News & Not News Megathread

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
That might actually be why he felt so strongly about it, though at the end of the video even he didn't seem that hardline about the policy (at the end of the day, he's going to sell the sandwiches).

I'm at work, so I wasn't able to watch the video; I was basing my statements on the article. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just think it's ironic that he made that policy when his anscestors experienced the same kind of crap. A bit hypocritical if you ask me. Certainly nothing to lynch the guy over, though.

Griffith said:
Really? Who was he on the cycle, the new Hitler? The Cheesesteak Nazi? :ganishka:

Of course not. :iva:

Griffith said:
I think the cycle of hatred's standards are going way down as we make progress (and subsequently become whinier, especially in this country where we just go insane over this shit). I can't believe this is a story, let alone that people think this guy was a hero or villain.

I definitely think both sides are being too harsh about it (he's not a hero or a villain). But you can't deny that it's a pretty prejudicial way to conduct business, especially in a country that should be proud it's a melting pot.

Griffith said:
So, I guess his cheesesteak sandwiches were pretty good?

The story did make me hungry for one, that's for sure. Not many good (any) Philly cheesesteaks in the Seattle area. :sad:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
I'm at work, so I wasn't able to watch the video; I was basing my statements on the article. I don't hate the guy or anything, I just think it's ironic that he made that policy when his anscestors experienced the same kind of crap. A bit hypocritical if you ask me. Certainly nothing to lynch the guy over, though.

Well, to be fair we don't know what his ancestors experienced or how it shaped his views.

Rhombaad said:
I definitely think both sides are being too harsh about it (he's not a hero or a villain). But you can't deny that it's a pretty prejudicial way to conduct business, especially in a country that should be proud it's a melting pot.

The grandstanding part of it is silly, and his attitude on illegal immigration is certainly glib and stupid, but if you see the offending sign from the video, it's hard to take as seriously as the article is portraying. The point of the policy is actually practical though since I'm assuming this was borne out of real experiences where he didn't understand what customers wanted because they spoke different languages. I mean, to me this isn't so much an issue of prejudice, though it's there, but manners, entitlement and passive aggressiveness on both sides. Though, if you live in a country and can't even order food in the native language, you're the asshole and I have no sympathy. It's like anything else, everyone appreciates it when you can speak the language of their country, even just visiting, but if you live there and still can't, of course they're going to think less of you for essentially being willfully ignorant. Only in America is this even debatable, and sadly not even because we're a multicultural melting pot, but because we're rude entitled assholes with martyr complexes, and everyone sure learns that language when they get here. =)

Rhombaad said:
The story did make me hungry for one, that's for sure. Not many good (any) Philly cheesesteaks in the Seattle area. :sad:

What about Dominoes? :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Well, to be fair we don't know what his ancestors experienced or how it shaped his views.

True. I'm did a lot of assuming. And you know what that means... :SK:

Griffith said:
The grandstanding part of it is silly, and his attitude on illegal immigration is certainly glib and stupid, but if you see the offending sign from the video, it's hard to take as seriously as the article is portraying. The point of the policy is actually practical though since I'm assuming this was borne out of real experiences where he didn't understand what customers wanted because they spoke different languages. I mean, to me this isn't so much an issue of prejudice, though it's there, but manners, entitlement and passive aggressiveness on both sides. If you live in a country and can't even order food in the native language, you're the asshole and I have no sympathy. It's like anything else, everyone appreciates it when you can speak the language of their country, even just visiting, but if you live there and still can't, of course they're going to think less of you for essentially being willfully ignorant. Only in America is this even debatable, and sadly not even because we're a multicultural melting pot, but because we're rude entitled assholes with martyr complexes, and everyone sure learns that language when they get here. :ganishka:

Good points. Hope I wasn't coming across as a rude, entitled asshole with a martyr complex, though. :sad:

Griffith said:

Dude, they don't even make good pizza. :ganishka:

Griffith said:
So, I guess his cheesesteak sandwiches were pretty good?
I'm gonna rent a car and drive there this Sunday. I hear Jimmi's (around the same zip code) is the best but this one and the one across from it are top contenders. I just posted the news because I'm a foodie and I'd heard good things about his sammiches.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I (and all of San Diego) just got my electricity back after a painstaking 12 hours! but all is well now and the world may keep rotating. :griffnotevil:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Truder said:
I (and all of San Diego) just got my electricity back after a painstaking 12 hours! but all is well now and the world may keep rotating. :griffnotevil:

After the Hurricane my friend was out of power for a week.

Speaking of asshole weather. It hasn't stopped raining since Monday! One of my local hangout spots, actually flooded really bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdaaYIom30I (This is at Ellicott City, MD, this is the top of the hill rain going down towards the river)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCgqvvv_cU (The downtown part of Ellicott City featuring some locals walking around in the water)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyrJiQbISI&NR=1 (From the heavy rainfall one of the stone walls collapsed and crushed six cars no injuries)

And here is a slideshow of the flooding throughout Maryland:
http://www.wbaltv.com/slideshow/weather/29107291/detail.html

Some of the parts of where I live got to be bad to the point sections of the roads needing to be cut off.

Griffith

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Higher-Netflix-prices-equals-apf-1466852939.html?x=0&.v=8

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Netflix's decision to raise prices by as much as 60 percent is turning into a horror show.

The customer backlash against the higher rates, kicking in this month, has been much harsher than Netflix Inc. anticipated. That prompted management to predict Thursday that the company --the largest U.S. video subscription service-- will end September with 600,000 fewer U.S. customers than it had in June.

Whoops! Make it 600,001 since I'm canceling my subscription this month as well. :griffnotevil:

Of course, to put it in perspective Netflix has over 20 million subscribers so they're still going to be making money hand over fist on this, but they're certainly aren't offering the deal they once were. As a matter of fact, with Starz leaving they're basically charging a lot more for a service that just got notably worse.

Griffith

http://blog.netflix.com/2011/10/dvds-will-be-staying-at-netflixcom.html

Netflix is having a bad month, but at least they're getting it right in the end.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/475217-Tech_Specs_for_Ultra_HDTV_Advance.php said:
ITU Study Group reaches agreement on key technical issues for a new standard

A new standard for ultra high-definition television (UHDTV) took an important step towards becoming reality as experts at the ITU Study Group on Broadcasting Service announced that they had reached agreement on most of the pertinent technical characteristics for a new UHDTV standard.

While consumer products using the technology are will take years to be widely available, broadcasters and others have been working for some time on the technology, which represents a major leap forward in image resolution and picture quality. Recently, Japanese public service broadcaster NHK, which played a pioneering role in the development of HDTV, demonstrated a screen with 33 million pixels, far more than 2 million pixels on HDTV screens today.

[...]

One important application for the additional pixels available in UHDTV screens might be glasses free 3D. One important difficulty in the development of glasses-free 3D has been the large number of pixels needed on a screen to accommodate different viewing angles.

And because a picture (shamelessly stolen from engadget.com) is worth a thousand words:

eltie-1318949754.jpg

Griffith

It's a shame Steve Jobs isn't around to invent this, but in any case enjoy your obsolete media collections, losers. :iva:

Oh, who am I kidding? You'll just reaffirm yourselves buying it all again. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wh-wh.... why do I need that? I still don't even have an HDTV yet. Should I now hold out for the successor to UHD? :troll:

X

Xem

I'm so stubborn I've yet to buy a blu-ray or a blu-ray player ever since I heard new technology was already available before blu-ray was released to the public, but I've had an HDTV forever. What's your hangup Walter? :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I've had an HDTV forever. What's your hangup Walter? :serpico:
I don't really see the need to own one. I dont want to repurchase my library, I don't have an HD-enabled console and I don't care to pay extra on my cable bill just so I can see inside the pores of my favorite TV stars. *Shrug* I actually recently got an amazing tube TV for $10 on Craigslist. Workin pretty good for me. I figure I'll snag an HDTV when I can get it for $10 off some poor schmuck trying to buy up to an U-HDTV :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I kinda feel the same way about this new UHDTV. I'm satisfied with my current setup and I don't feel like purchasing my library again (most of the Blu-rays I own I never purchased on DVD). Plus, I don't need 3D sans glasses built in.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Griffith said:
That was my entry for ''mean post of the year.'' That it even qualifies shows I'm not what I used to be.
I'm sure you're just saving it up for next year, it's just around the corner!

In any case, I'm happy for this because it means nice HDTV prices will go down and I can grab me a good one, which I'm fine with since I think the main draw for a while for UHDTVs will be the 3D affects. How long until we reach the limit of telecine transfers? Maybe some new technology will come about that can upscale stuff without it looking like crap though.

Griffith

Thanks, it's synonymous where I come from though.

Anyway, Muammar Gaddafi is dead, and there's footage of him clearly on his last legs, probably before the mob finished him off. Somehow I don't think these kinds of videos are going to deter future despots. Do you think if they had youtube in 1945 Hitler would have posted a suicide video from his bunker?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Thanks, it's synonymous where I come from though.

Fair enough. :serpico:

Griffith said:
Anyway, Muammar Gaddafi is dead, and there's footage of him clearly on his last legs, probably before the mob finished him off. Somehow I don't think these kinds of videos are going to deter future despots. Do you think if they had youtube in 1945 Hitler would have posted a suicide video from his bunker?

I don't think it will deter other despots, either. They never think it's going to happen to them; I think it takes that level of megalomaniacal thinking to get to where they are. As far as Gaddafi goes, good riddance. Next up: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Bashar al-Assad.

I just hope the Libyan people get a break this time around and can elect someone (or a group of people) to manage their country fairly and justly.

Top Bottom