Best RGP ever?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
what is the best RGP you know?

I love final fantasy!
(as you might already have noticed :))

i dunno about xenogears, i heard it's great, but i haven't played it yet.

does any of you play non video-game RPG's?
anyone knows Shadowrun, Earthdawn or GURPS?

D

Drachenfels

FF VII, Shining Force and BG2 are my favorites, along with some old 16Bit RPGs.
Xenogears is supposed to have a great storyline, but I have yet to see it. The huge downside of the game are the random fights, they occur every 10 seconds or so.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Best RPG or best game that came from the RPG cloak?

Morrowind is being hailed as the best RPG so far, even though I hate the hell out of it. Its the ultimate "role playing" game. But who gives a crap about that anyway.. most RPG fans could care less about that aspect. I and most others, are in it for the plot, or whatever the hell square does to their games to give them their flavor.

And so, Id have to say the best game to use the RPG cloak is FF6. Its still my favorite game ever. Maybe its nostalgia, maybe its true, who cares I love it.

Xenogears takes a close second for being the best story Ive ever played. Thats right, best story I've ever played. I hated the gameplay but the characters and development was worth the pain, by far.

D

Drachenfels

Best RPG or best game that came from the RPG cloak?

Morrowind is being hailed as the best RPG so far, even though I hate the hell out of it. Its the ultimate "role playing" game. But who gives a crap about that anyway.. most RPG fans could care less about that aspect. I and most others, are in it for the plot, or whatever the hell square does to their games to give them their flavor

MW is no real RPG for me, just a very nice exploration game. You have tons of boring and repeating side-quests, and a main plot line that is a side-quest itself.
And I didn't find any real "roleplaying" aspect in the game. You could either accept or decline quests and run around in the wilderness, but nothing more.
Overall, the game is rather poorly executed.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I was hooked on Ultima Online for the longest time. that game was addictive. The only FF game i've played in its entireity was FFVII, now that was good.

D

Drachenfels

FF 8 was great, far better then the utter piece of monkey crap that 9 was.
I still can't believe that Square really created such shit like FF 9. But even the best company makes sometimes mistakes, I gues.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
No, you're all wrong, it's Chrono Trigger.

-Griffith

P.S. Though, FFVII is my personal favorite.

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
FF 8 was great, far better then the utter piece of monkey crap that 9 was.
I still can't believe that Square really created such shit like FF 9. But even the best company makes sometimes mistakes, I gues.
yeah u are right ff9 wasn t a step foward...
on the other hand it wasn t too bad though...
my opinion bout it has ever been that it is just a part to fill up the gap between 8 and 10.

Griffith

Perhaps so, but I’d say stepping away from FFVIII in any direction is automatically a plus; it’s an inescapable sinkhole of role-playing game mediocrity. A completely streamlined, straight-forward, mass-market RPG designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Don’t believe me? You need look no further than the simplified interface, paper thin plot, and of course, the awful, awful characters (with the exception of Luguna Loire); it was like playing Final Fantasy 90210. If you want me to elaborate on my claims, I’d be more than happy to, but if you’re really an avid FFVIII fan…I don’t recommend it.

-Griffith

P.S. In it’s defense, the opening FMV was quite impressive. ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps so, but I’d say stepping away from FFVIII in any direction is automatically a plus; it’s an inescapable sinkhole of role-playing game mediocrity.  A completely streamlined, straight-forward, mass-market RPG designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Don’t believe me? You need look no further than the simplified interface, paper thin plot, and of course, the awful, awful characters (with the exception of Luguna Loire); it was like playing Final Fantasy 90210. If you want me to elaborate on my claims, I’d be more than happy to, but if you’re really an avid FFVIII fan…I don’t recommend it.  

-Griffith
Hey now. You can't attack FFVIII without adequately justifying your love for FFVII. There are several here who are keeping their mouths shut during all this "FFVII is great" babble being spoken, simply to make things less dirty.

BOB

poruno sutâ
Does Dungeon Siege count?
It is rather a hack & slay thing like Diablo but you play a party with some Character development and it looks sweeeet

Griffith

I like it dirty.

I’ll be happy to make a proper defense when I’ve heard an adequate attack, so you nay sayers loose your barbed tongues and let us dance, I look forward to it. What sort of attacks can I expect, “I NOO GOTS THE STORAY, GAME VRY BAD< WAREZ SCHADOW AND INTERCEPTOR?!” You see, I find the biggest strike against FFVII is that many people didn’t understand the intricacies of the plot due to the game’s poor translation and…how to put this delicately, their own “limiting factors”. I think that’s why FFVIII’s script was kept simple to the point that every character essentially had the same back story; what a colorful, encompassing, and diverse world Square painted with that one (just like the awesome FF movie). Anyway, the real issue here appears to be that nobody can even defend VIII poorly (the only possible way). The best attempt by anyone has been to ham handedly change the subject (a good idea frankly, all this FFVIII talk will give me nightmares, “Help, the story is collapsing right on top of me!”). By the way, these silent detractors of FFVII, what do they think of VIII? I’m just curious. ;D

-Griffith

Favorite RGP eh? The Rocket Grenade Propeller in Duke Nukem 3D was pretty sweet, so I'll say that.
....what?

Talk about lame, I apologize. Favorite RPG is without a doubt Final Fantasy IV (II in the US). I still love the music and the characters tremendously and I so wish they had come back for another adventure together. THIS game epitomizes what I want so much from games now...keep the art good but simple, and just make a really really long excellent story. Despite the original translation errors/game modifications, this game just rocked my world. I went through it start to finish at least 10 times and it never got boring. Or maybe I just had way too much time on my hands...

I like it dirty.
I’ll be happy to make a proper defense when I’ve heard an adequate attack, so you nay sayers loose your barbed tongues and let us dance, I look forward to it. What sort of attacks can I expect, “I NOO GOTS THE STORAY, GAME VRY BAD< WAREZ SCHADOW AND INTERCEPTOR?!” You see, I find the biggest strike against FFVII is that many people didn’t understand the intricacies of the plot due to the game’s poor translation and…how to put this delicately, their own “limiting factors”.  I think that’s why FFVIII’s script was kept simple to the point that every character essentially had the same back story; what a colorful, encompassing, and diverse world Square painted with that one (just like the awesome FF movie). Anyway, the real issue here appears to be that nobody can even defend VIII poorly (the only possible way). The best attempt by anyone has been to ham handedly change the subject (a good idea frankly, all this FFVIII talk will give me nightmares, “Help, the story is collapsing right on top of me!”).  By the way, these silent detractors of FFVII, what do they think of VIII? I’m just curious. ;D
FF7 was a decent game, but most of that came from the fact that it was an RPG pioneer or sorts. The finer details that should have been paid attention to such as the music, translation, and characters weren't as developed as previous installments. A lot of that focus went into making the CG, making it look good, etc etc. I really did like the Materia system though, aside from when you watch your younger brother put Quadra Magic and Bahamut ZERO in one chain and he uses it. UGH :-X
And I completely agree with you on the FF8-90210 comment...all the characters looked like movie stars - Irvine didn't look like Brad Pitt at ALL, did he? The whole look of the game was ridiculously idealistic, and that killed it for me. That and Squall's *sudden* change of heart. PLEASE. It wasn't the story of love, Squall just wanted some bumpin and grindin. Hell, you would too if you had to have Zell as a best friend for so long :p
Plot was loose and you didn't care about it, character "development" felt really random, and the battle system just sucked.
FF9 I thoroughly enjoyed because I'm just an old man who likes to buy weapons and armor and customize and maximize my characters like crazy. Plus the character designs weren't cut and paste jobs, and all of the characters were distinct. It was also really a 'fantasy,' unlike 7 and 8.
FF10 I'm about to finish, so I don't have a full opinion on it yet. But it's by FAR one of the most linear games I've ever come across. Production values are sky high, and the plot is okay. Gotta see how it ties up though. I may just go ahead and beat it after this post :p

Goddamn, watch out, I might need a publisher for this one...

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~cronus/zcar/zcarass.jpg - check out my new car bitches...it's keeping me from translating for you fiends! ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hey thats my subaru in the back there! Im suing for personal property infringement, ass.

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
...and i still luv FFVIII. ::)
and i still think that it was a big step foward...
maybe not concerning the story or developement of the characters but as the game all together it was just great to play and i enjoyed going through all troubles with squall & co.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
...and i still luv FFVIII. ::)
and i still think that it was a big step foward...
maybe not concerning the story or developement of the characters but as the game all together it was just great to play and i enjoyed going through all troubles with squall & co.
Yeah the draw system really appealed to me ;)

What's with all the FF 8 dissin? It's a just a damn video game! Who cares if someone lists it as one of their favs?

As for my favorites: FF 3(6), Chrono Trigger, FF 7, FF 10, Baldur's Gate 2, and Planescape: Torment.

I agree about Xenogears having an incredible story but shitty gameplay.

Hey thats my subaru in the back there! Im suing for personal property infringement, ass.
scoobysubaru.jpg

^--- Walter's real dream car

hey can i barrow it i just need it to start a fire.
I should kill you for even conceiving that thought.

Top Bottom