News & Not News Megathread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Real Madrid goes and gets its big ol' trophy run over by a Goddamn bus!

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6401243/copa-del-rey-trophy-run-bus-real-madrid-postgame-celebration

soc_a_copadelray_sy_300.jpg

The Copa del Rey trophy fell out of Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos' hands -- and under the team bus.

MADRID -- Real Madrid waited 18 years to win back the Copa del Rey trophy -- only to drop the cup and watch it get crushed under the wheels of a bus.

Only hours after beating archrival Barcelona in the domestic cup final in Valencia, Madrid defender Sergio Ramos let the 33-pound cup fall from the top of the team bus during celebrations early Thursday morning in the capital.

The front right wheel of the bus rolled over the trophy before the driver stopped.

The broken pieces were gathered and returned to the bus, but the trophy did not reappear at the club's traditional celebration spot at the Plaza de Cibeles in central Madrid.

"The cup fell, it fell," Ramos said, according to Europa Press agency. "But the cup is OK."

The club said Thursday that the trophy will be repaired.

"It is not in good shape, evidently, it was run over by a bus," Madrid spokeswoman Marta Santisteban told The Associated Press.

:ganishka:

Griffith

Hey, at least they didn't throw him under the bus! :troll:

Th3Branded0ne said:
Is like the Lakers winning it against the Celtics and the same thing happening to Bynum :ganishka:

I always think about that when they're waving the trophy around during those parades, "What if Kobe just drops that thing like a bad pass?" :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
I always think about that when they're waving the trophy around during those parades, "What if Kobe just drops that thing like a bad pass?" :guts:

Maybe it's like the Oscars and you get a fake one while you're up there and a real one later? :void:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/05/01/2011-05-01_group_of_deaf_mute_friends_stabbed_at_bar_after_thug_mistakes_their_sign_languag.html
The 45-year-old Lee thought the group was throwing gang signs at her, and responded by flashing gang signs back at them, cops said.

The group motioned for her to leave them alone.
Eventually, Lee left the bar but returned with two members of her crew, 19-year-old Marco Ibanez and a 17-year-old who was not identified, cops said.

Ibanez allegedly pulled a knife and began stabbing Stewart and his friends.

Stewart and three of his friends were taken to a hospital and treated for stab wounds.

A bouncer at the bar who had a bottle smashed over his head in the melee was also taken to the hospital. None of the injuries were life-threatening, officials said.

Lee, Ibanez and the 17-year-old were arrested and charged with aggravated battery.

Stewart's mother, Brenda, said there was no way her son was making gang signs.

"Only sign language," she told WSVN television. "That's the only way all of them, they do sign language."
p0XQV.jpg
:badbone: THUG LIFE :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=88255&tsp=1

Stanley is a 29-year-old man who wakes up in the morning and puts on typical clothing before going to work. But when he returns home he slips into a diaper and fuzzy pajamas with feet. He also sucks on a pacifier, drinks from a bottle, and sleeps in a giant customized crib.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=88255#ixzz1LLcA66oP

Griffith

Walter said:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=88255&tsp=1

Haha, seriously, what a freak show...

"Where a grown man plays with legos."

:farnese:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/05/05/computer.kiss.device/index.html?iphoneemail

A Japanese lab has created a device that may let let you "French kiss" someone over the Internet.

And by "kiss," we mean waggle your tongue on a plastic straw, thereby making another plastic straw waggle remotely on someone else's tongue.
The folks at Tokyo's Kajimoto Laboratory say it's just the beginning of what could become a full-on person-to-person experience over the Internet.
:magni::casca:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Now that "Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver are separated", it's a good opportunity to post this:

http://sadarnold.com/

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
http://m24digital.com/en/2011/05/11/the-court-ruled-in-her-favor-and-now-she-can-masturbate-at-work/

A woman aged 36 was enabled by the justice to masturbate in her workplace because she has a strange disease.
This is the story of Ana Catarina Bezerra Silvares, an employee of an accounting firm, a divorced mother of three who lives in the village Vila Velha, Espírito Santo.
The woman suffers from a rare condition known as “compulsion orgasmic”, caused by a chemical alteration in the brain region of the cortex, which leads her to masturbate several times a day to relieve the deep anguish that it causes.

You GO girl *snap snap*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20063168-503543.html

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail," he told the Guardian's Ian Sample. "There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."
Hawking said that our existence is down to pure chance, and that one's goal should be to "seek the greatest value of our action."
It's more or less how I feel about the afterlife, but I don't exactly feel reassured that the greatest mind of our age backs me up.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
That story worked really hard to be not news.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail,"
Plasticity: The ability of the brain to adapt itself after trauma or surgical alteration.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
That story worked really hard to be not news. Plasticity: The ability of the brain to adapt itself after trauma or surgical alteration.
Huh?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Plasticity: The ability of the brain to adapt itself after trauma or surgical alteration.

I think you're parsing the intent of the sentence wrong. He's not making the machine analogy to say the brain has no ability to recover from some amount of damage, he's trying to get at the idea that once your mobo is burnt out, for whatever reason, it's just done. There is no silicon heaven.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
I think you're parsing the intent of the sentence wrong. He's not making the machine analogy to say the brain has no ability to recover from some amount of damage, he's trying to get at the idea that once your mobo is burnt out, for whatever reason, it's just done. There is no silicon heaven.

LIAR! :mozgus: All my babies (dead HDDs) are in heaven! :judo:

Griffith

Never liked computer/brain analogies, too beholden to computers. Speaking of computer brains though, there's a new Terminator... :badbone:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0517-arnold-20110517,0,1994592.story

Well, kind of, it's only ten years old. For a sad home-wrecking affair it's also kind of an old-fashioned story, the kid went from being the help to the heir overnight (sort of). Where have we heard something like that before? :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Never liked computer/brain analogies, too beholden to computers. Speaking of computer brains though, there's a new Terminator... :badbone:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0517-arnold-20110517,0,1994592.story

Well, kind of, it's only ten years old. For a sad home-wrecking affair it's also kind of an old-fashioned story, the kid went from being the help to the heir overnight (sort of). Where have we heard something like that before? :serpico:
Great, now that the kid has been publicly acknowledged, expect a robot from the future to come back at any moment to eradicate humanity's last hope.

Griffith

http://gawker.com/5802704/is-this-arnold-schwarzeneggers-love-child

Looks like we've got more juicy details: IT IS A SON! And thank the gods, he plays football. Also, mom was Arnold's attractive personal stewardess who flew all over the world with him. How were we to know? BTW, her name is Tammy Baker Tousignant... good rule of thumb, stay away from women with "Tammy" and "Baker" in their name, especially together.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
http://gawker.com/5802704/is-this-arnold-schwarzeneggers-love-child

Looks like we've got more juicy details: IT IS A SON! And thank the gods, he plays football. Also, mom was Arnold's attractive personal stewardess who flew all over the world with him. How were we to know? BTW, her name is Tammy Baker Tousignant... good rule of thumb, stay away from women with "Tammy" and "Baker" in their name, especially together.
Jesus, they even link to the kid's Facebook profile. Imagine trying to hide that your whole life. "I'm the T-800's kid... and I can't tell anyone!"

Griffith

"Are you Tanner, Conner?" :badbone:

What's interesting is that up until yesterday mama was denying it before Arnold admitted to paternity and then she went silent, so it begs the question what pressured him to admit this now? Even if Maria had found out or he told her, I doubt she would have outed them publicly. It's like a role reversal where Arnold is putting this woman and her kid in a bad spot coming out with this rather than the usual other way around, "Shut up rich celebrity father, leave my family alone and quit admitting you're my dad!"

I recently heard a funny though unflattering story about Arnold concerning his separation, that when he went on vacation with his family he would sometimes spend all day by the pool signing autographs and glad-handing. Guy certainly doesn't shy away from attention, and it made this otherwise innocuous and even altruistic line in his statement stand out in a different light...
"While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not."

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Griffith said:
I recently heard a funny though unflattering story about Arnold concerning his separation, that when he went on vacation with his family he would really spend all day by the pool signing autographs and glad-handing. Guy certainly doesn't shy away from attention, and it made this otherwise innocuous or altruistic line in his statement stand out in a different light...

I wonder if he is really just concerned about his family and the media. If I were related to someone that famous I don't think I'd want any attention garnered through that person. Especially if it was my family, I would want their privacy respected. Or maybe he just likes attention, that's possible too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I just have a hunch he was forced into this situation of airing his dirty laundry, maybe by an extortion attempt. The other scenarios don't add up, to me.

Griffith

That's what I'm wondering, what forced his hand? For the record, I wasn't insinuating he did this for attention, it obviously hurts him, I was just wondering if even in announcing this he wasn't considerate of the consequences to the others involved (one thing we know, they're not on the same page).

Seemingly, this woman didn't want to break this news either, but was that because she was on the take (or, is there another woman)? Arnold was reportedly financially "supportive", but unless the price was becoming prohibitive there's no sense in biting the bullet if he's not going to cut them off completely, which would be another PR disaster.

So then, did a third party get a hold of the information, one he couldn't negotiate with? The timing here is strange as well, particularly the lapse between when he apparently told Maria and she moved out, to the separation, to the announcement of this... he was still that much in control of this thing, and after squashing it all this time while he was in office no less. Very weird. Perhaps he simply figured it was inevitable that this story would be re-examined with the announcement of their separation, that the Enquirer or someone was closing in, but it's amazing that he already got away with it for this long after the original story technically broke years ago.

And WHAT a story! This could be as big as any of Arnold's blockbusters, you've got an American sweetheart and the biggest action star ever, an A-list celebrity couple that's also tops of the political spectrum, breaking up over a secret lovechild... it's like a Brangelina scandal that also appeals to the male demographic.

Top Bottom