What brand of pet food do you use?

puella

Berserk forever
I have a cat who is very elegant and smart. :guts: He's been eating Royal Canin kibbles since he was young. I've tried other brands but they were all refused.
When I ask people around me, the most popular pet food brand seems to be Purina. That has made me curious to know what brands are popular around the world.

Fancypantaloons

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
My dog eats Royal Canin, the German Shepherd Adult type (because she is one). She used to eat another brand when she was younger but I can't remember the name.

I'm from Argentina, and we have the same brands you mentioned, and many more I'm sure. These brands are from USA, right? Are these brands in most countries around the world? Now I wonder if there is a brand of pet food here that only exists here. I never questioned myself this, this is new.

puella

Berserk forever
Fancypantaloons said:
My dog eats Royal Canin, the German Shepherd Adult type (because she is one). She used to eat another brand when she was younger but I can't remember the name.

I'm from Argentina, and we have the same brands you mentioned, and many more I'm sure. These brands are from USA, right? Are these brands in most countries around the world? Now I wonder if there is a brand of pet food here that only exists here. I never questioned myself this, this is new.

Royal Canin is French but owned by Mars Inc. (US company). Mars also owns Sheba and Whiskas. Hill's is American (and owned by Colgate), Orijen is Canadian, Purina is a US company but is the property of Nestlé (Swiss group). Like for humans food, most pet food brands are owned by a few giant companies. But I've heard that most wet food is produced in Thailand by subcontractors.

I don't know much about dogs. I especially wonder how many kibbles they consume for a month. My cat consumes around 1,3 kg per month.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
My dog has been eating Taste of the Wild for almost his entire life (he'll be 8 in a few days!). I think he ate Purina when he was a puppy, but we switched to Taste of the Wild shortly after we transitioned to adult dog food. We've tried different recipes within the same brand, but he always seems to enjoy the waterfowl the most, which is pretty unsurprising considering he's a yellow lab.

Fancypantaloons

I know that I know :) said:
You really wanna know well its eats drumroll please nothing because I dont got a pet :ganishka:

Don't say that about Puck! :puck: He is your pet and you should feed him.

Delta Phi said:
My dog has been eating Taste of the Wild for almost his entire life (he'll be 8 in a few days!). I think he ate Purina when he was a puppy, but we switched to Taste of the Wild shortly after we transitioned to adult dog food. We've tried different recipes within the same brand, but he always seems to enjoy the waterfowl the most, which is pretty unsurprising considering he's a yellow lab.

Well that's a brand we don't have here, it has a cool name. We have Purina though. What about the prices? Is Taste of the Wild an expensive one? Is it more expensive than Purina? I kinda want to know the differences in prices of pet food in your part of the world.

Wish him happy birthday for me when the day comes, Delta Phi.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We have two cats. They have access all day to dry food, Purina One, but it's in a contraption where they have to bat at it with their paw to get more food, and mostly they're too lazy to bother with it. I usually have to help them do it. They're pretty pathetic. Their primary meal is this Sheba wet cat food which we give them twice a day, one gross sludge filled plastic cup each. They love the salmon flavored one, but we hate it because it reeks.

We settled on these brands after filtering by these key factors: what they'll tolerate, won't throw up later, won't cause horrendous-smelling poop, and is affordable.

This is the most I've ever thought or talked about cat food :farnese:

puella

Berserk forever
Fancypantaloons said:
Well that's a brand we don't have here, it has a cool name. We have Purina though. What about the prices? Is Taste of the Wild an expensive one? Is it more expensive than Purina? I kinda want to know the differences in prices of pet food in your part of the world.
Taste of the Wild (TOW) is available here in Europe. I think it's more expensive than Purina products except Purina Pro Plan.
Supposing we have five pricing levels (1:vey high, 2: high, 3: middle, 4: low, 5: very low), TOW belongs to 3.
But this rating is based on the European market.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fancypantaloons said:
This kind of "device" always got my attention, but it seems kinda ugly to have in the house, idk.

I think every house with cats needs a corner where it's just a hellhole. A place for them to shit, eat, and just create a den of evil. In that context, this food tower is like a beacon of civilization.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Fancypantaloons said:

As Puella indicated, it's a bit more expensive than just standard Purina. I think we were spending about $30 on Purina, but $50 on a comparatively sized bag of Taste of the Wild. ToW is grain-free and comes highly recommended so we felt alright spending the extra cash.

Fancypantaloons said:
Wish him happy birthday for me when the day comes, Delta Phi.

I certainly will! :serpico:

Fancypantaloons

For some reason I find this very interesting, so thanks for sharing your information about your pets' food. I would like to give you more info about the brands from here, with rating and all, but I should investigate first. Someday!

Walter said:
I think every house with cats needs a corner where it's just a hellhole. A place for them to shit, eat, and just create a den of evil. In that context, this food tower is like a beacon of civilization.

I'm sorry but this goes to my signature :ganishka:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Been working with a lady for the last 4 years once a month. She sells raw meat, since she believes is better for dogs and cats. Mostly is ground meat of beef, chicken, Turkey, and lamb. Also, some tripe, enzymes and fish. I know on average, costumers spend $200 a month to feed their pets.

puella

Berserk forever
TheBranded1 said:
Been working with a lady for the last 4 years once a month. She sells raw meat, since she believes is better for dogs and cats. Mostly is ground meat of beef, chicken, Turkey, and lamb. Also, some tripe, enzymes and fish.
Interesting! To my knowledge, this kind of food is called BARF in the market. Raw meat can be good for animals but I heard it's very hard to formulate a proper nutritional balance with it.

I know on average, costumers spend $200 a month to feed their pets.
In my own experience, it's not that surprising. :zodd: But the prices of pet food are a rip off, considering the quality and the ingredients. :puck:
I've thought about getting into the pet food/accessory business before actually. I have many ideas...

Raw meat with egg yolks and some supplements.

Overall, my cat's health seems very respectable. She enjoys this diet more than any sort of processed food I had given her prior.

My wife's cat, Lucas, is a rescue and she's had him for about 6 years now. The vet estimates he's about 11+ years old now. When she got him, they had already taken out his teeth which could be due to bad care from a previous owner or something else (we don't know).

Last year we found out that his kidneys showed early signs of failing and we were advised to put him on a K/D diet. Unfortunately, he hates it. We recently decided to mix his old food for some meals along with the K/D specific ones because more than often, we'd find him wasting or eating a third of the K/D meal.

Natural Balance (we have 2 flavors - Sea Brulee and O'Fishally Scampi) that come in a plastic container.
Hills K/D (Vegetable & Tuna Stew) that comes in a can.

Speaking of quantity - he gets one of those for breakfast at 6 AM and the other at around 5 PM. A scoop of dry food (I forget the brand) before we go to bed.

I hate the scent of the K/D food and it doesn't help that it's his least favorite and he may/ may not finish all of it. His left over food reeked so bad that I thought it was his litter box and I decided to switch from the Scoop Free one we've had for about 4 years to a Litter Robot. It's only a week into my Litter Robot order that I realized that the nasty whiff I would get was not from his litter (crystals) but from his food that he'd waste. So wasteful, Lucas! BAD.

We have two cats. They have access all day to dry food, Purina One, but it's in a contraption where they have to bat at it with their paw to get more food, and mostly they're too lazy to bother with it. I usually have to help them do it. They're pretty pathetic.

That looks fun, I'll show my wife and maybe we can get this for our lazy cat.

Oburi

All praise Grail
We have a pure snow white Persian cat named luna that I've become surprisingly attached to (I was never really a big cat person). It's insanely docile and gentle and never grows much larger than a kitten. Unfortunately she's so delicate that any variation in her diet causes stomach problems. I'm not exactly sure what she eats since that's my ladies area of expertise but I do believe it's some special brand of Purina One. We've only had her for about two years now but I've really warmed up to her. Only thing that sucks is the incredible amount of fur that gets everywhere. It's so light and fluffy that if the air is still you can sometimes see strands of it gently floating through the air. Even though she gets groomed regularly I'm tempted to shave her down just to reduce the mess, but that would also greatly reduce her cuteness factor. The dilemma.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
We have a pure snow white Persian cat named luna that I've become surprisingly attached to (I was never really a big cat person). It's insanely docile and gentle and never grows much larger than a kitten. Unfortunately she's so delicate that any variation in her diet causes stomach problems. I'm not exactly sure what she eats since that's my ladies area of expertise but I do believe it's some special brand of Purina One. We've only had her for about two years now but I've really warmed up to her. Only thing that sucks is the incredible amount of fur that gets everywhere. It's so light and fluffy that if the air is still you can sometimes see strands of it gently floating through the air. Even though she gets groomed regularly I'm tempted to shave her down just to reduce the mess, but that would also greatly reduce her cuteness factor. The dilemma.

Here's my two cents. Persians need to be brushed everyday, simple as that. And they need their faces wiped too, to prevent infection. As she gets older it's going to be become a necessity to groom her extensively (otherwise her hair will form crazy knots) so you might as well get used to it now. If you want to make it as convenient as possible I recommend the Furminator brand. Also I don't know about Luna specifically but Persians are typically fragile (can easily develop heart or kidney problems) and it might be a good idea to upgrade her to a better brand than Purina One, i.e. Hill's or Royal Canin. I'd ask the vet. Of course I bet your lady knows all of this already. =)

Piggy backing off what Aaz said you should only give her a lion shave as a last resort if she can’t keep furballs down. I had a little Persian while growing up. Looking back I definitely should’ve made brushing her a part of my daily routine. I now use the furminator brush on my short hair cats and it does a great job. Slightly unrelated, but you should get her a filtered drinking fountain. Also maybe give her wet food in the morning and dry food at night. Dry food helps clean the teeth before bed. There’s also a rubber finger brush that you can get to brush teeth. Using a regular style toothbrush never seemed to work for more. A lot of extra information but just some stuff that I learned over years growing up with cats. Of course most vets should be the final say.

Top Bottom