News & Not News Megathread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
http://www.katu.com/news/local/65957522.html

Wow, just read it, so many eccentric little details.
It's ridiculous. Any judge worth his salt will throw it out.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
kfc-murder.jpg

Aazealh said:
The ending is killer. The poor dude just loves ice cream. All he wanted was ice cream... IIIIIICE CREEEAAAAM. :mozgus:

Yeah, that's the part that really got to me, that for a convicted murderer and rapist, the guy had the wits about him to literally turn a probable death sentence into pizza and ice cream! And now he's using the legal system to his advantage to sue his victim, and it's working! He's like some evolutionary milestone in the devolution of our civilization; not only will he kidnap, rape, and murder you... then he'll sue!

Walter said:
It's ridiculous. Any judge worth his salt will throw it out.

What's crazy to think about is, what if, his uh, reaction aside, he has a legitimate legal case? :magni:

I can't decide if a judge should throw it out anyway on principle, or uphold it on principle... I mean, there's actual real world logistics here, he could be out in 15 years on good behavior, and I bet he'll still want that 18 thou back. =)

Susumu Hirasawa, famous musician for Berserk fans, was mobbed at Twitter.
It all started from his post:

- たいしたこと書いてないのに3280人とはどういうことだ?おい。
= Would you happen to know why 3280 of people follow me. Here is nothing interesting.
7:33 PM Oct 26th

- 間違えてないか?私は平沢進だぞ。平沢唯じゃない。
= Are you sure you're not mistaking me for Yui Hirasawa? I'm Sususmu Hirasawa.
7:34 PM Oct 26th

After the post his twitter account started to vacuum up followers.
His post challenged geeks who love Yui Hirasawa, current nerd's icon. Please note that Yui Hirasawa was named after Susumu Hirasawa.

- おい、急に3,754は無いだろう。何かインチキやってないか?
= It is too fast to be 3,754. I doubt someone's cheat on me.
8:28 PM Oct 26th webで

- あらー、4,000越えてしまった。悪い冗談だ。私をそっとしておいて。
= Ah, now it's more than 4,000. Bad joke. Please leave me alone.
9:15 PM Oct 26th

- 増えるなーー!!
= Don't follow me!!
9:39 PM Oct 26th

- 平沢進というのは「な~に~?この音楽、きもちわるい」とか、そういう類だから。かわいくないから。
= I'm a kind of "WTF creepy sound" or such. Not a fancy man.
9:41 PM Oct 26th

- 私が「平沢唯」と書いたことにより、多くの皆様を誤った場所に導いてしまったことを深くお詫び申し上げますから。
= I apologize for trapping many people by the trolling word "Yui Hirasawa".
9:46 PM Oct 26th

- 重ねてお詫び申し上げますから。
= I apologize again.
9:51 PM Oct 26th

- 一夜にして3000人増?悪夢だ。
= 3000 of people started to follow me in a night? It's a nightmare.
10:49 AM Oct 27th

- おーい、8,887番目の人。次から来る人に止めたほうがいいって言っといて。
= Hey 8,887th follower, say turn on their heels to the people in your back.
4:56 PM Oct 27th

- あーそう。もうすぐ一万人なの。減るよ、絶対。
= ai. It's almost 10000. will decrease, I bet.
10:38 PM Oct 27th

- あれほど口をすっぱくして言っているのに、まだ増え続ける気だな。
= You followers are still increasing no matter how I have said not to follow me.
11:04 PM Oct 27th

The number of them has exceeded 10000 by the end of Oct 27th.
Now he has over 11000 followers.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Larry David pees on Jesus, pisses off Catholics! :mozgus:

Let's go to Fox News for the proper sense of outrage!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2009/10/28/catholic-league-blasts-larry-david-curb-episode-urinates-jesus/

Foxnews said:
On the show's most recent installment, which aired Sunday, David urinates on a painting of Jesus Christ, causing a woman to believe the painting depicts Jesus crying.
Foxnews said:
During Sunday's episode, David, who created, wrote and produced "Seinfeld," visits a bathroom in his assistant's home and splatters urine on a picture of Jesus. Instead of wiping it off, David leaves the restroom. Minutes later, David's assistant enters the bathroom and concludes that Jesus is crying. She then summons her mother to the bathroom, where both women kneel in prayer.

"When David and Jerry Seinfeld (playing himself) are asked if they ever experienced a miracle, David answers, 'every erection is a miracle,' Donohue's statement continued. "That's what passes for creativity these days."

While the article makes it sound like he was pissing on Jesus like a protester burning a flag, I saw the episode and it was actually unintended splashback due to some medication he was on, giving him an, uh... unruly stream. :carcus:

Anyway, I wouldn't expect overly serious Christians to be amused, but here's one from the Fucking Crybabies Division of the Catholic Church:
Foxnews said:
Deal Hudson, author and publisher of InsideCatholic.com, said he doesn't find any humor in the episode.

"I don't think it's funny," Hudson told Foxnews.com. "Why is it that people are allowed to publicly show that level of disrespect for Christian symbols? If the same thing was done to a symbol of any other religions -- Jewish or Muslim -- there'd be a huge outcry. It's simply not a level playing field."

Sorry pal, but any Christian complaining about not getting a fair shake, in America no less, deserves to be pissed off... or pissed on. :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Haha this is great. I saw the episode the night it aired and that scene was so far from being offensive, at least to me. It was just comedy (and really one of the more goofy episodes) of the entire series and words like "offensive" or "disrespectful" were so far in the back of my mind that they can hardly even be considered to have been thought. Fox news is laughable. Even when I read Griffiths headline I still was scratching my head. It actually took me a few seconds to realize that he was referring to something that happened in the show just a few days ago.

While the article makes it sound like he was pissing on Jesus like a protester burning a flag, I saw the episode and it was actually unintended splashback due to some medication he was on, giving him an, uh... unruly stream.

Come on how can you read that and not have a big goofy smile on your face whether you've seen the show or not? Any guy who has ever had to go the bathroom really bad and steps into someone else's house to let a jet stream knows sometimes there is some splashback, and yea sometimes people have those disturbing pictures of Jesus on the wall and yea... That's why this show is so funny, situational humor that happens to everyone... even Christians.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091028/sc_afp/astronomyspacebigbang_20091028233220

I found this interesting considering it's the oldest thing we have ever seen in the sky. This explosion happened roughly 13 billion years ago, the big bang happened approximately 13.7 billion years ago so yea, thats pretty freakin old.

I concur with Deci.

I'd say that someone needs to hire a new website designer, but this very well might be just the thing that appeals to southern conservatives.

Disaster or stroke of genius?

Edit: Holy cow, if you haven't checked out his forums... well it's worth a depressing laugh.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony Online
http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewstory&threadid=104104

GameSpot reports on a lawsuit filed in US District Court for the Central District of California against Sony, Sony Online Entertainment, and Sony Computer Entertainment America alleging that Sony is violating the Americans with Disabilities Act by failing to make its games accessible to visually impaired gamers. Word is:

The suit also specifies the ways in which other companies have made their games accessible. For instance, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft allows the use of third-party mods in its game, which has led to the creation of several programs to include accessibility aids in the game. The suit also mentions Pin Interactive's action adventure PC game Terraformers, saying high-contrast 3D graphics modes, an audio compass, and voice-over detailing items collected in the game all serve to make the game more accessible.

Beyond the denial of entertainment, the suit also contends that Sony's actions have caused visually impaired gamers a financial loss. Because Sony runs an official auction site where gamers can sell their in-game items for real money, the suit says Stern's inability to participate in that marketplace is costing him money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Beyond the denial of entertainment, the suit also contends that Sony's actions have caused visually impaired gamers a financial loss. Because Sony runs an official auction site where gamers can sell their in-game items for real money, the suit says Stern's inability to participate in that marketplace is costing him money.
This part is just unbelievable. I'll be shocked if this gets any farther than district court.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
This part is just unbelievable. I'll be shocked if this gets any farther than district court.

The whole thing's pretty shameful to be honest. Guy should get a penalty for even daring make such a lawsuit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Apple tablet: One tech gadget for all
http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/16/technology/apple_tablet/index.htm?cnn=yes

...rumors are circulating that Steve Jobs and Co. have designed a magazine-sized, touch-screen, hand-held, all-in-one device that is half-iPhone, half-Macintosh computer.

It's supposedly going to make its debut in the next few months, and you can have it for the low, low price of $600. Or $800. Maybe $1,000. No one's really sure.

If the rumors are true, the tablet will be able to do basically everything a gadget could possibly do. It's an e-reader, a gaming device, and a music player. You can watch TV and movies on it and surf the Internet (or so we've heard).

Goddamn it, this is the last thing I need -- another gadget.

This week a church in Guam pronounced a man and his copy of dating sim Love Plus husband and, well, wife, and the happy couple will be hosting a reception in Japan that you are cordially invited to view tomorrow.

http://kotaku.com/5409877/the-one-about-the-guy-who-married-a-video-game

Little odd but hey I've heard stranger things. Guess the game really IS good like I've been hearing.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
ori said:
http://kotaku.com/5409877/the-one-about-the-guy-who-married-a-video-game

Little odd but hey I've heard stranger things. Guess the game really IS good like I've been hearing.

Seems rather harmless but what if they'd get divorced? I mean, the guy could plead that "his wife" is cheating on him with other gamers on a regular basis. Would either of them be entitled to a partial amount of their aquired assets since their marriage? What about "her" income in revenues from sold games? Judging from other ridiculous court sentences, we might even see the birth of "human rights" for fictional characters (which none of us should probably desire).
The more i think about it, this could really develop into something quite messy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/05/simpsons-billionaire-gets-most-write-in-votes-in-nyc-mayor-race/

(CNN) – Charles Montgomery Burns, better known as Mr. Burns in the hit animated TV series "The Simpsons", got the most votes of any write-in candidate during last month's mayoral election in New York City. According to records released by the New York City Board of Elections, the cartoon billionaire received 27 write-in votes out of the 299 that were cast.
Eeeeeeeexcellent :void:

X

Xem

What do people think about the new "Fire Safe Cigarettes"?

This is an old article, but we just recently began receiving them where I live in the south eastern US.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/may/27/smoking.deniscampbell

Honestly, as a smoker I can tell you I notice a huge difference, contrary to what that article says. The main idea behind this is to add paper and chemicals that will make the smoker inhale it more often so it doesn't go out (which makes cigarettes "safer"... somehow).

Top Bottom