News & Not News Megathread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
What do people think about the new "Fire Safe Cigarettes"?
I've seen them at truck stops along the highway I travel. They sound ... dangerous to me. It's such new technology, who knows what other side effects there will be ("Oh, OK so instead of inhaling nicotine and other various chemicals, I'll just suck on this electric stick and inhale those fumes! Great!")

And isn't there some dispute over whether the FDA has actually approved them?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
I've seen them at truck stops along the highway I travel. They sound ... dangerous to me. It's such new technology, who knows what other side effects there will be ("Oh, OK so instead of inhaling nicotine and other various chemicals, I'll just suck on this electric stick and inhale those fumes! Great!")

And isn't there some dispute over whether the FDA has actually approved them?

The article he posted is talking about a new brand of cigarettes that put them selves out when not being smoked, you're referring to the electric cigarettes where they turn nicotine into mist and you inhale it. As far as the side effects of the electric cigs, I don't think they are anything really special, but you can hurt your self from nicotine poisoning pretty badly [and kill your self] if you're not careful.

Back on topic of the new chemicals being added to the cigs, I can see the concern, but amongst all the other deadly and horrific chemicals [for smokers: fucking awesome things] being added it makes you wonder why people are really complaining about something that is probably no more harmless then the other ingredients in a cigarette.

Personally I haven't smoked in over two months now. :ubik:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/23/uk.fugitive.facebook.prison/index.html

You guys have to read this. Guy escapes from prison, then posts on facebook about how he's eating delicious steak and planning to fuck women. MALE OF THE YEAR.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Criminal eludes authorities in real world, gets busted in World of Warcraft:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/warcraft-helps-catch-a-crook/1383804

This could only be better if he was busted playing a game with heavy Orwellian themes. :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
It's Wrath-Amon!

vlcsnap-118181.png

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Dragon Ball Actor Daisuke Gouri Passes Away

The newspaper
reports that Gouri was discovered, with blood dripping from his wrist, by a passerby on a street in Nakano ward. Police officers at Nakano station are investigating his death as a possible suicide. According to the authorities, Gouri apparently collapsed face-down onto the street at about 3:00 p.m. The Yomiuri Shimbun paper adds that a knife was found under him along with a last will nearby.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A few items of interest/hilarity I stumbled onto while bored at work:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/25/BAAV1BMF32.DTL&tsp=1
Nancy "Sunny" Bostrom, whom police briefly labeled a "person of interest" last year after her mother's mummified corpse was found seated in the living room of her Piedmont home, is running for City Council in the East Bay town.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/01/25/diff-rent-strokes-star-gary-coleman-arrested-over-domestic-assault-115875-21993947/
Diff'rent Strokes star Gary Coleman has been arrested on a charge of domestic assault.

The 41-year-old actor - famous for his catchphrase "What choo talkin' bout Willis?" was booked at his home in Santaquin, Utah, after a civil disturbance, according to reports in the U.S.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I just found out... I'm a huge fan of his novels, and when I first read that he'd died, I'd wished it were a mistake. I had a similar feeling when John Hughes died last year.

For more than a decade now, I've been wondering if this story would prove true after Salinger's death:

[quote author=http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-23402234.html]

Salinger May Have Unpublished Books
03-22-1999

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- A neighbor of writer J.D. Salinger says the author of ``The Catcher in the Rye'' has a cache of up to 15 unpublished books locked up in his home.

Jerry Burt, of Plainfield, who was friends with Salinger in the 1960s and lives near the author, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Salinger said in 1978 he'd written 15 or 16 other books.

Burt said the books were apparently hidden in a walk-in bank safe installed in Salinger's home. During a visit, Burt saw the safe open, but he said it was dark inside and he didn't see any books. [/quote]
To back this up, in his daughter's memoir (which I haven't read so I can't back this up), she said one day her father brought her into a room with a big locked box. Inside were several manuscripts. He instructed her that when he died, these were to be published at some predetermined schedule, but were never to be published while he was still alive.

I guess we'll wait and see.

Griffith

The Onion already has a fitting tribute:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bunch_of_phonies_mourn_j_d

Griffith

Speaking of books...

School system in Va. won't teach version of Anne Frank book

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/28/AR2010012804001.html?g=0

At least not the new version which restored pages concerning her emerging sexual feelings and some negative views of others in hiding, which while it seems a hasty decision based on one complaint, probably doesn't really matter much, but I posted this for this excerpt:

The ALA has documented only six challenges to "The Diary of Anne Frank" since it began monitoring formal written complaints to remove or restrict books in 1990. Most of the concerns were about sexually explicit material, Maycock said. One record dating to 1983 from an Alabama textbook committee said the book was "a real downer" and called for its rejection from schools.

Right out of The Onion, man.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You guys have got nothing on this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/25/oral-sex-dictionary-ban-us-schools

'Oral sex' definition prompts dictionary ban in US schools

A parent's complaint over a 'sexually graphic' definition has seen dictionaries removed from southern Californian schools

Dictionaries have been removed from classrooms in southern California schools after a parent complained about a child reading the definition for "oral sex".

Merriam Webster's 10th edition, which has been used for the past few years in fourth and fifth grade classrooms (for children aged nine to 10) in Menifee Union school district, has been pulled from shelves over fears that the "sexually graphic" entry is "just not age appropriate", according to the area's local paper.

The dictionary's online definition of the term is "oral stimulation of the genitals". "It's hard to sit and read the dictionary, but we'll be looking to find other things of a graphic nature," district spokeswoman Betti Cadmus told the paper.

While some parents have praised the move – "[it's] a prestigious dictionary that's used in the Riverside County spelling bee, but I also imagine there are words in there of concern," said Randy Freeman – others have raised concerns. "It is not such a bad thing for a kid to have the wherewithal to go and look up a word he may have even heard on the playground," father Jason Rogers told local press. "You have to draw the line somewhere. What are they going to do next, pull encyclopaedias because they list parts of the human anatomy like the penis and vagina?"

A panel is now reviewing whether the Menifee ban will be made permanent. The Merriam Webster dictionary joins an illustrious set of books that have been banned or challenged in the US, including Nobel prize winner Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon, which last year was suspended from and then reinstated to the curriculum at a Michigan school after complaints from parents about its coverage of graphic sex and violence, and titles by Khaled Hosseini and Philip Pullman, included in the American Library Association's list of books that inspired most complaints last year.

Griffith

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain_secret_castle

This guy is awesome, I hope he beats those evil planners! We Californians know just how sinister those types are.

X

Xem

Aazealh said:

Hahaha, I have to tell you, my girlfriends cousins' kids are around that age and I find this type of censorship hilarious. Gotta give most of the credit to my slightly wicked sense of humor, but I like to imagine what it's going to be like when these kids start to rebel. I mean, seriously, you don't want 10 year-olds to know what oral sex is? That's fine with me, just wait a few more years and they'll learn the natural way. What're the parents going to do then? Start shooting anyone who wears short pants or a tank top around their family?

This has to be particularly strange to you Aaz, living in France and all. Aren't you jealous of those of us living in "moral America"?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
グリフィス said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_britain_secret_castle

This guy is awesome, I hope he beats those evil planners! We Californians know just how sinister those types are.
Aww, who didn't want to live in a secret castle at some point? Poor guy. :judo:

Griffith

Deci said:
Hahaha, I have to tell you, my girlfriend...

Hmmm, sounds familiar, I wonder...

Search for: "girfriend" By user: "Deci" said:
Skullknight.net > Search > Search Results
Pages: [1]
Subject Relevance Started by Date Posted

What Are You Playing?
in Video Games

Re: What Are You Playing? by Deci
... is cumming all over ME2, me and my GIRLFRIEND are enjoying each other. This game ... 45.2% Walter
July 21, 2009, 08:35:23 PM

Official SKnet Wii thread
in Video Games

Re: Official SKnet Wii thread by Deci
... TV, console, and game. Me and my GIRLFRIEND live together and pretty much do ... 43.6% TriFrog
February 13, 2007, 06:05:44 PM

News & Not News Megathread
in News & Not News

Re: News & Not News Megathread by Deci

Hahaha, I have to tell you, my GIRLFRIENDs cousins' kids are around that age and ... 42% グリフィス
March 31, 2009, 10:32:22 AM

Episode 306
in Current Episodes

Re: Episode 306 by Deci
... or at least I'm trying to.

Luckily, my GIRLFRIEND actually managed to hold herself back ... 40% Aazealh
June 23, 2009, 03:16:29 AM

Episode 305
in Current Episodes

Re: Episode 305 by Deci
... biting one of the unicorns shattered my GIRLFRIENDs universe. (Huge 'The Last Unicorn' ... 39.6% Aazealh
June 09, 2009, 01:42:49 AM

What are you drinking? (general liquid thread)
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: What are you drinking? (general liquid thread) by Deci
... said, getting drunk is fun, having a GIRLFRIEND more drunk than you is not!

I'm ... 37% Deci
October 25, 2008, 02:14:10 PM

TV Series: Lost
in Movies, TV, Books & Music

Re: TV Series: Lost by Deci
... one of the flashes to the past my GIRLFRIEND literally turned to me with a big smile ... 36.6% Walter
January 03, 2008, 11:06:21 PM

Official Sk.net Weightloss/gain Thread!
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Official Sk.net Weightloss/gain Thread! by Deci
... expect from my professors.

Me and my GIRLFRIEND are going on a cruise next fall/winter, ... 36.1% Vampire_Hunter_Bob
January 02, 2009, 02:57:56 PM

Movies to look forward to

Re: Movies to look forward to by Deci
... definitely going to see that. Me and my GIRLFRIEND have pretty much decided that Seth ... 32.8% The Perineum Falcon
October 02, 2007, 07:52:51 PM

Episode 297
in Current Episodes

Re: Episode 297 by Deci
... from me when I was explaining to my GIRLFRIEND the patience involved in waiting for ... 32.5% Aazealh
June 12, 2008, 07:38:13 AM

The Girls of Skullknight.net 2009 Calendar
in Creation Station

Re: The Women of Skullknight.net 2009 Calendar by Deci
... GIRLFRIEND doesn't like the idea, but she'd like ... 31.7% グリフィス
November 14, 2008, 09:18:32 PM

Anyone playing WoW?
in Video Games

Re: Anyone playing WoW? by Deci
... except for the fact that me and my GIRLFRIEND waited 3 hours in line to get a second ... 31.2% Chiba
June 06, 2006, 01:04:35 AM

Official SK.NET Cooking Thread
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Official SK.NET Cooking Thread by Deci
... it's that time again! Me and my GIRLFRIEND are going to my parent's house earlier ...
... , but I have confidence - me and my GIRLFRIEND are both great cooks.

Between the two ... 29.9% SaiyajinNoOuji
November 22, 2008, 02:52:43 AM

What are you watching? (television thread)

Re: What are you watching? (television thread) by Deci
... and my GIRLFRIEND watch at least a dozen shows when they ... 29.9% Oburi
October 04, 2009, 09:04:09 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Happy Thanksgiving! by Deci
... else has a good one though.

Yeah, my GIRLFRIEND sadly has to work all day today as well. ... 29.6% handsome rakshas
November 23, 2006, 12:27:55 PM

Diablo 3!
in Video Games

Re: Diablo 3! by Deci
... I'm looking forward to it, that and my GIRLFRIEND loved all the Diablo games. So she can ... 29% xfool
June 28, 2008, 04:49:15 AM

Share your awkward/embarissing stories!
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Share your awkward/embarissing stories! by Deci
... Superman dive into his bed - while his GIRLFRIEND at the time was with him.

- ... 27.7% Vampire_Hunter_Bob
June 18, 2009, 05:49:24 PM

Venture Brothers

Re: Venture Brothers by Deci
... and there.

Just this week me and my GIRLFRIEND started Netflixing the seasons starting ... 27.4% SlimJ87D
October 19, 2009, 09:37:41 PM

20th Anniversary of Berserk
in Berserk Miscellaneous

Re: 20th Anniversary of Berserk by Deci
... it hurts me a little.

Thank god my GIRLFRIEND is a big Berserk fan too, I'm in total ... 25.6% Walter
September 09, 2009, 07:48:18 PM

Anime Conventions 2009
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Fanime Con by Deci
... and have them do a drawing of me and my GIRLFRIEND manga style. The really good artists ... 24.3% Dar Klink
May 13, 2009, 02:43:07 PM

Official Sk.net Goal Thread!
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Official Sk.net Goal Thread! by Deci
... :40:22 PM
Deci, what's wrong with your GIRLFRIEND? Too much anxiety?

Yep, pretty much, ... 23.6% Vampire_Hunter_Bob
April 17, 2009, 01:49:40 PM

THE DRUNK THREAD
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: THE DRUNK THREAD by Deci
... interesting, but I eventually found my GIRLFRIENDs work shoes under a tree in the front ... 22.9% smoke April 03, 2009, 09:58:58 PM

Predictions of what will happen in the near future
in Speculation Nation

Re: Predictions of what will happen in the near future by Deci
... lost on Elfhelm

I used to joke to my GIRLFRIEND that the Island of the TV show Lost is ... 20.2% Gangstap
October 13, 2008, 01:49:17 PM

Berserk TCG Zodd Miura Autograph Card for Sale
in Berserk Merchandise

Re: Berserk TCG Zodd Miura Autograph Card for Sale by Deci

Turns out the buyer was my GIRLFRIEND. =) She gave it to me for my birthday ... 19.9% Tirade
January 09, 2008, 11:33:53 AM

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays
in Shootin' the Breeze

Re: Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays by Deci
... bracelets and necklace for it with my GIRLFRIEND, I swear it'd come and go without me ... 19.2% Ramen4ever
December 22, 2008, 08:03:39 PM

The coin-operated video game I spent the most money on
in Video Games

Re: The coin-operated video game I spent the most money on by Deci
... until a couple years ago when me and my GIRLFRIEND decided we wanted to beat all of the ... 18.4% m
December 02, 2008, 12:22:33 PM

Berserk the Manga Re-read Thread Vol. 1 (Spoilers) 9/25/08 - 10/2/08
in Manga Mausoleum

Re: Berserk the Manga Re-read Thread Vol. 1 (Spoilers) 9/25/08 - 10/2/08 by Deci
... to have more to add once my GIRLFRIEND re-reads the volume, but ironically ... 17.8% willowhugger
September 25, 2008, 01:36:08 PM
Pages: [1]
Jump to: