What is your favorite episode of Berserk?

Personally, my favorite would be episode 287, "Bubbles of Futility." I really liked the way it showed how the berserker armor has been impacting Guts. Not to mention that bittersweet moment with Casca as Guts is sinking in the water. :sad: Obviously contains one of the more iconic quotes as well! "I guess even if you force back what was lost...it still won't be the way it was."

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mine is probably still Ep 78 (Farewell), when Griffith determines he will make the sacrifice. It's such a huge turning point and still leaves me with strong emotions, even after all this time reading the series.

BTW, your custom font color is pretty hard to read using the default forum theme (white background for each post).

My favorite is definitely Ep. 364. It's just perfect.
I also really like episode 355. In general, I really enjoyed all the episodes that took place in Elfhem. There is just something in the atmosphere that makes me relax and enjoy them a lot.

My favorite is definitely Ep. 364. It's just perfect.
I also really like episode 355. In general, I really enjoyed all the episodes that took place in Elfhem. There is just something in the atmosphere that makes me relax and enjoy them a lot.
364 is definitely another one of my favorites. I really love seeing Guts be a dad. The Moonlight Boy is just so cute.

Judo

Midlands finest
It gives me a headache trying to decide for a single favourite episode.
So I'm just gonna cheat and pick episode 45-47 as a package.

It gives me a headache trying to decide for a single favourite episode.
So I'm just gonna cheat and pick episode 45-47 as a package.
This is also one of my favorite bundles of episodes too! I really love any chapter surrounding Gutsca. Truly Beautiful.

Could be a weird choice, but the one I frequently keep going back to is definitely 178 "Reunion on the Hill of Swords" the tension in this episode was insane, the first time I read it I couldn't believe it was actually happening.

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
This is kinda hard for me to answer because I usually view berserk in terms of volumes rather than individual issues, but If I really had to be nitpicky, I'd go with 22 (Bonfire of Dreams) or 46 & 47 (Wounds Pts 1 & 2)

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Hands down, best episode for me was 234, "Vicinity of the Netherworld" as Darkhorse translated it.
Just having Guts to be in the presence of an actual manifested Godhand member gave me chills and excitement. Miura masterfully expressed Guts' fear and anticipation of a great threat approaching. With Guts' facial expressions, combined with his beherit, which was showing signs to the reader something extraordinary was occurring. I loved that whole episode and it brings me to one of my earliest heartfelt nod to the series. Plus the following episodes afterwards really mended Guts' party together with a sense of true friendship and belonging. Miura was and is still one of the best mangaka artists to have ever existed.

I am still pained reminded that he is no longer with us. :judo:

Last edited:

puella

Berserk forever
My favorite episode is the last one where we can see the most details about the boy.
It's very touching when the boy touches Casca's face or when he tries to imitate his daddy. He always misses his parents.
It's also very rare for Guts to wear a smile like that!
The lines, Puck's gags, and even Schierke's mistake about Danan are great.
They have very peaceful moments in Elfhelm until Griffith shows up. It's "the calm before the storm", I guess.
But we can never see "the storm". In that sense, the word "owari" (which means "end") on the last page always breaks my heart. :sad:

Beelzebud

[...] Into the abyss will I run [...]
I have to go with two episodes. There's two things on Berserk that made it very special to me: First is the mix os styles, and on episode 118: Beast of Darkness we can see that, first the panels with the forest burned to ashes after the battles with Rosine, there are many child corpses burned on the ground(one of the most dark moment of the series), and SK walks in, appear on a beautiful panel on top o his horses and start a monologue about Guts and.. EAT A BEHELIT(one of the greatest misteries that we see explained), then Guts, walking covered in blood hearing spirits talking about "his fault" about the dead children around, these spirits gradually transforming into the Beast of Darkness then gaining Guts face shape, and then Femto head/helmet, tormenting Guts until he lost the control and fall to the ground and star to think about his objetivo that time: revenge(we can see he's suffering) then Puck arrives and the climate drastically changes, he really save Guts life here to the point that Guts has to accept it, and even call Puck by his name for the first time(the type of comedy that perfectly balance the story), and on the last panel we see The Holy Iron Chain Knights without even imagining who the fuck they are.

These drastical changes of tone is the second main reason(obviously, there are many others).

The second chapter that I have to choose is 130: Fragile Flame where Guts decide that he will never lose her again, that's one of the more heart breaking episode for me, I can sense his suffer because Casca disappeared, his face expressions thinking about this and remembering the eclipse, the first time a read it I remember thinking if he can accomplish these promise or if more and more disaster was what is expected by his journey.

Miura's skill to deliver emotion to the readers are awesome, and on my opinion it's unique and perfectly done.

Both episodes transmit the evolution of Guts way of dealing with his trauma, and both are turning points on the story, obvious the greatest turn point was the events on the eclipse, and I agree with Walter about episode 78, but for me that started reading Berserk in 2008 these events was a bit spoiled(mainly that Griffiths turns a villain), and so i wasn't very surprised by Griffiths confirmation about the sacrifice (sadly). So for me, these two episodes was the ones who i remember the most of my first read, and every time I re-read then the same feeling returns even if I know what comes after. Maybe after read the later episodes made these two even more important and emotional to me.

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
My favorite episode would definitely be 115, Guts fighting Rosine was one of my most favorite moments in the whole series.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Sprint, episode 90.
My first and only Berserk poster was the moonlit grass double spread that I had on my room back in college, 2001.

Top Bottom