Love Scene Between Casca and Guts

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Beings_Mythos said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else find the love scene between Casca and Guts in Vol. 10 romantic and somewhat relatable?

You said it yourself. It's a love scene and it's quite touching for both of them.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Especially when they first kiss in front of the water fall, that scene was very real. I mean, at first Casca is attacking Guts, then she stabs him, then she tries to kill herself, and then finally when Guts is holding her in they kiss. So many emotions, hate, despair, love. Thats one of my favorite episodes. Makes me feel like a little schoolgirl when I read it. :isidro:

Oh yeah, it was Vol. 9. Much thanks for the correction.

This is the path in which I found Berserk:
Became fan of Iced Earth > saw AMV of Iced Earth and Berserk > wow that anime looks like it kicks ass > bought the whole anime series from ebay > realized it was from a manga thats better than the anime > bought manga

The waterfall scene was pretty heavy. But I don't think I portroyed "romantic and somewhat relatable" correctly in the manner I meant. Sorrey about that, my bad.

The reality, acuracy.
First, it being Casca's first time and her bleeding because of it. Thats a detail that would be left out by most any other author. Talk about realistic. People might find it gross, but imagine it. Thats something that some people end up relating to their first time. It is gross in a way, but what it signifies for the couple if they truely love each other is not. The blood in reality is gross, but what it signifies is the realistic "romantic" I was going for.

Second. I don't know if any of you have ever been in a relationship with someone who's suicidal, was molested through-out childhood, then had their virginity taken by rape from someone that you both knew. When "intimate things happen between them" one can't help but wonder if what they're doing only reminds the other of the events they've repressed from in their memory from childhood. You can't call them beautiful even though they are, because it will trigger they're equivalent to a Nam trip and they're depression kicks into gear.

Anyways, the faces in that love scene might have reminded you of one thing, hopefully more pleasant, but they reminded me of the same faces of insecurity that i've seen. The scars (both metaphorical and literal), Guts Nam trip, Casca's hollow looking eyes.

This wasn't some hentai scene, it wasn't some perfect world, it wasn't thown in there just to show that they loved each other. What has allways attracted me to Berserk is the reality. You make what you can of life. Great things happen if you work hard, but some awfully atrocious things happen to people and those leak into every aspect of life. The love sene between the two seemed all to realistic for me. I was just wondering if anyone else "found it relatable" as in very realistic.

I'm not telling anyone to spill themselves out to us, but I sort of had to myself so that you guys could get more of an idea of what I meant.

You know what nevermind, I don't want people to get the wrong idea by this.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Beings_Mythos said:
Second. I don't know if any of you have ever been in a relationship with someone who's suicidal, was molested through-out childhood, then had their virginity taken by rape from someone that you both knew. When "intimate things happen between them" one can't help but wonder if what they're doing only reminds the other of the events they've repressed from in their memory from childhood. You can't call them beautiful even though they are, because it will trigger they're equivalent to a Nam trip and they're depression kicks into gear.

Yea, I know exactly what you mean. I've been there with someone who had all those things happen to them. It makes the Berserk scene all that more relateable.

I've actually been there too but usually I notice people like that to throw themselves into the moment all that much more, even sometimes to their detriment. Though, again, Casca is in quite the awkward place in her life at this point too.

Now that's more of what I was getting at.

Even though i'm spiritual, this is the type of realism that drew me so strongly to Berserk. You can't relate to perfection, you can't relate to high fantasy, or Naruto. Well you could to some degrees I guess, but not in the vein like Berserk. I can't personally relate to slaying a 100 men in one night, but we see such violence in the media and news (lets please not stray into politics for examples). Some people can't relate to sexual abuse, but we see so many that have fallen victim (unless one is VERY sheltured).

Either Kentaro Miura decided to create a character and say "Everything evil and dramatic that could possibly happen to a human in life is going to happen to these poor sods, and then i'll bring in spirutual forces and take it even farther."

Or could he have possibly added these things as he's able to relate to them? If so can he relate to them in an outside point of view? Like he sees it every day and this is a way he copes with it. Or could he have been a victim? Does anyone know where he gets his inspiration for these kind of human atrocities (asides being very observant of human culture present and past)? The more I read Berserk, the more I wonder where it comes from, the more I wonder about Miura.

I know if I'm wrong I'll be corrected almost immediately, but I believe it's been stated by Miura himself that he gets a lot of inspiration from the news and world happenings. He quoted himself as looking at the world sort of from a third person perspective.

Thats what I do myself through art/music/poetry.

Most of the information I find about him is basically related to Berserk, not so much his life or personality. I'd like to know where you found the interview so I can take a look.

Boy, I don't know if I remember where it was from... I either saw it somewhere here on these forums, or perhaps it was the interview with Miura on the Berserk anime DVDs?

Man I just can't remember... sorry! :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The interview video included with the anime, parts 1-3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLtPxJdfAU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQAviQGtQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXlI1_9H0Ro

Okay, all I got to say is this was a touching scene, and considering some violent sexual themes in Berserk, I'm just glad "tenticals" are not involved in Berserk what so ever.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
I know if I'm wrong I'll be corrected almost immediately, but I believe it's been stated by Miura himself that he gets a lot of inspiration from the news and world happenings. He quoted himself as looking at the world sort of from a third person perspective.

He didn't say that he got a lot of inspiration from it, no. Here's what you're thinking of:

ZKK said:
You talk about the universal law of Karma.

Well, how do I put this... When you're a cartoonist and working at home you sit at your desk pretty much all day. You get most of your information about the world from the news on TV. I think that's how most cartoonists spend their days. And then I start to see the whole picture of my point of view towards all the problems that are happening in the world. An average working man living in an average world would have a personal problem. He'd be worried about how his kids are doing in school. But I live in isolation, watching the world only on the news on TV so I start to see the bigger picture. I can look at the world from another angle. I'm not talking about one specific event. If I see news about war in another country of if there's a massacre somewhere in Japan I just look at the world objectively. Religious cults or acts of atrocity have been the topics of the news recently. When I hear those stories, not that I want to find some kind of answer, but it makes me want to visualize what's happening. I just want to see it in my world in my own way. The idea becomes clearer and polished in the process. I think I've said this in an interview before, but when I learned about Tsuchizoku and Futsuzoku [note from Aazealh: refers to the Tutsi and the Hutu], it did influence Berserk. I was writing Berserk watching the incident on the news. And a little while later I wrote about mass psychology in Berserk. I believe that incident made me want to write about it so I would understand it myself. In the beginning, about up to volume five, I was still writing stuff that I had thought of when I was in college. So my real life reflected a lot in the stories in the beginning. And after a while, I started to see the bigger picture.

Death May Die said:
"tenticals"
Bekul said:
Tenticals

Guys... Tentacles.

Top Bottom