What are you watching? (television thread)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've been catching up on The Sopranos for the past few months, watching an episode or two when I have time. I'd seen the vast majority of the series, but never in sequence. I watched it off and on as it was airing, but would end up skipping episodes because I didn't have HBO (watching at a friend's house). So I completely missed a few key things. For example, I never saw what happened with Adriana, and that was probably the most brutal thing in that show—at least for me. Season 5 has been a real trip. I think it's connected with me more than the other seasons. What a bunch of assholes.

If you’re interested in a series of a similar caliber to the Sopranos and the Wire, then I’d recommend Mad Men. Stylistically, it’s more similar to the Sopranos than the Wire, which isn’t surprising considering the creator of Mad Men—Mathew Weiner—previously worked on the Sopranos. It differs, however, from the Sopranos and the Wire in its subject matter not being crime related.
In particular, what appeals to me about Mad Men is the intricacy and self-contained feel of most episodes; similar to what the episode “College” was for the Sopranos. Also, unlike the Sopranos, most of the characters in Mad Men are more relatable, since they are all ordinary working-people as opposed to the sociopaths who make up a considerable portion of the Sopranos’ characters (I can’t stand Christopher!).
However, I only watched Mad Men up-to season 4 as the series started to seriously lose momentum in the early episodes of season 5, which I took as bad omen of things to come. So, all in all, I would highly recommend Mad Men—particularly the early seasons.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Mad Men as it was airing. It’s alright. Definitely lost my attention somewhere around the Hilton stuff.

I saw Mad Men as it was airing. It’s alright. Definitely lost my attention somewhere around the Hilton stuff.
Yeah, I must admit it can be very boring at times. The whole backstory of Don Draper is also quite silly.
I didn’t phrase my last post very well: I certainly don’t think Mad Men is as good as the Sopranos. Everything in the Sopranos: the writing, the characters, the photography, the use of music in the show, the end credits music, etc—all were sublime.
The episode that ends with Tony and Junior sitting on the couch watching the nature documentary never fails to give me chills—the subtlety and dexterity of Gandolfini and Chianese’s acting—and then the transition from Junior’s “there’s the Coyote” to the nature documentary’s music taking over to accompany the end credits …

I've been catching up on The Sopranos for the past few months, watching an episode or two when I have time. I'd seen the vast majority of the series, but never in sequence. I watched it off and on as it was airing, but would end up skipping episodes because I didn't have HBO (watching at a friend's house). So I completely missed a few key things. For example, I never saw what happened with Adriana, and that was probably the most brutal thing in that show—at least for me. Season 5 has been a real trip. I think it's connected with me more than the other seasons. What a bunch of assholes.
Been rewatching it lately, so many little jokes to catch between the characters interactions. It's such a funny show lol. Favorite character might be Silvio

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Favorite character might be Silvio
Silvio and Paulie for me! I love everything they bring to their scenes (The way Paulie always points with his finger and pinkie, without fail). I didn't even think twice about Silvio my first time through the show. He just seems like a mobster charicature. But he's grown on me quite a bit. He's the misguided "moral center" of the group, if you can even call it that...

Silvio and Paulie for me! I love everything they bring to their scenes (The way Paulie always points with his finger and pinkie, without fail). I didn't even think twice about Silvio my first time through the show. He just seems like a mobster charicature. But he's grown on me quite a bit. He's the misguided "moral center" of the group, if you can even call it that...
Silvio and paulie make me smile whenever they are on screen. Not sure if you have seen the episode pine barrens yet but it is a highlight for paulie as a character. Silvio is by far the most reliable person Tony has in his crew and the most level headed. Paulie is loyal to Tony too but is also very greedy and can be petty.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm actually watching the Sopranos for the first time myself right now, just watched the second to last episode of the first season.

Not too much interesting to say so far but liking it of course. I think College is one of the episodes that's highly regarded and I agree it was really good.

I'm actually watching the Sopranos for the first time myself right now, just watched the second to last episode of the first season.

Not too much interesting to say so far but liking it of course. I think College is one of the episodes that's highly regarded and I agree it was really good.
The ending of College is perfect. That genius slip by Gandolfini as he pleads with Carm, and then the end credits music: Golden Leaves for GK Chesterton by Michael Hope—just sublime.

“No man, for any considerable period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true.”​

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I just watched ep12 of season 2 and goddamn...
I got spoiled on Richie's death because youtube recommended me a video on my front page called "Tony tells Carm that Richie is no longer alive" and it was obvious it was gonna happen but I legit got to the part where Richie smacked Janice and thought "Fuck she should be the one to kill him lol" and then she did :troll: Glad it was able to surprise me despite knowing what was going to happen.

I am currently watching Midnight Mass, I have just one episode left before I finish it. And I really hope the ending is good. It's one of most enjoyable shows I've seen in a while, it deals with religious fanaticism which I have a keen interest in, it's why the conviction arc is my favourite arc in Berserk. I love this show so far and I implore you guys to give it a watch. I think berserk fans will like it. It's from the creator of the "Haunting of" series which are pretty hit or miss in my opinion, they are fine but I think this is his best work by far. Great acting and actors too, by the way I like to be vague when recommending things because even small things I deem to be spoilery. I hope it doesn't shit the bed in the last episode though, I'm sure it won't.

FCXQaR1WQAMHgGb.jpg

Reactions: m
Been watching this anime Ousama ranking or (Ranking of kings) on crunchyroll it's a nice little fantasy anime, I think it's the perfect example of don't judge a book by it's cover. The art style is something you might find in a kids cartoon, and I dismissed it for that reason but I was really surprised at how mature and dark it was, and the themes it explores in the show are really interesting and emotional something I didn't expect at all from first glance. It really reminds me of legend of Zelda windwaker because of the art but also the sense of adventure it gives me, it's really great so far, I think fans of Berserk would actually appreciate it.

I've been watching Ousama Ranking as well. Initially I was put off by the "cover" of the series, but as soon as I watched the first episode (and especially the second), I found out that it's a lot more profound and just good in quality than I could expect. I haven't been able to catch up to weekly episodes, due to several irl reasons, but I look forward to continue it. Easily my (sole) contender of AOTY for me.
Other anime series I'm watching are Inuyasha from time to time and I should continue the Kimetsu no Yaiba S2 episodes (although I don't have much interest beside the stellar production) and The Animatrix. I watched most of those I had interest in, I especially enjoyed the Yoshiaki Kawajiri one.

As for live action, I'm currently watching The Witcher S2. It's kind of a step down from S1, maybe I find it too bland or slow (compared to the separate timelines of S1 which at least was very intriguing and captivating). The worldbuilding is as messy as it gets, and not having my older brother to "guiding" us through it isn't helping. Still, I'm surprised about a dark fantasy like this being produced and being so popular.

Technically I also began The Wheel of Time (only watched Ep.1 around a month ago) but I'm not that intrigued. Nice premise though.

I look forward to start watching Midnight Mass soon, I know the director for doing Dr. Sleep, an excellent movie and surprisingly fitting sequel to The Shining. I've only heard great things about him so he may end up being one of my favourites once I'll finish Midnight Mass.

As for live action, I'm currently watching The Witcher S2. It's kind of a step down from S1, maybe I find it too bland or slow (compared to the separate timelines of S1 which at least was very intriguing and captivating). The worldbuilding is as messy as it gets, and not having my older brother to "guiding" us through it isn't helping. Still, I'm surprised about a dark fantasy like this being produced and being so popular.
Enjoy the watch. I finished S2 over the holidays, and liked it more than S1 because of the way the story was structured in the season - it felt a lot clearer, more linear without jumping back and forth with timelines as in S1, and the production feels better/ richer which's good to see, especially if the show made Netflix the kind of money it did. I'm all for re-investing that sort of money to make the product better.

I'm in the middle of a few shows - What If..., The Expanse (final season), Succession (S1), Station Eleven, Foundation, Winter Soldier show (forgot what it's called), new season of Young Justice, and something else I can't remember. The Expanse looks tricky already because it doesn't feel like the story's pushing forward to a climatic end of the series, but let's see.

Top Bottom