What are you watching? (television thread)

Griffith

My posts are better.
Better Call Saul is about as exciting as watching grandpa working on his Firebird engine. But hey, you get to hang out with grandpa! It builds character... :griffnotevil:
Well, I'd rather hang out with my shady uncle Walt while he blows shit up and exploits me. =) That's where I'm having trouble seeing this as an earnest "continuation of what they started with Breaking Bad." It's not just where Bad left off with the crazy final season either; I think more happened in the BB pilot than this whole show so far.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'd rather hang out with my shady uncle Walt while he blows shit up and exploits me. =) That's where I'm having trouble seeing this as an earnest "continuation of what they started with Breaking Bad." It's not just where Bad left off with the crazy final season either; I think more happened in the BB pilot than this whole show so far.
Ah, I see. That sentence wasn't meant to imply this show continued the pace set by Breaking Bad. Absolutely not! What I meant was that Breaking Bad was the introduction to Vince Gilligan's shady side of life in ABQ, and this is well... more from that world. At the pace it goes, it's almost like living in it. And that's kind of cool in its own regard, I think. But it's a fundamentally boring show. That is inescapable. In the episode I just finished, Saul spends most of the episode bouncing a ball off a wall—literally.

Griffith

My posts are better.
What I meant was that Breaking Bad was the introduction to Vince Gilligan's shady side of life in ABQ, and this is well... more from that world. At the pace it goes, it's almost like living in it. And that's kind of cool in its own regard, I think.
Yes, very slice of life, almost takes a documentary-style approach ("in this episode, learn how professionals trace tracking devices on their cars back to origin"). I remember this from the previous seasons, just the day to day of Jimmy working at the law firm and how that satisfied him or not. Admirable on some level like you say, but other times it's like if one made a Star Wars show about the Empire's accounting department or something; I don't care if the Death Stars are an awful financial investment.

But it's a fundamentally boring show. That is inescapable. In the episode I just finished, Saul spends most of the episode bouncing a ball off a wall—literally.
:ganishka:

This is the Gale Boetticher of shows; if it wasn't for its fastidiousness it would be over already. But I'm interested if not quite entertained.

Last edited:
Right now I'm watching Psych (3rd?? rewatch) and a handful of anime on rotation being the new Digimon Adventure, Ace of the Diamond Act II and Gundam Wing (rewatch)

High Score on Netflix has been interesting so far and I've only watched the first 2 episodes. It's fun seeing the marketing of video games from back in the day because I didn't grow up in the US or in a society with that sort of push in arcades/ gaming culture.

Married At First Sight, again on Netflix. We caught up with our usual house shows and this was next on the 'watch while we eat dinner and shut our minds to something that requires no thinking'.

I have a better appreciation for Legend of Korra than I did when I watched it while it aired. Marathoning the show definitely helped paint a better picture of her life and her issues which are more adult than the ones in Avatar. The latter is still a better show overall but Korra isn't all that bad. I felt like the stakes in S1 and how it then ended was complete bullshit (or a cop-out) but I didn't know that the show wasn't intended for more than one season - so now the end and the way it did makes more sense to me. S3 was the more enjoyable season.

Griffith

My posts are better.
Here you go:

I am surprised more people don't question the validity of basically taking a popular character and making some Scrappy Doo version of him, low standards after all these bad movies I guess, but to be fair all we know for sure is he's a member of Yoda's and Yaddle's species (there is a possibility he's a clone, but the timing doesn't quite match up without further explanation).

Anyway, the "Baby Yoda" stuff is mostly internet hype and memes as he's actually not as involved in the show beyond being the main MacGuffin as it were. Even that and the plot are basically just a thin pretext for watching Mando Fett go on weekly Star Wars themed adventures. It'll be interesting to see if The Child's crazy popularity will adversely influence the show so it indeed goes from being sort of an aimless soft anthology to The Baby Yoda Show. A lot of people were impressed by this trailer but it didn't really show me anything new or exciting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Trailer looks fine to me. More of the same? I'm in.

Anyway, the "Baby Yoda" stuff is mostly internet hype and memes as he's actually not as involved in the show beyond being the main MacGuffin as it were. Even that and the plot are basically just a thin pretext for watching Mando Fett go on weekly Star Wars themed adventures. It'll be interesting to see if The Child's crazy popularity will adversely influence the show so it indeed goes from being sort of an aimless soft anthology to The Baby Yoda Show. A lot of people were impressed by this trailer but it didn't really show me anything new or exciting.
The character exists so it can evoke Lone Wolf and Cub. And yeah, due to its popularity online, I'd say Baby Yoda has arguably become the most important character in the Disney+ lineup :shrug:

Griffith

My posts are better.
Trailer looks fine to me. More of the same? I'm in.
I'm still game, but I was told the trailer was excellent going in so am still waiting to get that impression.

The character exists so it can evoke Lone Wolf and Cub.
Yeah, but since nobody gets the reference or even the feeling it's supposed to evoke the response was, "What's baby Yoda gonna go this week!? *whenever The Child is off screen* Where's baby Yoda!?"

I saw "professional" reviews that read like this for episodes where the kid had like 2 minutes total screen time, "Hopefully next week we get away from the filler and focus back on the point of the show, #BabyYoda."

And yeah, due to its popularity online, I'd say Baby Yoda has arguably become the most important character in the Disney+ lineup :shrug:
Not a great sign, I don't know how tweets actually translate into subscriptions and this gimmick is going to be played out sooner rather than later in any case. I am impressed with how quickly they came back though, season 1 still just happened.

Top Bottom