News & Not News Megathread

I'm watching it right now. Unfortunately, a lot of protesters had no interest in the result. The day it happened I said it wouldn't hold water with so many initial conflicting stories. The people protesting just want to destroy regardless of right or wrong, truth or opinion. Its truly disgusting and an embarrassment to the human race. Sad indeed. Only God knows what really happened, but its horrid to think people (even from surrounding towns) would destroy their homes.

...The issue, I have with the people protesting ; is first of all that they don't know what they're talking about and secondly they're only their to cause
shenanigans. That being said however the chaos that's unfolded is due to the race baiting by media , politicians , and special interest groups whose sole purpose is to spark civil unrest and anarchy. Bottom line none of what happened would have happened had the deceased not attacked a police officer.

VengeanceQuest982 said:
...The issue, I have with the people protesting ; is first of all that they don't know what they're talking about and secondly they're only their to cause
shenanigans. That being said however the chaos that's unfolded is due to the race baiting by media , politicians , and special interest groups whose sole purpose is to spark civil unrest and anarchy. Bottom line none of what happened would have happened had the deceased not attacked a police officer.

If anyone was curious what type of news sites VengeanceQuest reads, I think we have our answer. :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
So, I go to CNN.com to casually check on the election in Israel, but it wasn't on the front page, which would be fine since it's international news about a foreign election, but instead the top headline was a rookie NFL player retiring, followed by such important stories as transgender teen gets reality show, and dog chases truck. I blame myself, I knew where I was going and what I was likely to see, hell, it's the real reason I go there, but my expectations are almost always exceeded.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CNN hasn't been a respectable news source for close to a decade. But I know exactly what you mean. In the back of my head it's still a destination to know what's happening in the world, despite more often than not resulting in frustration rather than information.

I'll still screencap embarrassing "news" from CNN to share with friends :guts:

What news source(s) do you follow Walter, Griffith? I find myself checking The New York Times and Times Of India sometimes, time permitting.

Griffith

Drudge Report, breitbart, the blaze, and Media Busters only, sheeple. :badbone: <-This is the actual face of their readership.

Just kidding, though the truth isn't much better, I mainly stay in touch with current events through mediaite's and gawker's posting of Daily Show clips. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My days of trolling meganews sites for world happenings are long since dead. There's not a single news source that isn't somehow obnoxious to me. So I have to rely on several.

Twitter has become my first source to learn about what's going down, and when I want to dig deeper than 140 characters, I'll Google a few keywords and read from 2-3 sources.

https://archive.is/0GArU

Salon endorses rioting. Even if innocent people get robbed, beaten, or have their livelihoods literally go up in flames.

When those on the outside of struggle—the white, the wealthy, the straight, the able-bodied, the masculine—have demonstrated repeatedly that they do not care, are not invested, are not going to step in the line of fire to defend the oppressed, this [non-violence] is a futile political strategy.

Because the riots were conducted by effeminate gay people in wheel chairs? What the fuck is this terrorist apologist babbling about?

And this:

Riot shaming is a term now.
https://archive.is/nYl39

It really says something when you manage to get even more stupid and divisive than this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/592910662424223744

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
https://archive.is/0GArU

Salon endorses rioting. Even if innocent people get robbed, beaten, or have their livelihoods literally go up in flames.

At the end of that post: "Cross-posted with permission from the blog “Radical Faggot”" Clickbait... success!

Griffith

I wouldn't encourage rioting, but I don't find it more distasteful than unarmed citizens being habitually killed by police with impunity (which is just the most obvious symptom here). I don't understand why people immediately get more worked up about fires and broken windows than that. I guess the fear of legitimate unrest versus the rationalization of authority and the status quo, "Everything's really ok, right? These are just some bad apples?" or that those people don't fear the police problem will actually affect them but civil unrest may. It at least serves to illustrate selective outrage (or experience), but more importantly, it REALLY gets people's attention, and the "legitimate" non-violent protests are seemingly undermined and discredited anyway. It makes me wonder about the canonization of non-violent protesters like MLK and if they aren't a more useful symbol for the status quo than they are for change as they're envoked to undermine or quell communities that feel marginalized enough to riot in the first place ("we promise to take you seriously only if you don't raise hell" uh huh). While there's certainly plenty of bad actors out there, like guys who riot over Lakers championships, I don't think large masses of people take on armored police forces on TV because it's opportune criminal activity.

Anyway, I watched Wolf Blitzer yesterday ask a non-violent protester to condemn the violence ad nauseum like it was his personal responsibility, which the protester obligezed each time, but Wolf couldn't reciprocate once that unwarranted police violence is also unacceptable (practically an axiom). There you go.

Godzilla is now an official citizen of Japan and gets a new job as Tokyo's Tourism Ambassador

Check out this awesome video of the monster in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtKlODF7Sk=50s

And there's this on the inside - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMgujv90Y1o

godzilla-1.jpg

NASA is live streaming a testing of the LDSD or Low Density Supersonic Decelerator - shaped like a saucer, it's got a a doughnut shaped cushion and a strong parachute. They're both designed to slow down the spacecraft as it descends through the Martian atmosphere.

Watch it live here - http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl2

It's reached the altitude it's supposed to and the test might happen very soon.

ldsd20140602-full.jpg

All Systems Go for NASA's Mission to Jupiter Moon Europa

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/europa/newsdisplay.cfm?Subsite_News_ID=38112&SiteID=4

Beyond Earth, Jupiter's moon Europa is considered one of the most promising places in the solar system to search for signs of present-day life, and a new NASA mission to explore this potential is moving forward from concept review to development.

NASA's mission concept -- to conduct a detailed survey of Europa and investigate its habitability -- has successfully completed its first major review by the agency and now is entering the development phase known as formulation.

"Today we're taking an exciting step from concept to mission, in our quest to find signs of life beyond Earth," said John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. "Observations of Europa have provided us with tantalizing clues over the last two decades, and the time has come to seek answers to one of humanity's most profound questions."

NASA's Galileo Mission to Jupiter in the late 1990s produced strong evidence that Europa, about the size of Earth's moon, has an ocean beneath its frozen crust. If proven to exist, this global ocean could hold more than twice as much water as Earth. With abundant salt water, a rocky sea floor, and the energy and chemistry provided by tidal heating, Europa may have the ingredients needed to support simple organisms.

The mission plan calls for a spacecraft to be launched to Jupiter in the 2020s, arriving in the distant planet's orbit after a journey of several years. The spacecraft would orbit the giant planet about every two weeks, providing many opportunities for close flybys of Europa. The mission plan includes 45 flybys, during which the spacecraft would image the moon's icy surface at high resolution and investigate its composition and the structure of its interior and icy shell.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, has been assigned the responsibility of managing the project. JPL has been studying the multiple-flyby mission concept, in collaboration with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) in Laurel, Maryland, since 2011.

Instruments selected for the Europa mission's scientific payload were announced on May 26. Institutions supplying instruments include APL; JPL; Arizona State University, Tempe; the University of Texas at Austin; Southwest Research Institute, San Antonio; and the University of Colorado, Boulder.

"It's a great day for science," said Joan Salute, Europa program executive at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "We are thrilled to pass the first major milestone in the lifecycle of a mission that will ultimately inform us on the habitability of Europa."

NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington conducts a wide variety of research and scientific exploration programs for Earth studies, space weather, the solar system and the universe. The California Institute of Technology manages JPL for NASA.

For more information about NASA's mission to Europa, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/europa

YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1xUyJfd4dY

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds great. Now let's just hope NASA's budget doesn't get shaved down any more, or we won't be able to gather the intel. :ganishka: ... :judo:

Top Bottom