Takezo will be Musashi ...

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Well ...
I've bought the 2 first volumes of Vagabond and I find it terrific, totally a chef d'oeuvre ... in the drawings as in the thoughts and behaviours of the characters.
I just wonder, for those who don't like it, if it is because of the part ( from vol3, i believe ) when Takezo tend to become a new man. Hell ! What are your reasons ?

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
First I like it very much too. The reason they don't like it could be that the Vagabond universe is  very complicated (and they don't have Flora to"explain" everything :D )After all Musashi is not a fictious caracter and also in real life he was a very complex individual. His own  work"The book of five ring" ask for much thought. So Vagabond is not immediatly consumable like Berserk where at worst you can always enjoy a fight with a apostle and speculate if is stronger the snail count or wiald (it was done , you know :D)
And with that I have gained 800 enemies (how if they already weren't  ;D )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I dont like it because:

1) I cant read japanese
2) This type of story has been done before
3) I cant read japanese
4) Volume 7 is a full volume long stand off... Thats not 'deep' thats just a waste of time.

============
Walter on 2/19/09

I am MORTIFIED by this post, and I fully apologize for what a fucking idiot I was 7 years ago. Please forgive me for my utterly embarrassing misunderstanding of the series.

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
come to the think of it, is it true that there is a likelihood for Slam Dunk p2?

(although i really don't think it's possible to recreate the atmosphere...)

I dont like it because:

1) I cant read japanese  
2) This type of story has been done before
3) I cant read japanese
4) Volume 7 is a full volume long stand off... Thats not 'deep' thats just a waste of time.
I haven't read Vagabond myself but Viz is publishing the English version (volume 1 is out now) in case you want to give it another chance.  ;)

:D  Yea, I gotta agree with that one.

For the most part... I just find Vagabond uninteresting.  The story is really nothing exceptional since it's just an adaption of an existing novel.  So that only leaves the art, which is damn good, but I need more than great art to really get into it.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
you're crazy, what's wrong ?
i don't see your point Walter, and others 'anglophones', you say the story is crappy but you haven't read it, actually ...
i personnally find this manga quite deep ( though i've only read the 1 and the 2 first tomes ), especially with the appearance of Takuan and the introspection of Takezo

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
you're crazy, what's wrong ?
i don't see your point Walter, and others 'anglophones', you say the story is crappy but you haven't read it, actually ...
i personnally find this manga quite deep ( though i've only read the 1 and the 2 first tomes ), especially with the appearance of Takuan and the introspection of Takezo
I hadn't read Berserk when I decided I loved the manga.

this manga's actually easy for me to understand, so ive actually read some of it (only the first two volumes). theres nothing "deep" about it, IMO (at least not comparable to Berserk). the art, however, is astounding. it seems that every rock, tree, leaf and blade of grass has been drawn. its very realistic, and the arts the main reason why i like it, not the story.

Spike

"AAghh! Get off of me you crazy bitch!" - Bruce C.
Has anyone read the book Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa (of which the manga is based off of)?  If not, I highly recommend it!  Hell, even my mom liked it:p.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
finally, i have the 8 first volumes
and about the 7th, there is the mental preparation of musashi, the long explanation-flash-back of in'ei and yagyu, this isn't only a 'long stand stuff'

BOB

poruno sutâ
the art, however, is astounding. it seems that every rock, tree, leaf and blade of grass has been drawn. its very realistic, and the arts the main reason why i like it, not the story.

hey ifthatsso i recommend GON :D

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I've never read Vagabond, but I have read "Musashi" by Eji Yoshikawa(?).

I thought it was a pretty badass novel. I know both are based on the historical account of Shimmen(?) Takezo/Miyamoto Musashi, but how similar are the stories. If anyone knows, that is.

I ask because Musashi was based on real historical occurrences, but ultimately was a work of fiction, I think. So it stands to reason that Vagabond could be a drastically different story.

Thanks to whoever can let me know.

Spike

"AAghh! Get off of me you crazy bitch!" - Bruce C.
I thought it was a pretty badass novel. I know both are based on the historical account of Shimmen(?) Takezo/Miyamoto Musashi, but how similar are the stories. If anyone knows, that is.

I ask because Musashi was based on real historical occurrences, but ultimately was a work of fiction, I think. So it stands to reason that Vagabond could be a drastically different story.

The creator of Vagabond has openly stated that the manga / comic is (will be) derived from the events that transpire in Eiji Yoshikawa's book. From what I've viewed (only two volumes), the story is pretty damn similar (although some of the characters' demeanors seem "off", and some sections of the book are omitted), and the comic has pictures (I like pictures ;D ).
As for the rest of your post: Mr. Yoshikawa's book was based on real historical occurences.  All of the duels, relationships, people, etc. are historically real.  The majority of the dialog could only be facsimilied if the author had a time machine...But, the crux's of the major (i.e. governmental) conversations and what not are factual.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
'have a question for those who have read the book
when musashi is at Yagyu's house and his pupil fights with a dog, where is it in the book ?
first quarter ? middle ? it could help me to figure out how many volumes there could be

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Cool. BTW, how many volumes are there?

And am I the only one who thinks it's odd that this manga is written by a guy who does nothing but manga about basketball?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
i am getting more and more interested in "vagabond". i am pretty sure that i'm gonna get vol.1 pretty soon.
wasn't vagabond voted for "best new manga" or something in japan months ago?

yeah, i remember. olivier created a thread about it back then. vagabond was first right before berserk...

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Odd, I can only find 12 volumes. BTW, the cover art is pretty amazing. I'm not at all familiar with this artist's work, so I was a bit surprised.

Well, he's obviously not "a guy who does nothing but manga about basketball" anymore? ^^

Heh, good point. It just seems like an odd transition. Two (3 maybe?) different manga about basketball then BAM, a manga based on one of the most famous samurai novels.

i am getting more and more interested in "vagabond". i am pretty sure that i'm gonna get vol.1 pretty soon.
wasn't vagabond voted for "best new manga" or something in japan months ago?

yeah, i remember. olivier created a thread about it back then. vagabond was first right before berserk...

Well, both it and Berserk won the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Award. And it did get 1st place, so that definitely says something about its popularity.

A lot of people here really seem to dislike the story though. Which kinda makes me wonder.

BOB

poruno sutâ
is there anyone who actually tried lone wolf and cub?

from browsing some vagabond related sites i feel very much reminded of lone wolf.

sure the drawings are not as good as vagabond since it's way older but lone wolf sure is the godfather of every storyline that deals with wandering samurais

Lliugusamui

around the corner
to olivier : 14 volumes and where is the story ?
much advanced ? to the still beginning ?
to wereallmad : hasn't berserk won another price ? like best drawing manga or something ? i thought i've seen that :-/

Top Bottom