Your Favorite Albums

I agree on The World Needs a Hero, it sounds like muddled crap compared to most of their work, but I'd probably rather listen to it than Load Risk and Pooper Collider. The System Has Failed was kind of like Thirteen was for you because it got me back into the band in a more serious way. I still love Blackmail the Universe and the lyrics overall seem more personal because it was originally a solo album, but overall it doesn't sound much different from most of their more rock heavy 90s material. I love the first half of United Abominations, that was their real return to thrash, though I thought the second half was uneven. Endgame was awesome, just a modern wall-to-wall thrasher, and Headcrusher is my cut favorite too. Thirteen is like a career retrospective with some misses, but when it hits it's still great, and Dystopia might be the best thrash album they've done since Rust in Peace. So, all I'm all it's been a pretty great and prolific career (until cancer and the pandemic Dave put out an album every 2-3 years like clockwork) and I'm still looking forward to their next album(s).
Man of Culture I see

Not rude at all, Eminem IS objectively obnoxious and definitely not for everybody. You almost had to be there at the time when it was somewhat authentic and funny and not just an edgy contrivance for word salad. It also doesn't help that unlike a mainstream hip hop figure like Jay-Z, a black man whom went from street hustling to becoming a captain of industry, a compelling American story that's still novel and relevant fodder for his art, Eminem just from a poor white asshole to a rich one.
I definitely wish I could have seen it firsthand, I wonder what my thoughts on it would have been, really. I'm a funny little zoomer so my earliest memories of hearing eminem's music is with my dad, in the car and stuff around like 2007-ish(?). Weird nostalgic memories.
I saw them live at Metallica's 2003 Summer Sanitarium tour! They basically ended their set early because nobody liked them, at least that's how I remember it. Anyway, I agree, largely because it's the purview of white rappers without an authentic voice for hip hop, and metal fans aren't going to be for it (Body Count is distinctive for this reason).
I think body count is just funny and sounds funny. Ice T is a living meme to me. Love the guy though.
Also, like rock, hip hop is very loose, malleable and experimental while vanilla metal is one of the more narrow and conservative (not politically, everybody) forms of music ever in my eyes. I mean, the sound quality and techniques of metal have improved since Black Sabbath, but otherwise the conventions can still be largely the same. Compare that to rock or hip hop where the popular music within the genres becomes unrecognizable from their earlier counterparts so many years and decades apart.
Not sure I completely agree with you here, I see what you mean to some extent, but I think metal is similar to hip hop in the way that subgenres work into the mainstream and then become the norm. Metal may be more conservative in it's definition, but I think this is mostly due to the perspective of metalheads. I personally believe that because, like you said, metal isn't as popular as rap, there is a certain contrarianism/elitism that hardcore metal fans adhere to. Maybe I'm just speaking from experience though. Compare the relationship between thrash and speed metal, to the relationship between trap music and say something like east Coast hip hop. There's an interesting connection there I think. Maybe what I'm saying is totally off though, lol.
Oh geez, I'm sorry for all this metal, rap, and rap metal talk folks, nobody wants that. Here's the palette cleanser: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced. I'll also pose this thought experiment: Did Jimi Hendrix simultaneously invent metal guitar and rap-style vocals?
Jimi is an absolute god. One of the most influential and talented musicians to ever exist. As to him inventing metal guitar and rap vocals?? Hmmm, I don't quite think so. But he definitely laid the groundwork for most music after him, I would say. Maybe this is a huge exaggeration, but I see jimi having as big of an impact on music as tolkien did for fantasy, lmao.

I mean you can trace early metal influences coming straight from Jimi Hendrix. Just look at Lemmy, he was in The Jimi Hendrix Experience and he has stated it was a big influence, and obviously we know motorhead is a milestone for metal music.

That's a trick question because he did neither! But few debut albums can also pass for a "Greatest Hits" compilation, and this is one of the best examples. Another: Van Halen I.
Van Halen I, I agree. Although I am that guy who prefers the more poppy sounds of 5150, shamelessly.

Sorry for the super long posts, I just have a lot of ideas about things I'm passionate about, didn't know if anyone here would like the same stuff but you guys are really easy to talk to!

Here's some of my favs, no particular order

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Purity Ring - Shrines
Tycho - Dive
Flying Lotus - 1983
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Black Marble - A Different Arrangement
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1
Wild Nothing - Gemini
Machine Girl - Gemini
Beach House - Teen Dream

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Man of Culture I see

Hell yeah! \m/

I definitely wish I could have seen it firsthand, I wonder what my thoughts on it would have been, really. I'm a funny little zoomer so my earliest memories of hearing eminem's music is with my dad, in the car and stuff around like 2007-ish(?). Weird nostalgic memories.

Well, aside from the allusions to violence those songs and videos were basically just jokey shit talk. As a fan of musical comedy, imagine if an angry, foul-mouthed Weird Al suddenly became the biggest, and somehow most controversial, artist in the world. Those videos like My Name Is, Real Slim Shady and Without Me are just big goofs and most of the non-singles follow suit, albeit not as dramatically.

I think body count is just funny and sounds funny. Ice T is a living meme to me. Love the guy though.

Fair, some of his lines from SVU are ridiculous fun, "stank ho central."

Not sure I completely agree with you here, I see what you mean to some extent, but I think metal is similar to hip hop in the way that subgenres work into the mainstream and then become the norm. Metal may be more conservative in it's definition, but I think this is mostly due to the perspective of metalheads. I personally believe that because, like you said, metal isn't as popular as rap, there is a certain contrarianism/elitism that hardcore metal fans adhere to. Maybe I'm just speaking from experience though. Compare the relationship between thrash and speed metal, to the relationship between trap music and say something like east Coast hip hop. There's an interesting connection there I think. Maybe what I'm saying is totally off though, lol.

No, I see what you mean and I expected some pushback, I just feel like in metal you can get away with being a traditionalist essentially playing a modern take on Sabbath without people feeling like you're doing a retro act, it's just Metal, whereas if you're a rock band sounding like Chick Berry or Buddy Holly people would think you're a tribute band. To be fair, I guess there's still plenty of contemporary music aping The Beatles and Stones though, but I still think it's less dramatic.

Jimi is an absolute god. One of the most influential and talented musicians to ever exist. As to him inventing metal guitar and rap vocals?? Hmmm, I don't quite think so. But he definitely laid the groundwork for most music after him, I would say. Maybe this is a huge exaggeration, but I see jimi having as big of an impact on music as tolkien did for fantasy, lmao.

I mean you can trace early metal influences coming straight from Jimi Hendrix. Just look at Lemmy, he was in The Jimi Hendrix Experience and he has stated it was a big influence, and obviously we know motorhead is a milestone for metal music.

Yeah, I tried making the Jimi metal argument in earnest once because of his experimental guitar work in various renditions of Machine Gun, but was met with skepticism from my guitarhead friends. The rap thing is just because he's basically just talking, but sounds great on those songs. A perfect example of not a good singer, but a great vocalist.

Also, I'm certain Lemmy was just a roadie for Jimi; I mean, your point remains, but just to be precise.

Van Halen I, I agree. Although I am that guy who prefers the more poppy sounds of 5150, shamelessly.

I'm a Diamond Dave era man all the way, though I do appreciate how Sammy allowed them to broaden their range, and 5150 is still pretty rad. Strangely, the last time I listened through the Van Halen catalogue I really liked the unheralded Balance album of the Hagar era.

Why does it feel like every music thread ends up with you discussing Metallica? :ganishka: :troll:
R4ZutYEC75HMBKjGY5xiq2Bb-TLdkri7-ZugF2vvAgJEK5_89IpGGmbEQofV4Cx3eaMphQhnVjQjun9iCY_7BDnJ5zcE95tRhDpdB1UQy_qbeNvdnN9tcOTdcjXIhyOas30VhRcdt4E=w240

To be fair I'd like to think I'm talking about Megadeth now, but I could extemporaneously discuss Eminem's career further if you prefer (just follow the most popular 90s/2000s music of angry white adolescents)? :carcus:

BTW, so when I first posted Master in here you probably thought, "Uh oh, here we go again." You've been watching me for too long, Oburi; you know TOO MUCH! :femto:

Fervent Enigma

Loveless
Here's some of my favs, no particular order

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Purity Ring - Shrines
Tycho - Dive
Flying Lotus - 1983
Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms
Black Marble - A Different Arrangement
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1
Wild Nothing - Gemini
Machine Girl - Gemini
Beach House - Teen Dream
This is such an S-Tier List. Kudos for the love!

Top Bottom