Japanese Boxer Dies From Boxing Injuries

I'm still looking for articles. I'll post what I know of for now.
Hundred of boxing people today (Thursday) attended a funeral service of Masatate Tsuji, Japanese top ranked 105-pound contender, who passed away on Tuesday because of brain hemorrhage after his come-from-behind defeat in a national elimination bout with Yuji Kanemitsu in Tokyo, Japan, last Saturday. Tsuji, 30, had swept almost all rounds before he abruptly succumbed in the tenth and final session. He was the thirty-fifth ring victim since the Japan Boxing Commission (JBC) was established just prior to the first world title bout between Dado Marino and Yoshio Shirai in 1952. It was a horrible shock wave to the Japanese boxing fraternity.
http://www.unifiedchamp.com/ucblog/?p=988
http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:1379474
First in-ring death in Japan, apparently.

Terrible, but I wouldn't call it a tradgedy. At least he died doing what he loved.

Hopefully Japan doesn't ban boxing outright from this - unlikely, but media types can hype something like this for quite awhile, especially given that it's a first.

Bekul said:
Terrible, but I wouldn't call it a tradgedy. At least he died doing what he loved.

Hopefully Japan doesn't ban boxing outright from this - unlikely, but media types can hype something like this for quite awhile, especially given that it's a first.

Well 35 deaths, first in ring ( I think) and that's just for Japan. I don't think its in any immediate danger of being banned. They might revise the rules and suspension times between the fights though.
http://www.maxboxing.com/Gerbasi/gerbasi011003.asp
What I find interesting is that I've heard of boxing related deaths but I haven't really heard of MMA deaths. I mean there was Vasquez in 2006 or 07. Don't really recall any others.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Its just one of those accidents. As the second article says... Japan has very strict rules when it comes to boxing and this tragic event just shows that even when you are very very very careful, these things can happen. Its just life. :sad:

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Ramen4ever said:
What I find interesting is that I've heard of boxing related deaths but I haven't really heard of MMA deaths. I mean there was Vasquez in 2006 or 07. Don't really recall any others.

MMA fighters don't get punched in the head as much. They occasionally eat some absolutely brutal shots, but not nearly as often as boxers. And the refs in general seem quicker to stop a match.

S

smoke

Boxing is such a simple but interesting sport. There's kind of a mystique to the affair, guys putting their lives on the line for sport, and in-ring deaths are pretty much the epitome of that.

Look into the infamous fight between Dook Ku Kim (check my spelling, though) and Ray Mancini. Really tragic but fascinating story.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
smoke said:
Boxing is such a simple but interesting sport. There's kind of a mystique to the affair, guys putting their lives on the line for sport, and in-ring deaths are pretty much the epitome of that.

Look into the infamous fight between Dook Ku Kim (check my spelling, though) and Ray Mancini. Really tragic but fascinating story.

Just FYI to those that don't want to do any searching. That fight was the fight that made boxing as a whole change the amount of rounds to be reduced to 12 instead of 15 I believe.

Top Bottom