Writing Miura

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
Hahaha great work guys, makes me feel like less of a douche for posting yet another rumor the other day, never thought I'd see the site get an actual response from Miura due to his schedule good work to everyone who wrote, and a big thanks to puella for translating. :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:
I'm already considering writing another letter thanking Miura and Shimada for the time they spent answering the questions. And Ive been racking my brain all day over what I could include as an _appropriate_ gift. I'm thinking emoticons will be involved somehow. I really want Miura to see them =).

If we could get Grovel's 9-year-old daughter to make another emoticon bookmark... that'd be the ticket!

PS: Otherwise I may just get one of you guys to learn to cross stitch for us :void:

I think the emoticon bookmark is a great idea.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
And Ive been racking my brain all day over what I could include as an _appropriate_ gift. I'm thinking emoticons will be involved somehow. I really want Miura to see them =).

Quick suggestion, Personally as a community the best way to show appreciation is to send out a "best of SK.NET" package. In detail, every art form that has been in this site since day one. Funny, serious, artistic etc. Heck even music if any. Obviously the right thing to do would be to ask those who have donated their work, but given the fact that they_were given to this site... I am sure they wouldn't mind you admins were to share it with Miura & Co. Again it's just a suggestion, but in my own personal opinion I think it's SK.NET showing it's quality to the ones responsible of this story in which we obviously love.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
When I heard we're over halfway done with the story I honestly had mixed feelings... I don't want this story to ever end... I don't know what I'd do if it did, but at the same time I need to know how everything turns out. Worst case scenario: We get to follow a brand new story from the master! Either way I win and lose I suppose.

Just think of the fact it'll take over 10 years. We have more than enough time to enjoy it.

Deci said:
I found it a bit surprising that he got his sense of achievement from Berserk's success... usually I relate a sense of achievement with personal satisfaction about something, not the reponses, though I'm sure it's probably a combination of both. He did say, "Besides, I can’t think of living any other life.", that sounds like personal satisfaction to me.

Yes, he's content with his life. And you have to put things in context: different culture, different way of expressing things. It's also a display of modesty.

Deci said:
The Idea of Evil response was probably the most interesting for me.... I mean, wow, not really sure what to think of it at this point. Do we continue to discuss it as if ep. 83 is still valid? I'm starting to think not, but what else do we do? I hope he's got plans to fill this in, Berserk now seems more mysterious to me than it ever has before.

We'd known from the start that it wasn't canon anymore though, so there's no point in acting surprised now. We can always use episode 83 as an aid to guess how things function at the core of the Berserk universe, but only as long as it doesn't directly contradict something in the actual story. And 83 mostly shines light on the Idea of Evil itself, so its removal doesn't affect the rest of the story too deeply. That answer was honestly not breaking news but more a confirmation of something we already knew.

Yami no Tsubasa said:
Congratulations to SK.net for such an achievement, this place definitely remains as the best Berserk site on the internet (and maybe the only one who has recieved a reply from Kentarou Miura himself in the last years).

As far as I know, it's the only website to ever have received any letter at all.

I, too, would like to thank Walter, the translators, and everybody involved in this great project. This is really a monumental achievement and I'm still amazed that we even got a reply. Truly fantastic! :guts:

wow this is incredible! thanks to everyone who made this possible, thank you Puella for your fine work in translation
the fact that the man works 16hrs a day and has no regrets is truely an inspiration for me! if i ever saw him in person i would instantly pull a mozgus face plant in front of him

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saeki said:
You guys should start a "Writing Miura" skullknight.net tradition every year!  :guts:
It's tempting, but I really don't want to overplay my hand here. If I write another followup letter soon, it will be directly to Shimada thanking him for taking the time to do the reply, and nothing more than that. I looked it up and he's been the editor of Berserk as far back as volume 7 (1993), possibly longer.

Wow, that blows me away. I didn't expect any sort of reply at all, but this is as good as it gets.

Saeki said:
You guys should start a "Writing Miura" skullknight.net tradition every year! :guts:
No. That's definitely a no. We really shouldn't stretch our luck.

It's simply amazing how devoted Miura is towards his work and even more so after hearing it from himself.
to Q5: The answer seems quite simple, but I think it somehow shows Miura's confidence in his work and that he's got all well planned character- and story-wise.

Special thanks to Walter, Puella, Mr. Shimada and of course to Mr. Miura himself for sacrificing his time to answer the questions.

SEASON 2 CONFIRMED! :troll:

Just kidding. Thanks to everyone at SK.net, this is really amazing.
I think you guys should send them something related to Schnoz! I bet they would love it! :schnoz:

Congratulations on this great achievement. Its great to see the author acknowledges his fans from abroad.

What impressed me most was his working hours. from 2.00 pm to 7.00 am. Just wow. :SK:

And season 2 likely to happen. Which is kick ass news! :ganishka: :ganishka: I hope it happens in near future.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ersinus said:
And season 2 likely to happen. Which is kick ass news!

That's not what was said. Just that more animated material is a possibility. In other words: nothing new. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. He didn't say it's likely to happen, and even if it does, it won't necessarily be a second season to the first TV series (in fact I'd say that would be unlikely).

Mmm, lets not jump ahead here. Miura is obviously still on the fence regarding an animation series, which did surprise me. Makes me wonder if an animation series would actually be an advantage, could they honestly do a faithful adaptation of said material without many story concessions like what happened previously. I'm a bit on the fence with it myself.

Makes me wonder what they would do if they were if they decided to go through with another animation series. The animé series did sort of closed off any chance of Guts escaping, by not introducing the Skull Knight at all. So yeah, a continuation would prove to be most baffling. Perhaps they would adopt an OVA format covering the most important sections of the plot, starting the OVA from the beginning of the Eclipse (I doubt they would want to cover the entire Band of the Hawk story arc once more, unless it would be a complete reboot) and ignore all the riff raff found in the animation series, and actually include Skully into it this time? Just a theory on how they could do it.

Regarding saying thank you, perhaps you could send him a Behelit, granting him amazing powers. :carcus:

Henry Spencer said:
Mmm, lets not jump ahead here. Miura is obviously still on the fence regarding an animation series, which did surprise me.
I'm not sure if it's even completely up to Miura if the series is made or not.

Henry Spencer said:
The animé series did sort of closed off any chance of Guts escaping, by not introducing the Skull Knight at all.
Well, he escaped somehow. Remember the first episode? It's set after the Eclipse.

But let's not discuss this here. Actually, we shouldn't even discuss this at all since, like Aazealh said, there's no info about a new animation anyway.

puella

Berserk forever
The great thing is not only Miura's answers but also Mr. Shimada, who sent the letter to Walter with much care; writing in as plain a Japanese as possible, covering the letter with a plastic film, checking the box indicating "Young Animal" among the small ones on the envelope and even choosing a fast, very reliable and a bit expensive mailing delivery (EMS). Everything impresses me much. I feel like sending a box of wine bottle to the whole staff in the Young Animal department.

Why don't they sell Young Animal in France? Why? Why? :judo:

Awesome stuff. Both glad and unhappy that we've got another 10 years to go. But hey, guess that will give me something to come back to in another 9!

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Fantastic. Just awesome! And a pretty amazing honor.

I wonder if Mr. Shimada was himself interested in hearing the answers, as well. :carcus:

S

smoke

Really cool stuff!

Can't say much that hasn't been said. Interesting read and something of an accomplishment for the site. Awesome.

This is so cool. Thanks Miura and everyone else who slapped this thing together. I'm very happy for his acknowledgement and respect towards foreign fans.

I found the entire thing immensely interesting. I find the possible 60-70% ratio pretty comforting. It seems he isn't too interested in the "idea of evil" beyond the lost episode. The possible 2nd season of anime is also a pretty good plus. I will keep praying for it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
It seems he isn't too interested in the "idea of evil" beyond the lost episode.

I wouldn't say that. It's still the God of the Berserk world, and it was indirectly mentioned by Flora in volume 24 (as the master of both the beherits and the God Hand). What Miura hasn't decided on yet is whether it will make another direct appearance in the story or not.

I'm not into Berserk as much as many people here, but I'm still blown away. I had read that topic about writing Miura and I didn't pay any attention, because I was expecting by default that no reply would come.

Congratulations to all SK.net team! For a real fan, this is like calling out to God and having him actually respond you. lol!

Walter, Can I quote this letter and translate it into French for the french Berserk community ? Of course with quote "from SK.Net" :)

Thank you to all the people involved. This is really great. I agree with Puella that Mr. Shimada was really thoughtful and careful sending the reply (I thought that Walter put the letter in that plastic film). Do you think they checked the site?

Top Bottom