Watchmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Deci said:
It's surprisingly refreshing actually. I pretty much expect every movie I watch to suck, so if it's even the slightest bit entertaining then I have a good time.

I don't want to re-enter the Watchmen fray (I have nothing nice to say), but I would like to friendly address this rather strange statement. That your supposed pessimism, which actually implies lofty standards as you believe most fare will fall below them, somehow makes you appreciate those things which fail to meet those standards. A dubious claim indeed, as not only is it contradictory, but you'd actually have us believe that your standards cause your standards to lower below your own standards! Whew. Anyway, you're trying to have it both ways, and mixing up low expectations with low standards themselves. Or, in other words, it's a nice way of saying you like crap. =)

Nothing to be ashamed of though; after all, you're talking to the man considering a treatise on the intangibles of Resident Evil 4. :guts:

X

Xem

Griffith said:
I don't want to re-enter the Watchmen fray (I have nothing nice to say), but I would like to friendly address this rather strange statement. That your supposed pessimism, which actually implies lofty standards as you believe most fare will fall below them, somehow makes you appreciate those things which fail to meet those standards. A dubious claim indeed, as not only is it contradictory, but you'd actually have us believe that your standards cause your standards to lower below your own standards! Whew.

Haha, you actually managed to confuse me on my own quote there. It's not really that hard to understand, but I am glad that you guys seem to take such an interest in me. :slan:

Anyway, you're trying to have it both ways, and mixing up low expectations with low standards themselves.

I don't think so, I have both low expectations and low standards usually. I naturally have a strong pessimistic view on life (low expectations), so I often have to consciously make an effort to see the bright side of things (low standards). This applies mostly to the mainstream aspects of society though. For example, when it comes to anime and manga my standards are through the roof... and we can most likely thank Berserk for that.

In a lot of cases I can find a good perspective on something most people consider horrible. Casting out a positive view amongst a sea of angst-ridden critics if you will. I'll admit I have a strange sense of humor, but this usually gets a good rise from them and a good chuckle from me. And wouldn't you know it, every once in a while one of these critics will actually see my point and take my side on it.

The confusion for me is I actually thought Watchmen was good, not the MOST AMAZING THING EVAR OMGORGASM good, but pretty good. I just didn't immediately pick up the "Oh God they're adapting another of Alan Moore's works" mentality the second I heard about it. Most likely because I also really enjoyed V for Vendetta (even more than Watchmen).

Or, in other words, it's a nice way of saying you like crap. =)

That's one way of saying it I guess.

I often remind my friends that if I didn't like something than it must be really, really, really bad. I'm like the king's food taster, if the food poisons me and I die than you know that it's not good to eat.

Nothing to be ashamed of though; after all, you're talking to the man considering a treatise on the intangibles of Resident Evil 4. :guts:

Let's hear it! :griffnotevil:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
IESB claims a source at Warner is saying they’re unlikely to do another R-rated “tentpole” movie - and keep in mind they have Terminator Salvation coming out this summer and it’s still unrated.

number five Watchmen’s total climbed to $98.1 million, which is only slightly ahead of number nine Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail (with $87 million total so far). Yikes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's kind of a hilarious predicament Snyder has created. A movie as controversial as Watchmen would never win over the popular crowd, so it has to rely on a cult success. However, they've already pissed off their cult fanbase with their shitty treatment of the source material.

So... who exactly was supposed to like this movie? The slim market of comic book fanboys who for some reason still haven't read Watchmen? That seems to be the case here on SKnet at least, among those that say they genuinely enjoyed it.

Watchmen: 64%
V for Vendetta: 73%
300: 60%
lol :ganishka:
Scores taken from RT.

Consensus: Gritty and visually striking, Watchmen is a faithful adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel, but its complex narrative structure may make it difficult for it to appeal to viewers not already familiar with the source material.

I'm with Walter on this, if even the so called "consensus" admits that the general audience will have a tough time.. then what crowd was this aimed at. If I recall correctly, Hayter's letter was aimed at all the haters who have already read the GN.

Griffith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w&fmt=18

New show for all you hardcore Watchmen movie fans out there.
Executive produced by visionary Watchmen co-creator Zack Snyder!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:

Haha, that was really well done.  Good find, Griff. I especially liked Ozy saving The Comedian at the last moment.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Griffith said:

Oh, that nutty Rorschach. Always getting in to trouble. I love the episode where Rorschach's dog dies in a car accident, and the team has to teach him how to accept his poor friend's death as part of the cycle of life. The Niteowl Says segment at the end was kind cheesy though, did they really need to tell kids not to play with car lighters?

X

Xem

I've made a point to ask most people I come in contact who've read the graphic novel what they think about the movie. After roughly a week I've asked about 7-8 people, all of who were die hard fans of the novel, and they all loved the movie. The main comment I've received regarding changes in the novel was, "The stuff that was changed needed to be changed.... though it was relevant at the time, it's kinda silly now." =/

:judo:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Me and my friend played through the entire Watchman:The End is Nigh xbox live arcade game last night. It was actually fun. Short, but fun on co-op. The cut scenes were in the style of the motion comic and the story was about Night Owl and Rorschach teaming up to get some escaped convict, with guest appearances by most of the other main characters. It was a very well made game considering it was created as an arcade game specifically, and I'm not taking the story into account which has nothing to do with the Watchmen universe. Easily dismissed yet I'll admit, it was fun running around as Rorschach violently beating guys to a pulp.

I also watched the Tales from the black Freighter animation. It was short but very well done. The animation a little too colorful and not how I imagined it was suppose to look in the graphic novel...but it did follow the story and it was very graphic, almost too graphic for such cartoony animation.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Oburi said:
I also watched the Tales from the black Freighter animation. It was short but very well done. The animation a little too colorful and not how I imagined it was suppose to look in the graphic novel...but it did follow the story and it was very graphic, almost too graphic for such cartoony animation.
I really liked Under the Hood, and I think even the people who hated the movie and loved the graphic novel would like it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Darklink286 said:
I really liked Under the Hood, and I think even the people who hated the movie and loved the graphic novel would like it.

Yea that was interesting as well. Very well done. I was surprised to see some of the actors from the film in the documentary. Same with the game, the real actors did the voices did for the game, which really helped to get into it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://film-book.com/watchmen-director’s-cut-differences-from-theatrical-version/

Well I suppose this lists most or all of the additional footage we'll get for the upcoming directors cut dvd. I think this version will be a slightly more faithful version to the comic considering the added scenes and dialog that was cut was from the comic anyway (mostly). I personally can't wait to see this, though it doesn't look like any new scenes will be added to the last act of the film, which is where I think they really needed it. The biggest problem I had with the film was how they left out the final scene with Dr. Manhattan and Adrian Veidt talking. That scene pretty much ties the whole story together and it was just left out all together making those characters feel like they had no proper ending. I read somewhere that the scene was shot and would be added into the film... but i guess not. THat really sucks.

I read the graphic novel and saw the movie.
Personally I liked better the interpretation of the movie that the world thought Dr. Manhattan was the one behind the NY incident instead of a giant retarded looking Squid psychic alien

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
ELEKTRO said:
Personally I liked better the interpretation of the movie that the world thought Dr. Manhattan was the one behind the NY incident instead of a giant retarded looking Squid psychic alien

That's nice, now read pages 1-4 so we can avoid a stupid discussion.

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
That's nice, now read pages 1-4 so we can avoid a stupid discussion.

Too late.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to watch the movie for the first time, the director's cut, at my friend's house the other day and... elected to play Dead Space for five hours instead. I'm confident I made the right decision.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
宮本 グリフィス said:
I had the opportunity to watch the movie for the first time, the director's cut, at my friend's house the other day and... elected to play Dead Space for five hours instead. I'm confident I made the right decision.

Is it because in space no one can hear you scream?

I know it's hard to watch unfamiliar movies but with a little courage you can do it! I'm about to watch Top Gun (On BLU RAY :isidro:)
for the first time ever, should I be excited?

yesmilord

千年王国
ELEKTRO said:

I thought the same thing. I still don't think the movie surpasses the source work in several other areas, but it's a damn good job.

Griffith

I find that the rejection of the squid only exemplifies exactly what makes it so effective. The alternative presented in the movie is just the more palatable cookie cutter solution everyone can readily accept within their comfort zone of what's cool or not. That's really what it comes down to. The squid is not immediately consumable, it does not fit into our preconceived notions or parameters of the story and our suspended disbelief. It is unbelievable, alien and unknown, figuratively, literally, and literately, and that was exactly the point, within the story and the reader's mind. It's also why it can not be tempered for the better, unless you're speaking in terms of grounding up a rack of lamb with mint jelly into hamburger meat for a Big Mac. That's basically what they did, and generally speaking, we're "lovin' it!"

On that note, objectively, superheroes and other popular comic concepts like Dr. Manhattan are many times more ludicrous and silly than the idea of the squid, either a real inter-dimensional alien creature or a genetically created one, but nobody thinks that way because we're all culturally conditioned now to think blue supermen in their underwear are acceptable and cool, and to even dress up like them. Which again raises the question; who watches the watchmen? =)

To answer another, yes, the movie and its story is lesser, to understate it wildly, for not having it, and nobody is better for it.

IMHO. :griffnotevil:

Griffith

To answer in kind, what's that say about the people not even sophisticated enough for them? Unless giant naked men are simply your involuntary preference. :troll:
Kidding aside, if you or anyone doesn't like my piece, you can just try and refute it! :daiba:

Which I recommend, smoke, because speaking of trolling, something else that should be brought to your attention:

smoke said:
Giant squids are for sophisticated people.

smoke said:
WHAT IS UP NIGGER HERE HAVE A BEER

smoke said:
Thank god that kid-toucher's in the ground.

smoke said:
This thread is now also for other forms of innebreation besides alcohol.

Marijuana.

These are your last four posts. Really, not your four worst ever (as far as I know), just the last four. While they speak for themselves, I'll add that the three most previous were deleted, the most previous resulted in a thread lock, and the most recent has elicited this warning: you may want to make your next post more worthwhile, lest it be your last.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom