still get frustrated when I think about it's cancelation. Imo one of the best shows HBO ever produced and the most captivating performance that Clancy Brown ever delivered.
I watched the first season with a big fan of the series but we fell off during S2 because of the impending sense of "damn this never finished." I need to go back and finish it myself

Also, watching Pluto on Netflix. Real fucking good, so glad they actually got this made and that it's actually well done.

Judo

Midlands finest
I watched the first season with a big fan of the series but we fell off during S2 because of the impending sense of "damn this never finished." I need to go back and finish it myself

Also, watching Pluto on Netflix. Real fucking good, so glad they actually got this made and that it's actually well done.

S2 of Carnivale has a very climactic finale. It's definitely worth watching till the end.

I'm planing on watching Pluto in the next days.

Judo

Midlands finest
Finished Pluto yesterday and it was a pretty accurate adaptation of the Manga. The animation is nothing special but not bad either. I liked the soundtrack.

Onimusha on the other hand is total garbage. I was pretty hyped, because I loved the games on PS2 and I really liked the idea of Musashi as the Onimusha. But the story was very sub-par and the animation is pretty stiff 3D-stuff. Do not recommend.

I'm watching Ashita no Joe (anime) and really like it! Has anyone read or seen it? I'm on the final episodes and get alot of gekiga vibes! Also I find the fact that Puck was once drawn as Tange Danpei (I believe while coaching Isidoro?) hilarious! It doesn't matter how serious the show gets, Puck's imitation of Danpei-san is always there... :sweatdrop::shrug:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm watching Ashita no Joe (anime) and really like it! Has anyone read or seen it? I'm on the final episodes and get alot of gekiga vibes! Also I find the fact that Puck was once drawn as Tange Danpei (I believe while coaching Isidoro?) hilarious! It doesn't matter how serious the show gets, Puck's imitation of Danpei-san is always there... :sweatdrop::shrug:
The avatar might give it away :troll: I love the manga and have really liked what I've watched of the anime so far, the art style and direction are superb, Osamu Dezaki is one of the best. The very thick lines and sketchy/dirty looking texture everything has gives it such a gritty feel. Joe's character arc over time is one of my favorite in manga alongside Johnny Joestar, Guts, and Youko from Twelve Kingdoms. It feels very realistic in the way Joe goes from such a wild violent youth to channeling that wildness and violence into a honed weapon in boxing while also never really just making him become a straight up "goody-two-shoes" like some series might do it. Especially after MAJOR SPOILERS Rikishi's death <-- only read if you've watched up to episode 53 of the first anime. His guilt is so well portrayed and I love the way he and Yoko have to come together to mourn despite how much of a lone wolf Joe wanted to remain.

Are you watching the first anime currently or moved on to the second one? From what I remember the first anime ends after around vol 14 and the second anime re-adapts from vol 9 and then finishes the series.

I also love Danpei Puck a lot, one of his funniest forms.

The avatar might give it away :troll: I love the manga and have really liked what I've watched of the anime so far, the art style and direction are superb, Osamu Dezaki is one of the best. The very thick lines and sketchy/dirty looking texture everything has gives it such a gritty feel. Joe's character arc over time is one of my favorite in manga alongside Johnny Joestar, Guts, and Youko from Twelve Kingdoms. It feels very realistic in the way Joe goes from such a wild violent youth to channeling that wildness and violence into a honed weapon in boxing while also never really just making him become a straight up "goody-two-shoes" like some series might do it. Especially after MAJOR SPOILERS Rikishi's death <-- only read if you've watched up to episode 53 of the first anime. His guilt is so well portrayed and I love the way he and Yoko have to come together to mourn despite how much of a lone wolf Joe wanted to remain.

Are you watching the first anime currently or moved on to the second one? From what I remember the first anime ends after around vol 14 and the second anime re-adapts from vol 9 and then finishes the series.

I also love Danpei Puck a lot, one of his funniest forms.
Ohhh Yes! I see! :ubik: I am currently on episode 73, I had a good laugh in the last episode due to a certain Venezuelan acter/playboy/boxer/social genius!:slan: Unfortunately I have not read the manga (yet) so I don't know exactly how well the pacing matches...
I also looove the visuals! Exactly as you described it, its a bliss to watch all those brave thick and powerful lines! I will try to read about the other characters you namedropped but I agree on that Joe and Guts' journey from wild and explosive to calm, collected and in control (with some assistance in Guts' case) have been portrayed in a way that makes sense emotionally and narratively (I wish I could say the same about Musashi/Vagabond) :judo:...

Unfortunately on a Manga Studies course I was attending recently, I came across a major spoiler about Rikishi's death and how a real fucking funeral was hold for that character IRL!? BUT that didn't make his death in the series less impactful... One of the realest depictions of death and traumas of loss I have ever seen...

We're watching Hunter X Hunter on Netflix. I used to love the anime series from the late 90's and I read the manga (kept up with it, somehow). My wife was loving the show until the Spiders showed up and things got a little dark for her after that - everyone leveling up, killings, etc. We're now at the beginning of Greed Island, so lets see how much she likes this arc in comparison.

guuuuuuuuts

Excited for the next chapter!
Rings of Power.

Finally saw this after much encouragement from my neighbors. It was a bit slow and silly, but I did enjoy the big bonanza of pow pow red. The show reveal was spoiled back last year, so whatever. I have no idea why this would cost $90 million per episode if only 1/3 of that expense was for securing the rights.... nor am I clear on why this will need another four seasons. Overall, I will be watching season 2 as an excuse to hang with friends. I do not particularly recommend this show.... it was not good enough to sit through. Too bad it wasn't released as a film instead. I give the primary story line a 5/10 and the hobbit story line a 2/10 (strongly recommend simply fast forwarding through every hobbit scene). Overall, 4/10 for typical person. Just know this is not even close to Game of Thrones, nor it is anywhere near the LotR movies. If you didn't like those movies, skip this show. If you like the Hobbit trilogy you've probably already seen this show on repeat. :)

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Rings of Power.

Finally saw this after much encouragement from my neighbors. It was a bit slow and silly, but I did enjoy the big bonanza of pow pow red. The show reveal was spoiled back last year, so whatever. I have no idea why this would cost $90 million per episode if only 1/3 of that expense was for securing the rights.... nor am I clear on why this will need another four seasons. Overall, I will be watching season 2 as an excuse to hang with friends. I do not particularly recommend this show.... it was not good enough to sit through. Too bad it wasn't released as a film instead. I give the primary story line a 5/10 and the hobbit story line a 2/10 (strongly recommend simply fast forwarding through every hobbit scene). Overall, 4/10 for typical person. Just know this is not even close to Game of Thrones, nor it is anywhere near the LotR movies. If you didn't like those movies, skip this show. If you like the Hobbit trilogy you've probably already seen this show on repeat. :)
I can further expand on this to say that if you are a fan of Tolkien’s books, DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW. I knew it was gonna be shitshow just by watching the trailer, but looking at some of the behind the scenes decisions that were made further soured the negative impressions I already had of it.
The creators of this show obviously never read any of Tolkien’s books and were hoping to just create the Next ASOIAF (GOT) sensation without putting in any of the effort to know why said show was a breakout sensation. They were just hoping that having LOTR being attached to their work would bring in the money and it rightfully blew up in their faces.

Last edited:
Top Bottom