European FFX

The map you use to teleport around in the airship?  ???
No! ^^;
Everything in the game. The world you travel in. It's a fusion of the "traditional" "towns"/"dungeons" and the world map of the previous game. Now, they're seemlessly connected and maintan the same level of detail. That's what they wanted to accomplish in this game.
I meant they should have made a map like in the previous parts, you misunderstood me.
But that's what they _didn't want_ to do! ^__^;;
The point was to _not_ "cheat" by changing the scale or the level of details.
The fact that the game was based on a pilgrimage, i.e. that the characters were following a path helped the staff because it justified the fact that only a part of the world was visited. It allowed them to keep the same scale and the same level of detail throughout the whole game. They only had to sacrifice the whole "flying around in an airship" thing as it still not technically possible to create an entire world that detailed. And what's the point in flying over an "empty" world, after all?

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
No! ^^;
Everything in the game. The world you travel in. It's a fusion of the "traditional" "towns"/"dungeons" and the world map of the previous game. Now, they're seemlessly connected and maintan the same level of detail. That's what they wanted to accomplish in this game.
The fact that the game was based on a pilgrimage, i.e. that the characters were following a path helped the staff because it justified the fact that only a part of the world was visited. It allowed them to keep the same scale and the same level of detail throughout the whole game. They only had to sacrifice the whole "flying around in an airship" thing as it still not technically possible to create an entire world that detailed. And what's the point in flying over an "empty" world, after all?
yep thats the point!
yet i wanna to add that i really liked the world map with all its secrets and hints...
i mean it creates just a different feeling...
i have to say that i like FFX pretty much and i even the luv for detail in it ,however i miss the god ol world map a little bit!
u know flying around wherever u want, discovering new things and being kind of independent what u do next...
i mean in FFX you r independent too, but not being able to cruise around on the world map by urself takes away a little of FF s spirit in my opinion!

hopefully it will be soon possible to create such a detailed map that we aren t dependent anymore on coordinates but on ourselfes again!?

D

Drachenfels

No! ^^;

There is no same level of detail, look below.

They do it all the time, didn't you notice how the game often changed from beautiful, pre-rendered scenes to average looking 3d-levels?

Sorry, I don't like games that dictate me 100% where I have to go and don't let me have the slightest freedom. Of course, you don't like non-lineartity as much as I do.

They do it all the time, didn't you notice how the game often changed from beautiful, pre-rendered scenes to average looking 3d-levels?
That's not during gameplay.
They just couldn't make you pilot the airship in a realistic 3D world map. It would have been impossible technically _and_ pretty much useless.
Sorry, I don't like games that dictate me 100% where I have to go and don't let me have the slightest freedom.
I think you probably shouldn't play Final Fantasy games, then...
And how piloting the airship in real time would change anything about that anyway?
Of course, you don't like non-lineartity as much as I do.
Do I know you?

D

Drachenfels

That's not during gameplay.
They just couldn't make you pilot the airship in a realistic 3D world map. It would have been impossible technically _and_ pretty much useless.

Making a game better by giving the player more freedom is useless?
Oh, and where did you hear the rumour that ANY FF game is realistic?

I think you probably shouldn't play Final Fantasy games, then...

Yep, everyone who doesn't worship FFX shouldn't play any FF game anymore.

And how piloting the airship in real time would change anything about that anyway?

It would give you a better feeling for the world, and not simply a teleporter.

Do I know you?

No, I just draw my conclusions from your answers here.

Letting you pilot the airship in real time wouldn't give you any more "freedom". "Illusion of freedom", maybe, but that would be all.
I'm just saying that Final Fantasy games are generally linear. If you don't like linear games, you should probably try other RPGs.
It would give you a better feeling for the world, and not simply a teleporter.
Well, you can _walk_ through the game, if you want to?
No, I just draw my conclusions from your answers here.
Don't.
Just because I happen to like a linear game, it doesn't mean that I don't like less linear ones.

maximus

Oh, and where did you hear the rumour that ANY FF game is realistic?
so u don t play FF anymore?
which rpg would u than recommend us to play?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I’m sorry, this is random and off-topic, but I’d just like to say how much I’ve enjoyed this thread thus far. Watching guys try to outwit Olivier is like watching birds try to fly through glass. Keep up the hilarity.

-Griffith

A Hint From Master Paradiselost: …to beat the oliver-weapon my dears... you cannot try to be outsmart him…so instead outdumb him… ;)

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I’m sorry, this is random and off-topic, but I’d just like to say how much I’ve enjoyed this thread thus far. Watching guys try to outwit Olivier is like watching birds try to fly through glass. Keep up the hilarity.

-Griffith

A Hint From Master Paradiselost: …to beat the oliver-weapon my dears... you cannot try to be outsmart him…so instead outdumb him… ;)

:D theres only a certain amount of stupid Olivier can take.

Posted by: Olivier Hague
The story has few plot twists, but at the end, it's more coherent than any of the previous "PlayStation Final Fantasy games". I thought the world was "believable".
Apart, maybe, from Kimahri, there was no totally useless character, in my opinion.
The sidequests can keep you busy for hours.
I really liked the music, overall.
I liked the ending.

I'm wondering what aspect I _didn't_ like, actually...

Kimahri was useless? yes and no, i mite not remember but didn't Kimahri take Yuna back to the village when she was a kid? but he was useless as a fighter. only reson he was in there was because they wanted a blue mage. >:(

Kimahri was useless? yes and no, i mite not remember but didn't  Kimahri take Yuna back to the village when she was a kid?
Yeah (except that it wasn't "back": Yuna lived in Bevelle before that), but since he doesn't talk, his character isn't quite developped... For most of the game, he's just the blue guy in the background, in my opinion... ^^;
but he was useless as a fighter. only reson he was in there was because they wanted a blue mage.  >:(
Yeah, he had to follow another character's path on the Sphere grid very early on, and his Overdrives weren't that useful either, so...

D

Drachenfels

-Griffith

Huh? "outwit"? I was just merely stating my opinion, just like Olli was stating his. Nothing is proven here. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

EDIT:
I bet you really laughed your ass off watching this debate.

D

Drachenfels

Letting you pilot the airship in real time wouldn't give you any more "freedom". "Illusion of freedom", maybe, but that would be all.

As long as it feels like I have more freedom in the game, I have a better time, and that's what counts.

I'm just saying that Final Fantasy games are generally linear. If you don't like linear games, you should probably try other RPGs.

I played enough RPGs to know I rather prefer japanese ones.
As long as the linearity doesn't go to far, I can live with it. But FFX definetly went too far. But the linearity is only one point that I didn't like about FFX.

Well, you can _walk_ through the game, if you want to?

You don't get a right feeling for the world just by passing trough locations(which very far less then in the previous parts) and fighting bazillions of random encounters(and you can't go back to many of the locations you previously visited). Flying with an airship, and watching the world below you, gives you the feeling to be actually there. That's what I'm missing.

As long as it feels like I have more freedom in the game, I have a better time, and that's what counts.
I can understand that.
I played enough RPGs to know I rather prefer japanese ones.
Er... Well, I didn't expect that kind of reply. I wasn't even thinking of non-Japanese RPGs when I wrote my previous message. ^_^;
As long as the linearity doesn't go to far, I can live with it. But FFX definetly went too far.
I don't think it really was more linear than the previous Final Fantasy games... It just doesn't hide the fact that it's linear as much as they did. ^_^;
And it's kinda justified by the plot (pilgrimage)...
You don't get a right feeling for the world just by passing trough locations
I don't get a very "right feeling of the world" by flying over an empty 3D world map, myself...
Especially when I do geographical stunts like flying from the north pole (well... the _only_ pole of that world, apparently) to what appears to be the "equator" (it's sunny, anyway?) just by going "north" a bit further...
It just doesn't feel "right" at all... ^^;
(and you can't go back to many of the locations you previously visited)
Er... Like which ones?

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
With all this Final Fantasy talk, I thinks it time for me to dust off the NES and pop in FF and take a stroll down memory lane.

Maybe I'll make time for some Dragon Warrior reminiscing too.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
well, i've finished the game.

what can i say? it's a good game. i doubt there's a game that is as outstanding in so much different areas as FFX is. The animation is beautiful and the entire CGI and Game Graphik is just breathtaking.
The Story is nice. not as good as the story of FFVII in my opinion but still. It was virtually the first time in a final fantasy game where _all_ characters were quite cool. can't think of anyone in the party whom i found annoying.
i wasn't able to identify myself with tidus as much as i could with cloud or with squall.
The Voices were good, while the voiceacting was temporarily... well, let's say it could have been better.

I found the storyline a bit lacking at some points, the decisive battle wasn't really a challenge at all...
i wasn't able to find "der richter", but i got totally devasted by three silver insects or whatever the fuck that was.

oh yeah, and Yojimbo... he rocks!

Zanmatou.

The Story is nice. not as good as the story of FFVII in my opinion but still.
I enjoyed "Final Fantasy VII" but I think the story kinda falls apart towards the second half the game. I think it may have something to do with the way they "rewrote" a huge part pf the plot?... 'Dunno...
It was virtually the first time in a final fantasy game where _all_ characters were quite cool. can't think of anyone in the party whom i found annoying.
My opinion too.
i wasn't able to identify myself with tidus as much as i could with cloud or with squall.
I was afraid I would hate the guy, but he was likebale (in Japanese, anyway... -__-;).
The Voices were good, while the voiceacting was temporarily... well, let's say it could have been better.
I guess you could say that, yeah... ^^;;
the decisive battle wasn't really a challenge at all...
Well, you can't lose, so no, it's not challenging, obviously. ^^
It's part of the ending itself, like the final battle in "Final Fantasy VII", only longer.
i wasn't able to find "der richter", but i got totally devasted by three silver insects or whatever the fuck that was.
To find "der Richter" (renamed "Penance" in the English version), you'll have to defeat all the Dark Aeons (like those "insects") first.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
I enjoyed "Final Fantasy VII" but I think the story kinda falls apart towards the second half the game. I think it may have something to do with the way they "rewrote" a huge part pf the plot?... 'Dunno...
i dunno about that rewriting. but i had quite the same feeling about the ending of ffx. i'm talking about that dialogue between jecht and tidus. somehow i felt like something was missing... or too much.
in FFVII i could understand sephiroth motivation just like i did _understand_ griffith motivation in berserk. cloud and sephiroth, i could understand both of them so well, and that's why the conflict between the two of them was so interesting to me.
I was afraid I would hate the guy, but he was likebale (in Japanese, anyway... -__-;).
yeah, his voice acting was an essential factor for me to say: i feel something's not alright with that guy... ;)
i didn't hate him, i just never had the feeling that _i_ was tidus.
It's part of the ending itself, like the final battle in "Final Fantasy VII", only longer.
yeah, but in ffVII it was at least possible to loose.

To find "der Richter" (renamed "Penance" in the English version), you'll have to defeat all the Dark Aeons (like those "insects") first.
oh, so that is why. well i found some of the dark aeons. i didn't stand a chance against one of them. what do you need in order to defeat them? equipment with the auto-phoenix capability?

and who were those insects?

maximus

oh, so that is why. well i found some of the dark aeons. i didn't stand a chance against one of them. what do you need in order to defeat them? equipment with the auto-phoenix capability?

and who were those insects?
first of all u need a lot of time!(i play now 120 hours!)
u gotta level up and get special items to power up ur weapons or to learn abilities!
autophönix,schutzengel,rapid schlag and the solar weapons are only some of the very helpful things u gotta get!
i am still on the way but i am close to beat these dark guys up!

oh and these three strange insects u r talkin about are "the dark magus-trio"= an aeon that u can get additionally!
richter gonna appear after defeating all dark bestias!:p

i use to level up at the monster-farm where u can fight against real tough monsters too-costs gil but u get lots of AP!
what can i say ..?

...i luv FFX!

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
oh and these three strange insects u r talkin about are "the dark magus-trio"= an aeon that u can get additionally!
thanks for the info.

so that was the last aeon you can achieve. i see.

i think i found the temple where you can get it. problem was i couldn't find anima, so i was unable to go get the magus-trio.

and wtf are the solar weapons? i found some tokens with the name of the planets. (mars, venus) and sol. does this have something to do with it?

maximus

thanks for the info.

so that was the last aeon you can achieve. i see.
u can find anima in the yevon tempel baaj(secret area;underwater).
BUT u gotta have six bonus objects that are not that easy to get...(u gotta get again over the dark aeons before!)

and wtf are the solar weapons? i found some tokens with the name of the planets. (mars, venus) and sol. does this have something to do with it?
"Waffen des Solaris"=Powerful weapons that can be powered up through special items as f.ex.:the mars siegel/marke,venus siegel/marke...
u do that in macalania wood but u need the "solaris spiegel" to do this level up!
u can power up these weapons twice so u need for example for yunas "Nirvana"(at the monster farm in the chest) a lunar-marke and a lunar siegel to awake the true power of the solaris weapon.
eventually those weapons got abilities like:tripel ekstase,hit -expander,doppel-ap,...and they even are connected to ur aeons in the way that every weapon has one hit expander for a proper aeon!
but first of all u got to get them firstly cauz they are not easy to find!!O_O

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Not as far as I know? ?_?
>_<

are we talking about the same game?
i'm totally sure you could have lost against the one winged angel (sephiroth) in ffVII.

???

u can find anima in the yevon tempel baaj(secret area;underwater).
BUT u gotta have six bonus objects that are not that easy to get...(u gotta get again over the dark aeons before!
so that temple i found was the one of anima, not of the magus sisters. is it the temple where you have to fight that monster you met in the very beginning of the game?
i thought those 6 statues were representing the secret treasures of the other yevon-temples?

???

but first of all u got to get them firstly cauz they are not easy to find!!O_O

did you do all that stuff?

???

Griffith

Olivier’s talking about the “final battle” between Sephiroth and Cloud. The one where you either Omnislash him or wait for Cloud to kill him with counter attack because… well, it’s hilariously anti-climatic to watch. ^_^

Likewise, perhaps you and Olivier are also talking about two different “decisive battles” in FFX?

-Griffith

P.S. And no, it isn’t possible to lose to Sephiroth’s One-Winged Angel form, unless you really suck. :)

saferseph.gif

“Look out! When Cloud hits level 98, I get a huge power upgrade, too bad it’s only enough so he won’t just kill me outright in the first round… if I’m lucky.”

Am I the only one who feels Sephiroth should have been powered up in addition to the new Weapons in the U.S. and International versions? Simply from a pure logic point of view, the Weapons would have destroyed Sephiroth themselves had they been so much more powerful. And how did the T-1000 travel back in time since he has no organic shell, huh? That’s what I’d like to know!
goodblow.jpg

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Olivier&#8217;s talking about the &#8220;final battle&#8221; between Sephiroth and Cloud. The one where you either Omnislash him or wait for Cloud to kill him with counter attack
oh, yeah you're right. well, i didn't count that one as a battle. The one in FFX counted as a battle for me, because it took a few minutes.

Likewise, perhaps you and Olivier are also talking about two different &#8220;decisive battles&#8221; in FFX?

you're right again. i was talking about the braska's heavy-metal-jecht-aeon. that was such a cute opponent.

P.S. And no, it isn&#8217;t possible to lose to Sephiroth&#8217;s One-Winged Angel form, unless you really suck. :)

you're right again.

Simply from a pure logic point of view, the Weapons would have destroyed Sephiroth themselves had they been so much more powerful

it is indeed not logical, but the weapons are usually stronger than the main enemy in any final fantasy game.

who is this guy?

Griffith

who is this guy?
goodblow.jpg
"Who am I? You sure you wanna know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale; if somebody told you I was just your average, ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied.”

-Griffith

Top Bottom