Young Animal is planning something for Berserk on October 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bet is Berserk moving to YA Zero. "The New Beginning" sounds to me like a new home for the series, just like what happened when it moved from Animal House to Young Animal. If that's the case, not really much of an impact for us.
Doesn't make sense for them to move publication from their main magazine into a sister one which will only dip the sales of the main one.

When I first saw this yesterday I thought it could be about a new anime, like maybe it's the good one now I mean it cannot be worse than the one from 2016 but in any case looks like good news for Berserk :shrug:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
In this decade, we've never gotten more than 6 releases a year, and mostly far less. It's hard to see that as a huge setback.

Sorry but you're wrong. 9 episodes were released in 2010, 7 episodes were released in 2011 and 2012, and if you count Gigantomakhia, 9 episodes were released in 2014 too. We technically also got 7 releases in 2018, although 2 of them were a single episode that had been split in half.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Some people are thinking about a redrawing of the old volumes in the current style.
You know, like Bastard!
Yeah...it worked great fo Bastard!

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
that would be great it if happens, berserk redux, remaster, redraw everything in digital, damn.
It would be great, if you don't mind having less Episode a year.
In the case of Bastad! that was 0 Chapters for 8 and an half years and going.

The Berserk_Anime Twitter retweeted the announcement.
But I honestly don't think it means much, looking at their Twitter, they retweet almost everything Berserk related...
SdtU8fv.jpg

It would be great, if you don't mind having less Episode a year.
In the case of Bastad! that was 0 Chapters for 8 and an half years and going.

I'm fine with having less episode a year as long as Miura continues with the storyboard,
his assistants can do Duranki or redraw the earlier volumes in digital.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
that would be great it if happens, berserk redux, remaster, redraw everything in digital, damn.

Sorry, I don't understand the value of this proposal. Berserk's art doesn't need a "remaster." The art style naturally evolved as Miura changed as an artist over 30 years. The art captured his style at the time. Where would one naturally stop redrawing? And what benefit would there be in seeing it drawn differently, versus the same effort spent on continuing the series?

Not really hyped for this. I probably shouldn't read too much into this but the "special" in the link doesn't sound to me like anything that'd affect the manga/its release schedule.
Even if Berserk gets switched to a different magazine, would that affect the release schedule? We didn't really get an increase of episodes once it was announced to be irregularly/monthly.

Maybe they'll do an OVA, whether that's the BS arc, Lost Children chapter or some important stuff they skipped during the 2016/17 versions.

Some people are thinking about a redrawing of the old volumes in the current style.
The only way I can make sense to that is maybe a redraw of volume 1 (or just one of its episodes) for Miura's assistants to "prove" their ability to draw in his style so that he's confident to give them more work to do in the newer episodes. Still, I doubt it.

Sorry, I don't understand the value of this proposal. Berserk's art doesn't need a "remaster." The art style naturally evolved as Miura changed as an artist over 30 years. The art captured his style at the time. What benefit would there be in seeing it drawn differently, versus the same effort spent on continuing the series?

No disrespect to Miura. I agree with you it captured the evolution of Miura's artwork. It's like a time capsule.

For me the value is, aesthetically the artwork is consistent, much detailed. I don't mean it to replace the original, just want to see what it would like in digital. That would be a good practice for Miura's assistants.

If berserk is my work I would like to take that idea. There's nothing wrong visiting your old work.

Well... What I can say about that is that if it actually IS studio Orange, they'll at least do a better job than the Movies
I disagree, the third movie was excellent, and showed real care put into it. To me it felt like the director finally "got" what Berserk is supposed to be. If Berserk needs to get more animation then either they follow up the way of the third movie or else they shouldn't bother at all.
I don't have the strength to look at my favourite manga get handled by the worst possible people for the job again... Just let this new be manga related :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
For me the value is, aesthetically the artwork is consistent, much detailed. I don't mean it to replace the original, just want to see what it would like in digital. That would be a good practice for Miura's assistants.

Berserk's artwork has kept evolving over 40 volumes. Even if everything were to be redrawn digitally, the style would change between the first and the thirty-eighth volume. That's just how it is. Furthermore, the idea that the assistants should redraw the manga instead of the actual author is ludicrous. You talk about practice for the assistants; you know what's good practice? Duranki. That was literally one of the objectives mentioned during its launch.

And really, like Walter said, the only actual issue with Berserk is continuing the story at a reasonable pace.

I disagree, the third movie was excellent, and showed real care put into it. To me it felt like the director finally "got" what Berserk is supposed to be. If Berserk needs to get more animation then either they follow up the way of the third movie or else they shouldn't bother at all.

The third movie was utter trash, like the two previous ones. If you want to argue its merits (a foolish endeavor if there ever was one), I'd suggest doing so in the Anime section of the forum.

I disagree, the third movie was excellent, and showed real care put into it.

This isn't really the post to start a discussion about the 3rd Golden Age Movie, but I really don't see how it was "excellent" in any way. If anything it was probably my least favorite.
The eclipse did not feel in any way as grand and terrifying as it did in the manga. It felt lifeless in comparison.

In lieu of continuing the unfinished story? There's something wrong with that, particularly with the current output.

that's the problem it'll hurt the serialization, that's why I said it would be great if it happens - redraw and still continue but that's highly unlikely to happen.

The third movie was utter trash, like the two previous ones. If you want to argue its merits (a foolish endeavor if there ever was one), I'd suggest doing so in the Anime section of the forum.
Way to blatantly undermine what was, in my opinion, a solid effort into adaptating something as difficult as Berserk into an animated medium.

But you are right, this topic has nothing to do here, I went a little overboard in my post and I apologize for that.

I found something info about some domains owned by the parent company, original Reddit thread:

(Repost - my other account wasn't old enough) I was doing some digging and found that Hitotsubashi, the company that owns YoungAnimal (berserk's publisher), created the domain dai-berserk-ten.com about a month ago. It is locked behind a username and password. This is probably related to the announcement that was made a couple of days ago. The only other domains registered to the company are haku-shojomanga.com and betsuhana.com, both created around the same date as the publisher’s younganimal.com domain (November of 2000). What do yall think? If there are any Japanese speakers, what would "dai berserk ten" mean?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Without seeing the actual kanji intended, not these romanized words, it's impossible to know the meaning. But dai and ten both have common usages:

Dai = big, great, large, etc.
Ten = sky, heaven, etc.

Neither are very revealing in this context, but it could indeed be the project name.

It shouldn't be surprising that the domain is parked on Hitotsubashi's nameservers because it's the same for YA's site, but you're right that this means it's authentic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I was doing some digging and found that Hitotsubashi, the company that owns YoungAnimal (berserk's publisher), created the domain dai-berserk-ten.com about a month ago.

Good find! Berserk's publisher is Hakusensha though, a company that is part of the Hitotsubashi Group.

The only other domains registered to the company are haku-shojomanga.com and betsuhana.com, both created around the same date as the publisher’s younganimal.com domain (November of 2000).

No, there are more domains registered, I'm guessing you just can't access them through the free whois service you're using. But anyway this is definitely legit and must be related to the coming announcement.

What do yall think? If there are any Japanese speakers, what would "dai berserk ten" mean?

It could refer to a store. It's way past time they make one, so that would be nice.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
this is a very interesting thing, I guess now we have to expect something more than just the manga getting a new edition or whatever

I had already mentioned this possibility at the beginning of the thread, but it's not like a new website should be more exciting to you than developments for the manga itself... Anyway, like I told people in the chat, these types of small events typically bundle a few things together in order to make more of an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom