News & Not News Megathread

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Griffith said:
On the other hand I couldn't be more delighted to no longer be a "cancer," at least astrologically. :griffnotevil:

Plus, my sign got upgraded to one that inspired the name of a Robot Master, just call me Gemini Man. :badbone:

I'm so upset at you right now. I've been Gemini my whole life. And now I'm some kind of a Taurus? Just like that??? :judo: :judo:

I'm still Gemini in my heart.

turkitage

ターク
Scorpio said:
Yes, well. A friend of mine had the sign for Gemini tattoo'd on his chest, except now he no longer is one.

Yeah, this is great. Everyone that got a tattoo, necklaces, and rings of their signs/colors must feel pretty awesome. Though, I'm sure every single one of them would say stuff that doesn't matter like they'll always be a X or an X at heart (some examples above). I guess it's only natural.. if you've been told something your whole life... only to have that change all of a sudden definitely is :puck:.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I don't really care, not like I follow horoscopes to tell me what to do.

agreed

Aphasia

Turkitage said:
Yeah, this is great. Everyone that got a tattoo, necklaces, and rings of their signs/colors must feel pretty awesome. Though, I'm sure every single one of them would say stuff that doesn't matter like they'll always be a X or an X at heart (some examples above). I guess it's only natural.. if you've been told something your whole life... only to have that change all of a sudden definitely is :puck:.
agreed

I don't actually care, I never check horoscopes anyways. :guts:

Rhombaad said:
This part cracked me up. :ganishka:

That's hilarious, I didn't read that part.
Scorpio said:
Yes, well. A friend of mine had the sign for Gemini tattoo'd on his chest, except now he no longer is one.
That's intense haha. It always looked a bit like the green lantern symbol to me.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/20/new.york.missing.reunion/index.html?iref=NS1

Here's some happy news for everyone.
In 1987, an anguished, trembling Joy White pleaded for someone to help her find her infant daughter.
"I hope she's all right," the heartbroken mother told reporters at the time before collapsing in tears.
Now, 23 years later, White is crying tears of joy as the decades-long mystery of her missing daughter reached a happy ending.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/bs-md-ho-marriott-drug-indictment-20110203,0,4918623.story

When I imagine bad luck, I think of this guy.
When a car exploded and caught on fire after crashing into Richard Marriott's Ellicott City home in December, emergency personnel checking on structural damage to the residence discovered 19 large marijuana plants growing inside.

Marriott, 44, was indicted by a Howard County grand jury Thursday after being charged by police with possession of marijuana, possession with intent to distribute, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of drug production equipment.

The accident, in the 5100 block of Montgomery Road, occurred about 10:30 p.m. Dec. 10 when Bryan Bolster lost control of the BMW he was driving and crashed into Marriott's home. The 20-year old Bolster, who lived on Landing Road in Ellicott City, died at the scene.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/04/dashiell-hammett-unpublished-works-found

A cache of unpublished works by famed writer Dashiell Hammett, often seen as the father of hardboiled detective fiction, has been found and is set to be unveiled in America.

Hammett, whose best-known work The Maltese Falcon was made into a film starring Humphrey Bogart, died in 1961. Now 15 unpublished short stories are to hit the bookshelves after being unearthed by a magazine editor, Andrew Gulli, among the literary archives of the Harry Ransom Centre at the University of Texas in Austin.

Looking forward to these.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Real-life OCP corporation launches fundraiser to erect Robocop statue in Detroit, Mich.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imaginationstation/detroit-needs-a-statue-of-robocop

"I'd fund that for a dollar!" Everyone who contributes to the RoboCop statue at any level will have their name listed in a credits section on detroitneedsrobocop.com and receive a personalized digital badge. So when your friends say, "Hey! Did you hear about that new statue of RoboCop in Detroit?" You can say, "I helped build that, *and I'll show you the proof*."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
Real-life OCP corporation launches fundraiser to erect Robocop statue in Detroit, Mich.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imaginationstation/detroit-needs-a-statue-of-robocop

That's awesome! :guts:

On the more depressing side of the news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_on_hi_te/us_teacher_suspended_blog

This lady's fucked exactly because she's right on the money about the state of, not just teaching, but, kids in America.

"My students are out of control," Munroe, who has taught 10th, 11th and 12th grades, wrote in one post. "They are rude, disengaged, lazy whiners. They curse, discuss drugs, talk back, argue for grades, complain about everything, fancy themselves entitled to whatever they desire, and are just generally annoying."

Ding ding ding ding! And sounds like they're already college ready. :ganishka:

"They get angry when you ask them to think or be creative," Munroe said of her students in an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday. "The students are not being held accountable."

Munroe pointed out that she also said positive things, but she acknowledges that she did write some things out of frustration — and of a feeling that many kids today are being given a free pass at school and at home.

"Parents are more trying to be their kids' friends and less trying to be their parent," Munroe said, also noting students' lack of patience. "They want everything right now. They want it yesterday."

I'd say it goes further than that, even friends have limits to how far they'll blindly support you. I'd say more like slaves or zealots with extreme prejudice, no clue, and entitlement of their own. Here's why we're already fucked though:

One of Munroe's former students, who now attends McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., said he was torn by his former teacher's comments. Jeff Shoolbraid said that he thought much of what Munroe said was true and that she had a right to voice her opinion, but felt her comments were out of line for a teacher.

"Whatever influenced her to say what she did is evidence as to why she simply should not teach," Shoolbraid wrote in an e-mail to the AP. "I just thought it was completely inappropriate."

He continued: "As far as motivated high school students, she's completely correct. High school kids don't want to do anything. ... It's a teacher's job, however, to give students the motivation to learn."

No, it's not, it's the parents' and the kids' job! Unfortunately the above loser mentality is the only thing they're learning.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I hope locals in the area organize to protest that teacher's suspension. They could overturn the suspension easily with enough pressure to the school board.

Aphasia

Wow that's pretty nuts. 16,000 comments on that story.

This part made me laugh.

"She also listed some comments she wished she could post on student evaluations, including: "I hear the trash company is hiring"; "I called out sick a couple of days just to avoid your son"; and "Just as bad as his sibling. Don't you know how to raise kids?""

But it also makes me sad. It just sounds like bad parenting across the board. All the things she mentioned should be instilled by parents. I think it's silly people are offended over what is essentially a good critique, if a little harsh. I can't imagine how offended these kids will be when their professors call them out.

And here I thought it was the teachers job to uh...Teach? Maybe not anymore. Well, it's refreshing to see the teacher getting a lot of support.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Pretty much the problem with anyone younger than me. I don't know honestly what is wrong with people born between 1991 and 2000, but people can't behave in class. I'm probably the oldest guy in my classes and it's insulting that these shits come in spending someone else's money (IE: Mommy and Daddy; Gov'ment) and don't even try.

Aphasia: You'd be surprised if the professors would say something or tell them off, but a lot of the time they'll just choose to ignore it. For example, I had a sociology class and there were these two people that would talk with each other, laugh randomly, and make fun of everyone in the room. On several occasions it took one of the older students (25+) to tell them off to get them to shut up. I was in my math today, and the back row of kids coming in just sat back there chatting it up and giggling the entire time. It is almost enough to make me yell at them. Anyways, they do get it in the end, when they fail the class and blame the teacher for this. :ganishka:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Tiny water bears become first creatures to survive in space

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1054351/Tiny-water-bears-creatures-survive-space.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Tiny water bears become first creatures to survive in space

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1054351/Tiny-water-bears-creatures-survive-space.html

Thing's as badass as it looks.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Anonymous Declares war on the Westboro Baptist church. :schierke:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20033942-501465.html

We, the collective super-consciousness known as ANONYMOUS - the Voice of Free Speech & the Advocate of the People - have long heard you issue your venomous statements of hatred, and we have witnessed your flagrant and absurd displays of inimitable bigotry and intolerant fanaticism. We have always regarded you and your ilk as an assembly of graceless sociopaths and maniacal chauvinists & religious zealots, however benign, who act out for the sake of attention & in the name of religion.
Being such aggressive proponents for the Freedom of Speech & Freedom of Information as we are, we have hitherto allowed you to continue preaching your benighted gospel of hatred and your theatrical exhibitions of, not only your fascist views, but your utter lack of Christ-like attributes. You have condemned the men and women who serve, fight, and perish in the armed forces of your nation; you have prayed for and celebrated the deaths of young children, who are without fault; you have stood outside the United States National Holocaust Museum, condemning the men, women, and children who, despite their innocence, were annihilated by a tyrannical embodiment of fascism and unsubstantiated repugnance. Rather than allowing the deceased some degree of peace and respect, you instead choose to torment, harass, and assault those who grieve.
Your demonstrations and your unrelenting cascade of disparaging slurs, unfounded judgments, and prejudicial innuendos, which apparently apply to every individual numbered amongst the race of Man - except for yourselves - has frequently crossed the line which separates Freedom of Speech from deliberately utilizing the same tactics and methods of intimidation and mental & emotional abuse that have been previously exploited and employed by tyrants and dictators, fascists and terrorist organizations throughout history.

ANONYMOUS cannot abide this behavior any longer. The time for us to be idle spectators in your inhumane treatment of fellow Man has reached its apex, and we shall now be moved to action. Thus, we give you a warning: Cease & desist your protest campaign in the year 2011, return to your homes in Kansas, & close your public Web sites.
Should you ignore this warning, you will meet with the vicious retaliatory arm of ANONYMOUS: We will target your public Websites, and the propaganda & detestable doctrine that you promote will be eradicated; the damage incurred will be irreversible, and neither your institution nor your congregation will ever be able to fully recover. It is in your best interest to comply now, while the option to do so is still being offered, because we will not relent until you cease the conduction & promotion of all your bigoted operations & doctrines.

The warning has been given. What happens from here shall be determined by you.

So what exactly are they going to do to them? Shut down their websites? Threaten to kill their families? Protest them? All of this shit happens already, I don't see them really caring.

Top Bottom