Why is the Beast of Darkness eye like a lightning bolt?

I had a random thought that I hadn't seen discussed before. Any ideas on why the Beast of Darkness and by extension the berserker armor has the eyes styled as a zig zag or lightning bolt? Is there some japanese symbolism I'm missing? Is it supposed to just look crazed and chaotic. Just cool?

Thoughts?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there are any thematic or symbolic meanings behind the design. I think it's meant to look menacing and iconic; a symbol that Miura can re-purpose in a number of ways that remains distinctive and evocative of the beast.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
I had a random thought that I hadn't seen discussed before. Any ideas on why the Beast of Darkness and by extension the berserker armor has the eyes styled as a zig zag or lightning bolt?

Pretty sure it's just because it looks cool. The eyes weren't stylized like that during its first appearance either, it came with volume 17. Shows how fluid the Beast of Darkness' form and design is in general.

Freshman_Adeem

'Life is short, smile!'
Im probably wrong, so dont quote me - But there was always a focus on Griffith's 'hawk eyes' when he wanted to to kill someone, such as Adonis, or when he wants something. His pupils become like a cats, or 'hawk's', very straight and narrow. Maybe the lightning bolt shape of the Beast Of Darkness symbolizes the unstable, overwhelming animal-like nature that the Beast Of Darkness has, in comparison to Griffith who is very cautious, has clear goals, and is thorough and controlled in his actions. Just some quick thoughts, but either way the Beast Of Darkness's eyes are cool as hell.

Top Bottom