European FFX

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Did anyone else find this game REALLY easy to master, even though it had a more editions to it then the US release? I killed Utlimate weapon with a damn overdrive and the fight with Sin was just stupid. The only thing that really tested me was the Dark Aeons and the Original Monster creations.

I was just wondering if anyone else was just as dissapointed?

Did anyone else find this game REALLY easy to master
Finishing the game is easy, of course. It's not really supposed to be a challenge.
_Mastering_ it, on the other hand... Beating der Richter/Penance isn't that easy. ^^;

D

Drachenfels

I played it trough. The fights weren't that challanging. I never tried to "master" the game, since it just wasn#t worth it, unlike FF8 and 7.

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
what the....?
FFX is great!!!
best after FFVII!!!
well i tell u that there is a challenge in every FF!
it is not the playin through-thing like in many other games but u gotta spend really much time to level up ur charas and beat the hidden monsters that ll challenge u i swear!
yeah i talk bout the weapons,dark aeons and of course richter(and even some of the monster farm)...
if u beat them all(without being a cry baby using cheats)
u already sacrificed a lot of time and u should be a real fan to go all through this to finally beat those special creatures that are the real challenge for FF-freaks!

playin through hasn t been that difficult in any of the FF's!
as olivier already added mastering it is the goal!

I played it trough. The fights weren't that challanging.
If you're just playing through the game until the end, of course it's not that challenging. Final Fantasy games aren't that hard, far from it.
I never tried to "master" the game, since it just wasn#t worth it, unlike FF8 and 7.
What's the difference, exactly? ?_?

as olivier already added mastering it is the goal!
If you're a "hard-core gamer" looking for some challenge, yeah.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
What did you like about FFX the most Olivier? WHat I mean is... what aspect stood out the most for you and actually made you enjoy playing it?

maximus

If you're a "hard-core gamer" looking for some challenge, yeah.
no doubt about that!

the special thing bout FFX for me is the variety of different characters and their fates or ambitions...
so there are several ways or possibilities for u to identify urself with one of characters and the story as for example:the love between yuna and tidus;or the relation between tidus and his father;kimahris relation to yuna or his memories bout the past or his origin that follow him all the way.... .... many more....
so in short it should be said that the story is great as we had that the last time with FFVII!
this is one of the big points why i like FFX!

apart from that i like the spoken language(*prepares to be hagued*) and the graphics!
but even more important is the role that bestias or aeons play and the role they got in this part of FF!
furthermore i like the whole system including the sphäroboard and the ability to change or create weapons!
this is a big advantage in regard to FFIX that hasn t had such a good system concerning abilities or weapons!

another positive aspect is that u got always ur whole party involved and they r all great characters that u wanna and even got to play with!(bad example :FFVIII:selphi quistis and FFIX:quina steiner mahagon...)
I also like the limits(ekstase) although i d like to have some more like in FFVII!

What did you like about FFX the most Olivier? WHat I mean is... what aspect stood out the most for you and actually made you enjoy playing it?
I really liked the game and battle system. Being able to change your party or your equipment during a battle was a relief, and the battles were... well... "interesting". You didn't just "tatakau tatakau tatakau tatakau" your way through the dungeon, this time, and the battles weren't too long or tedious either (*looks in the general direction of Xenosaga Episode I*).
The story has few plot twists, but at the end, it's more coherent than any of the previous "PlayStation Final Fantasy games". I thought the world was "believable".
Apart, maybe, from Kimahri, there was no totally useless character, in my opinion.
The sidequests can keep you busy for hours.
I really liked the music, overall.
I liked the ending.

I'm wondering what aspect I _didn't_ like, actually...

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
u got always ur whole party involved and they r all great characters that u wanna and even got to play with!(bad example :FFVIII:selphi quistis
How dare you speak about Selphie like that! I found her more bearable than Rikku! But you're right about Quina. Useless.
I thought the world was "believable".
Yeah, you're right about that. The only thing that I didn't get was the way they could all breathe underwater for ample amounts of time :-/

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
dammit!

finally someone besides me and maximus creates a FF-Thread and i don't have time to post an appropriate message.

anyway, i still have to play a lot of FFX...

D

Drachenfels

What's the difference, exactly? ?_?

Maybe I'm already tired from FF, and living in glorified memories of the past parts, but...

It's always the same. A band of mostly young heroes, lead by an male hero who loves a female magic-user, they ride their chocobos and air ships against an evil empire, and finally kill the maniac evil villain with the same spells and summonings they used since part 1, and the battle system and general gameplay hasn't changed since part 1....

Oh well... :(

Or maybe it's just that I didn't like the characters except Auron,
and that the two main characters were as shallow as a mud pueddle,
that the main hero was just an older version of Dennis the Menace,
that the plot was very poorly executed(it wasn't a bad story, but that everything was relvelead in the last two hours of the game was a very bad decision of the story writers),
that I didn't like the water world the game took place, the general linearity and lack of sidequests(that actually involved something BESIDES monster killing),
the lack of a real overland map(like in the previous parts), that there were the usual PAL joist Sony likes to fuck their European customers,
the lack of character development for anyone besides Yuna and Dennis,

... bah, I'll just end this. The game didn't appealed to me, but if you are happy with it fine. I hope for the 12th part of FF that the game finally has an evolution, and doesn't get stuck in the sameness all other parts showed.

But at least IWD2 will soon come out. :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I actually totally agree with Drachenfels. Well, actually I think that the battle system, while old and used, was actually pretty fun. But the fun of the game stops THERE. Maybe it was the american voice acting that ruined my perception of everything, but after about 5 hours of the game, I was ready to lay down the controller.... But of course, like any used square RPG sap, I continued to play it till the end... As for the plot...while normally I stick to the 'less is more' ideal, LESS WAS CERTAINLY LESS in this game...

I absolutely love the way the game started out (as you leave Zanarkand), as it seemed to promise a whole different FF with a great, surreal looking and feeling environment, and with a plot that was SEEMINGLY (at first) interesting. But it eventually developed into probably the most bland RPG that I've ever played. I honestly didnt care anything about the characters. Not a drop. They either got on my nerves (Yuna and Tidus), sounded like macguyver and looked like Guts (Auron), had wakka's american voice actor (Wakka, ya?) or were only useful for their 'limit breaks' (Rikku).

The Sphere Grid system (as its called in the USA), while an interesting and cool way to advance your stats, I really don't play RPG's to level up. To me, that's just a means to an end, and a sometimes painful one too..

And as the game finished, I was relieved. But then I saw the ending, and was crushed. The ending concluded nothing (unless "YAY WE'RE HAPPY!" is something), and I felt like I had wasted my 50+ hours on the game. I came out of the experience a lesser RPG fan (even moreso than I already was BEFORE FFX).

maximus

How dare you speak about Selphie like that! I found her more bearable than Rikku! But you're right about Quina. Useless.
well there also big number of quina fans outthere!^^
there are just some characters that are less interesting, deep or whatever...
as simple as it is:some u like some u don t like...

FFX is the first FF that made me like all characters!
even rikku or kimahri!^^

FF IS GREAT! 8)

The only thing that I didn't get was the way they could all breathe underwater for ample amounts of time :-/
Not _all_ of them. It's a trick you need to know.
You can stay underwater longer because there's a lot of Pyreflies in water, and Pyreflies are life energy, so you can learn to use them instead of breathing.

the plot was very poorly executed(it wasn't a bad story, but that everything was relvelead in the last two hours of the game was a very bad decision of the story writers)
I don't have a problem with the couple of plot twists being near the end of the game?
I didn't like the water world the game took place
Er... How is that a "water world", exactly? ^^;
You spend most of the game on land, don't you?
the general linearity
Final Fantasy games are linear. That one is no exception. It's just more obvious as there's no "world map". But "world maps" only gave you the _illusion_ the previous games were less linear (in the end, there's always _one_ place where you can go, and all the others are either inaccessible or "empty").
the lack of a real overland map(like in the previous parts)
How is that a problem? The only use of the map was to go from one point to another. And you can do that in "Final Fantasy X" as well, only this time, you get to travel in a realistic environment, and to mett other people...

Maybe it was the american voice acting that ruined my perception of everything
'Could be... I can't stand the English version.
And as the game finished, I was relieved. But then I saw the ending, and was crushed. The ending concluded nothing
How so? There's closure.

D

Drachenfels

I don't have a problem with the couple of plot twists being near the end of the game?

Me neither. But if everything what comes before the ending is simply boring, well, it ruins the story for me.

Er... How is that a "water world", exactly? ^^;

I meant the relative heavy water theme of the world, at least it seemed so to me. Everyone there and their grandma seem to be Blitzball players there.

Final Fantasy games are linear. That one is no exception. It's just more obvious as there's no "world map". But "world maps" only gave you the _illusion_ the previous games were less linear (in the end, there's always _one_ place where you can go, and all the others are either inaccessible or "empty").

Of course all FFs are fairly linear - but FFX went over the top. Compare it with FFVI, and you see the difference.

How is that a problem? The only use of the map was to go from one point to another. And you can do that in "Final Fantasy X" as well, only this time, you get to travel in a realistic environment, and to mett other people...

Realistic enviroment? What more realistic about this part then compared to the other parts?
I like it to be able to travel the world freely, and get the feelign that I  AM actually in this world, on this planet. But not so with ffx. You just had a stupid map, you click there, and then it teleports you to this place. It doesn't feel like you were in an airship, but in some obscure teleporter machine of star trek.

EDIT:

there are just some characters that are less interesting, deep or whatever...

The only problem was that all of FFX's characters were simply underdeveloped. The only focus was on Yuna and Dennis, another mistake of the game.

Me neither. But if everything what comes before the ending is simply boring, well, it ruins the story for me.
I didn't think it was boring, myself.
Realistic enviroment? What more realistic about this part then compared to the other parts?
You're not a giant man running across a small and empty world anymore?
I like it to be able to travel the world freely, and get the feelign that I  AM actually in this world, on this planet. But not so with ffx. You just had a stupid map, you click there, and then it teleports you to this place. It doesn't feel like you were in an airship, but in some obscure teleporter machine of star trek.
You don't have to always use the airship, after all. ^_^;
And it wasn't technically possible to keep the same level of detail with a world map, obviously...
The only problem was that all of FFX's characters were simply underdeveloped. The only focus was on Yuna and Dennis, another mistake of the game.
I disagree. Tidus (he's not "Dennis" in the original version ^^;) being the narrator and the "Mt Gagazet plot-twist" being what it is, yes, his character was probably more developped than the other ones.
But Yuna's background wasn't _that_ more developped than the other character's, she was just "the Summoner" of the party during most of the game. Actually, Auron's character probably has a deeper background than she has...
The only character that felt like "he wasn't even there" when the story wasn't focusing on his own story was probably Kimahri, in my opinion... The fact he doesn't talk that much obviously didn't help... ^^;

D

Drachenfels

I didn't think it was boring, myself.

Different strokes for different strokes... or something like that.

You're not a giant man running across a small and empty world anymore?

No, now you're just some Star Trek dude that can teleport from a holo deck that gives the fake imagine of a air ship to anywhere in the world.

You don't have to always use the airship, after all. ^_^;

Yeah, but it's no fun for me running hours and hours only to get to the next location, and fighting countless random encounters on that way.

And it wasn't technically possible to keep the same level of detail with a world map, obviously...

So why not scale it down a little?

I disagree. Tidus (he's not "Dennis" in the original version ^^;)

Well, he certainly behaves like he was. ;)

being the narrator and the "Mt Gagazet plot-twist" being what it is, yes, his character was probably more developped than the other ones.

The story twist came very unexpected for me. Basically, because it was so incredibly stupid. All of a sudden, Dennis is supposed to be a dream, and not real. They didn't even give a hint about it, they just said "now you are a dream, and no, you won't complain, even if this is completely illogic and stupid".
Oh well. I really didn't expect such a poor story twist from a FF game. But at least it's better then the precessor.

But Yuna's background wasn't _that_ more developped than the other character's, she was just "the Summoner" of the party during most of the game. Actually, Auron's character probably has a deeper background than she has...
The only character that felt like "he wasn't even there" when the story wasn't focusing on his own story was probably Kimahri, in my opinion... The fact he doesn't talk that much obviously didn't help... ^^;

I have no problem with the fact that the past of some characters isn't relvealed, but during the whole story Square had time to develop the characters, but failed, in my eyes. Only Auron was cool. He looks something like an older version of Guts, but I don't see the similaty between him and MacGuyver; maybe because I only know the German version of him(MacGuyver). Auron at least couldn't build a nuclear bomb from a bubblegum and a pencil.

No, now you're just some Star Trek dude that can teleport from a holo deck that gives the fake imagine of a air ship to anywhere in the world.
That's _ellipsis_. ^_^;
So why not scale it down a little?
Because that's what they generally do, and what they tried to avoid this time around?
The story twist came very unexpected for me. Basically, because it was so incredibly stupid.
I don't think it is.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

All of a sudden, Dennis is supposed to be a dream, and not real.
He's real. He's just not a regular human being, made of flesh and blood. He's made of Pyreflies, just like the fiends, the Aeons, Sin, or unsent people...
They didn't even give a hint about it
They did. Tidus didn't know _anything_ about Spira, or about the Bevelle/Zanarkand war.
Also, Jecht disappeared 10 years ago from the summoned Zanarkand, and appeared 10 years ago in Spira. Wasn't that a bit _too_ convenient, for a time travel?

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
Uhhh... Olivier, did you play the Japanese version? I don't remember anything like them saying he's made of Pyreflies in the PAL version!? (Some goes for the underwater breathing thingy.)

D

Drachenfels

That's _ellipsis_. ^_^;

What do you mean?

Because that's what they generally do, and what they tried to avoid this time around?

They were just too lazy to add a decent world map, or had not enough time, in my opinion.

He's real. He's just not a regular human being, made of flesh and blood. He's made of Pyreflies, just like the fiends, the Aeons, Sin, or unsent people...

Oh well. Not that I would care for him. I always thought he was a Dennis the Menace clone...  :p

They did. Tidus didn't know _anything_ about Spira, or about the Bevelle/Zanarkand war.
Also, Jecht disappeared 10 years ago from the summoned Zanarkand, and appeared 10 years ago in Spira. Wasn't that a bit _too_ convenient, for a time travel?

Don't know, the game wasn't involving enough that I would care of think very much about the story.

maximus

They were just too lazy to add a decent world map, or had not enough time, in my opinion.
no i don t think so!
Don't know, the game wasn't involving enough that I would care of think very much about the story.
:-/

well nobody forces u to play FF anymore!
i for myself like the concept of FF and i will not stop playin it!
i just hear blabla...its always the same blabla the story has not that niveau for my high intelligence blabla...
why don t u just drop it!?
or why don t u create a game for ya self?i wonder what thats gonna be like? ::)

Olivier, did you play the Japanese version?
Yes.
I don't remember anything like them saying he's made of Pyreflies in the PAL version!?
It's not plainly said in the game (it's explained in official material though), but it's logical: the "dream Zanarkand" is just a huge Aeon.
An Aeon is its Fayth's dream, materialized with Pyreflies by the Summoner.
The "dream Zanarkand" is being dreamt by the Mt. Gagazet Fayths, and summoned by Yevon Ju ("Yu Yevon" in the US version). So the city and its inhabitants are entirely made of Pyreflies, just like "regular" Aeons (that's why Auron, being an Unsent and made of Pyreflies himself, could live in it).
(Some goes for the underwater breathing thingy.)
Some goes indeed. ^^

What do you mean?
You don't actually "teleport", you just don't see the ship picking you up and traveling through Spira.
They couldn't do a _complete_ world map with the same level of detail. It's just not possible, technically. And they wanted to keep the level of detail consistent throughout the whole game.
That's all.

D

Drachenfels

EDIT:
I completly agree with you Max, everyone is entitled to his own opinion.  8)

Anyway, I don't see that there is much detail in FFX except in the pre-rendered backgrounds. The graphically most demanding Objects in the game were the characters, and since you only have to show one(or a airship instead) at one time on the overland-map, I think it would be very realistic to use one. The ps2 is a crappy system, but not as bad as not being able to show a decent overland-map.

Oh, and VII, VI and VIII were my favorite FFs. 8)

Anyway, I don't see that there is much detail in FFX except in the pre-rendered backgrounds.
Don't you think it's "a bit" more detailed than the world maps of the previous Final Fantasy games? -__-;
The graphically most demanding Objects in the game were the characters, and since you only have to show one(or a airship instead) at one time on the overland-map, I think it would be very realistic to use one.
No, it wouldn't be. Just think. They'd have to create an _entire world_ with the same amount of details as the _path_ you're taking during the game. Towns, people, vegetation.
We're not there yet.

D

Drachenfels

Don't you think it's "a bit" more detailed than the world maps of the previous Final Fantasy games? -__-;

The map you use to teleport around in the airship? ???

No, it wouldn't be. Just think. They'd have to create an _entire world_ with the same amount of details as the _path_ you're taking during the game. Towns, people, vegetation.
We're not there yet.

I meant they should have made a map like in the previous parts, you misunderstood me.

Top Bottom